The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
stereo compressor recommendations
Old 22nd February 2007
Here for the gear

stereo compressor recommendations

hi all

im thinking to get a stereo compressor, mainly for drums but i might use it for other things aswell. not much budget, max 700-800€.

thinking to TL audio ivory 5021.
any other thing worth looking at in that price range?

thanx!
Old 22nd February 2007
Lives for gear

I like the RNC way better than the TLA stuff, and it's way cheaper, though if you want to take something really crisp and digital and make it sound grungy, the TLA fatman can definitely do that. The people who make the RNC make another one called the RNLA. I've never heard that one, but you can find a lot about it on here if you do a search, and I would imagine it is good, jsut based on my experience with the RNC. You could probably get both and still come in well under your budget.
Old 22nd February 2007
Gear Maniac

as long as you can´t afford really great compressor, i would try parallel compression with colourful low end boxes....it works better than you might think...

cheap boxes for adding coloured compression characteristics that helped me in the past are...

joemeek c2, dbx166, alesis 3630....

if you wanna go more high end ssl/smart, distressor, 1176, drawmer might be options, but that will cost you more definitily.....
Old 22nd February 2007
Gear Maniac

The TL Indigo is a superb unit defo the best thing TLA have ever made, sounds great across a mix-buss or used in parallel. finding one is the tricky bit
Old 22nd February 2007
Here for the gear

thanx for the advices, will check RNC for sure.

i've read not that good reviews on the alesis, being too "middy" and i also hear this about the newer dbx units ----> "stay away from focusrite and newer dbx .. they ruin the bass in fast components i.e. kicks "
is that true?

main drums are tr808 so you see where im going. also have elektron drummachine buts its internal compressor works fine for me til now.
Old 22nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Not sure if it's in the price range (maybe $700 used) but the TL Audio C1 is a very useful stereo compressor. I also have an RNC and compared them for a sidechain ducking application and the RNC (in either mode) wasn't in the same league at all, not sure why, but it seemed like the RNC attack adjustment was pretty smooth, whereas the release was rather chunky and lacked definition. Sometimes it's hard to find a compressor where all parameters really work as you'd hope or expect it to, but I can say the C1 works well all around including the preamps and DI.
Old 22nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Just picked up a Daking FET II and I am thrilled with it. A little more $$ though... You definintely get what you pay for. Not stereo though.
Old 22nd February 2007
Lives for gear

SPL Kultube. Also works great in mono - I use it for vocals, but also stereo processing from a mixing desk to which I send my synths
Old 22nd February 2007
Lives for gear

The 2-1176 is really fast so you don't have to worry about your kick transients. I like it. It's far more transparent than I expected it to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim View Post
thanx for the advices, will check RNC for sure.

i've read not that good reviews on the alesis, being too "middy" and i also hear this about the newer dbx units ----> "stay away from focusrite and newer dbx .. they ruin the bass in fast components i.e. kicks "
is that true?

main drums are tr808 so you see where im going. also have elektron drummachine buts its internal compressor works fine for me til now.
Old 22nd February 2007
Gear Addict

Valley People Dynamite
Valley People Gain Brain
Ridge Farm Boiler
ADR Compex
Gemini Easy Rider
JBL Urei 7110
SSL Clone
dbx 163x
dbx 166
Symetrix
Ashly
Klark DN500
BSS DPR402
Aphex 651, 661

Remember that you need at least 2 comps for different flavors.
Old 25th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofine View Post
SPL Kultube. Also works great in mono - I use it for vocals, but also stereo processing from a mixing desk to which I send my synths
+1
watch ebay like a hawk, they pop up sometimes.
very underestimated precise versitile tool, with a couple of tricks as bonus.

and all the other good ones in above post heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search