The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MIDI controller to send joystick/keyboard data
Old 19th February 2007
Gear interested

MIDI controller to send joystick/keyboard data

Hey, new member etc etc so not sure if this has been adressed or not but whatevss...

Anyone know how to use a MIDI controller (I'm using a Novation Remote 25 and an M-Audio Trigger Finger) to send either joystick or pc-keyboard data for use in Windows or other software that doesn't support MIDI mapping? You know, instead of Alt-F4 to close a window I could hit a pad on my MIDI controller and wham! instant awesomeness...

Not sure if this would require extra software to read the MIDI information and translate it or what, but any pointers would be cool. Thanks!
Old 20th February 2007
I use a contour shuttle that spits out keycommands
works flawlessly looks nice too.

midi to keycommands would not be practical.
Old 20th February 2007
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
I use a contour shuttle that spits out keycommands
works flawlessly looks nice too.

midi to keycommands would not be practical.
Thanks, the contour shuttle is a cool idea. I've never used one before - any suggestions or pointers for a PC-based application?

Not sure what you meant by the last bit though... care to expand?
Old 21st February 2007
Old 5th November 2012
Gear interested

MIDI

The sound on sound article is about sending MIDI after Windows picks up the joystick signal. The notion of "impracticality" is because MIDI and the keyboard/Joy signals are 2 different signals - I am not sure of the routing in Windows,but you'd need a program able to read the MPU401 device or similar and convert MIDI to a simulated key command sent to the keyboard buffer - whilst this is likely possible,having looked into MIDI programming in Windows for SYSx reasons,it is not the most viable situation.
Repil I believe meant that the joystick will spit out key commands - but that having MIDI turned into key commands would be more effort than it is worth.

No doubt this will set some hacker level programmer storming away to prove it can be done - if they haven't already.

Since Windows can sometimes (XP??) suffer from MIDI latency problems - some of us retro types program on old Atari/Commodore machines - and thence the MIDI is a lot more available to send to keyboard buffers.

I do not think MS programmers really keep musicians in mind when making their OS.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search