The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
K3000 from Kurzweil in 2017 How Likely ?
Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear

Since the PC3 EnvCtl is only available on AmpEnv.
Old 21st February 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
Not true actually. You can assign sliders to parameters in layers at will and modify these all at one or one at a time by ear.
Assigning and curating those sliders to do useful things in useful parameter ranges is what takes time and is usually not something you need to do on other VAs, which are MUCH more immediate...
Old 6th March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. View Post
I agree with this, but I think Kurzweil could make one of the best hybrid digital-analogue synths ever, specifically, if they so wanted. Hope to see that one day.
I haven't waited for Kurzweil: I have built a couple of interfaces which route my K2500's audio outs into my Korg DW-8000's VCF + VCA chain.

Old 6th March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I won't even mention Waldorf Quantum as another synthesis powerhouse, that one has the front panel with gobs of controls, so getting results on that one would be EVEN FASTER. See where I'm getting with this (and where I think Kurzweil should be going to, but they won't)
Quantum definitely has a lot of knobs. That something which the Kurz synths would certainly benefit from.

Here again, there's no need to wait for Kurz. One of my plans is to do exactly that: add a lot more realtime controls to my K2500, to seriously open up some synthesis modes.
Old 6th March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by poserp View Post
I personally like the challenge of doing physmod just in VAST, either by building custom comb filters, or by using FM creatively, or both (I think FM + comb filters has potential). With 32 Layers, one can construct pretty detailed "combs" at 2 bandpass filters per Layer (or using other filter types too) with some creative signal routing (one nice thing about the effects -- many will take stereo input and output mono...). It isn't as "nice" as, say, doing it on a Kronos or (even better) a Nord Modular or similar, but I think you can cover a lot of ground by burning Layers instead of effects (and not being restricted to monophonic or duophonic playback).
That's a big part of the fun of a Kurz and V.A.S.T. for me: there's always something new to do with that architecture.

My experiments with PM use another mode, but what you did there is really cool too!
Old 6th March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
I’m not sure where you come up with the four banks of faders. My K2500X has only ever had the one bank of eight, plus eight on/off switches.
The physical faders had alternate settings on different 'pages', so that's what he was referring to and not the total number of physical faders.
Old 13th June 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by YashN View Post
Written in large letters on their own website: 'Stage Piano'.

Who is going to believe this is one of the most powerful synths ever?
Not THIS consumer

Although you guys are doing a heck of a job convincing me the Forte is not just a stage piano. Anymore.

btw Yash:
Quote:
I haven't waited for Kurzweil: I have built a couple of interfaces which route my K2500's audio outs into my Korg DW-8000's VCF + VCA chain.
I would love to know how you are doing this. I own a DW-8000, too... and unless you're cracking the box and using a soldering iron, I don't get it

Also, I just read through all 20 pages of this topic, laughed, cried (20 pgs!), got filled with hope and scared to death (okay, maybe not to death) and it's so cool to see many of you die-hard synth lovers use (or have used) the same gear I own; my beloved Alesis QS8, a DX7 (not long for this world), the aforementioned DW-8000, and a recent addition, the Deepmind12 to name a few.

Just reassures me that I did in fact choose well throughout my life in music... and hope to continue to do so with my first-ever Kurzweil purchase - coming soon.

Thanks, all. Great reading!
Old 16th June 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceeaz View Post
Although you guys are doing a heck of a job convincing me the Forte is not just a stage piano. Anymore.
Looks like they added 'synthesizer' or 'synth' on their website since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceeaz View Post
btw Yash:

I would love to know how you are doing this. I own a DW-8000, too... and unless you're cracking the box and using a soldering iron, I don't get it
You got it alright: required making an interface with 8 inputs on a salvaged PCB, additional circuitry, soldering all that, and soldering to the inputs of the VCF + VCA Stages in the DW-8000, some calculations as well as I suspected the NJM2069 to be an OTA despite a very cool employee at New Japan Radio not being able to confirm anything via email.

The K2500 has 8 individual outputs, so each goes into the DW-8000 input.

Triggering is done via MIDI for both synths when playing the Kurz Keyboard. On the Kurz I set the individual outputs to use V.A.S.T. but without any of the latter's filters, so it's like an Übermachine for the Osc section.

There are additional requirements for making this properly usable in poly, like a MIDI Remapper for the Kurz section, either standalone or via the DAW.

Additionally, I'd like the DW-8000 to receive a fuller implementation of realtime MIDI Control rather than SysEx, which would allow an easy mapping of the Kurz MIDI-CC via faders to edit the DW-8000 in realtime. This requires further hacking of my DW-8000, so it's very likely I'll do that too at one point. The alternative here is to remap the MIDI-CC to the proper SysEx with a utility on the Mac.

You can see some pics of the early 3-input prototype and even listen to the early results here:

Nataraj Polyphonic Hybrid Synthesizer by YashN | Yash N | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Nataraj Poly Hybrid Audio Rate VCF FM by YashN | Yash N | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Quote:
and hope to continue to do so with my first-ever Kurzweil purchase - coming soon.
Hope you get it and are satisfied with it. I have seen some people getting one, not spending the time to learn editing and either letting the synth linger or reselling it. There are editing shortcuts that makes climbing the initial learning curve easier.
Old 16th June 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
You got it alright: required making an interface with 8 inputs on a salvaged PCB, additional circuitry, soldering all that, and soldering to the inputs of the VCF + VCA Stages in the DW-8000, some calculations as well as I suspected the NJM2069 to be an OTA despite a very cool employee at New Japan Radio not being able to confirm anything via email.
That does sound fascinating! Definitely way out of my scope of knowledge. I wish I had that talent, but then I'd truly never leave the house

FWIW, I love my DW-8000; bought it new in 1985 (? I believe) and it served me well until 1997 when I got my first multi-timbral: QS8. The DX7 and DW-8000 sat on the rack looking on enviously as the Alesis took over everything I did for almost 17 years.

The DW is only now really beginning to show her age; plastic bits are falling off the on the last repair attempt - output jack solders came loose, that's the extent of me+soldering iron But, after 30+ years, still plays perfectly, still the same programs in it from the last time I used it (20 years ago?) and same battery from the day I bought it, so that's impressive.

Thanks for the info, it's cool to know what can be done.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Loving my PC4. Finally got my Kurz.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Yep - love the PC4.

It's not the mythical K3000 most people long for, but almost everyone has a different idea of what they'd like that to be.

The PC4 is real though - not a fantasy. It's available, and it's a step further down the road.
VAST, KB3, KVA, and KFM work for me.

Last edited by felis; 5 days ago at 05:40 PM..
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, VA-1 used CLARA chips (half the power of MARA in PC3s and Forte), one solely for modulation. Shame it never materialized.
It did. Dave Weiser has got one
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

That's not a proper materialization
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
The VA-1 never became available for people to buy.
Even though it was at the tail end of the VA frenzy, I still wanted one.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
From what I've read, a lot of what people were hoping to get in a K3000, is now available in the Waldorf Quantum/Iridium.

From looking at the manual though, the mods aren't quite as great as vast, at least not the stuff that I use.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head
the quantum does itch the scratch, that kurzweil was failing to deliver with new boards. the forte and pc4 may have better vast and effects but whats the point when its increasingly more buried behind a stage piano interface. id love a next gen PC3 that was built as a synth first, piano/organ second but i think kurz are going for the nord marketshare.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Next gen PC3 is PC4.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head
well, having less room for the ribbon, no 61 key version, no spdif and worse looks..well. its a hard pass on that for me.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by psythor View Post
well, having less room for the ribbon, no 61 key version, no spdif and worse looks..well. its a hard pass on that for me.
Maybe someone else makes what you want?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head
sadly, nobody else has anything like v.a.s.t. ive a load of patches from my pc3k that i cant use now as i sold it due to concerns about reliability. i get why young chang are doing what they are doing, i just wish that the boards design and interface wasn't so conservative consider the tech inside. i also realize that their target markets are churches, cover bands and prog rockers, not cool synth acts or anyone culturally relevant today.. i could live with a 61 note forte i suppose.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

61-key version is neither confirmed nor denied. For all we know it still might happen, so let's wait.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

OK, So... It's 2020, and still no K3000 in sight

At least this thread is still alive in 2020 maybe it will happen in 2021
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
A quick search shows the Forte was announced in the summer of 2014 - six years ago.
I think if there was going to be a 61 key version, it would have happened by now.

The PC4 was announced in April of 2019, so out for over a year now.
But I still have hopes for a smaller version of that one.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

PC3, PC3K and PC3A all had 76 and 61 versions, I'm pretty sure the same thing would happen this time around too.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

As for V.A.S.T., if we could just get a really good software editor ...
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleer View Post
As for V.A.S.T., if we could just get a really good software editor ...
The Sound Tower one looks good, and most of it seems to work, but it's glitchy enough that I don't trust it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duplobaustein View Post
Since the PC3 EnvCtl is only available on AmpEnv.
Yes - previous to that, it affected any envelope used. But it affected them all the same way.

What would be ideal would be for each envelope to have its own EnvCtl page.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Yes, that would be cool.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Let's not forget the locked down VTRIG...
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Let's not forget the locked down VTRIG...
What's the locked down VTRIG?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

On K-series you had a VTRIG page where you could edit the switching points for VTRIG1 and VTRIG2. No such thing since PC3 onward.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear