The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland System 8
Old 22nd January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrinsen ➡️
I’m sorry to say but this is one big omission of the S8.. it is just a fixed (and way too less imo) detune amount

Aw bummer. It seems to have slightly more width with the condition maxed out but yeah, seems like a big oversight not giving us more explicit control over detune. Even free VST soft synths usually check that box, heh. Oh well. There's always the supersaw wave.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild ➡️
You're replying to a post from a month ago. I don't think anyone is focused it.
Hey, when you're 41 years old a month isn't that long ago.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild ➡️
Nice sounds. Enjoy! I've had my System-8 for almost two years and it still gets used every day.
Thanks man! I discovered after recording those clips that the input on my Fireface 802 that I connected my System 8 to had the input gain set at +15db! lol. I was wondering why the heck the output of the S8 was so hot compared to my other synths. Smh.
In my excitement to play the S8 when I first got it, I yanked a pair of audio cables from a drum machine with very low output and plugged them into the S8, hence why that channel was cranked. I'm getting even smoother sounds now that my gain staging isn't ridiculous.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinettl ➡️
I know I'm quoting an old reply but I'm a new System 8 owner and was under the impression there is just one LFO. Is there some second LFO available through some special button combination or was this user mistaken? Thanks.
Technically speaking there's only one "proper" LFO, but:

"The Variations

The AIRA SYSTEM-8 offers 3 LFO variations that enables you to access the full power of its engine. Variation 1 works as the standard LFO configuration, with options for Sine, Triangle, Rising Sawtooth, Square, Sample&Hold, and Random, as discussed above. Variation 2 is a dual LFO, created using a second separate LFO. The second LFO is comprised of a sine wave, 5 octaves lower. The waveform options are the same as Variation 1, with the LFO rate modulated by the second LFO."

Greg
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Thanks, Greg. Yeah I'm aware of the different LFO modes but it sounds like the "dual" mode is fixed at one LFO modulating the other, a configuration I frankly seldom would ever need. For my purposes, I like a faster LFO for pitch/vibrato and a slower one for, say, PWM or some other textural aspect of the sound. Still though, I bought the Sys8 under the impression it had but one LFO so I'm not complaining. It would have just been a pleasant surprise if there was a second one tucked in there somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregkoNYC ➡️
Technically speaking there's only one "proper" LFO, but:

"The Variations

The AIRA SYSTEM-8 offers 3 LFO variations that enables you to access the full power of its engine. Variation 1 works as the standard LFO configuration, with options for Sine, Triangle, Rising Sawtooth, Square, Sample&Hold, and Random, as discussed above. Variation 2 is a dual LFO, created using a second separate LFO. The second LFO is comprised of a sine wave, 5 octaves lower. The waveform options are the same as Variation 1, with the LFO rate modulated by the second LFO."

Greg
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks, Greg. Yeah I'm aware of the different LFO modes but it sounds like the "dual" mode is fixed at one LFO modulating the other, a configuration I frankly seldom would ever need. For my purposes, I like a faster LFO for pitch/vibrato and a slower one for, say, PWM or some other textural aspect of the sound. Still though, I bought the Sys8 under the impression it had but one LFO so I'm not complaining. It would have just been a pleasant surprise if there was a second one tucked in there somewhere.
I agree that the 2nd LFO isn't all that useful in most cases, since it's not tunable..

In any case - Congratulations on your S8!

Greg
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey, when you're 41 years old a month isn't that long ago.
That’s true. All of 2020 up and vanished like a fart in the wind for me.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know I'm quoting an old reply but I'm a new System 8 owner and was under the impression there is just one LFO. Is there some second LFO available through some special button combination or was this user mistaken? Thanks.
There is practically just one LFO. You can use the sequencer as a step LFO though.

And if you really need 2 LFO’s you can load up the System-100 plug-out, but then you will lose polyphony (but gain a lot of other nice stuff).

Quote:
Aw bummer. It seems to have slightly more width with the condition maxed out but yeah, seems like a big oversight not giving us more explicit control over detune. Even free VST soft synths usually check that box, heh. Oh well. There's always the supersaw wave.
Yeah, well like discussed a couple of posts above, there are tricks like using chorus on top and using a performance to stack two of the same sounds and then detune /pan spread them from eachother.

And usually the supersaw wave is sufficient anyway.
Old 22nd January 2021
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The System 100 plugout does have two lfo's but you acces the second in the menus.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by login ➡️
The System 100 plugout does have two lfo's but you acces the second in the menus.
Yeah that’s a shame. They should’ve made it possible to select the other LFO with the variation knob
Gear Nut

Hey, friends. Brian from Roland Cloud here. We've got some news about all things Roland in 2021 from NAMM's Believe in Music week. Check out this special edition of Synth Talk for more info. Thanks! 😊

https://believeinmusic.app.swapcard....5pbmdfMzA3NzYy
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMcClelland ➡️
Hey, friends. Brian from Roland Cloud here. We've got some news about all things Roland in 2021 from NAMM's Believe in Music week. Check out this special edition of Synth Talk for more info. Thanks! 😊

https://believeinmusic.app.swapcard....5pbmdfMzA3NzYy
The link doesn’t work here for some reason or is it just for important people!!
Lives for gear

Coming soon....

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ooh 😮 lookin’ good
Old 22nd January 2021
Gear Nut

Quote:
Someone (much) earlier in the thread suggested setting osc 1 at a high octave and osc 2 at its lowest and using cross-mod to have osc 2 as an lfo applied to the pitch of osc 1. Sounds good but a bit fiddly to set the depth.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaintjohn ➡️
Coming soon....

I mean.... it's cool they're doing another ACB Plugout that we can install on our System 8's at least but... sort of wished they had done the JX-8P instead. the Juno 60 is so close to the Juno 106 that we already have, I just don't know if I'd use it.

But there's enough of a difference between the 3P and the 8P that I feel like it could have been far cooler. But... that's just me. Just glad we're getting a new Plug-Out at least. Now I don't feel like my System 8 is abandonware.
Old 22nd January 2021
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I really hope roland one day brings emulations of other companies classics, CS80, P6, OBX in the System 8 would be dope.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I too love that they're still doing ACB - Jupiter 4, 6, JX-8P come on let go!!
Old 22nd January 2021
Lives for gear
The JU-06A included the Juno-60 ACB model and it has been available for awhile now, so I’m not sure if I would consider the plugout to be new ACB.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discopotato ➡️
The JU-06A included the Juno-60 ACB model and it has been available for awhile now, so I’m not sure if I would consider the plugout to be new ACB.
It hasn't been available on the System 8, though. Also, the JU-06A is a Boutique module that is missing some things and only 4 voices (the Juno 60 is 6 voices). Has anyone ever compared the JU-06A Boutque's Juno 106 to the Roland Cloud ACB 106?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsauca ➡️
The link doesn’t work here for some reason or is it just for important people!!
You have to register a free "believe in music" account. There's a 32 minute NAMM video from Roland behind the wall. Pretty cool.
Old 23rd January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaintjohn ➡️
Coming soon....

Nice to see continued development, but if it requires that bi-weekly Roland Cloud phone-home, I'll have to give it a miss.
Deleted 4d80fd1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Releaux ➡️
Nice to see continued development, but if it requires that bi-weekly Roland Cloud phone-home, I'll have to give it a miss.
Seriously just to have it installed on your system 8? If so, this is ridiculous, honestly.
Old 23rd January 2021
Gear Nut

Once it's loaded into the System 8 there are no authentication checks. How would that even work on a hardware synth?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 4d80fd1 ➡️
Seriously just to have it installed on your system 8? If so, this is ridiculous, honestly.
I tend to agree..
Attached Thumbnails
Roland System 8-screen-shot-2021-01-22-6.32.32-pm.png  
Deleted 4d80fd1
Tbh, I was baffled how that would work. I know it isn't a requirement of other plugins which I own and keep on my computer so don't have to use to cloud to access them. I just wasn't sure if this somehow required you to link up to the cloud to keep it working past two weeks since it is kind of like a vst inside a hardware device. I've avoided the roland cloud like the plague so I wasn't sure.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Tbh, I was baffled how that would work. I know it isn't a requirement of other plugins which I own and keep on my computer so don't have to use to cloud to access them. I just wasn't sure if this somehow required you to link up to the cloud to keep it working past two weeks since it is kind of like a vst inside a hardware device. I've avoided the roland cloud like the plague so I wasn't sure.
Once it’s in the System-8 it’s there until you remove it. The phone home only for the computer side.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Of course not. Just like any Plug-Out, once it’s installed on your System 8, you can cancel your Roland Cloud account and never go back. Your System 8 and all installed Plug-Outs will continue to work just fine. No need to “phone home”.
Deleted 4d80fd1
I mean that makes sense to me but I came in and saw the post I quoted. This is the system 8 thread not the roland plug out cloud thread so it seemed a not so crazy extrapolation from Releaux's post. But I get it I'm sure we can all give it a rest now.
📝 Reply