The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Deluge Sampler/Synth machine Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 11th January 2019
  #781
Lives for gear
 

I just want to say I’ve spent two afternoons with the new Deluge update and I am so impressed.

Yesterday I experimented in waveform view with the start/end point looping options, and the new pitch shift/time stretch algorithms (which sound stellar). That’s going to make a huge difference for me as I mangle and trigger vocal slices with the Deluge. It sounds fantastic.

Today I jammed with a bunch of tracks in song view, adding effects and modulation in real time, going crazy, as I was recording into arranger view. I played it back and there it was- all the slick moves and all the big mistakes. And now I can go back in and tweak it more if I like. It’s easily the best sequencer ”song mode” I’ve ever had the pleasure to use. Amazing, really.

On my next day off I’m going to dive into multisampling. Thanks, Rohan, for dreaming up a machine this cool.
Old 11th January 2019
  #782
Lives for gear
What are the options for getting a quick raw and messy project beginning out of the Deluge ideas box onto the big screen for precise fine-tuning (a la MPC Live)?
Old 11th January 2019
  #783
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwolf View Post
What are the options for getting a quick raw and messy project beginning out of the Deluge ideas box onto the big screen for precise fine-tuning (a la MPC Live)?
Currently you can resample the Deluge's output on to the SD card. That method is fine for getting the wav parts for small 2 bar projects off the Deluge, but sucks for full length projects as it becomes very time consuming recording all the stems off in real time.....Multi-track Stem Export has been promised on their forum, but not added so far....wouldn't surprise me if that feature happens in the next update though.
Old 13th January 2019
  #784
Lives for gear
 

I spent another two hours with the new update, this time checking out multisampling. I bounced down 28 notes from my favorite Pianoteq piano- C D# F# A in each octave. I pointed the Deluge to the user folder, the Deluge pitch detection automatically laid out all the samples correctly across the keyboard, I patched velocity to filter cutoff and saved it as an instrument. The whole loading/mapping procedure only took a few seconds. The Deluge took care of the pitch shifting for the intermediate notes and it sounds fantastic.

For my next projects I think I’ll make multisampled instruments out of my acoustic guitar, Fender Precision, the raw oscillators from my Boomstar, and make a kit out of a big box of percussion instruments I’d like to get rid of.

I’m lovin’ this Deluge.
Old 13th January 2019
  #785
Here for the gear
 

I am seriously looking at a Deluge, seems awesome!

One thing that would seal the deal for me is the ability to trigger one shot style cc autommation.

For example, I have a one bar drum loop on Deluge running, I want to be able to launch a track (both on next repeat and instantly) that has no notes (or dummy notes) that will play out a cc autommation I have played in with the gold knobs or an external controller. Ideally I would be able to have it instantly start, from the start of that track and free run like a one shot.

Say I am playing guitar and want to trigger a two bar filter sweet controlled by a midi cc from the Deluge to my guitar proceessor. Is this something I can do? Sorry if I don't make sense! Only thing I've seen that can really do this would be a DAW. Hoping Deluge get me there!


Unrelated question, is there an easy way to have Deluge play back not the same sample each time? Like have 10 closed hat samples and get it to rotate through to avoidachine gun sounds? I assume I could load the ten samples and set a trigger percentage on each to add to 100 and whenever I set a hat just set all 10. Is there an easier way? Thanks so much!
Old 14th January 2019
  #786
Unlikely as it is that they would make hardware updates, I would love to see an adat output to run 8 channels of digital audio into an interface in real time. Then, assign each track to individual outputs or use the 8 channels as 4 stereo buses.
Old 18th January 2019
  #787
Gear Nut
 
guictr's Avatar
 

I've been watching some Deluge videos and, man, that thing looks amazing!

Now, I'm not an experienced electronic music maker. The Deluge seems to have many things I want in one piece of gear. Is there competitor to it? I've read about Digitakt but it's basically "just" a sampler, right?
Old 18th January 2019
  #788
Lives for gear
 

The only competition would be the upcoming Akai APC Live I guess..
Old 18th January 2019
  #789
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by guictr View Post
I've been watching some Deluge videos and, man, that thing looks amazing!

Now, I'm not an experienced electronic music maker. The Deluge seems to have many things I want in one piece of gear. Is there competitor to it? I've read about Digitakt but it's basically "just" a sampler, right?
Digitakt is mentioned a lot but the Deluge is more of a complete package, faster development cycles and more responsive to users needs (thanks to Rohan and of course the rest of the small team working with it).

Deluge has a friendlier and quicer workflow imo and i own a LOT of elektron boxes - but Deluge´s sequencer is way, way better. That´s why it´s master sequencer in my whole rig.

Also, the synth parts are actually very useful, you can make full tracks with it easily and with the in-built FX they are very tasty. At the moment i´m using mine to spice up a new track with sound effects; all in one package and so quick to work with.

If you ask me, Deluge is the best small sequencer-workstation-package out there. "Competition" is kind of funny actually since it has no real competitor worthy the title.
Old 18th January 2019
  #790
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenOne View Post
Unlikely as it is that they would make hardware updates, I would love to see an adat output to run 8 channels of digital audio into an interface in real time. Then, assign each track to individual outputs or use the 8 channels as 4 stereo buses.
That would be fantastic, truly. An ADAT out takes up very little space compared to analog outs so it might would be possible. Or some way to re-route the USB port so it can stream a couple of channels straight to the ´puter.

Though please don´t do the last one, no more failed overbridge please since that´s just a big annoying thing.. bleh.
Old 18th January 2019
  #791
Gear Nut
 
guictr's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrinsen View Post
The only competition would be the upcoming Akai APC Live I guess..
I'm still trying to discover if I like it. There are interesting things about it but I thought I'd be more impressed after that long Sweetwater vide.


Quote:
Originally Posted by defdaft View Post
Digitakt is mentioned a lot but the Deluge is more of a complete package, faster development cycles and more responsive to users needs (thanks to Rohan and of course the rest of the small team working with it).

Deluge has a friendlier and quicer workflow imo and i own a LOT of elektron boxes - but Deluge´s sequencer is way, way better. That´s why it´s master sequencer in my whole rig.

Also, the synth parts are actually very useful, you can make full tracks with it easily and with the in-built FX they are very tasty. At the moment i´m using mine to spice up a new track with sound effects; all in one package and so quick to work with.

If you ask me, Deluge is the best small sequencer-workstation-package out there. "Competition" is kind of funny actually since it has no real competitor worthy the title.
It seems like it. As MPrinsen said, the upcoming Akai Force would be one competitor.
Old 18th January 2019
  #792
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrinsen View Post
The only competition would be the upcoming Akai APC Live I guess..
And what about the MPC Live? That would be the most obvious competitor to the Deluge, as they are both portable all-in-one grooveboxes at roughly the same price.....the APC Live is twice the price and not portable.
Old 18th January 2019
  #793
Gear Maniac
 
gjvti's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead1 View Post
And what about the MPC Live? That would be the most obvious competitor to the Deluge, as they are both portable all-in-one grooveboxes at roughly the same price.....the APC Live is twice the price and not portable.
To my knowledge MPC Live doesn't includes synthesizer - it is only sampler... at least in stand alone mode
Old 18th January 2019
  #794
Gear Nut
 
guictr's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjvti View Post
To my knowledge MPC Live doesn't includes synthesizer - it is only sampler... at least in stand alone mode
And I'm not into the 4x4 grid.
Old 18th January 2019
  #795
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjvti View Post
To my knowledge MPC Live doesn't includes synthesizer - it is only sampler... at least in stand alone mode
The MPC live does now have built in synths since the last update (including in standalone mode) FYI.
Old 18th January 2019
  #796
Gear Maniac
 
gjvti's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzmonkey View Post
The MPC live does now have built in synths since the last update (including in standalone mode) FYI.
Thanks, never have seen any video about that... but good to know... just in case
Old 4 weeks ago
  #797
Lives for gear
 

i think the akai force would be the one for these two functions, not the deluge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy255 View Post
I am seriously looking at a Deluge, seems awesome!

One thing that would seal the deal for me is the ability to trigger one shot style cc autommation.

For example, I have a one bar drum loop on Deluge running, I want to be able to launch a track (both on next repeat and instantly) that has no notes (or dummy notes) that will play out a cc autommation I have played in with the gold knobs or an external controller. Ideally I would be able to have it instantly start, from the start of that track and free run like a one shot.

Say I am playing guitar and want to trigger a two bar filter sweet controlled by a midi cc from the Deluge to my guitar proceessor. Is this something I can do? Sorry if I don't make sense! Only thing I've seen that can really do this would be a DAW. Hoping Deluge get me there!


Unrelated question, is there an easy way to have Deluge play back not the same sample each time? Like have 10 closed hat samples and get it to rotate through to avoidachine gun sounds? I assume I could load the ten samples and set a trigger percentage on each to add to 100 and whenever I set a hat just set all 10. Is there an easier way? Thanks so much!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #798
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy255 View Post
I am seriously looking at a Deluge, seems awesome!

One thing that would seal the deal for me is the ability to trigger one shot style cc autommation.

For example, I have a one bar drum loop on Deluge running, I want to be able to launch a track (both on next repeat and instantly) that has no notes (or dummy notes) that will play out a cc autommation I have played in with the gold knobs or an external controller. Ideally I would be able to have it instantly start, from the start of that track and free run like a one shot.

Say I am playing guitar and want to trigger a two bar filter sweet controlled by a midi cc from the Deluge to my guitar proceessor. Is this something I can do? Sorry if I don't make sense! Only thing I've seen that can really do this would be a DAW. Hoping Deluge get me there!


Unrelated question, is there an easy way to have Deluge play back not the same sample each time? Like have 10 closed hat samples and get it to rotate through to avoidachine gun sounds? I assume I could load the ten samples and set a trigger percentage on each to add to 100 and whenever I set a hat just set all 10. Is there an easier way? Thanks so much!
Since 2.0 Deluge update you can record midi automation from an external synth and play it back to the synth as an automation only track if you wish. So that’s a yes for the first question.

And yes you can create a repeatable high hat track easily, and use automation on top to adjust any individual samples. It’s only a matter of turning one knob, while recording and re-playing your track and your done. The track will then have you samples and automation combined.

So yes, the Deluge can easily do both. It really is a DAW in a box!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #799
Lives for gear
 

Akai Force crushes the Deluge, sorry. No competition here folks.

Standalone – no computer required | 8x8 clip launch matrix with RGB LEDs | 7" full color capacitive multitouch display | Mic / instrument / line inputs, 4 outputs | MIDI In / Out / Thru | 4 configurable CV/Gate outputs | Remix, mash-Up, DJ and produce with 6 Track types for complete audio / MIDI / CV sequencing and performance capability | Performance Modes including 16-Pad Drums, Notes, Smart Scales, Chords & Progressions | MPC Sample Editing | Automatic BPM detection, real-time time-stretching and pitch-shifting | 8 touch-sensitive knobs with graphical OLED displays | 4 powerful, fully-editable synth engines | 16GB of on-board storage (over 10 gigs of sound content included) | Full-Size SD card Slot & 2 USB 3.0 slots for thumb drives or MIDI controllers | User-expandable 2.5" SATA drive connector (SSD or HDD)
Old 4 weeks ago
  #800
Gear Maniac
 

Having had a good session with the deluge today after putting it aside for a bit, it really is a genius workflow. Nothing is hard...the sequencer kills electrons, well specifically in terms of parameter locking. I'm prob going to sell my Rytm mk1, the new overbridge is buggy for me.

Akai Force does look intriguing. I think many of us are hoping Rohan makes a Pro deluge with a proper screen and more specific outputs.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #801
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robleighton22 View Post
Having had a good session with the deluge today after putting it aside for a bit, it really is a genius workflow. Nothing is hard...the sequencer kills electrons, well specifically in terms of parameter locking. I'm prob going to sell my Rytm mk1, the new overbridge is buggy for me.

Akai Force does look intriguing. I think many of us are hoping Rohan makes a Pro deluge with a proper screen and more specific outputs.

Yup, I haven't bought into anything from Akai for years but this Force gadget has my attention. Not jumping the gun, but keeping my eye on it. Looks like a great sketch-pad.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #802
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSC View Post
Akai Force crushes the Deluge, sorry. No competition here folks.

Standalone – no computer required | 8x8 clip launch matrix with RGB LEDs | 7" full color capacitive multitouch display | Mic / instrument / line inputs, 4 outputs | MIDI In / Out / Thru | 4 configurable CV/Gate outputs | Remix, mash-Up, DJ and produce with 6 Track types for complete audio / MIDI / CV sequencing and performance capability | Performance Modes including 16-Pad Drums, Notes, Smart Scales, Chords & Progressions | MPC Sample Editing | Automatic BPM detection, real-time time-stretching and pitch-shifting | 8 touch-sensitive knobs with graphical OLED displays | 4 powerful, fully-editable synth engines | 16GB of on-board storage (over 10 gigs of sound content included) | Full-Size SD card Slot & 2 USB 3.0 slots for thumb drives or MIDI controllers | User-expandable 2.5" SATA drive connector (SSD or HDD)
Couldn't disagree more at this stage. Theres no 16x8 sequencers out there other than the deluge. Unlike Akais OS...theres no track limits, in fact very few sequencer limitations. Both have synths, both sample, although I'm sure the Akai ones r pretty good now. At present, the Deluge has a very innovative arranger mode, but understand Akai are developing something too, but that wont be available for a while.

Certain things with my old MPC Live were great, but the OS just doesnt compare to the workflow of the deluge. The way the Deluge utilizes that grid is genius.

However...the APC looks good, but its design is a bit odd and certain aspects of the OS are very limiting (well the MPC OS at least).
Old 4 weeks ago
  #803
Lives for gear
 
re5etuk's Avatar
Both can exist , it’ll be ok , the world won’t end.
This reminds me of c64 vs spectrum , nes vs master system , mega drive vs SNES ... same old kind of discussion over and over
Old 4 weeks ago
  #804
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robleighton22 View Post
Couldn't disagree more at this stage. Theres no 16x8 sequencers out there other than the deluge. Unlike Akais OS...theres no track limits, in fact very few sequencer limitations. Both have synths, both sample, although I'm sure the Akai ones r pretty good now. At present, the Deluge has a very innovative arranger mode, but understand Akai are developing something too, but that wont be available for a while.

Certain things with my old MPC Live were great, but the OS just doesnt compare to the workflow of the deluge. The way the Deluge utilizes that grid is genius.

However...the APC looks good, but its design is a bit odd and certain aspects of the OS are very limiting (well the MPC OS at least).
When Akai Force drops with OS 2.4, just watch...They may think they don't need it, but for pure song making (not Youtube dittys) the Deluge doesn't even come close to the Force < deleted by moderator - please be polite >

Last edited by Reptil; 4 weeks ago at 05:26 PM.. Reason: -
Old 4 weeks ago
  #805
Lives for gear
 

actually no..

in both cases while the deluge can make a track with the CC automation.. it wont launch like the poster requires.


For sure the Deluge has the best note based sequencer going in a standalone box.. note entry, probability triggers, polyrhythms, patterns & arranging are beyond anything going.. but honestly?..everything else is average at best...

So "DAW in a box" and Deluge?.. oh please... keep away from that double IPA :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepmind12 View Post
Since 2.0 Deluge update you can record midi automation from an external synth and play it back to the synth as an automation only track if you wish. So that’s a yes for the first question.

And yes you can create a repeatable high hat track easily, and use automation on top to adjust any individual samples. It’s only a matter of turning one knob, while recording and re-playing your track and your done. The track will then have you samples and automation combined.

So yes, the Deluge can easily do both. It really is a DAW in a box!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #806
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSC View Post
They may think they don't need it, but for pure song making (not Youtube dittys) the Deluge doesn't even come close to the Force-sorry
Things the Deluge can do that the Force can't:

- Step automation
- Conditional trigs
- FM Synthesis
- VA & FM synthesis Polyphony > 4 voices
- Run on batteries
- Use LPF/HPF simultaneously
- Play samples with glide/portamento
- Have more than 16 tracks
- Song mode / arranger
- Auto import multisamples
- Send/receive MIDI via USB

I have an MPC Live and I love it. I have no intent of grabbing the Force because the form factor doesn't work for me but it looks really cool and I'm glad it exists. However trying to compare it to the Deluge really misses the fundamental difference between what they are.

Deluge is pure groovebox. Force is basically Ableton Live Lite shoved inside a Push with a few plugins. At the price you're nearly approaching decent used Macbook + Push 2 territory, which would give you loads more functionality, vastly superior time stretching algorithms, and expandability.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to making Youtube dittys.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #807
Lives for gear
 
CarLofgren's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSC View Post
... the Deluge doesn't even come close to the Force< deleted by moderator - please be polite >
It's not a competition on who's got the most features. If that would be the case, then we would all sit and drool in front of our portable laptops and no one would ever bother with external hardware ever again.

The Deluge relies on an almost flat non-graphical interface with almost no nested parameters. The Akai OS is waaay more complex and relies heavily on the screen for input and output. If you need to visually see the waveform and be able to zoom into detail - the Deluge should not be on the top of your list. If you need an instrument that you don't have to eff around in and out of menus, but rather just pick up and create - the Deluge is much quicker to operate than the MPC Live.

They have fundamentally different workflows and saying one is better than the other, can only be done in context of the individual persons needs, not by counting specs.

/C

Last edited by Reptil; 4 weeks ago at 05:27 PM.. Reason: -
Old 4 weeks ago
  #808
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic38 View Post
actually no..

in both cases while the deluge can make a track with the CC automation.. it wont launch like the poster requires.


For sure the Deluge has the best note based sequencer going in a standalone box.. note entry, probability triggers, polyrhythms, patterns & arranging are beyond anything going.. but honestly?..everything else is average at best...

So "DAW in a box" and Deluge?.. oh please... keep away from that double IPA :D
He wants it to "Ideally I would be able to have it instantly start, from the start of that track and free run like a one shot." The Deluge can do this easily, so what’s your problem with that? Everything else he mentioned is also covered.

Simply saying it does not do it, won’t cut it I’m afraid.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #809
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSC View Post
When Akai Force drops with OS 2.4, just watch...They may think they don't need it, but for pure song making (not Youtube dittys) the Deluge doesn't even come close to the Force< deleted by moderator - please be polite >.
Bloke who's never touched a Deluge makes < deleted by moderator - please be polite > comment shocker

Last edited by Reptil; 4 weeks ago at 05:28 PM.. Reason: -
Old 4 weeks ago
  #810
Gear Addict
 

As long as Akai releases the same crappy track limitation as in Live they can shove their force up their ass.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump