The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dreadbox Abyss Analog Polyphonic Synthesizer
Old 10th March 2017
  #391
Deleted User 
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubnspace View Post
well bit the bullet and pre-ordered from synthesizer.gl. 906Euros shipped to U.S., about $960, compared to $1093 from Thomann.
I can't see a preorder deal on synthesizer.gr

Still, good to see a non-Behringer post on Behringerslutz.
Old 10th March 2017
  #392
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licudi View Post
I can't see a preorder deal on synthesizer.gr

Still, good to see a non-Behringer post on Behringerslutz.
I don't think it was a "Deal" so much as being in the US, I dont' have to pay VAT.. so cheaper for me.
Old 11th March 2017
  #393
Deleted User 
Guest
Don't know if it's cockup-city, but synthesizer.gr is now showing Abyss as sold out.
Old 15th March 2017
  #394
Gear Nut
 

Is it just me, or is it taking Sonic Lab forever to put out a review of the Abyss?
Old 15th March 2017
  #395
Lives for gear
 
steelyfan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepykeith View Post
Is it just me, or is it taking Sonic Lab forever to put out a review of the Abyss?
Ha! I keep waiting and checking their page too.
Old 15th March 2017
  #396
Deleted User 
Guest
Ty Unwin was on the Sonic State podcast a few weeks ago raving about Abyss. Seems Dreadbox loaned him a prototype. Or more likely a pre-production unit.
Old 19th March 2017
  #397
Gear Nut
 
Zipkode's Avatar
They are up for pre-order on synthisizer.gr. Just picked up one of the "May" preempt-orders. Thought I wasn't sure if I would pick this one up but when I saw it available, no hesitation
Old 19th March 2017
  #398
Deleted User 
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipkode View Post
They are up for pre-order on synthisizer.gr. Just picked up one of the "May" preempt-orders. Thought I wasn't sure if I would pick this one up but when I saw it available, no hesitation
Well spotted. I see synthesizer.gr wants €1150. Given the Dreadbox site is still showing SRP of €1099, it seems there will be no bargain preorders as with Nyx. Probably just as well - means I can be sensible and hold back until the new tax year or even try before I buy.
Old 19th March 2017
  #399
Gear Nut
 
Zipkode's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licudi View Post
Well spotted. I see synthesizer.gr wants €1150. Given the Dreadbox site is still showing SRP of €1099, it seems there will be no bargain preorders as with Nyx. Probably just as well - means I can be sensible and hold back until the new tax year or even try before I buy.
It was a different price about an hour ago. You might want to email them to see what happened.
Old 19th March 2017
  #400
Deleted User 
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipkode View Post
It was a different price about an hour ago. You might want to email them to see what happened.
I had an email from synthesizer.gr saying there'd be just five Abyss available per month. Maybe that figure is just for synthesizer.gr. Anyway, I assume Dreadbox will ramp up production.
Old 19th March 2017
  #401
Gear Nut
 
Zipkode's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licudi View Post
Well spotted. I see synthesizer.gr wants €1150. Given the Dreadbox site is still showing SRP of €1099, it seems there will be no bargain preorders as with Nyx. Probably just as well - means I can be sensible and hold back until the new tax year or even try before I buy.
Did you actually sign in with an account? It only looks like it is that price if you are in Greece, €222 added. If you make an account that amount is taken off and its €927.
Old 20th March 2017
  #402
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipkode View Post
Did you actually sign in with an account? It only looks like it is that price if you are in Greece, €222 added. If you make an account that amount is taken off and its €927.
when I preordered one last week it was 886 Euro. So they definitely raised the price. Sadly, I had to cancel that preorder now I wish I hadn't.
Old 21st March 2017
  #403
Gear Nut
 
Zipkode's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubnspace View Post
when I preordered one last week it was 886 Euro. So they definitely raised the price. Sadly, I had to cancel that preorder now I wish I hadn't.
Its back down to €886 again. Its still risky as there aren't many demos, but the time is now to save some $$$. So far I've really enjoyed everything I have bought from them (two synths) so hopefully this one carries on tradition
Old 21st March 2017
  #404
Lives for gear
 
OurDarkness's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipkode View Post
Its back down to €886 again.
That's the price without VAT though.
Old 21st March 2017
  #405
Gear Nut
 
Zipkode's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness View Post
That's the price without VAT though.
Just Europe has VAT? Why not send it to a different address and have it shipped from there?
Old 21st March 2017
  #406
Lives for gear
 
OurDarkness's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipkode View Post
Just Europe has VAT? Why not send it to a different address and have it shipped from there?
Currently the VAT in Greece is 24% so the Abyss would cost 886,29 * 1,24 = 1.098,9996 euros, so basically 1.099 euros like synthesizer.gr says.

I don't know however, if there is some fluctuation regarding where one is located. Just send them an email.
Old 21st March 2017
  #407
Gear Nut
 
Zipkode's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness View Post
Currently the VAT in Greece is 24% so the Abyss would cost 886,29 * 1,24 = 1.098,9996 euros, so basically 1.099 euros like synthesizer.gr says.

I don't know however, if there is some fluctuation regarding where one is located. Just send them an email.
there is no VAT to the US.
Old 22nd March 2017
  #408
Deleted User 
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipkode View Post
Just Europe has VAT? Why not send it to a different address and have it shipped from there?
Yeah, VAT is an EU theft. I mean tax.

No point getting it shipped to States to avoid tax as customs duty and additional shipping wipes out any possible savings.

The only things certain in life are death, taxes and abysmal IDM.
Old 23rd March 2017
  #409
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licudi View Post
Yeah, VAT is an EU theft. I mean tax.

No point getting it shipped to States to avoid tax as customs duty and additional shipping wipes out any possible savings.

The only things certain in life are death, taxes and abysmal IDM.
I just want to quote a friend of mine
"Is taxation theft?

Where I live, there is a lot of thievery going on. People are robbed of their quad bikes, their chain saws, MTB:s, toolboxes and what not.

As far as anyone can tell, none of these thefts has brought basic civil service to society. No one those crimes has helped with new roads, water pipes, child/elderly care or commuting.

Tax, on the other hand does all that.

Ergo, taxation is not theft, you get something in return from it."

Also, I have an Abyss on pre-order (that is why I have been reading this thread dying for anything on the Abyss in general)

Cheers
Old 24th March 2017
  #410
Deleted User 
Guest
Personally, I don't think anyone should have to pay an extra 20% EU tax for a Dreadbox Abyss just because the already highly paid Brussels officials decided to award themselves mind-bending gold-plated final-salary pensions. It interests me that you do.

Cheers.
Old 24th March 2017
  #411
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licudi View Post
Personally, I don't think anyone should have to pay an extra 20% EU tax for a Dreadbox Abyss just because the already highly paid Brussels officials decided to award themselves mind-bending gold-plated final-salary pensions. It interests me that you do.

Cheers.
Extra? If you live in the US you pay state tax that is put on top of the stuff you buy, it is 15% in many states.
Where I live it is 25%. Greece has 24%.

Mind-bending gold-plated final-salary pensions is all the rage in every corner of society, not only EU officials. I don't like it and I think it has gone overboard in many cases.

I shopped my synth from Synthesizer.gr both becuase of price and that I want to support greek economy that has had a rough time.

I care about society, tax is a way to support that. One always has to fight corruption in all layers of society but that does not mean we should stop paying taxes just becuase some official has an unethical behavior.

Abyss:
I would have loved a 6 voiced Abyss but looking at the pcb it would have gotten alot broader.

Sure, more CV would have been nice - like outs for the LFOs.

I wonder how hard it would be to do some circuit-bending on this thing. I am allready looking at doing a normalized pre-out before the reverb on my Nyx, that is really the only thing I miss on that thing.
And a detune on the first sub-osc for the Hades.
Yup, it is great that they are through-hole handbuilt instruments, makes it easier to 'get in there'
Old 24th March 2017
  #412
Lives for gear
 
oldgearguy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLocksley View Post
Abyss:
I would have loved a 6 voiced Abyss but looking at the pcb it would have gotten alot broader.

Sure, more CV would have been nice - like outs for the LFOs.

I wonder how hard it would be to do some circuit-bending on this thing. I am allready looking at doing a normalized pre-out before the reverb on my Nyx, that is really the only thing I miss on that thing.
And a detune on the first sub-osc for the Hades.
Yup, it is great that they are through-hole handbuilt instruments, makes it easier to 'get in there'
Probably should start a separate 'Dreadbox mods' threads, but for now I'll respond here -- I was actually looking into adding a 3-way toggle to the NYX VCOs for the 4th position of the VCO switch so that I could select sending VCO 1, VCO 2, or both directly to the VCA instead of being forced to always send both. That would give you the ability like some of the Yamaha CS-series gear to send a nice triangle wave or whatever directly tot he VCA while still filtering the other VCO. That could allow you to get a HPF sound combined with some subtle low end from the other VCO. I sent a message off to the Dreadbox guys, but haven't heard back yet.
Old 24th March 2017
  #413
Here for the gear
I Pre-ordered it from Thomann 10 days ago, 1190 euros.. i think it's a fair price
Old 24th March 2017
  #414
Deleted User 
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLocksley View Post
I shopped my synth from Synthesizer.gr both becuase of price and that I want to support greek economy that has had a rough time.
I did the same. The Youth Unemployment Rate in Greece is more than 45%, which is an EU disgrace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLocksley View Post
I care about society, tax is a way to support that. One always has to fight corruption in all layers of society but that does not mean we should stop paying taxes just becuase some official has an unethical behavior.
I agree, but people should be aware of where their taxes are going; I wish I could say that governments can be relied on to do their best for the people, but that would be naive at best. I recommend reading 'What Everyone Needs to Know About Tax' by James Hannam, just out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLocksley View Post
I am allready looking at doing a normalized pre-out before the reverb on my Nyx, that is really the only thing I miss on that thing.
And a detune on the first sub-osc for the Hades. Yup, it is great that they are through-hole handbuilt instruments, makes it easier to 'get in there'
A Dreadbox mods thread would be a good.
Old 24th March 2017
  #415
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLocksley View Post
Extra? If you live in the US you pay state tax that is put on top of the stuff you buy, it is 15% in many states.
Where I live it is 25%. Greece has 24%.
the highest state sales tax in the US is under 10%, most states are far below that, several even have 0%.
Old 24th March 2017
  #416
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubnspace View Post
the highest state sales tax in the US is under 10%, most states are far below that, several even have 0%.
Yeah especially if you buy online... sometimes it shows up on your tax return and sometimes it doesn't. It's 7.5% sales tax where I live.
Old 24th March 2017
  #417
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discopotato View Post
Yeah especially if you buy online... sometimes it shows up on your tax return and sometimes it doesn't. It's 7.5% sales tax where I live.
And imagine I pay 25%. But books and food is lower (quite a few other stuff too). But I don't have to pay for University nor hardly anything for medical aid or operations so I don't complain

In the Sonicstate video Yannis mention that he has tried to lessen the noise in the delay section. Will be interesting if those who own both the Abyss and the Erabus to make a comparison in the future.

Also hoping for some more info on what kind of control you have using it multitimbral and how to set it up. We know the filter, the 2 analog lfo's will not be part of that.

Yeah, a really cool company Dreadbox
Old 24th March 2017
  #418
Lives for gear
 
login's Avatar
The US has lower taxes, they also don't have universal healthcare, tuition free college, long paternal/maternal leave, birth control provided by the government and lots of other things european take for granted. The US healthcare is the most expensive of the world.

In my country we also have VAT and a lot of services are public, healthcare is universal but not quite good, but for a lot of people it makes a big difference. Even US seniors living here enroll in the healthcare program to get their prescriptions, especially for chronic diseases as diabetes.

I will happily pay VAT for my synths before having to open my wallet everytime I am ill.
Old 24th March 2017
  #419
Lives for gear
 
Bach666's Avatar
 

The end of May can't come soon enough. I'm eagerly waiting in line as well.
Old 5th April 2017
  #420
Deleted User 
Guest
Nothing to do with Abyss except, for future reference, this is how to introduce a synth. Take us through the features, a representative selection of sounds, then show the back panel. Hardly rocket science, yet Dreadbox failed to do that for either Nyx or Abyss.

Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump