The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland System 8
Old 22nd November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogColonic View Post
I bought an LED bulb and I like how the pink compliments the green. It's nicer to look at now.

So anyway...

I find I don't use the JX3P plugout and want to replace it with a mono. Any recommendations?

I hear good things about the SH2 as a Duran Duran fan, but want to give the Promars a chance too, and the others. They will be used for spacey synth rock.
The System-100 is really good! And you can patch everything from the menu
Deleted 1833845
Quote:
I bought an LED bulb and I like how the pink compliments the green. It's nicer to look at now.

So anyway...

I find I don't use the JX3P plugout and want to replace it with a mono. Any recommendations?

I hear good things about the SH2 as a Duran Duran fan, but want to give the Promars a chance too, and the others. They will be used for spacey synth rock.
My preference was the SH2 but they both sound good.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

So anyway...

SH-2 is amazing. I had the real thing for a few years and when this plug-in came out I was able to sell it without feeling bad. Definitely better than ProMars.
Old 24th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
My recommendation is to get to know the JX-3P and give it another chance. At first I thought it was pretty similar to the Juno-106 and I don’t really need both, but I ended up making some of my favorite patches (on the entire System-8) on the JX-3P. Watch Mathew Johnson’s video and see if it changes your mind:

If it still doesn’t grab you, then yeah, the SH-2 and ProMars are the best monosynths. The System-100 sounds great too, but IMO isn’t a good fit for a plugout, since you only have access to a subset of parameters and have to use menus instead of dragging cables. I feel like it’s kind of a waste to use a monophonic plugout on an 8-voice poly synth (the System-1 seems like a better way to use those), but if you aren’t digging the JX-3P, it’s not like there are any other poly plugouts, so you might as well.

There’s also the SH-101, but if you’re interested in that, skip the plugout and get the SH-01A, because it’s way better (not the sound quality; the features).
Old 4th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

System-100 plug-out Key assign?

Hi guys,

I'm currently enjoying the System-100 as a plug-out in my System-8.

There is a possibility to change the Key assignment from Low to Last in the plugin version. Does anyone know how to change this on the System-8?

I'm afraid it is not possible, so in the meantime I just have 1 basic template saved as a patch on my System-8 which I use instead of Initializing the patch, but it would be great to know how to actually change it on the hardware.
Here for the gear
Press the mono button to switch between first and last note priority on the hardware. I’ve also got the system-100 on my system-8 and also the sh-2 on my system-1.
Sh-2 is better for more warm 70s style basses and leads and system-100 is an absolute techno monster beast. If you’re into modulation the system-100 is the way to go
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.reginald View Post
Press the mono button to switch between first and last note priority on the hardware. I’ve also got the system-100 on my system-8 and also the sh-2 on my system-1.
Sh-2 is better for more warm 70s style basses and leads and system-100 is an absolute techno monster beast. If you’re into modulation the system-100 is the way to go
Cool thanks! Yes I really like the System-100 also adds a totally different flavor to the S8
Old 7th December 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
https://www.instagram.com/p/CEiB_JJlRL_/
I figured I'd drop this here in case anyone was considering changing out the green LED's in the S8... it can be done, its just a little tedious!
Now on mine they are so white they look almost cool blue. I do think it makes it look better. I left the sequencer multi-colored LED's the same.
(Yes, I have both aluminum and wood ends on mine for further analog sound)
Old 7th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Yeah white LEDs would be really nice. I call the S8 the green goblin. Green is one of my least favorite LED colors.
Lives for gear

21 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Those white LEDs look incredible. I was never bothered by the green ones until right now.

Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsubs View Post
I figured I'd drop this here in case anyone was considering changing out the green LED's in the S8... it can be done, its just a little tedious!
Now on mine they are so white they look almost cool blue. I do think it makes it look better. I left the sequencer multi-colored LED's the same.
Those are awesome news. Is it tedious because of the size and placement of the leds or because there are so many to resolder?
Old 7th December 2020
Deleted 72b6a74
Nice. I'd love to have the red LEDS of the JDXA in the S8... and the screen red too.

You don't take on jobs do you?
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I’m about to mod mine to orange leds!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
That's bad ass! How did you mod them? Did you have to de-solder and re-solder new LED's?
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Answer: I didn't do the de-solder/solder in new ones, I had a local tech do it. I think he ordered a pack of 100 leds. It took him about 4 hours. This was tedious because they are each about the size of this font letter: o
I love it now!

To add commentary to this thread, I also have a Jupiter-X, and while the build quality of that is maybe the best Roland synth ever manufactured, the sound just isn't as good and the interface constantly aggravates me.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Answer: I didn't do the de-solder/solder in new ones, I had a local tech do it. I think he ordered a pack of 100 leds. It took him about 4 hours. This was tedious because they are each about the size of this font letter: o
I love it now!
Very cool! So the next question - what did it cost you total out the door? I realize you're in CO and the market where I'm at is different, but I need a baseline. I'll reach out to some local electric repair shops here as well but don't want to get gouged.
Old 8th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I believe he charged me $25/hour, so $75 to do it.

....now if i can just get a fatar keybed in there!!
Old 8th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I believe he charged me $25/hour, so $75 to do it.

....now if i can just get a fatar keybed in there!!

A local tech in Colorado charges you just $25/hour? In Oregon it would be $75 to just open it up.
Old 9th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
My recommendation is to get to know the JX-3P and give it another chance. At first I thought it was pretty similar to the Juno-106 and I don’t really need both, but I ended up making some of my favorite patches (on the entire System-8) on the JX-3P. Watch Mathew Johnson’s video and see if it changes your mind:

If it still doesn’t grab you, then yeah, the SH-2 and ProMars are the best monosynths. The System-100 sounds great too, but IMO isn’t a good fit for a plugout, since you only have access to a subset of parameters and have to use menus instead of dragging cables. I feel like it’s kind of a waste to use a monophonic plugout on an 8-voice poly synth (the System-1 seems like a better way to use those), but if you aren’t digging the JX-3P, it’s not like there are any other poly plugouts, so you might as well.

There’s also the SH-101, but if you’re interested in that, skip the plugout and get the SH-01A, because it’s way better (not the sound quality; the features).
Having tried all the mono plugouts, each has its own strength:
- ProMars for juicy leads (and dedicated alternate tune button for VCO2);
- SH2 for bass;
- System 100 for modulation;
- SH101 for... rubbery bass? Pales compared to the others.

To me, bass tones are the most difficult patches to coax out of a synth, so the SH2 happily replaces the JX3P just for its "Oct Bass" patch.
Promars and SH101 just lose a lot of low end with higher resonance values, and the System 100 is not as fun and immediate to me.

JX3P goes away because I don't like its base sound. I'm still waiting for the JX8P plugout though...

Last edited by MocciJ; 9th December 2020 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: Quote missing
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MocciJ View Post
Having tried all the mono plugouts, each has its own strength:
- ProMars for juicy leads (and dedicated alternate tune button for VCO2);
- SH2 for bass;
- System 100 for modulation;
- SH101 for... rubbery bass? Pales compared to the others.

To me, bass tones are the most difficult patches to coax out of a synth, so the SH2 happily replaces the JX3P just for its "Oct Bass" patch.
Promars and SH101 just lose a lot of low end with higher resonance values, and the System 100 is not as fun and immediate to me.

JX3P goes away because I don't like its base sound. I'm still waiting for the JX8P plugout though...
The Sh-2 loses a lot more low end when raising the resonance than the Sh-101..
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrinsen View Post
The Sh-2 loses a lot more low end when raising the resonance than the Sh-101..
You are correct, I was remembering wrong (I only have the SH2 now installed). Still, I get better results for bass duties than the SH101.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MocciJ View Post
You are correct, I was remembering wrong (I only have the SH2 now installed). Still, I get better results for bass duties than the SH101.
I like the Sh-101 more for trancy plucky basses, but the Sh-2 is better for growling basses

The System-100 is also very good for bass btw

For some reason I didn’t really gel with the Promars.
Old 9th December 2020
Gear Nut

I browsed through the monos and found I liked the presets on the ProMars the best.

I decided not to load a mono into the System 8 as I'm probably buying a year of Roland Cloud Ultimate, so I'll use the Plug-in versions instead for now.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I browsed through the monos and found I liked the presets on the ProMars the best.

I decided not to load a mono into the System 8 as I'm probably buying a year of Roland Cloud Ultimate, so I'll use the Plug-in versions instead for now.
You can freely swap any of the mono plug-outs while subscribing for Roland Cloud Ultimate even when you cancel the subscription, the plug-out that’s in your hardware will stay there until you remove it.
Old 11th December 2020
Gear Nut

Does anyone happen to have a copy of the System-8 firmware version 1.20? I like to keep copies of older stuff like that and thought I had it but cant find it anywhere.
Old 12th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobaltCommittee View Post
Does anyone happen to have a copy of the System-8 firmware version 1.20? I like to keep copies of older stuff like that and thought I had it but cant find it anywhere.
You can find all the S8 updates here:

https://www.rsamusic.co.za/support/b...dates_drivers/
Old 12th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcmusic35 View Post
You can find all the S8 updates here:

https://www.rsamusic.co.za/support/b...dates_drivers/
Wow thanks for this link! Its interesting to me that Roland isn't consistent among their websites as I couldn't find this on the US site. Thanks again!
Old 14th December 2020
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Curiosity got the best of me and I have one of these on the way now. I think what keeps calling to me is that it's got the models of all three original Boutique synths on it. Those things were surprisingly good and very convincing.
Old 14th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Curiosity got the best of me and I have one of these on the way now. I think what keeps calling to me is that it's got the models of all three original Boutique synths on it. Those things were surprisingly good and very convincing.
You won't regret it. Had one when they first appeared, sold it and went down the DSI route. Fast forward a few years DSfi stuff gone, Jupiter X and another System 8 installed. The System 8 appears much improved with the latest firmware etc onboard. This time it stays!
Old 15th December 2020 | Show parent
Deleted 72b6a74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Good call. It's the one synth I haven't sold. About a dozen others have came and went.

Unless Roland make a MKII that is 100% backward compatible (FX, filters and everything) then it will stay with me forever.
📝 Reply