The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looper with MIDI sync
Old 3rd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Ah, OK. So, no metronome on the Pigtronix? That makes sense, I guess. I’ve actually seen guys with great timing do amazing things with an unsynced/quantized EDP, but I’m sure it’s not easy.
For sure, as long as you press start and stop to trigger your loop(s) "in the pocket", your good to go in a live situation. There's a time for sync and a time for no sync, it's all up to you. Pushing and pulling on the beat to modulate and/or alter your groove is a real art, which is all part of the fun!

Old 4th December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
Absolutely! And, the good news is that such a looper as the EHX 45000 can do it both ways, either internal clock/metronome OR external MIDI sync. Trying to manual sync with external gear is not the way to go.

But, clearly, the Infinity excels in the external sync dept, along with 48/24 audio quality (vs 44.1/16).

Yesterday i received a lesser know Electrix Repeater stereo looper with MIDI sync which should be a blast (we shall see!). Anybody else out there using a Repeater?

Imogene Heap used and maybe still uses an Electrix Repeater, does amazing layered vocal stuff with it.
Old 30th January 2018
Gear Head

Hey Guys ! i've been reading this thread for quite some time and it got me a bit confused between the RC-505 and the Infinity.

My main concerns is :

1- Sound Quality

2- Midi sync, quantitate features.

I want to connect to it at least 3 or 4 instruments, which means at leats 3 mono inputs, and i'm not sure i can and i'm actually surprised i couldn't find so much information about it, and i found this can be very limited.

So to give you an example of my set, at least i would need to connect microphone, Guitar and Novation Circuit.

I can connect the Mic to the Mic input and Guitars to the Left mono input, but then CAN i connect the Circuit to the right input? (as i understood it doesn't work as mono).

And what about the AUX? can i connect another 4th instrument (say a synthesiser) through the AUX somehow?

OR i have heard people connecting it through stereo inputs and outputs directly to the PA, so you can loop any instrument connected to the PA, but that's a bit limiting because it will record anything playing at the time (say another another band member, that i wouldn't connect it to the looper in the normal case).

Would appreciate your replies because i was going to buy the RC-505 looper today, only paused when i read about the quality.

Much appreciated,
Best,
Yousef
Old 30th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by percussion boy View Post
Imogene Heap used and maybe still uses an Electrix Repeater, does amazing layered vocal stuff with it.
Nice!

I watched the new documentary movie about Dr. Dre (and Jimmy Iovine) called “The Defiant Ones” - which was excellent.

Whadayaknow, but in the very exclusive front section of Dre’s CR, within easy reach at a moments notice - racked just to the right of his right monitor - was none other than the Electrix Repeater.

I’d imagine he sampled, stretched, looped and grooved with this thing quite a lot.

Gin and Juice baby!

Old 30th January 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousefk View Post
Hey Guys ! i've been reading this thread for quite some time and it got me a bit confused between the RC-505 and the Infinity.

My main concerns is :

1- Sound Quality

I want to connect to it at least 3 or 4 instruments, which means at leats 3 mono inputs, and i'm not sure i can and i'm actually surprised i couldn't find so much information about it, and i found this can be very limited.

So to give you an example of my set, at least i would need to connect microphone, Guitar and Novation Circuit.

I can connect the Mic to the Mic input and Guitars to the Left mono input, but then CAN i connect the Circuit to the right input? (as i understood it doesn't work as mono).

And what about the AUX? can i connect another 4th instrument (say a synthesiser) through the AUX somehow?

OR i have heard people connecting it through stereo inputs and outputs directly to the PA, so you can loop any instrument connected to the PA, but that's a bit limiting because it will record anything playing at the time (say another another band member, that i wouldn't connect it to the looper in the normal case).

Would appreciate your replies because i was going to buy the RC-505 looper today, only paused when i read about the quality.

Much appreciated,
Best,
Yousef
I just got a 505 to replace a ditto x4 ... ditto sounded great but I could never totally figure out how to make it play nice with others, re MIDI sync.

The sound quality on the 505 is definitely fine for live, and it will sync or quantize pretty much however you want. It might take some time with the manual to understand what the options are.

Re connections — as you said, seems like you could:

* plug guitar into one line input
* plug Circuit into the other line input (use Circuit in mono—left output only)
* plug mic into mic input

You could also plug a small mixer into one or both line inputs, if you want to use several synths — more flexible than using the AUX input for a second synth. (If you use both line inputs for the mixer, you can have your synths in stereo ... but then the question is, where do you get a high-impedance input to plug in the guitar?)

Assuming you have the guitar and the Circuit in the 505’s line inputs, and you want everything in mono coming out of the 505, only use the 505’s left output. This will sum all the inputs to one mono signal. Running mono in a live situation is no big deal and some people prefer it.

I see your concern re the PA idea. What makes sense is to run an effects send from the PA’s mixer to the 505; then the sound person could choose at any time what instruments to send to the looper. But this idea makes no sense unless the sound person is with the band and knows the music.

Hope this helps.
Old 30th January 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
I just got a 505 to replace a ditto x4 ... ditto sounded great but I could never totally figure out how to make it play nice with others, re MIDI sync.

The sound quality on the 505 is definitely fine for live, and it will sync or quantize pretty much however you want. It might take some time with the manual to understand what the options are.

Re connections — as you said, seems like you could:

* plug guitar into one line input
* plug Circuit into the other line input (use Circuit in mono—left output only)
* plug mic into mic input

You could also plug a small mixer into one or both line inputs, if you want to use several synths — more flexible than using the AUX input for a second synth. (If you use both line inputs for the mixer, you can have your synths in stereo ... but then the question is, where do you get a high-impedance input to plug in the guitar?)

Assuming you have the guitar and the Circuit in the 505’s line inputs, and you want everything in mono coming out of the 505, only use the 505’s left output. This will sum all the inputs to one mono signal. Running mono in a live situation is no big deal and some people prefer it.

I see your concern re the PA idea. What makes sense is to run an effects send from the PA’s mixer to the 505; then the sound person could choose at any time what instruments to send to the looper. But this idea makes no sense unless the sound person is with the band and knows the music.

Hope this helps.
Thanks man that was really helpful.

I was just worried about the sound quality because one guy wrote here that there was a HUGE difference in sound quality between the Boss and the Infinity, but as you confirm it's ok for live then i will go for it, as i will only use it live.

About the mixer idea also makes sense maybe and for the guitar it can be solved with DI boxes, but for now i think i will go with it connecting all the instrument with it, and the only second synth i might use is the Korg Minilogue, which i can also sync it to the machine and use its own sequencer, i don't know, i'll see.

I didn't understand why some people might prefer to have everything out from the Boss as mono?

Best,
Yousef
Old 31st January 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:

I was just worried about the sound quality because one guy wrote here that there was a HUGE difference in sound quality between the Boss and the Infinity, but as you confirm it's ok for live then i will go for it, as i will only use it live.

About the mixer idea also makes sense maybe and for the guitar it can be solved with DI boxes, but for now i think i will go with it connecting all the instrument with it, and the only second synth i might use is the Korg Minilogue, which i can also sync it to the machine and use its own sequencer, i don't know, i'll see.

I didn't understand why some people might prefer to have everything out from the Boss as mono?

Best,
Yousef
Glad that helped. I wasn’t sure whether to answer because I’m still a 505 rookie; hopefully others will chime in if I missed anything.

Re using the Boss with one output for mono:

The two line inputs are intended as a stereo pair, since the 505 makes stereo loops. So I’m assuming that if the guitar is plugged into the Left line input, and the Circuit is in the Right line input at the same time, that you will end up with the dry guitar signal recorded, and played back, only in the left output, and the Circuit only in the right output. (There is a pan control per track, but I’m not sure how it acts if you’re recording with both line inputs in use.) Using only the left 505 output causes the 505 to sum all the stereo signals to mono — you don’t have to worry about a certain loop only playing back on one side.

Just an educated guess, at this point.

Re 505 sound quality vs. the Infinity: I haven’t owned the Infinity, but have heard Daniel Davis youtubes where he made really nice ambient synth music with it — the loops were indistinguishable from the original (see post 110 earlier). Sometimes I think the Ditto x4 sounds more true, fuller, than the 505, but the 505 sounds good to me—it’s not noisy or thin or lo-fi—and for a gig it seems fine. I would be more concerned about packing the 505 well if I were moving it, because it doesn’t look too sturdy, with the little faders and all.

fwiw, RonF has owned both the Infinity and 505. When I asked him earlier in the thread (post 177) to compare, he said the sound quality was the same. He used to have synth youtubes up where the 505 sounded good. People seem to disagree on this one.

Last edited by percussion boy; 31st January 2018 at 12:54 AM.. Reason: accidental links
Old 31st January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Best,
Yousef
I haven’t used the RC505 but i had the RC500, which i traded for an Infinity...and I thought the quality was night and day.

But, in the context of a live show, probably no one would notice.
Old 31st January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:

My main concerns is :

1- Sound Quality

Much appreciated,
Best,
Yousef
What you want to do is put your looper in a stereo effects bus of a mixer.
Old 31st January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:

Best,
Yousef
I abandoned using traditional guitar gear when looping. I’ve gotten great results using a Vox Tonelab SE, and now a Kemper Amp Modeler. So much easier to deal with and the results are great.
Old 1st February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
What you want to do is put your looper in a stereo effects bus of a mixer.
This is the ideal solution: Synths and guitar into the mixer channels, looper on a stereo effects send and return.

Obviously the guitar would need to hit the mixer through a direct box, or some other device that provides a line level to the mixer input — I assume the Kemper, etc., ZC mentioned above ^ do this...
Old 2nd February 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
This is the ideal solution: Synths and guitar into the mixer channels, looper on a stereo effects send and return.

Obviously the guitar would need to hit the mixer through a direct box, or some other device that provides a line level to the mixer input — I assume the Kemper, etc., ZC mentioned above ^ do this...
They do.

I ended up ditching real amps when I began adding more synthesis to my music. Micing a cab just doesn’t work well, especially if you’re like me and keep the loop open with <100% feedback.

If you can swing a Kemper or AxeFX, they’re really your best solution. Maybe a real tube amp with a TwoTone Torpedo, but that’s less flexible but maybe with a slight edge on sound quality. Nothing you’ll notice live. In fact, as a former audio engineer, I’ll tell you that guitar amp cabs are a giant PITA to mix (especially large wattage models), especially without in-ear monitors. Even when I had my cheap ToneLab I would get lots of compliments.
Old 10th April 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES View Post
KMI Soft Step. I have a bunch of presets and not only control the pedal but scenes in Live. I also have a 12-step that I mailed ordered and am experimenting with.
Hi JES !

I have a question please if you don't mind i would love to know how do you control the Boss rc-505 with your KMI Softstep? Do you connect them through the expander? or just through usb?

And which preset did you chose for assigning parameters?

did you do it through the boss machine or you you mapped everything through the Softstep advanced editor? I'm struggling to get it work :(

Would appreciate any help from you !

Greets from Berlin
Old 10th April 2018
JES
Lives for gear

Sorry, I don’t have the Boss and can’t help. In the end, I abandoned the KMI products. My feet are too big or something. I could never get the timing right. Depending on what I’m doing, I use an Infinity Looper or a RJM mastermind LT and Live. Very happy with both, though each has limitations.
Old 4th May 2018
Gear Head

Quote:

Hi again

I ended up getting your advice and getting a mixer (Mackie 1202 VLZ4) which is pretty decent advice to be honest. things are more clear and controlled.

I have just a small problem that this mixer doesn't send stereo signal to the Looper :( only send mono and return stereo. quite frustrating to lose some nice stereo sound from my circuit..

Anyway, also wondering about the way you do the looping through the mixer. Because if i send something to the looper it will double the sound.
For example when i play the guitar, the audio signal is coming from the guitar channel and from the looper channel (because it is sent from the guitar channel) so its loud, but when i finish looping now only the sound of the looper plays which will make it lower than before...
And to mute either and unmute later doesn't make sense while looping...so i was wondering how do people do it actually?
Old 8th May 2018
Gear Head
In case it's of interest to anyone... I FINALLY found my perfect, but very expensive, solution...

The Allen & Heath DB4 DJ mixer... Has a looper on each track, plus amazing routing capabilities, plus exceptional FX...

Granted, loops are limited to 4 bars max, but for the stuff I want to do, it's perfect.

Yea.. I bought a $2,000 DJ mixer to use as a looper... Holy **** what's wrong with me?
Old 30th July 2018
Gear Nut

Hi guys i've decided to sell my DB4. Excellent condition never gigged. Comes in it's travel bag with spare knob caps plus cables.

I'm in London so please come and check it out if you're interested.

£1250.

Thanks.
Old 15th October 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Quote:

Hi again

I ended up getting your advice and getting a mixer (Mackie 1202 VLZ4) which is pretty decent advice to be honest. things are more clear and controlled.

I have just a small problem that this mixer doesn't send stereo signal to the Looper :( only send mono and return stereo. quite frustrating to lose some nice stereo sound from my circuit..

Anyway, also wondering about the way you do the looping through the mixer. Because if i send something to the looper it will double the sound.
For example when i play the guitar, the audio signal is coming from the guitar channel and from the looper channel (because it is sent from the guitar channel) so its loud, but when i finish looping now only the sound of the looper plays which will make it lower than before...
And to mute either and unmute later doesn't make sense while looping...so i was wondering how do people do it actually?

I would LOVE to hear the solution to this. I've been trying to do this with my Flashback x4 and it's killing me to figure out how to fix that.
Will someone please chime in on this?

ALSO, I'm curious to know why the Boomerang III seemed to disappear from this thread. It seemed to be a fantastic competitor with the infinity looper.
Old 24th October 2018
Here for the gear

Infinity examples

Quote:
Originally Posted by flarfadelic View Post
I would LOVE to hear the solution to this. I've been trying to do this with my Flashback x4 and it's killing me to figure out how to fix that.
Will someone please chime in on this?

ALSO, I'm curious to know why the Boomerang III seemed to disappear from this thread. It seemed to be a fantastic competitor with the infinity looper.
I don't have experience with the boomerang but the Infinity is the only one that works for me. It has just enough features, not too much, the size is acceptable and the midi sync is awesome!
Here's an example of me doing some live looping with an inexpensive Akai drum machine:
YouTube

The aux-out function is crucial when playing live with a drummer. Without being able to send just the loop to the drummer's monitor, IMO it would be unusable live, especially without IEMs.
Here's an example of me playing with a drummer where it kinda-sorta works:
YouTube
Old 21st November 2019
Here for the gear

Does anyone here know how to filter the RC505 start stop messages with out a midi interface? i have a Mio2 from iconnectivity but would rather use it for other functions any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 21st November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoomCha View Post
Does anyone here know how to filter the RC505 start stop messages with out a midi interface? i have a Mio2 from iconnectivity but would rather use it for other functions any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Midi Solutions Event Processor
Old 29th November 2019
Here for the gear

Massively informative thread -- thanks, all! I'm a trombone/low-brass player, starting to learn live looping. I have some gear -- I mean besides 7 trombones, 3 euphoniums, two tubas, and a bass trumpet -- Ableton Live 10 (Standard), as well as a synth (an ancient Kawai K4) and a foot pedal, and a Behringer wireless PA. I've been fooling with Ableton for awhile, and clearly, it CAN do what I want (I know this, because I've seen it on YouTube in any number of tutorials; I also have the manual and the Margulies book) -- simple multitrack looping, with overdubbing and independent volume controls -- but it's a very complex piece of software, and I'm finding it a challenge to learn. I also use Ableton for other purposes (recording/mixing)... but for live looping, it might be that I'm taking the wrong approach, and that it would be easier to start with a simple hardware looper, so I can just get down to making music quickly, jump in and make some of my arrangements come to life, etc., and if I outgrow it, adjust accordingly. From this thread, it sounds as though devices like the RC-505, Pigtronix Infinity, EXH products, Ditto X4, would all do what I want. Has anyone had reliability issues with the Ditto? (E.g., from the reviews on one of the major retailers, a number of people ran into bugs or had the thing die on them.) It looks dirt-simple to use, and with two loopers, plus blowing over them live with my horn, that really is about all I need, to do a lot of the music I have in mind at this point. In any case, thanks for all the info in this thread.
Old 9th May 2020
Here for the gear

I read through all of this page and found it interesting that the Boss RC-202 was mentioned in passing only once in the whole thread. It seems to have a lot of shared features with the 505 but only two loop channels like the infinity. It's also $100 cheaper than the infinity pricing at $299. Anyone have any opinions on how it fares? Does it have as smooth midi syncing? Does it sound as good, etc?

I'd also love to hear more about the feature comparison between the Infinity and the Boomerang more. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each and the 202 for that matter.

One last question. What happens to the loops on the Infinity or Boomerang when you slow down the master clock? For instance if you have a drum machine that is sending midi into one of the loopers and you want to slow down the tempo of the drums to end the song. Thanks for all of the information shared here! I learned a lot from this thread.
Old 26th August 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post
+1 on the RC505, especially w new system 2 software update.

+1000 on Loopy HD on iPad w a good interface, especially w Ableton Link as sync! 12 sync locked tracks. Soooo many features.
Does Loopy HD offer feedback amount control? Meaning, can I keep a synced loop open and have older iterations slowly be replaced with new content.
Old 26th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Does Loopy HD offer feedback amount control? Meaning, can I keep a synced loop open and have older iterations slowly be replaced with new content.
Nope, not that kind of looper.

Enso and I think maybe Looperverse?
Old 26th August 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterzaffro View Post
I read through all of this page and found it interesting that the Boss RC-202 was mentioned in passing only once in the whole thread. It seems to have a lot of shared features with the 505 but only two loop channels like the infinity. It's also $100 cheaper than the infinity pricing at $299. Anyone have any opinions on how it fares? Does it have as smooth midi syncing? Does it sound as good, etc?

I'd also love to hear more about the feature comparison between the Infinity and the Boomerang more. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each and the 202 for that matter.

One last question. What happens to the loops on the Infinity or Boomerang when you slow down the master clock? For instance if you have a drum machine that is sending midi into one of the loopers and you want to slow down the tempo of the drums to end the song. Thanks for all of the information shared here! I learned a lot from this thread.
The only looper that I’m aware of that can deal with large MIDI clock changes is the Electrix Repeater.
Old 26th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterzaffro View Post
My RC202 sits in a box.

I hate that thing and it's maybe one of the only things I have ever wanted to throw at a wall. I only keep it because it's really fun if you just use it for basic dumb looping and messing with the fx. MIDI sync is usable, not precise.
📝 Reply