The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Arturia
Old 21st November 2016 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy View Post
And I can imagine the karpers lining up with the usual "It doesn't sound like the originals, not even close." To which I will say, how do you know?
Well, by listening. But seriously, I somewhat agree with you in that I do think the Arturia emulations sound like the originals, but "like" is in the ear of the beholder. There are already new emulations coming out like Legend that trounce Mini V in terms of sonic quality and closeness of emulation. I don't have to have a Minimoog around to compare. It's pretty obvious. I can compare the SEM filter in my Boomstar SEM and the difference is clear as day. Now, I know the Boomstar SEM is not an Oberheim SEM, so I'm not really listening for differences in character as much as I'm listening to differences in quality. Same with my Prophet 6 vs Prophet V. You might cry, "confirmation bias" but I don't feel the same way about RePro-1, or even Diva. I think both of them get a lot closer to the basic vibe of analog synths a lot better than any of the Arturia emulations including the newer ones and the revamped Mini V.

I do also agree with you on the Memorymoon CS80 emulation. To me it never seemed to sound so much better than CS80 that I felt it was worth switching to. I'm with you, I'll never buy a CS-80, so CS-80 V it is, for me. That doesn't stop me from wishing they'd do a bit better all around on it. It also doesn't stop me from using it when it makes sense to use it. The fact that it doesn't have poly pressure as a mod source is kind of stupid though, don't you think?

I do still think someone should be fired for the way they did their UI updates though. Doing things like having a different graphic for each key is just stupid. I don't care that it looks cool that not all the keys line up. You're taking an awful lot of my RAM for bitmap resources that have zero to do with usability, clarity or sound quality. Quit it.
Old 21st November 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
"like" is in the ear of the beholder.
"How close is close enough" is a decision for each user to make.

Obviously if you are competing with Vangellis or showcasing your syntheiszer close is going to have to be very close.

On the opposite spectrum if you did tracks for Ke$ha, any Arturia emulation could be overkill. Maybe just buy Nexus and call it a day.

I think most users are somewhere between Vangellis and Ke$sha.

I also think there is a user base who are not musicians who just enjoy owning synths, experimenting, and comparing them. Theres nothing wrong with that either.

Personally I like the ME80 much more than the CS-80v3. But I might be biased based on the fact that the original Arturia CS-80 GUI was a nightmare on a 21 inch screen, so I got more familiar and used to the ME-80. Most likely my biases are based on the type of sounds for the CS-80. Like Synthguy, I have never owned the real thing, so maybe the Arturia is closer, but I still like the sound of the ME80 better based on what I do. Honestly I could make both work at the end of the day.
Old 29th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well, I went for the upgrade to 5 - very nice stuff, all of it.

I've also got Komplete and AAS's Modelling collection. I use a couple from each of those,
but spend much more time with the Arturia stuff. They really hit the sweet spot for me.
Old 29th November 2016 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by felis View Post
Well, I went for the upgrade to 5 - very nice stuff, all of it.

I've also got Komplete and AAS's Modelling collection. I use a couple from each of those,
but spend much more time with the Arturia stuff. They really hit the sweet spot for me.
Agreed, very good upgrade. That reminds me I need to to install the latest patch for the synths.
Old 29th November 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake100 View Post
A month or so back the Arturia guy said in an interview about the drum brute that they are doing more instruments in this range.
great, for the love of god, Arturia do a jupiter 6 vst and help my insane credit card bill, I really don't want to drop 4.5kAUD on a jupiter 6..... but may have to in the end if the jp6 never ,ever, never, never, ever, appears.
Old 16th May 2018 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
We will release a preset converter very soon (hopefully before the end of the month). So you will be able to import preset from the Jupiter-8 V2 into Jup-8 V3.

The Orignal preset which are in the V3 are the same than the one in the V2. If they are not matching with the original Jupiter 8 patches that's a big problem. Thank you for reporting it, we will investigate this.
Dude I hope you're still with Arturia bec. it's been a while since someone posted to this Thread but the questions here seem to me still valid.

The factory patches you have in your Jup-8V software are not actually the factory patches. Take a listen to the real factory patches here: Jupiter-8

Also V2 and V3 so-called Arturia factory patches are same however they are not real factory patches. On Synthania's page you can find the scans of original patch sheets as well.

Here is a user made patches of the real factory patches.

https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?...14193#msg14193

I don't find them to sound very similar to the original but I'm sure Arturia will manage to implement the patches from the patch sheets in a better way.
Also, this patch file is in .j8e v2 format and I can not convert it to the jupx v3 format. Did Arturia ever release that converter because I can not find it anywhere.
Old 17th May 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Thank you for pointing this again. We will investigate this and will do our best to fix it if this is actually an error on our side.

Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ToR View Post
Dude I hope you're still with Arturia bec. it's been a while since someone posted to this Thread but the questions here seem to me still valid.

The factory patches you have in your Jup-8V software are not actually the factory patches. Take a listen to the real factory patches here: Jupiter-8

Also V2 and V3 so-called Arturia factory patches are same however they are not real factory patches. On Synthania's page you can find the scans of original patch sheets as well.

Here is a user made patches of the real factory patches.

https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?...14193#msg14193

I don't find them to sound very similar to the original but I'm sure Arturia will manage to implement the patches from the patch sheets in a better way.
Also, this patch file is in .j8e v2 format and I can not convert it to the jupx v3 format. Did Arturia ever release that converter because I can not find it anywhere.
Old 21st May 2018 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
We will investigate this and will do our best to fix it if this is actually an error on our side.
Well, I would really appreciate if you can share the result of that investigation since I would really like to know which patches are the original Jupiter-8 patches.
Synthmania's or Arturia's bank is the original?
Because obviously one of them is not the original.

In any case, I really can not see why Arturia would not still make Synthmania's patches available. Can't you just tell someone in the company to prepare it? I'm sure it won't take longer than a day or two days at most.

also, for the time being, could you please have someone convert that user-made bank/project I provided above to the new format? The converter software cannot find it.

thnx.
Old 22nd May 2018 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:

We will investigate this
Any development on that investigation?
It's been 5 days since your last message. Will it take two years?
I would really appreciate if you can give an update on that patch issue.

Or, why don't you just say that Arturia does not care about stuff like that because it definitely seems that way?
I mean it's already been two years since this issue was talked before.

Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I completely understand your frustration and I am very sorry about that but we definitely can not stop everything we are currently working on to investigate this.
I should have told that it might take some time before we come to a conclusion.

In the meantime, here is a link to the bank converted to the new format.
πŸ“ Reply