The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland System 8 Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 9th September 2016
Lives for gear

Roland System 8

Surprised that no-one has started a thread specifically for this, so let's drag it out of the car crash that is the '909Day' thread.

Discuss.
Old 9th September 2016
Lives for gear
ok lets get this over with

I love it - sounds analog

i like it -sounds quite analog

I quite like it - sounds a bit analog

Not sure - sounds thinish

Hate it - nasty digital cold

thread over
Old 9th September 2016
Lives for gear

Sounds great.
But again, lacks an octave. This is the year of the 4 octave synths, that's for sure... The jupiter plug-out is as close to the real thing as you can get to my ears. That alone might make it worth it.
Old 9th September 2016
Lives for gear

The official reveal stream is in about 11 hours. Nick Batt has a meeting with David Åhlund start of next week, so expect more System-8 video, featuring fullsome interface, PWM, and singsong harmonics.
Old 9th September 2016
Gear Head
Anyone know the price ?
Old 9th September 2016
Lives for gear

Old 9th September 2016
Gear Maniac

I very much like the System 8's sound and aesthetics.
Old 9th September 2016
Lives for gear

So the questions I have left that'll hopefully be answered soon:
- What do the variation knobs do? Seems like they should do more than what is shown in the Sweetwater video.
- What does the little word/sign next to the LFO rate and filter Cutoff mean? (see attached)
- What is the SD card slot for?
- Full details on the sequencer.
- Full details on what's under the hood/shift functions.
- Will it load any plug-out?
- Will the 106 plug be 8 voices?
- Should we expect updates in the future?

Also, wonder if any of the improvements seen here will trickle down to the System-1/m, and whether or not the System-1/m will be able to use the poly-plug-out.
Attached Thumbnails
Roland System 8-system8-2.jpg  
Old 9th September 2016
Gear Nut

Ugh not a fan of the green / design of this entire series. The jp8 does sound very nice! I wonder what the poly is? A jup8 should have 8 poly right?
Old 9th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
Be useful if it could be limited to six-voice polyphony for some replications.

System 8 will at least get around the polychaining problem of the JP-08 and JU-06.
Old 9th September 2016
Gear Addict

David Åhlund, is going to reveal the new analog O letter topology technology.
David is magic.
Old 9th September 2016
Quote:
So the questions I have left that'll hopefully be answered soon:
- What do the variation knobs do? Seems like they should do more than what is shown in the Sweetwater video.
- What does the little word/sign next to the LFO rate and filter Cutoff mean? (see attached)
- What is the SD card slot for?
- Full details on the sequencer.
- Full details on what's under the hood/shift functions.
- Will it load any plug-out?
- Should we expect updates in the future?

Also, wonder if any of the improvements seen here will trickle down to the System-1/m, and whether or not the System-1/m will be able to use the poly-plug-out.
SD slot loading plugouts possibly plus saving loading patches (similar to USB n roland sh01 gaia)

re poly....upper lower dual will be 4 note each (my guess)
Old 9th September 2016
Lives for gear

Apparently the dual mode "intelligently" spreads the voices so it isn't a straight 4/4 split.
Old 9th September 2016
Lives for gear

Also, I'd like to hear the vocoder and an explanation why there's a stereo input on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
SD slot loading plugouts possibly plus saving loading patches (similar to USB n roland sh01 gaia)

I think it's only for the plugs, but it's a guess. For patches they'd use an additional button so that you can select between internal banks and USB/external and I'm not seeing that here.
Old 9th September 2016
Gear Maniac

Is this a plastic housing? It would be really nice if it were aluminum
Old 9th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
You're not saying the JP8 and Juno 106 plugouts are limited to four-voice polyphony are you? That would be crazy.
Old 9th September 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licudi View Post
You're not saying the JP8 and Juno 106 plugouts are limited to four-voice polyphony are you? That would be crazy.
limited to 4 note poly WHEN layered or the keyboard is split, YES

it's will be a DSP limitation..hence the name system 8 (8 voice)

8 voice poly with 1 plugout running
Old 9th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
limited to 4 note poly WHEN layered or the keyboard is split, YES

it's will be a DSP limitation..hence the name system 8 (8 voice)

8 voice poly with 1 plugout running
Thanks for the info. That may be okay for layering. Re split, it would be make more sense to me if the user could decide the voice allocation. For example, six-note poly for the 106 and remainder for the JP8.
Old 9th September 2016
Gear Head

Roland = some new technology, so its analogue, but not really. We just use a new cool sounding word.

no wonder how they can make it 8 voices for under 1500 bucks.

Skeptical as hell.
Old 9th September 2016
Lives for gear

-I think the variation knobs are for additional waveforms in the oscillators and LFO(s?)... like the System1 and System1m firmware update...

-I also think the SD card is for saving/exporting patches (nice without a computer), and possibly loading plug outs without a computer... hmmm

-Sequencer looks interesting...different modes... what else can you sequence other then notes etc? Hoping here for some other things..... (can it kind of be or act as a 2nd LFO... meaning more in terms of modulation to a patch or whatnot? If so,....cool...

-looks like plenty of patch memory locations at least, and easy to get to if it does what it looks like- 8X8 for Sys8 engine, plus another for each plug out I hope?

-Under the hood.... no idea, setting midi channels? viewing parameters/ sequencer information... Hopefully not too much menu diving... I get confused with navigating the JDXA sometimes, or quickly getting to things... but firmware updates have/can help this sort of thing...

-I'd imagine it can load the older plug outs, even if they probably are going to have to be recoded a bit... I really like the idea of an SH101 on one layer and something else... I can imagine the DSP horsepower on this is a lot higher then the System1, and if a lot of our computers can get hurt with say the System100 plug out, or the ProMars, I imagine a poly Jupiter8 at the System 8's resolution would probably be akin to Diva in divine mode or heavier! (but that's one of the reasons we are looking at this product...!)

-I'm with BobtheDog here in hoping it has dynamic allocation... I wouldn't want 4 voices for a mono SH-2, (will those go poly? don't really know if I want that other then to try, but I tried the hack on NI's Reaktor to make Monark poly, and maybe it was too much of a good thing..)

-stereo input- gotta be like most other synths in that you can feed audio into it, and utilize the filters and FX, and obviously the vocoder... (or ha! toss away all your Apogees and RME's, THIS is the new A/D king..)

-Jupiter8 HAS to be 8 voices, otherwise heads will roll and these forum threads will light up, well, more then they already have..

-If the 106 is 8 voices, will THAT anger people?

- and there will HAVE to be updates I imagine... too much on the table here.. 2 plug outs looking to be announced at launch, I would only imagine the older ones, Jupiter 4/6? ...I'm a sucker myself for their old stringers... but no idea...

- and I know it's a silly thing, as I don't get too bent about aesthetics as much unless they get in the way of workflow (ahem, again JDXA...), but I can see the wooden side cheeks for these things coming from a mile away, in addition to probably some customized overlays.... pimp my synth...)

just my 2 cents/hopes... will definitely be checking out later today!
Old 9th September 2016
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogberto View Post
Surprised that no-one has started a thread specifically for this, so let's drag it out of the car crash that is the '909Day' thread.

Discuss.
Can't see sh1t captain!
Old 9th September 2016
Lives for gear

Sweetwater made the video private, I guess Roland weren't too happy about its early release.
Old 9th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sweetwater made the video private, I guess Roland weren't too happy about its early release.
Embargo breakers get slapped.
Old 9th September 2016
Lives for gear

I have to say in that video when the view was from above, I was surprised at how attractive the thing was to look at with the green lights on the controls and sliders only.
Old 9th September 2016
Lives for gear

If the plug outs come preloaded, do we still get the plug ins to use them ITB? that was one of the big features for me.

Also I am happy they included two, and for now seems enough, happy to add a System 100 or a Promars for leads/bass.

4 part multitimbrality would have been great, maybe even 3: bass, leads and pads.
Old 9th September 2016
Lives for gear

I would be interested if build quality was better /durable .
At around 1 min in the video when he pushes the plugout button , you actually see the whole board flexing .
Old 9th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
If the plug outs come preloaded, do we still get the plug ins to use them ITB? that was one of the big features for me.

Also I am happy they included two, and for now seems enough, happy to add a System 100 or a Promars for leads/bass.

$ part multitimbrality would have been great, maybe even 3: bass, leads and pads.
I wonder.... but login, do you think that most peeps cpu's could handle the strain of them ITB? It's one thing for the SH101 etc, one voice, but I imagine this thing has WAY more chips doing heavy lifting...

but would absolutely be cool if they gave them to you if you bought the System8...
Old 9th September 2016
Lives for gear

Some of Roland's 909 Day releases have looked to the past, such as the TR-09 or TB-03. Some, like the Aerophone, have looked ahead. The Roland SYSTEM-8 PLUG-OUT Synthesizer manages to do both.

As a standalone synth, the SYSTEM-8 provides a broader palette than almost anything else out there. Using Roland's Analog Circuit Behavior modeling, it offers eight voices and three oscillators, with an additional sub-oscillator option. Add in high-resolution controls, wide-ranging LFOs, an integrated vocoder, an arpeggiator and a polyphonic step-sequencer, and there are few sounds the SYSTEM-8 cannot generate.

It also has three expansion ports meant to pair with Roland's plug-out software synths. Plug-outs for the classic JUPITER-8 and JUNO-106 (available in 2017) will be included with the SYSTEM-8. Previously released plug-out synths will also eventually be supported by the SYSTEM-8.

The focus here was preserving analog sound and feel with modern, high-resolution real-time control parameters. Advanced high-pass, low-pass and side-band (from the V-Synth) filters, a gamut of effects, and a built-in vocoder all have easy hands-on knob and slider controls.
[...]

If you're not an analog circuit purist, it's hard to make a case against the new SYSTEM-8. It's a single tool that can satisfy your nostalgic need for classic tones and also let you explore new soundscapes that haven't traditionally been possible. We can't wait to hear how artists use this in the coming years. - Reverb
I'm really happy about the sideband filters

You access them by using the variation knob in the filter section. The variation knob in the oscillator gives you access to the waves that were added to the System-1 in an update (1:08 and after):

I hope Roland sees the variation knobs as an opportunity to add even more oscillator, filter, and LFO (still unclear what the LFO variation knob does) options.
Old 9th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm really happy about the sideband filters

I hope Roland sees the variation knobs as an opportunity to add even more oscillator, filter, and LFO (still unclear what the LFO variation knob does) options.
cool, were the sideband filters introduced in the Vsynth right? ... and dollars to donuts, thats exactly what the variation knobs are....! (and further potential in later firmware updates etc....)
Old 9th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestermagneto View Post
I wonder.... but login, do you think that most peeps cpu's could handle the strain of them ITB? It's one thing for the SH101 etc, one voice, but I imagine this thing has WAY more chips doing heavy lifting...

but would absolutely be cool if they gave them to you if you bought the System8...
We will have to test then, I just tried the system 1 plug out and with its 4 voice polyphony it used around 18% on my i7 4790k at 64 samples (RME interface). At 128 samples it would be even lower.

So If the poly plug outs are double that they will use 36% per instance if you use all the voices at once. Not bad.

I like that kind of "integration" more than overbridge or the virus ti because you don't need to hook the HW all the time. I can program patches on the HW, use them in the plug in and the other way too.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search