The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dreadbox Abyss Analog Polyphonic Synthesizer Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 17th June 2016
Dreadbox Abyss Analog Polyphonic Synthesizer

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGumBReI...by=dreadbox.fx
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCsYPYDo...by=dreadbox.fx

Let the speculation begin...
Old 17th June 2016
Lives for gear

Hades, Abyss... These guys make synthesizers with such positive and uplifting names! How nice!
Old 17th June 2016
Lives for gear

Yes ! Been really hoping for something like this from these guys.

Looks like it might be a good NAMM after all !
Old 17th June 2016
Lives for gear

For starters, I don't like their lettering.

I hope it's a full VCO synth. Some quick routing via patch cables wouldn't hurt...
Old 17th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha View Post
Hades, Abyss... These guys make synthesizers with such positive and uplifting names! How nice!
I quite like it actually.
Old 17th June 2016
Lives for gear

Personally I think they make some of the most design-literate synths around. The Erebus and Hades are beautiful objects, and their Modular is striking too.
Old 17th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
The company is called dreadbox. What do you expect?
Old 17th June 2016
Lives for gear

They were once called Murmux, I think , and then changed it.
Old 17th June 2016
OMG its ORANGE! I want it so I can put it on the stand with my Microwave XTK! Then all I will need is a Roland D2, an Alesis AirSynth and the Chrome Ornage version of the Casio XW-P1 and I'm totally set for the Halloween themed studio! I even have Orange Halloween Christams lights!
Old 17th June 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. View Post
Personally I think they make some of the most design-literate synths around. The Erebus and Hades are beautiful objects, and their Modular is striking too.
I absolutely agree. I suppose they could sell those boxes with no analogue-whatsoever in them. Your brain would then add the missing ''warmth'' just because they look the part
Old 17th June 2016
Will it have CEM3340 VCOs?
Old 17th June 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 View Post
Will it have CEM3340 VCOs?
I doubt it.
Old 17th June 2016
Lives for gear
Erebus is one of the best sounding synths I've ever heard. A poly with that same sound would be awesome. Just make it 5 octaves please!
Old 18th June 2016
Lives for gear

5 octaves? First of all, it will be a desktop module. Second, 5 octaves...neva. ever heard of a midi keyboard?
Old 18th June 2016
Lives for gear

minikeys all the way!!!
Old 18th June 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
And don't forget the Erebus!

From wikipee:

In Greek mythology, Erebus /ˈɛrəbəs/, also Erebos (Greek: Ἔρεβος, "deep darkness, shadow"), was often conceived as a primordial deity, representing the personification of darkness; for instance, Hesiod's Theogony identifies him as one of the first five beings in existence, born of Chaos.Erebus features little in Greek mythological tradition and literature, but is said to have fathered several other deities with Nyx; depending on the source of the mythology, this union includes Aether, Hemera, the Hesperides, Hypnos, the Moirai, Geras, Styx, Charon, and Thanatos.

In Greek literature the name Erebus is also used of a region of the Greek underworld where the dead pass immediately after dying, and is sometimes used interchangeably with Tartarus.

The perceived meaning of Erebus is "darkness"; the first recorded instance of it was "place of darkness between earth and Hades". The name Ἔρεβος itself originates from PIE *h1regʷ-es/os- "darkness" (cf. Sanskrit rájas, Gothic riqis, Old Norse røkkr).
According to the Greek oral poet Hesiod's Theogony, Erebus is the offspring of Chaos, and brother to Nyx: "From Chaos came forth Erebus and black Night; but of Night were born Aether and Day, whom she conceived and bore from union in love with Erebus." Hesiod, Theogony (120–125)

The Roman writer Hyginus, in his Fabulae, described Erebus as the father of Geras, the god of old age.
Old 18th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Clef View Post
Erebus is one of the best sounding synths I've ever heard. A poly with that same sound would be awesome. Just make it 5 octaves please!
Agreed

I had one briefly and they sound awesome. Good build quality too.

A poly version would be killer.
Old 18th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
OMG its ORANGE! I want it so I can put it on the stand with my Microwave XTK! Then all I will need is a Roland D2, an Alesis AirSynth and the Chrome Ornage version of the Casio XW-P1 and I'm totally set for the Halloween themed studio! I even have Orange Halloween Christams lights!
You also need to add some purple: Emu MP-7, Fizmo Rack and the purple dotcom modular.
Old 22nd June 2016
Lives for gear

Austerity measures and communist censorship keep you from seeing the whole thing.
Old 22nd June 2016
Lives for gear

They are from Greece, not North Korea.
Old 22nd June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Clef View Post
This.

5 voice poly and punchier envelopes than the Erebus. No keyboard necessary for me though

Really looking forward to this in any case.
Old 22nd June 2016
ideally i'd like 8, but hope for at least 6 voices if its the discrete tech from Erebus

ideally, i wish for true PWM on both oscillators, more standard waveshapes, octave switches etc. 2 lfos , pink/white noise gen, ability to do filter fm by vco2 or noise gen. and yes faster envelopes. in other words a highend-ish solution. if the sound is there, i dont see a problem it finding its market.

looking at the erebus setup, i wouldn't need onboard step sequencing, cheapo PT chip delay effects, could even do with desktop only, but a 4oct kbd would also be nice.

Last edited by clusterchord; 13th October 2016 at 02:39 PM..
Old 22nd June 2016
Lives for gear

Not again that erebus style panel, it looks fugly.
Old 22nd June 2016
Lives for gear
Good to see a smaller company like dreadbox busting out the big guns. I think it really shows that they are 'one of us' so to speak. Of course they will make money on it, but maybe thats not their primary goal. Maybe they are chasing the sound or the feel or the fame of dropping a badass product onto the market. Korg did great with the minilogue, but really they short changed what could have been SUPER-great to keep it under a price point and who can blame them, they are still sold out almost everywhere. We still see people asking for that next great analog poly. DSI stuff sounds great whether you go OB or Prophet, but we've heard it before. The erebus sounds amazing and if there is anyway they capture that voice in a poly, it will be awesome. We should have had a novation super station 8 by now (8 voice digitally controlled analog based on the bass station II architecture), maybe this will fill that void of a more than a minilogue / maybe less than a prophet / and if not then, the new sound.

Old 23rd June 2016
Lives for gear

I'm not sure a company like Dreadbox will make something with patch memory. Which brings me to think there's a chance this will be a polysynth in the same sense as the vermona Perfourmer.
Old 23rd June 2016
Yes I really love the Erebus. I would want a poly for sure!
Old 30th June 2016
Lives for gear

I asked Dimitra from Dreadbox and this is what he was willing to reveal:
Quote:
We are currently working on the Abyss synthesizer J

It will be released around September and it will have 4 voices.

I cannot reveal any other features or pricing at the moment.

Just stay tuned !
Old 30th June 2016
Lives for gear

8 voices or it didn't happen.

Patch storage or it didn't happen.
Old 30th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Other Guy View Post
8 voices or it didn't happen.

Patch storage or it didn't happen.
Your high resolution digital camera on your smartphone can take all the shots you want and call them...presets. Done!
Old 30th June 2016
Lives for gear

Let's hope it's like the profit and that you don't have to tune every single voice by hand every time to make a poly sound
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search