The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland System 8
Old 2nd December 2018
Deleted c74c961
nice... soundscapes, textures and pads are my thing

"transfer to system-8" could that be the beginnings of a web based librarian for S8?
Old 2nd December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
Fantastic! A few questions for all you S8 owners: Are the Aira patch libraries only for the native S8 engine? How do you organize your bonus patches? Do you put them all on SD cards and load entire banks at a time? Do you just choose select patches; i.e., "favorites?" And so on . . .
So far (and I suspect will probably continue to be the case), they're all for the native S8 engine, rather than the poly plug-outs. But they also released a lot of patches for various System-1 synths, such as the S1 banks here, or the SH-101 banks here. For others like Promars, SH-2, etc, search the Roland site for the synth and go to the downloads section of each to see what's available.

For the poly plug-outs (J8, 106, JX3P), Roland has only released what's included with those plug-outs. But there's some great 3rd party patches out there from GEOSynths, Carma Studio and Barbandco worth taking a look at.

Speaking for myself, I put these bonus patches on the SD card, and go through the painful process of importing them one by one. Each of these bonus packages usually includes only 16 new patches. So I will try to group 4 of them (4 x 16 = 64) into a complete bank. For instance, I built a custom "Roland Synthwave FM" bank that includes Synthwave Vols 1 & 2, Inspitred FM and FM Attack. Then I use the Roland Cloud System-8 software to import and save that bank for future use (and for use in the VSTs). Further, I use it to pick and choose favorites from my own patches, the Roland patches, and 3rd party patches to build a few often used favorites.

Honestly, if it weren't for the RC software, this would be a painful nightmare and probably not worth trying to organize a bunch of variations on SD card alone. But the System-8 itself has proven to be the most versatile synth in my gear, so it's been worth the extra effort and expense. And with hundreds of patches made freely available by Roland for all of these synths/plugouts, I'm not going to complain too much.
Old 2nd December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidizer View Post
"transfer to system-8" could that be the beginnings of a web based librarian for S8?
Well, holy sh*t. That must be new? They're using WebMIDI to send these directly to the S8, bypassing the DAW completely. Gotta try this out. That's fantastic, and another step forward!
Old 3rd December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaintjohn View Post
Speaking for myself, I put these bonus patches on the SD card, and go through the painful process of importing them one by one . . .
Hey, thanks for the detailed reply, rsaintjohn! Much appreciated!
Old 3rd December 2018
Lives for gear

Indeed, rsaintjohn, much appreciated for the detail and for letting us know about the Vectors. They sound awesome. I'm not at my studio right now so I can't "transfer to System 8" but that has me very intrigued. Anyone try it yet?
Old 3rd December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffybox View Post
Indeed, rsaintjohn, much appreciated for the detail and for letting us know about the Vectors. They sound awesome. I'm not at my studio right now so I can't "transfer to System 8" but that has me very intrigued. Anyone try it yet?
Yes, it worked flawlessly!

MacBook Air with Google Chrome, USB cable between the laptop and the System-8. Chose "Transfer to System-8" and it connects to a page with the patches arranged in banks (A, B, C, etc, but Vectors is only 16 patches, so A and B only). Clicked Send and within seconds the patch was on the System-8. I just loaded the whole Vectors bank, start to finish, in less than 5 min. Now I can transfer it back to the laptop and Roland Cloud in a minute and add it to a custom full bank.

One mouse click and 4 clicks to Write. SO much faster than browsing through the SD card and the Import function, which is can take 20-30 minutes of repetitive stress to do the same. Well done, Roland!

Can't wait to see where this goes from here. BIG thanks to @ Acidizer ! I didn't notice that transfer button, and had already downloaded the zip to prepare for the unpleasant task of using the SD card. Saved me tons of time.
Old 3rd December 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaintjohn View Post
Yes, it worked flawlessly!

MacBook Air with Google Chrome, USB cable between the laptop and the System-8. Chose "Transfer to System-8" and it connects to a page with the patches arranged in banks (A, B, C, etc, but Vectors is only 16 patches, so A and B only). Clicked Send and within seconds the patch was on the System-8. I just loaded the whole Vectors bank, start to finish, in less than 5 min. Now I can transfer it back to the laptop and Roland Cloud in a minute and add it to a custom full bank.

One mouse click and 4 clicks to Write. SO much faster than browsing through the SD card and the Import function, which is can take 20-30 minutes of repetitive stress to do the same. Well done, Roland!

Can't wait to see where this goes from here. BIG thanks to @ Acidizer ! I didn't notice that transfer button, and had already downloaded the zip to prepare for the unpleasant task of using the SD card. Saved me tons of time.
Had the same experience and did the same thing using Chrome on Windows 10. I still don't get why they just don't provide the option of using Cloud compatible banks for easy transfer (at least for those with a sub), but the 'Transfer to System-8" directly from the browser is far superior to using an SD Card for the transfers.
Old 3rd December 2018
Lives for gear

yay we're talking about the System-8 again :P

The Vectors patches are really emphasising the FM side of the S8. I sense a movement at Roland here :P
Old 3rd December 2018
Pip
Lives for gear

Pretty please can we have a librarian ROLAND.
Old 5th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
Pretty please can we have a librarian ROLAND.
You should of received the librarian with your roland account.

roland.us/downloads/System8Librarian
Old 5th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by d33psp33d View Post
You should of received the librarian with your roland account.

roland.us/downloads/System8Librarian
Eh what??
Old 15th December 2018
Deleted c74c961
@ studio460

Old 15th December 2018
Cool! Thanks! Can't wait to load these up!
Old 15th December 2018
Loaded that Vangelis set last week, and it's pretty amazing. Definitely hope to hear more from Antonio at GPR. In fact, I got an update today that includes a new tone for Chung Kuo!
Old 25th December 2018
Lives for gear

Hi, I recently tried a system-8 in store. I really liked the functional layout of the thing and the sounds. Just a quick question, would you consider this a synth for musicians looking more for mainly "retro" sounds? If so, what is the equivalent of a hardware synth that has more "modern" sounds.
Old 25th December 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
Do you make music or just sit playing with an oscilloscope?

I've got a 106 next to my S8. The character is captured perfectly in the emulation.

Music is all about character. Recreating that is pretty much what you want.

But if I did have the time or inclination to draw graphs to support my forum pedantry, I'd have a pretty difficult time highlighting clear differences between the S8 and those it serves to emulate.

This forum has got progressively worse over the past year or so. Click on any thread for some informed commentary and you invariably enter into a ****storm of imbecile opinion and have to dig heavily for the decent contributors.
This forum is full of people who've invested in analog gear and/or selling it that just can't stand it if people can get basically the same in a plug-in, VA synth or even Behringer knock-off for a fraction of the vintage prices. They will always tell you nothing else can substitute because they are artificially trying to keep prices for the OGs as high as possible. I have no idea why anyone would pay $10+ plus for a JP-8 or $7k+ for a P5 at this point.
Old 25th December 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia View Post
This forum is full of people who've invested in analog gear and/or selling it that just can't stand it if people can get basically the same in a plug-in, VA synth or even Behringer knock-off for a fraction of the vintage prices. They will always tell you nothing else can substitute because they are artificially trying to keep prices for the OGs as high as possible. I have no idea why anyone would pay $10+ plus for a JP-8 or $7k+ for a P5 at this point.

It’s not about the sound alone, that you can or cannot recreate with a plug-in. It is about owning something special, memories of your favorite band or musician. If you grew up in the 80s and listened to synth music a Jupiter 8 is on your bucket list . I could never afford any of the synth you mentioned but if I had the money I would definitely buy them... all :-) Merry Christmas
Old 25th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecode View Post
Hi, I recently tried a system-8 in store. I really liked the functional layout of the thing and the sounds. Just a quick question, would you consider this a synth for musicians looking more for mainly "retro" sounds? If so, what is the equivalent of a hardware synth that has more "modern" sounds.
The S8 can do both, but for a more modern sound I think the Virus, Ultranova, Blofeld.
Old 29th December 2018
Deleted cec0d5b
Quote:
Originally Posted by telecode View Post
The Jupiter 8, Juno 106 and JX-3P plugouts are as retro as they come and the System-8 engine can sound incredibly modern (I exclusively use this engine).

It's an excellent synth all round, IMO.
Old 29th December 2018
Gear Addict

Roland Cloud on Facebook just made a post about the ProMars. If you have a moment, write a comment (or reply to mine) and ask Roland to open up the monosynth plug-outs to have full polyphony. I know there is a lot of us that would love it. My dream would be to have a polyphonic ProMars.

Roland Cloud - Paired with the advantage of two VCOs, the... | Facebook

Thanks!
Old 29th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthient Sound View Post
Roland Cloud on Facebook just made a post about the ProMars. If you have a moment, write a comment (or reply to mine) and ask Roland to open up the monosynth plug-outs to have full polyphony. I know there is a lot of us that would love it. My dream would be to have a polyphonic ProMars.

Thanks!
Oh man Id totally dump the jupiter plug for one of these!
Old 30th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks!
Essentially a Jupiter 4 right?
Old 30th December 2018
Here for the gear

Anyone know if there's a way to edit parameters on both parts / panels simultaneously on the system 8? I know you can do this with the Rev2...

Thanks!
Old 30th December 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranzee View Post
Essentially a Jupiter 4 right?
As far as I understand, but importantly with two VCOs (which makes a big difference for me). Plus, RC could give us 8 voices of polyphony instead of just the four of the JP4.
Old 30th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamMeUp View Post
Anyone know if there's a way to edit parameters on both parts / panels simultaneously on the system 8? I know you can do this with the Rev2...

Thanks!
No, you only select one active part, Lower or Upper, to edit at one time
Old 30th December 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:

Thanks!
I hope they catch the ball. I responded even with a picture of my Promars but strangely got no feedback from Roland or anyone.
Old 30th December 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jauly View Post
I hope they catch the ball. I responded even with a picture of my Promars but strangely got no feedback from Roland or anyone.
Nice, beautiful Promars...wish I had one!
Old 3rd January 2019
Lives for gear

Do you have to buy the expansion cards for the system 8 or are these simply software vsts that are controlled with the system 8 synth?
Old 3rd January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you have to buy the expansion cards for the system 8 or are these simply software vsts that are controlled with the system 8 synth?
They are software vsts that can be controlled from or loaded to the s8.

But the S8 comes with 3 already installed.
Old 3rd January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
There are no physical "expansion cards". The System-8 has 3 virtual slots for "plug-out", in addition to the native System-8 engine. If you have a fully updated System-8, those slots are occupied by Jupiter-8, Juno-106 and JX-3P plug-outs ... you don't have to purchase anything to get them. (If you have an earlier released System-8, you'll need to download and apply the update).

You can replace any of these slots with a plug-out from Roland's online content store.

The Roland Cloud is a separate service by which you can get access to VSTs. There's some overlap, hence the confusion on the part of many.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear