The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg MS-20 vs MS-20 Mini
Old 18th October 2016 | Show parent
  #61
Deleted User
Guest
I've heard good things about the English Tear hz/v>v/oct //v/oct>hz/v converter.



Quote:
Originally Posted by decoder23 View Post
I just bought an ms20 kit (without m), really looking forward to it.. the ms20 mini would have been tempting too, used for 350, but reading all the comments about the low build quality, the fake nut screws and so on made me spent more..
about the HZ/V and V/octave thing, could someone recommend a converter? I'd like to sequence the ms20 with my 303 and 101 from time to time..
Old 18th October 2016
  #62
Deleted User
Guest
I'd like to share a combo patch if you have a Monotribe along with an MS-20xx.

Headphones Out on MS-20xx to Audio Input on Monotribe (MT).
MT Headphone Out to Audio In on ESP.
Set input gain 4, next 3 controls 6,6,6

Feed output of CVfv back to External input on MS20xx
Old 18th October 2016 | Show parent
  #63
Gear Head
 
icelander's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by decoder23 View Post
I just bought an ms20 kit (without m), really looking forward to it.. the ms20 mini would have been tempting too, used for 350, but reading all the comments about the low build quality, the fake nut screws and so on made me spent more..
You made a wise choice. I own the kit version and love it. Easy to assemble, build is rock solid, sounds awesome, both filter choices. And I'm generally not a "Full Size keys or bust!" person, but having them is certainly a big plus IMO.
Old 18th October 2016 | Show parent
  #64
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by icelander View Post
You made a wise choice. I own the kit version and love it. Easy to assemble, build is rock solid, sounds awesome, both filter choices. And I'm generally not a "Full Size keys or bust!" person, but having them is certainly a big plus IMO.
at this pricepoint I also thought about the original.. but since I dont really know which of both filters I like more the ms20 kit will give me the possibily to switch between them which is its biggest advantage also over the mini imo. The mini keys wouldn't have been such a big problem, since I am less of a keyboardist but full size and better build quality are a plus for sure too.
Old 7th January 2017 | Show parent
  #65
Lives for gear
 
bcgood's Avatar
 





Old 7th January 2017 | Show parent
  #66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
I've heard good things about the English Tear hz/v>v/oct //v/oct>hz/v converter.
Im using this with my ms 20mini>pittsburgh/eurorack...takes a little to set up then is solid after that.
Old 8th January 2017 | Show parent
  #67
Lives for gear
 
bcgood's Avatar
 

Old 8th January 2017
  #68
Lives for gear
 
e3p0's Avatar
 

I bought the kit version (No M) before the module was available. I think I would rather the module, but I really enjoy this KB.

I have a Moog Little Phatty Stage II, but enjoy the patching and no memory. Both filter options is nice.

I am going down the Eurorack rabbit hole, so maybe the mini would have been a good idea in hindsight, but time will tell. The pots and jacks are velvety on the MS20 Kit. I was however shorted one patch cable.
Old 8th January 2017 | Show parent
  #69
Deleted User
Guest
I got all 10 with the 1 kit I built, but I only got 9 patch cables with the
MS-20kit I got from kijiji!
I smell a patch cord conspiracy!


Quote:
Originally Posted by e3p0 View Post
I was however shorted one patch cable.
Old 8th January 2017
  #70
Lives for gear
 
e3p0's Avatar
 

I knew it
Old 20th July 2017
  #71
Deleted User
Guest
Can anyone with an MS-20 mini tell me if it transmits polyphonically from the keybed
when used as a controller via
ms20mini>usb<pc>midi>another synth

On the MS-20kit it transmits polyphonically, either a bonus or an oversight, as this is
not mentioned in the MS-20xx manual.
Old 21st July 2017 | Show parent
  #72
stk
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
Can anyone with an MS-20 mini tell me if it transmits polyphonically from the keybed
when used as a controller via
ms20mini>usb<pc>midi>another synth

On the MS-20kit it transmits polyphonically, either a bonus or an oversight, as this is
not mentioned in the MS-20xx manual.
The Evil Overlord tells me that the MS-20mini transmits polyphonic MIDI over USB (but at fixed velocity). I'm afraid I can't verify that as I've since traded my mini (replaced with full-size kit and module).

Cheers
Old 21st July 2017 | Show parent
  #73
Deleted User
Guest
Thanks.
Velocity does not throw me, as I turn off VCA velocity on the controlled module,
a vermona perFOURmer


Quote:
Originally Posted by stk View Post
The Evil Overlord tells me that the MS-20mini transmits polyphonic MIDI over USB (but at fixed velocity). I'm afraid I can't verify that as I've since traded my mini (replaced with full-size kit and module).

Cheers
Old 12th June 2018
  #74
Deleted User
Guest
And the MS-20mini (or MS-20kit) can be made duophonic by taking the USB to Kenton USB>MIDI
then convert to Hz/V low note priority and feed the CV back to CV VCO2 from CV OCD.
Playing it that way right now.

Last edited by Zaphod Betamax; 12th June 2018 at 02:08 AM..
Old 30th June 2020 | Show parent
  #75
Lives for gear
 
Seditionary's Avatar
 

In a blind test, I actually preferred the mini to the original here from 3:30 to 4:10 or so -- https://cdm.link/2013/02/tested-ms-2...-audio-photos/
Old 30th June 2020 | Show parent
  #76
Lives for gear
 
hcppp's Avatar
It is not mentioned (or I missed it) whether the original was an MK1 or MK2.

Tests which I would like to see more of are
a) MS-20Kit (MK1 mode) vs the mini
b) MS-20M (MK1 mode) vs the mini
c) Behringer K2 (MK1 mode) vs the mini
d) the new MS-20FS (MK1 mode) vs the mini

As I only have a MS-20Kit (sold me second one for space)
I really can not comment on which is better.

I can say that when I had 2 MS-20Kits that they were not identical
as they are analogue and even in MK2 mode with identical hand-dialed-in
settings, they had variations (one was #1206 and the other #1209 )

Not a big fan of MK1 filters, so I guess the mini is not in the cards for me.
A K2 is a more likely candidate if the Behringer Cat does not happen to
get to Canada in a timely manner.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Seditionary View Post
In a blind test, I actually preferred the mini to the original here from 3:30 to 4:10 or so -- https://cdm.link/2013/02/tested-ms-2...-audio-photos/
Old 30th June 2020 | Show parent
  #77
Lives for gear
 
hcppp's Avatar
It is not mentioned (or I missed it) whether the original was an MK1 or MK2.

Tests which I would like to see more of are
a) MS-20Kit (MK1 mode) vs the mini
b) MS-20M (MK1 mode) vs the mini
c) Behringer K2 (MK1 mode) vs the mini
d) the new MS-20FS (MK1 mode) vs the mini

As I only have a MS-20Kit (sold me second one for space)
I really can not comment on which is better.

I can say that when I had 2 MS-20Kits that they were not identical
as they are analogue and even in MK2 mode with identical hand-dialed-in
settings, they had variations (one was #1206 and the other #1209 )

Not a big fan of MK1 filters, so I guess the mini is not in the cards for me.
A K2 is a more likely candidate if the Behringer Cat does not happen to
get to Canada in a timely manner.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Seditionary View Post
In a blind test, I actually preferred the mini to the original here from 3:30 to 4:10 or so -- https://cdm.link/2013/02/tested-ms-2...-audio-photos/
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 4277 views: 611112
Avatar for mtps
mtps 1 week ago
replies: 331 views: 57206
Avatar for Stevism
Stevism 10th December 2018
replies: 55 views: 17612
Avatar for abruzzi
abruzzi 9th January 2017
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump