The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Industrial that doesn't Suck
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
That dude is a spiritual inspiration to me. He's hardcore Catholic, but leads the most notoriously Satanic band in mainstream metal.
Yes, his personality is opposite of Dave Mustaine (who I opened for once at the Coors Amphitheater) ...Dave is a total dick.
Old 14th February 2020
Alright you name-dropping old hags, get out your credit cards!

Quote:
Belgian industrial greats Front 242 will be in the U.S this fall for Chicago’s Cold Waves festival and will tour around it, including dates with other Cold Waves acts — Swiss group The Young Gods (who haven’t toured the US since 2008) and Italy’s Ash Code. That includes Cold Waves-presented shows in Los Angeles (a “Wax Trax!” show The Mayan on 9/24 with The Young Gods, My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult, and Paul Barker & Chris Connelly) and NYC (Elsewhere Hall on 9/17 with Young Gods and Ash Code). Front 242 will also play Philly, Minneapolis, Denver, Portland, San Francisco, and dates in Arizona, Texas and Florida.

Read More: Front 242 touring U.S. around Cold Waves fest (NYC & LA w/ The Young Gods) |
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/front-2...he-young-gods/

Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
Alright you name-dropping old hags, get out your credit cards!

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/front-2...he-young-gods/

MMMM.. I remember my first 242 concert, I was a teenager, and we showed up an hour early. We were right in front of the stage, against the barrier. We almost got crushed.
Old 14th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
MMMM.. I remember my first 242 concert, I was a teenager, and we showed up an hour early. We were right in front of the stage, against the barrier. We almost got crushed.
My 1st concert crush was Skinny Puppy Too Dark Park in NYC. Was right up front but a couple people between me and the stage and the surge picked me up off the ground. Didn't feel the floor beneath my feet for like 15 minutes.
After that I moved back to the edge of the pit. Then I got kicked in the head by a crowd surfer so hard I had blood running all down my face. After that I made my way to the left side to help my friend who was having a bad acid trip and no sooner did I get there the panic started and everyone went running for the doors and trampling anybody who got in the way. Being off to the side it was safer and you had the wall for leverage for pushing back against the masses.

Then after all that mayhem we got to the after party and here I am trying to have conversations with Cevin and Dwayne with blood running down my face and Ogre hitting on my girlfriend.

By the time we made it to the 1st rest area on the NJT heading back to Philthy we were all sorts of stressed and weirded out and thought people were going to jump from the shadows and hack us up with knives. So we rode the rest of the way home listening to Cocteau Twins Heaven or Las Vegas on repeat the entire way to try and ease back the fear. Especially since the acid tripper was driving.
Old 14th February 2020
Quote:
My 1st concert crush was Skinny Puppy Too Dark Park in NYC. Was right up front but a couple people between me and the stage and the surge picked me up off the ground. Didn't feel the floor beneath my feet for like 15 minutes.
After that I moved back to the edge of the pit. Then I got kicked in the head by a crowd surfer so hard I had blood running all down my face. After that I made my way to the left side to help my friend who was having a bad acid trip and no sooner did I get there the panic started and everyone went running for the doors and trampling anybody who got in the way. Being off to the side it was safer and you had the wall for leverage for pushing back against the masses.

Then after all that mayhem we got to the after party and here I am trying to have conversations with Cevin and Dwayne with blood running down my face and Ogre hitting on my girlfriend.

By the time we made it to the 1st rest area on the NJT heading back to Philthy we were all sorts of stressed and weirded out and thought people were going to jump from the shadows and hack us up with knives. So we rode the rest of the way home listening to Cocteau Twins Heaven or Las Vegas on repeat the entire way to try and ease back the fear. Especially since the acid tripper was driving.
Ahhh… the good old days.
Skinny Puppy Too Dark Park was your first show? That is freaking awesome! You started at the top of the mountain.
Old 14th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Rescue View Post
Ahhh… the good old days.
Skinny Puppy Too Dark Park was your first show? That is freaking awesome! You started at the top of the mountain.
I'd been to alot of shows by then. My 1st concert was the Stray Cats at age 14. But 2DP was the 1st show I'd seen that had such a profound psychological effect on me and the 1st show where I witnessed a mass panic. Quite an experience.

But yeah, the good old days......
The world has moved on much to its own detriment.
Old 14th February 2020
Gear Guru

A testament to my love of Prometheus Burning. After having all of their albums on CD get thrown away, I ponied up for their discography on BandCamp. I know they're not for everybody, but I god do I love their music. Wish they were still around.
Old 29th February 2020
I had no idea these guys are still around.

Old 2nd March 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
I had no idea these guys are still around.
I thought was just a weird FLA release because they have an album titled "Caustic Grip".
Old 2nd March 2020
Quote:
I thought was just a weird FLA release because they have an album titled "Caustic Grip".
Yes it makes googling info on the band a PITA because all the results are for FLA instead lol
For some reason I thought this band had been around longer than it has.
Old 3rd March 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:

That is heavy as hell.

My first experience was at a Prodigy Gig. Very similar to you, my friend got accidentally kicked in the head by a crowd surfer and it broke his glasses so he couldn’t see properly. I got squashed between two huge guys and they were covered in sweat and seemed like they hadn’t washed in days it was horrendous- my feet were off the ground and I couldn’t breathe. The whole crowd surged forward and it was extremely scary. Ironically it was during their track “Breathe” that I was most worried that I couldn’t breathe. They stopped the show at this point because of the crush at the front. I’ve never felt so relieved in my life - they saved a few people from injury i am sure of that.

Once they got the crowd under control, they restarted the show with their track “Smack my Bitch Up”.

So I decided I was either fully in or out at this point. As the track was on its intro... I ran to the bar at the back, bought a pint of cider, downed it in one go and ran back into the mosh pit.

I came out of that an hour later with only half of a T-shirt left, covered in blood, sweat and bruises and sporting the most intense adrenaline rush I’ve ever had.

I didn’t take any substances then, but I didn’t really need to. It was only when I went to club nights a few years later where the music wasn’t as hard edged or was very repetitive that I decided to get off my head just to enjoy the sound of a 4/4 kick drum looping for 8 hours.

I do miss going to gigs like that sometimes.

Probably couldn’t do it now though. I’d be like “little ****s bumping into me leave me alone!!! I just want to be at home in my Man Cave getting high and making patches on my synths damn it!”
Old 3rd March 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberheim View Post
That is heavy as hell.

My first experience was at a Prodigy Gig. Very similar to you, my friend got accidentally kicked in the head by a crowd surfer and it broke his glasses so he couldn’t see properly. I got squashed between two huge guys and they were covered in sweat and seemed like they hadn’t washed in days it was horrendous- my feet were off the ground and I couldn’t breathe. The whole crowd surged forward and it was extremely scary. Ironically it was during their track “Breathe” that I was most worried that I couldn’t breathe. They stopped the show at this point because of the crush at the front. I’ve never felt so relieved in my life - they saved a few people from injury i am sure of that.

Once they got the crowd under control, they restarted the show with their track “Smack my Bitch Up”.

So I decided I was either fully in or out at this point. As the track was on its intro... I ran to the bar at the back, bought a pint of cider, downed it in one go and ran back into the mosh pit.

I came out of that an hour later with only half of a T-shirt left, covered in blood, sweat and bruises and sporting the most intense adrenaline rush I’ve ever had.

I didn’t take any substances then, but I didn’t really need to. It was only when I went to club nights a few years later where the music wasn’t as hard edged or was very repetitive that I decided to get off my head just to enjoy the sound of a 4/4 kick drum looping for 8 hours.

I do miss going to gigs like that sometimes.

Probably couldn’t do it now though. I’d be like “little ****s bumping into me leave me alone!!! I just want to be at home in my Man Cave getting high and making patches on my synths damn it!”
Sounds like a real eye opening experience. Although the crushed by big sweaty Dudes not so much. I had a hot chick in front of me when I got crushed. The guy behind me had metal spike all over his leather coat though. A bit of pain to go with the pleasure I suppose.
A romp through the pit certainly gets your pulse up too.
Regarding substances I'm glad I didn't join my tripping friend considering the bad acid being passed out at the show is likely the cause of the panic.

I still go to some rough shows though they're mostly punk shows. There was a bit of moshing at the last Ministry show and really lively pit at the last Buzzcocks show. But with my bad knees and back I prefer to stay on the edge catching out of control moshers and tossing them back in.

Anyway good stuff! Always nice to hear from another wild concert veteran
Old 5th March 2020
Official lineup for Cold Waves 9

New Industrial that doesn't Suck-cw9_lineups_website.jpg

Hopefully it won't be cancelled by COVID-19
Attached Thumbnails
New Industrial that doesn't Suck-cw9_lineups_website.jpg  
Old 17th March 2020
The King of DeathRock Music is dead

While I'm sure the last thing anyone needs right now is more bad news. One of our founders has passed into the aether. Genesis P-Orridge at age 70 has succumbed to leukaemia.
I am deeply and profoundly hurt by this news and feel nothing but grief in passing it on to you.

Here is a link with further details.

https://www.loudersound.com/news/ind...dge-dead-at-70

I listened to Throbbing Gristle before puberty hit and didn't even know the name of Industrial music. I was a little Punk kid like the one in Suburbia that dies in the end. Later I realized so much more about TG and the new kind of music they birthed along with a small handful of other artistic geniuses.

This is such a sad thing. I don't have words for it.

Instead here's some of my favorites.

Anyway sorry to be the bearer of bad news in these trying times.
Genesis was an immense source of inspiration in both music and in living life, your life as you want to without shame. And the world has lost another great spirit.
Goodbye Genesis.
Old 17th March 2020
Lives for gear
Old 17th March 2020
Lives for gear

When the gristle no longer throbs.
Old 17th March 2020
Gear Guru

The music was cool, but am I the only one that was more pulled into Psychic TV by the cultish mythos they'd built up around themselves? Why start a band when you can start a coven?
Old 17th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
The music was cool, but am I the only one that was more pulled into Psychic TV by the cultish mythos they'd built up around themselves? Why start a band when you can start a coven?
If you aren't already in a Coven, you're missing oot.
Old 18th March 2020
Here for the gear
Fix8:Sed8 - Baptism of Fire

Physical Wash - Faith

Velvet Acid Christ - Grizzly Reaper

Rein - There Is No Authority but Yourself
Old 21st March 2020
Old 18th April 2020
Here for the gear
Phase Fatale - Binding by Oath

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthium View Post
The album cover has an x-ray of someone getting fisted? Yep, I'm in.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

There’s a new Jihad album coming out \[T]/

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

New song from my band Black Agent. Dying Time. Hopefully you guys don't think it sucks

*nevermid the Computer Controlled, i have to share one profile with my two projects.
Old 4 weeks ago
R7P
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthium View Post

Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Sadly I don't know of any recent industrial that does not suck. But did any of you industrial heads get into gabber at all during the early 90s? That's what I grew up with in Rotterdam. As a teen I was completely oblivious of influences that contributed to this sound. Only later I got into EBM & industrial, and discovered Skinny Puppy and Ministry tracks from the late 80s and early 90s. It was amazing to me to discover that great and very hard electronic music was made so early on.

Gabber of course was way more dancefloor oriented, there were no bands with front men, and there was hardly any political message.

I get a kind of similar "twisted fun" vibe from some Revolting Cocks tracks like "Do you think I'm sexy".

Also there are many goa and psytrance producers who love industrial, in fact Youth from Killing Joke was kind of a mentor to the beginning goa scene with his Butterfly Records label.

Here is a mindblowing psytrance track by Syb Unity Nettwerk Experience from their 1997 "Space Puppy" EP (the references in the names are obvious):

Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I'm working on a cover Assimilate, but i can't work out the initial sequence. I know what key it's in, but the getting the correct sound is killing me. I think it's just a 4/4 sequence with panning delay to give it life. But no matter what i do i just can't get it correct and it's driving me crazy.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard View Post
I'm working on a cover Assimilate, but i can't work out the initial sequence. I know what key it's in, but the getting the correct sound is killing me. I think it's just a 4/4 sequence with panning delay to give it life. But no matter what i do i just can't get it correct and it's driving me crazy.
Sounds like an ESQ-1. I had one until I got a Prophet VS, which does that type of sound as well.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Assimilate came out in 85, the ESQ-1 came out in 86,so it can't be that. I have ESQ-1 and can't get that sound though. But it's difficult to hear what it really sounds like since there's so much damn delay.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard View Post
Assimilate came out in 85, the ESQ-1 came out in 86,so it can't be that. I have ESQ-1 and can't get that sound though. But it's difficult to hear what it really sounds like since there's so much damn delay.
Then perhaps it is an 8 bit digital delay making the "digital analog" grainy sound. I mean, I know it is just a note on the bass drum, and the rest delay. Or it could be an analog sampled into a Mirage, with a delay on it.

But I can make that sound with my Prophet VS with no problem.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search