The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
MARSHALL 9200
Old 21st February 2007
MARSHALL 9200

I read up on this and it was saying that its not a pre amp.
So now Im confused.
CAn I not just plug this amp into my Marshall 1960s Cab?

Cheeres,
Eck
Old 21st February 2007
Gear Maniac

You can plug it into your cab, but you'll also need a preamp;

Guitar to preamp, preamp to 9200, 9200 to cab!!!

Don't forget to put a speaker cable between the 9200 and the cab before switching it on!!!!!
Old 21st February 2007
Lives for gear

It's a power amp, not a normal guitar amp. Normal guitar amps include a preamp section. That said, you could plug just about anything with a volume knob into it to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecktronic View Post
I read up on this and it was saying that its not a pre amp.
So now Im confused.
CAn I not just plug this amp into my Marshall 1960s Cab?

Cheeres,
Eck
Old 21st February 2007
Gear Head

NICE....

That is one bad ass power amp. It is used for electric guitar mostly. I don't know of anyone using it for anything else, but I guess one could if they wanted to. Just remember you need a good guitar pre amp like a Marshall or a Rocktron one connected to its inputs, and a nice guitar cabinet connected to the power amp's outputs. And yes, please use speaker cords from the power amp to the cab or cabs. Also, make sure the impedance is set to the proper ohms. With this, you should have some killer guitar tones. Peace.
Old 22nd February 2007
So the power amp adds colour to the tone and doesnt just boost it too a loud level?
Thing is I dont like the pre amp I have at the moment.
Its realy harsh and undefined. Its the JCM2000 DSL50.
Ive heard that the new JCM models arent as good as the old ones and are meant to be pretty harsh which mine is. Not smooth like Im dreaming for!

Could I use an ART tube pre amp or would that be silly?
You know the small single channel pre amp that is used for vocal/guitar recordings.

Cheers,
Eck
Old 22nd February 2007
Lives for gear

The power amp makes the signal loud. That's its primary function. Coloring isn't something power amps are known for, though people argue about tone for days so I'm sure you can get a different answer on this.

Why are you even using the Marshall 9200? The JCM2000 has a preamp and poweramp section.

You could use the ART tube pre. I highly doubt it would be worth it, but I've never tried so who am I to judge.

Quote:
So the power amp adds colour to the tone and doesnt just boost it too a loud level?
Thing is I dont like the pre amp I have at the moment.
Its realy harsh and undefined. Its the JCM2000 DSL50.
Ive heard that the new JCM models arent as good as the old ones and are meant to be pretty harsh which mine is. Not smooth like Im dreaming for!

Could I use an ART tube pre amp or would that be silly?
You know the small single channel pre amp that is used for vocal/guitar recordings.

Cheers,
Eck
Old 22nd February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalker View Post
The power amp makes the signal loud. That's its primary function. Coloring isn't something power amps are known for, though people argue about tone for days so I'm sure you can get a different answer on this.

Why are you even using the Marshall 9200? The JCM2000 has a preamp and poweramp section.

You could use the ART tube pre. I highly doubt it would be worth it, but I've never tried so who am I to judge.
Im not using the 9200, I was looking to purchase it, but Im thinking ist a silly idea now.
Any suggestions on what amp I could get inplace of my JCM2000, as it sucks ass. ITs not clear, its muddy, its harsh. Everything I dont want. :(

Eck
Old 23rd February 2007
Lives for gear

If you're looking for a guitar amp, the Electronic Music section of GS is not the best place to start.

Anti JCM2000 also doesn't give us much to go on. I love my Mesa Tremoverb and my Vox AC-15, but they're not everyone's favorite.

Quote:
Im not using the 9200, I was looking to purchase it, but Im thinking ist a silly idea now.
Any suggestions on what amp I could get inplace of my JCM2000, as it sucks ass. ITs not clear, its muddy, its harsh. Everything I dont want. :(

Eck
Old 24th February 2007

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search