The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Synths with built in Midi-->CV converters, Novation Super Bass Station and ...?
Old 9th February 2007
  #1
Lives for gear
 
sleepwalker's Avatar
 

Synths with built in Midi-->CV converters, Novation Super Bass Station and ...?

So I've been thinking about midi-ing my Prophet 5 and ARP 2600, but hadn't purchased a converter yet.

I ended up buying a Novation Super Bass Station for a killer price today($140). Awesome. It comes with a Midi-->CV converter. The converter is only mono so I'm using it with the ARP right now. Having a blast sending sequences to it. Don't think I'm able to send the arpeggiator out via CV. Bummer.

Anyone know of other synths with this capability? I'd love one that could send out polyphonic CV to the prophet 5. I could always buy a Kenton, but an excuse for another synth is never a bad thing.

I think the Waldorf Pulse has a Midi-->CV function. Maybe it's more common than I thought.
Old 9th February 2007
  #2
Lives for gear
 
alexstringer's Avatar
 

I think the Waldorf Pulse + does it, but double check....
Old 9th February 2007
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Cojo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalker View Post
Anyone know of other synths with this capability? I'd love one that could send out polyphonic CV to the prophet 5. I could always buy a Kenton, but an excuse for another synth is never a bad thing.
Hi.

The CV/Gate system is monophonic (one controll voltage for each note). If you use the CV/Gate input of your Pro 5 you'll only get monophonic notes. If you want polyphonic triggering you'll need to get it midi'd.

Old 9th February 2007
  #4
Lives for gear
 
sleepwalker's Avatar
 

Ahh. That's what the Bass Station's manual said, but I assumed that's because the bass Station was a mono synth. Bummer.

Makes sense though. Can only send one voltage at once. Guess I'll just use the Pro-5 as a phat mono synth with midi for the time being. hell, I was getting along find just playing the thing with my actual hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cojo View Post
Hi.

The CV/Gate system is monophonic (one controll voltage for each note). If you use the CV/Gate input of your Pro 5 you'll only get monophonic notes. If you want polyphonic triggering you'll need to get it midi'd.

Old 9th February 2007
  #5
Lives for gear
 
dlmorley's Avatar
I never got my Prophet 5 midi-fied and I'm happy with it for that! I love the synth and find that having to play it is a good thing! Stops me getting lazy and flicking through presets..
Old 9th February 2007
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Cojo's Avatar
 

Yeah, use it as a monosynth for now and start save up for a midi retrofit kit!
Old 9th February 2007
  #7
Lives for gear
 
rids's Avatar
 

Yep, the Pulse has Midi to CV. The Spectral Audio synths do. Future Retro synths do. The Macbeth M3X does (I think the others also).
Old 9th February 2007
  #8
Lives for gear
 
dlmorley's Avatar
Another synth with a CV-Gate convertor is the Deep Bass Nine, which is also a great little bass synth.
Old 9th February 2007
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Cojo's Avatar
 

...and another one is the TeeBee by Syntecno. It has actually four cv and four gates plus a din sync if I remember correct...
Old 9th February 2007
  #10
Lives for gear
 
alexstringer's Avatar
 

The Pulse + is a killer module! I almost bought it at the time...I think now i remember that the + stands for this additional Cv> Midi convertion option. The regular Pulse didn't have it.
Old 10th February 2007
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Technosaurus microcon 2 can do midi to cv. I'm not sure if they are still making it, though.
Old 10th February 2007
  #12
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstringer View Post
The Pulse + is a killer module! I almost bought it at the time...I think now i remember that the + stands for this additional Cv> Midi convertion option. The regular Pulse didn't have it.
Yes it is, I love mine. Not using the CV-Midi yet, but will be after I buy an OB-XA

Also has an audio input for the analog filter, which the original pulse does not.
Old 10th February 2007
  #13
Lives for gear
 
jupiter8's Avatar
 

The Oberheim Xpander has six channels Midi to CV.
Old 10th February 2007
  #14
Lives for gear
 
dlmorley's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter8 View Post
The Oberheim Xpander has six channels Midi to CV.
Actually it does CV -> Midi conversion which I find rather cool as you can run an analogue sequencer into it and record the sequences in your main sequencer, but they are CV-Gate inputs not outputs
Old 11th February 2007
  #15
Lives for gear
 
jupiter8's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
Actually it does CV -> Midi conversion which I find rather cool as you can run an analogue sequencer into it and record the sequences in your main sequencer, but they are CV-Gate inputs not outputs
Funny that. I read on several places that it did midi->CV. And some that it has CV-midi. But you have an Xpander don't you,so i can't really argue with you on that one,can i?

Well,i learned something today too and that is always a good thing. heh
Old 11th February 2007
  #16
Lives for gear
 
dlmorley's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter8 View Post
Funny that. I read on several places that it did midi->CV. And some that it has CV-midi. But you have an Xpander don't you,so i can't really argue with you on that one,can i?

Well,i learned something today too and that is always a good thing. heh
Hi
yep, the CV Gate connectors are CV/Gate in. No CV/Gate out unless I am missing something...

I love the CV Gate part of the Xpander. You can run say 4 voices with midi and have 2 separate voices run with CV-Gate for example or any combination of the 6 voices. This is something the Matrix 12 lacks in my opinion.
Old 16th February 2007
  #17
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
Hi
yep, the CV Gate connectors are CV/Gate in. No CV/Gate out unless I am missing something...
you're not missing anything. i've seen some bad information online about this synth including this from vintagesynth.com:

"You'll also find six additional individual outputs and an external audio input which can be routed through the filter. Another very useful feature is its MIDI-CV/gate conversion capabilities that the Xpander offers for external control of other synths. It can convert 8 voices of these control signals, which output standard 1V/8va CV and positive gating."

1. no mention of the oddernmart mod so it sounds like they're claiming an audio input was factory.
2. MIDI-CV/gate is actually CV/gate-MIDI conversion (CV/gate inputs as you stated).
3. the "8 voices" must be a typo.

(btw-i've contacted them to correct.)
Old 16th February 2007
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Tibbon's Avatar
Go with the Kenton, or Doepfer also makes a unit that does the same.
Old 30th June 2013
  #19
Gear Head
 

The Arturia Minibrute has Pitch and Gate CV out. I use it to drive my Modular. It's about the same price as a Kenton, and a surprisingly versatile little synth too.
Old 2nd April 2015
  #20
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abelovesfun View Post
The Arturia Minibrute has Pitch and Gate CV out. I use it to drive my Modular. It's about the same price as a Kenton, and a surprisingly versatile little synth too.
Do you know what gate voltage the MiniBrute produces? I'd like to control a synth that needs 10V but am unsure if the MiniBrute can do that.
Cheers!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump