The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland System 8 Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 1 week ago
  #6661
Lives for gear
 
Acidizer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by magikroom View Post
Well, i'm going to do a Bundle with a Back Up included, so as long as users back up their machine first, they can use my back up and get all 3 Synth Engines loaded with my Patches and also the 64 Performances. In the backup, I have the FM Collection loaded in the System 8 Engine and would have to use the Import or Plug-In to repalce with the first Bank of System 8 Patches I made just prior to the update...But of course, the Performances won't match as you point out.
it's a TOTAL pain in the arse, and we shouldn't need to, but there are benefits to backing up and starting afresh to give you breathing space to work and experiment again. it's so labourious and self defeating though, fix this garbage roland!!

it must not be possible at the moment, since loading individual patches is very clumsy as is, but running patches from SD would be simple and ideal. hope they can implement that - would be better than AA1 or whatever. not sure why they backed themselves into this corner in the first place but hey ho.
Old 1 week ago
  #6662
TNC
Lives for gear
 

Can the plugins filters be used as an effect to another audio source?
Old 1 week ago
  #6663
Lives for gear
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
Nope.
Old 1 week ago
  #6664
Lives for gear
 
ZT Scheer's Avatar
Wow, I had pretty much given up on the System-8, but this new update has me going "hmmmmmm ..."
Old 1 week ago
  #6665
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZT Scheer View Post
Wow, I had pretty much given up on the System-8, but this new update has me going "hmmmmmm ..."
I honestly feel like I just got a whole new synth for free. I've had the System 8 relegated to the corner since March, focusing more on my Peak and Minimoog. I was considering letting the S8 go, thinking I'd be happy enough with the Cloud software and looking toward a high-end analog poly with keys to replace it.

I installed the update out of curiosity, but the legacy filters with the S8 engine and the new FM features have turned me 180. I'll always have issues with the file management, but when it comes to the SOUND, the S8 (outfitted with my plugouts of choice) now has the broadest palette of any of my synths. 1/2 the joy of this hobby for me is the exploration, and the S8 has all new combinations waiting to be explored.
Old 1 week ago
  #6666
Lives for gear
 
magikroom's Avatar
Old 1 week ago
  #6667
Quote:
Originally Posted by magikroom View Post
Here's the first 32 System-8 Performances i've made. Patches are now released as well at Synth Patches | Synth Presets | GEOSynths

I thought your Peak set was astounding, but this just blows me away. This entire set -- and especially these Performances -- are just about the single best showcase for the System 8 I've heard yet. I'm so glad you picked one of these up, and even more pleased that you didn't listen to me about not bothering with the Performance set

This whole thing is certainly worthy of a full install and backup onto the S8. I can't believe you pulled this together so quickly after the release of 1.2. An absolute bargain.
Old 1 week ago
  #6668
I may have missed it but has anyone made a system 8 librarian yet? I know we are able to use the cloud to transfer patches but I'm not buying into the cloud and would like a stand alone librarian to store and transfer patches.
Old 1 week ago
  #6669
Lives for gear
 
drxcm's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
I may have missed it but has anyone made a system 8 librarian yet? I know we are able to use the cloud to transfer patches but I'm not buying into the cloud and would like a stand alone librarian to store and transfer patches.
Not that I’m aware of.
You can ‘sign up’ for a trial of the cloud then opt out and still use the software for its librarian functionality without having to purchase anything.
Old 1 week ago
  #6670
Quote:
Originally Posted by drxcm View Post
Not that I’m aware of.
You can ‘sign up’ for a trial of the cloud then opt out and still use the software for its librarian functionality without having to purchase anything.
10/4

I hope someone does just to make patch storage easier. I haven't bought this yet mainly due to the horrid amount of patches that can be stored.
Old 1 week ago
  #6671
Lives for gear
 
magikroom's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaintjohn View Post
I thought your Peak set was astounding, but this just blows me away. This entire set -- and especially these Performances -- are just about the single best showcase for the System 8 I've heard yet. I'm so glad you picked one of these up, and even more pleased that you didn't listen to me about not bothering with the Performance set

This whole thing is certainly worthy of a full install and backup onto the S8. I can't believe you pulled this together so quickly after the release of 1.2. An absolute bargain.
Thanks...Believe me, when the update dropped halfway through doing them, I was going to put it on the back burner for a while, but tried out the update and decided to do the extra Bank. Has been quick yes, but lots of hours
Old 1 week ago
  #6672
Lives for gear
 
magikroom's Avatar
That's it...Done...Last Video of the final 32 Performance Patches:

Old 6 days ago
  #6673
Lives for gear
 
Acidizer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by magikroom View Post
Here's the first 32 System-8 Performances i've made. Patches are now released as well at Synth Patches | Synth Presets | GEOSynths

patches 28 - signal lost and 29 - treacle pad starting at 17:23
Old 6 days ago
  #6674
Gear Addict
 

Dear Mods/Admin, is everyone allowed to spam their wares in threads?
Old 6 days ago
  #6675
Lives for gear
 
Acidizer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthstrategy View Post
Dear Mods/Admin, is everyone allowed to spam their wares in threads?
wares? this is content son. unlike your (and my own) crappy non-contributions.

no obligation to buy. as a S8 owner i am grateful for this, i enjoyed the videos on their own and am looking forward to buying and testing them out first hand.
Old 6 days ago
  #6676
Gear Addict
 
Avantmidi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthstrategy View Post
Dear Mods/Admin, is everyone allowed to spam their wares in threads?
Jalous?
Old 6 days ago
  #6677
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avantmidi View Post
Jalous?
hardly,
ive got years of programming synths under my belt,
would like you like to see my hand drawn patches for my ms20 from 1983? (not that they were any good then)

whilst im sure others will pull stuff i havent the reverse is also true and i could go toe to toe with anyone..i dont comercialize my sounds
..

im just wondering if there were several people spruiking in a thread how that would go down.?
seems
very inconsistant for a public commercial forum..

no doubt this will be deleted as

"they cant handle the truth" lol
Old 6 days ago
  #6678
Lives for gear
 
login's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthstrategy View Post
hardly,
ive got years of programming synths under my belt,
would like you like to see my hand drawn patches for my ms20 from 1983? (not that they were any good then)

whilst im sure others will pull stuff i havent the reverse is also true and i could go toe to toe with anyone..i dont comercialize my sounds
..

im just wondering if there were several people spruiking in a thread how that would go down.?
seems
very inconsistant for a public commercial forum..

no doubt this will be deleted as

"they cant handle the truth" lol
Thanks for showing us the light and spaminng your infinite wisdom.
Old 6 days ago
  #6679
Has anyone compared the System 8 synth engine to the JP-8000?
Old 6 days ago
  #6680
Lives for gear
 
magikroom's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthstrategy View Post
hardly,
ive got years of programming synths under my belt,
would like you like to see my hand drawn patches for my ms20 from 1983? (not that they were any good then)

whilst im sure others will pull stuff i havent the reverse is also true and i could go toe to toe with anyone..i dont comercialize my sounds
..

im just wondering if there were several people spruiking in a thread how that would go down.?
seems
very inconsistant for a public commercial forum..

no doubt this will be deleted as

"they cant handle the truth" lol
Well, if I was selling things that have nothing to do with the System 8, then you’d have a point, but it’s totally on topic. If you make your own, then great, nobody is stopping anyone from doing it and nobody is stopping you from commercialising your sounds either...I do this for a living now after being laid off 18 months ago and dumping my redundancy into gear....a risk and still is...not sure why that would be an issue for you... but no problem, be cool to hear your sounds?
Old 6 days ago
  #6681
Lives for gear
 
Acidizer's Avatar
awesome, the patches are out!

buying these
Old 6 days ago
  #6682
Lives for gear
 
mutilatedlip's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallery7 View Post
Has anyone compared the System 8 synth engine to the JP-8000?
As an ex JP-8000 owner, I have to say the S8 is superior in every way.

The JP always sounded too plasticky to my ears.
Old 6 days ago
  #6683
Lives for gear
 
Blackbelt Jones's Avatar
 

I love it when people post their patches in instrument threads.... it allows people considering the instrument to hear it in the hands of a power user, and it allows owners to either buy the sounds or learn something about the capabilities. All win win.

PS... This has become a nice, non toxic Roland thread (a rarity!)... it’s loaded with long time forumers and solid contributors... it’d be nice to keep the streak of good vibes alive!!!
Old 6 days ago
  #6684
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
As an ex JP-8000 owner, I have to say the S8 is superior in every way.

The JP always sounded too plasticky to my ears.
Agreed. That being said there were a few things that the JP80X0 did that are missing from the S8. I really miss the feedback oscillator and the increased supersaw controls. I certainly wouldn’t object to a JP80X0 plugout.
Old 6 days ago
  #6685
Lives for gear
 
Acidizer's Avatar
@magikroom

patches don't work. nothing when pressing keys. restored my old back up ok...

i can hear some chorus noise on some patches i think but none of them make a sound.
Old 6 days ago
  #6686
Lives for gear
 
magikroom's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidizer View Post
@magikroom

patches don't work. nothing when pressing keys. restored my old back up ok...
Have you done the Firmware update from Roland? Did the names show up...First one in System 8 Patch mode is "Solid Bass GEO"
Old 6 days ago
  #6687
Lives for gear
 
Acidizer's Avatar
yes i have the FM update, i can see the patch names and scroll through them just no sound. maybe a character or something out on the txt file?

i deleted ".DS_Store" whatever that is to see if that was throwing a spanner in the works but no.
Old 6 days ago
  #6688
Lives for gear
 
ZT Scheer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthstrategy View Post
Dear Mods/Admin, is everyone allowed to spam their wares in threads?
I'm trying to figure out what the (or your) actual problem is with magikroom's posts.

I've yet to see anything approaching "spam" by any rational definition of the term. His posts of this kind are of the "demo a bunch of cool sounds" variety, with little to no talking ... something that people absolutely clamor for on this site. That's just useful (and desired) content.

If magikroom was posting the same videos 2-3 time per thread, or once-per-page ... THAT would be "spam" ... but he's not, so we can untick that box.

Can you explain to me - seriously - why you find this so egregious?
Old 6 days ago
  #6689
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwege View Post
Agreed. That being said there were a few things that the JP80X0 did that are missing from the S8. I really miss the feedback oscillator and the increased supersaw controls. I certainly wouldn’t object to a JP80X0 plugout.
I agree. But still, I'd rather have the feedback osc and enhanced supersaw/unison control added to the S8 engine than a JP80X0 plug-out!
Old 6 days ago
  #6690
Lives for gear
 
magikroom's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidizer View Post
yes i have the FM update, i can see the patch names and scroll through them just no sound. maybe a character or something out on the txt file?

i deleted ".DS_Store" whatever that is to see if that was throwing a spanner in the works but no.
I wonder...It could be Local if Off.

Go to "Menu" button, "System" then cursor right to "Local Sw" it should be turned to ON to hear it. I use mine through Logic, so I turn it off and the Back Up is a Snapshot....I bet that's what it is.





++++++ Yes, just tested it, it's turned off. I'll change it and send an update out


=========Update sent ======

Last edited by magikroom; 6 days ago at 07:40 PM.. Reason: update
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump