The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
909Day: New Roland products to be announced.
Old 16th August 2016
Lives for gear

909Day: 30+ New Roland products to be announced.

This thread contains spoilers of upcoming Roland products. Read at your own discretion.

~~~
2016-09-09 Edit:
Stream started, go here.

2016-09-04 Edit:
Various images of the System-8, TB-03, TR-09, VP-03 have been leaked mainly by ONEFOOTIN, I've attached some to this post, scroll down to see them.

2016-09-02 Edit:
First picture of the System-8 found by dream22: Sam Ash ad in October Keyboard - page 39

2016-08-31 Edit:
Teaser pictures of what may be Boutique 909 and 303, leaked from Roland's own website a few days ago:

2016-08-23 Edit:

For 33 years the TR-909 has been one of the most definitive sounds in electronic music, and the beating heart of DJ culture.
Join us as we celebrate 33 years of the “909” with the release of many new and inspiring electronic instruments.
- Roland, The Future Redefined.
Brace yourselves, the Future is coming

~~~
Original version of this thread below:

Recently, on 808day, Roland announced a partnership with V-Moda and acquired 70% of it and blabla, an interesting move for both sides, click on this elegant and finely-crafted link for details.

In the midst of this, they let us know that there'll be new products (yes, plural) announced on September 9, 909Day, a new wave of AIRA stuff if I'm not mistaken.

You can guess where this is going: if you don't like hype/speculation/sit and chatter as we wait threads now is the time to close this window and forget about it all. You have the power. The choice is yours. You don't have to look at the car crash.

...Still here? Alright you have been warned.

Val Kolton, V-Moda's CEO/founder sets the tone in this Future Music article:
[Val Kolton explains how he got in touch with Roland when they got in contact with V-Moda for some AIRA-branded headphones]

When I arrived, [they[Roland]] took me to an amazing acoustical concert and then we went out to dinner and got to talking about the industry. We were actually discussing the future of music. And I expressed how I stopped DJing to an extent because the industry wasn’t going in a direction I personally liked. I feel there seems to be a loss of creativity in the DJ booth, even with all the new technology. Performance is non-existent, everything is becoming way too commercial and I don’t like the vibe as much as I did back in the day. Basically, the whole thing now is just Sync & Wave, Sync & Wave (Editor's Note: Sync & Wave – Pressing the Sync button on the CDJ’s and Waving to the Crowd.)
FM: Don’t forget to throw in some “Get your effin hands up!!” every thirty seconds…
VK: Yeah, and you know what? Something got to change in the DJ scene for it to evolve. Like the energy of when you see an amazing acoustic drummer or a virtuoso violinist, if you can take that fine art and translate that to the electronic music scene. Some way you can showcase your artistry to a crowd in what I call Create, Perform and Play and not just press the sync button. That could be the evolution of the DJ art form.
And to my surprise, Roland said they were working on that same very thing and asked if I would like to be a part of it…help redefine the future of music. And, for me, there was really only one answer to that question…

[...]
AIRA had a lot going against it: playing with cherished names without being reissues, they run on software when analog's in full on revival, they look like software, yet they're limited like analog... really, what in the world Roland!?

Nevertheless, varies per product but as a whole I'd say AIRA's been a hit and left an indelible green mark burned in peoples brains. Particular shout out for the uncanny ACB which earned respect despite going straight up against analog while wearing that unmistakably digital green dress, LED-laden and scatter-enhanced. Think about that for a second. Quite an achievement I'd say.

So I'm curious to see what AIRA's up to next. 909's on my calendar.

Now, on the rumors front, to fuel some talk, I'll quote Fxproject:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fxproject View Post
All thèse new gears Will be show on september
3 new boutique
+ Aira system-8
+ Aira Dj gears (controler, mixer, turntable)

Its awesome !!
Not the source I trust the most but did get some things right in the past (like the first wave of Boutique), and just today two online store listings referencing something like the System 8 have been spotted* and that's the main rumor he/she has been pushing for a while.

(*First already taken down but a screenshot showed up the AIRA Facebook group which got taken down too but Alekto already had saved it. Second is still online edit: gone now, cached version)

There's also the legendary Roland sampler which I really really want but I've not noticed anything new on that front on my radars in a while. And there's possibly more modular stuff.

There you have it. Have fun
Attached Thumbnails
909Day: New Roland products to be announced.-news_16-846x474.png   909Day: New Roland products to be announced.-news_17-846x474.png   909Day: New Roland products to be announced.-system8-xlarge.jpg   909Day: New Roland products to be announced.-tb03-xlarge.jpg   909Day: New Roland products to be announced.-tr09-xlarge.jpg  

909Day: New Roland products to be announced.-imgext.jpg  
Old 16th August 2016
Lives for gear

Thanks for posting this, ToyBox. I'm REALLY looking forward to the announcement. I hope the System 8 will be indeed 8 voice polyphonic, and with the ability to load the previously released Boutiques.
Old 16th August 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexo View Post
Thanks for posting this, ToyBox. I'm REALLY looking forward to the announcement. I hope the System 8 will be indeed 8 voice polyphonic, and with the ability to load the previously released Boutiques.
I'd laugh if the system 8 is a firmware update for the JD-XA allowing you to use Plug Outs in the at least one of the Digital synth slots :D
Old 16th August 2016
Lives for gear

Old 16th August 2016
Gear Maniac

I still dig my boutique JU-06 even though it doesn't get much use. If they did a 303 with accent and slide and an 808 or 909 I'd actually be pretty interested.
Old 16th August 2016
Lives for gear

I'm reading this at 303pm and just debating how likely it is that Roland misses the boat, again... Would love for them to prove me wrong!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteak View Post
I still dig my boutique JU-06 even though it doesn't get much use. If they did a 303 with accent and slide and an 808 or 909 I'd actually be pretty interested.
The rumour is TB303, TR909 and VP330.

If it is to be believed.
Old 16th August 2016
Gear Guru
VP330 ..., please!!
Old 16th August 2016
Gear Guru

So they will go against their tb3 with a boutique version? Same sort of price range based on other boutique, I doubt it unless they too hate the tb3.....
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
So they will go against their tb3 with a boutique version? Same sort of price range based on other boutique, I doubt it unless they too hate the tb3.....
Yep precisely. I agree with you.

Annoyingly I have the cash sitting there ready for the TB3 and I'm eager to buy. However I am holding out just in case.
Old 16th August 2016
Lives for gear

In the last year I have bought :-

TR8
TB3
System 1
System 1M
Ju06
JDXi

All of them (apart from maybe the TR8) has a critical design/implementation flaw that I cannot live with.

These are cynical products (that just happen to sound pretty good) aimed at new users who don't know any better.

So fvck you Roland, no more of my money will go your way.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehlord View Post

In the last year I have bought :-

TR8
TB3
System 1
System 1M
Ju06
JDXi

All of them (apart from maybe the TR8) has a critical design/implementation flaw that I cannot live with.

These are cynical products (that just happen to sound pretty good) aimed at new users who don't know any better.

So fvck you Roland, no more of my money will go your way.
Unless you bought them all at the same time, why would you buy 6 products from the same manufacturer that all had critical flaws you couldn't live with? Not trying to start trouble. I'm genuinely curious.
Old 16th August 2016
Lives for gear
Oh Ro land. I only wanted to be your friend
Old 16th August 2016
R7P
Gear Maniac

More digital emulations of analog gear crippled with limitations that are inexcusable for digital gear in 2016?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wozniak View Post
Unless you bought them all at the same time, why would you buy 6 products from the same manufacturer that all had critical flaws you couldn't live with? Not trying to start trouble. I'm genuinely curious.

It is a fair question.

TR8 - Because I think they sound great and I was looking for drums. Turned out to be a little too big and I've gone back to Live/APC/Push for drums.

System 1 - I thought it might be nice. Keyboard was worse than crap and had some usb connectivity issues when I had mine.

TB3 - Not the worst of the bunch, but I had terrible noise with USB plugged in.

JU06 - Nice UI and sounded great, but USB or battery power only is just stupid (and I had USB noise again).

System 1M - Gave them the benefit of the doubt as I liked the idea of the updated oscillators, but turned out to have it's own issues (I made a thread about it here actually).

JDXi - I got this today and it's being sold today. Numerous little niggles indcluding the dreaded USB noise issue that Roland seems to like so much.

I have been trying to create the ideal live jam setup for the limited amount of space I have here and the newer Roland stuff does seem ideal, but for me there was always something that made me want to get rid of it. It's a shame as most of it is close to being very good, but I guess I'm not their target market. You only have to look at the amount of threads asking how to connect AIRA devices to a computer to know who it's all aimed at.

USB OR BATTERY POWER ONLY!??!?
Old 16th August 2016
Lives for gear
Tr8 has other silly restrictions and unconvincing 808

Tb3 has accent flaw and incomplete interface
Lives for gear

Quote:
It is a fair question.

TR8 - Because I think they sound great and I was looking for drums. Turned out to be a little too big and I've gone back to Live/APC/Push for drums.

System 1 - I thought it might be nice. Keyboard was worse than crap and had some usb connectivity issues when I had mine.

JU06 - Nice UI and sounded great, but USB or battery power only is just stupid (and I had USB noise again).

System 1M - Gave them the benefit of the doubt as I liked the idea of the updated oscillators, but turned out to have it's own issues (I made a thread about it here actually).

JDXi - I got this today and it's being sold today. Numerous little niggles indcluding the dreaded USB noise issue that Roland seems to like so much.

I have been trying to create the ideal live jam setup for the limited amount of space I have here and the newer Roland stuff does seem ideal, but for me there was always something that made me want to get rid of it. It's a shame as most of it is close to being very good, but I guess I'm not their target market. You only have to look at the amount of threads asking how to connect AIRA devices to a computer to know who it's all aimed at.

My JU-06 has no noise when usb powered.
R7P
Gear Maniac

Quote:
It is a fair question.

Does any of your other gear have USB noise issues? I had to get a Hum X adapter for one of my laptops because it had noise with pretty much anything audio related when plugged into AC.
Ebtech Hum X Ground Loop Hum Exterminator | Sweetwater.com
Just a thought.
Gear Guru

Quote:
...USB and noise... USB and noise...
USB noise happens because of grounding issues, you need to galvanically isolate the USB port and then it'll be silent as a lamb.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminIAm View Post
My JU-06 has no noise when usb powered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R7P View Post
Does any of your other gear have USB noise issues? I had to get a Hum X adapter for one of my laptops because it had noise with pretty much anything audio related when plugged into AC.
Ebtech Hum X Ground Loop Hum Exterminator | Sweetwater.com
Just a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
USB noise happens because of grounding issues, you need to galvanically isolate the USB port and then it'll be silent as a lamb.
To be honest I'm done with the new Roland stuff now, I'm sure it's fine for some, just not for me.

I have had zero USB noise issues with :-

Virus
Analog4
Blofeld
BS2
Microbrute
Eventide H9

I'm not motivated to try and sort it out just to use Roland products.
JDN
Lives for gear

Quote:
It is a fair question.

Why didn't you just get a power cube and plug the USB cable into that and into an outlet? that is EXACTLY the same as a power cable. I did that and went old school MIDI and analog out on my JP08 to solve noise issues.

As others have stated, the USB noise isn't the fault of Roland per say, but audio and USB aren't a great mix and usually need some kind of a solution.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDN View Post
Why didn't you just get a power cube and plug the USB cable into that and into an outlet? that is EXACTLY the same as a power cable. I did that and went old school MIDI and analog out on my JP08 to solve noise issues.

As others have stated, the USB noise isn't the fault of Roland per say, but audio and USB aren't a great mix and usually need some kind of a solution.

Because I don't need to keep hold of it enough to look for alternative solutions. There are plenty of other alternatives out there that mean I don't have to add to the box of cables I already have.

It might not be a Roland specific problem technically, but it is for me with my setup.
JDN
Lives for gear

Quote:
Because I don't need to keep hold of it enough to look for alternative solutions. There are plenty of other alternatives out there that mean I don't have to add to the box of cables I already have.

It might not be a Roland specific problem technically, but it is for me with my setup.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of the other gear you listed is not transmitting audio through USB, that is the difference. And i'm not sure how plugging a USB cable into a wall outlet is some kind of a crazy alternative solution.
Old 17th August 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDN View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of the other gear you listed is not transmitting audio through USB, that is the difference. And i'm not sure how plugging a USB cable into a wall outlet is some kind of a crazy alternative solution.
Virus and Analog4 do.

I've moved on from the Roland stuff. I really have.....
Lives for gear

Quote:

Numerous little niggles indcluding the dreaded USB noise issue that Roland seems to like so much.
If you're having USB noise issues with a bunch of products, it's possible the problem is something else. Have you tried different outlets? Different USB ports? It sounds like it could be a grounding problem.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not motivated to try and sort it out just to use Roland products.
teh entitlement!

jk

ive got a nice 7 port external hub with beefy psu that I use to power lots of my usb gear . no noise , no issues with pc ports not supplying enough power .

something like this is a good investment to the modern studio . at the very least it gives you a stack of extra ports with heaps of juice

Old 17th August 2016
PLEASE ROLAND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD Make a new V-SYNTH with AIRA/ACB everything please please pretty please
Old 17th August 2016
Lives for gear
Why would Roland work with a headphone company? What would a headphone company have in it's pocket? Wireless MADI for headphones and some good D/A's?
Old 17th August 2016
Lives for gear

And still no analog stuff?
Well congratulations to Behringer.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by redloheb View Post
And still no analog stuff?
Well congratulations to Behringer.
because analog stuff is everything and all that matters in ones studio
📝 Reply