The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Moog Minimoog D
Old 16th July 2016
Gear Maniac

Im in the same boat. I have a pre order put in but not the first round so I cant stand the wait and I cannot wait for demos to start showing up...

Whoever has one in hand please dont be selfish and put up a good long 30 minute sound demo for us all with special attention to all the smooth bass settings you can....
Old 17th July 2016
Gear Nut

Here's something else to order and wait for while waiting. Chances are you'll get this poster first:
https://ask.audio/articles/this-post...og-synthesiser
Old 17th July 2016
Gear Nut

Did a quick demo today, it's a bit all over the place and of course didn't remember to get to everything. Wanted to focus on the raw sound.

Old 17th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modulargrey View Post
Did a quick demo today, it's a bit all over the place and of course didn't remember to get to everything. Wanted to focus on raw sound.

That sounds really great! Thanks for posting! Really excited to get mine next week. That first batch of demos which came out made me really nervous, but what I'm hearing now is very reassuring
Old 17th July 2016
Lives for gear

People will buy anything based on hype. I don't hear anything with that Moog that sounds special. It's another mono analog synth. Just like the Lil Phatty, Sub Phatty, Sub 37, Mother 32... they all sound similar and honestly the Mother 32 sounds the best to me - and it happens to be the cheapest one. ...whatever...
Old 17th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Other Guy View Post
People will buy anything based on hype. I don't hear anything with that Moog that sounds special. It's another mono analog synth. Just like the Lil Phatty, Sub Phatty, Sub 37, Mother 32... they all sound similar and honestly the Mother 32 sounds the best to me - and it happens to be the cheapest one. ...whatever...
Just because you can't tell the difference doesn't mean that there aren't others who can. It comes with time/experience. There's a pretty substantial difference between what I'm hearing in this demo and what I hear coming out of my Voyager, mainly in regards to how there's a lot of soft and pleasant distortion coming from the Model D. Congrats on saving yourself a few thousand dollars, for now
Old 17th July 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Man, who pooped in your cornflakes? Seriously though, glad you had a nice word about the Mother, 'cause it is a cool little synth, but take your Mini negativity elsewhere as we've grown quite tired of it.

K? Thanks.
Old 17th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Did a quick demo today, it's a bit all over the place and of course didn't remember to get to everything. Wanted to focus on raw sound.
Thanks for taking the time and trouble to post up the demo. I think you did an excellent job covering a lot of the characteristics of the new Mini.

Quote:
As someone who has a lot of different monos I beg to differ. Also, the idea that "people" will drop over $3K based purely on hype is absolute nonsense. Most of the reason people wanted to hear demos is specifically so they could make a judgement completely separate from the hype that is inevitable with the re-release of such an iconic synth. We have just been given a demo that runs through quite a lot of ground so there can be some reasonable discussion absent hype. Most of us have either heard or used the original Mini so there is a good reason there was so much discussion about it.
Old 17th July 2016
The new MiniMoog sounds grand! Very unique sounds that the Voyager is not able to achieve! I love my Voyager but that Mini, Wow!
Old 17th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpsiegel View Post
Thanks for taking the time and trouble to post up the demo. I think you did an excellent job covering a lot of the characteristics of the new Mini.

As someone who has a lot of different monos I beg to differ. Also, the idea that "people" will drop over $3K based purely on hype is absolute nonsense. Most of the reason people wanted to hear demos is specifically so they could make a judgement completely separate from the hype that is inevitable with the re-release of such an iconic synth. We have just been given a demo that runs through quite a lot of ground so there can be some reasonable discussion absent hype. Most of us have either heard or used the original Mini so there is a good reason there was so much discussion about it.
People here don't want objectivity, they want confirmation. I have a ton of analog synths, including the Pro 1, which I do think sounds phenomenal; from videos though, I never found the Minimoog sound that interesting.

Not talking sh*t, just don't see it. I really don't. And it's not about experience, number of years, etc. I have plenty experience with analogs. If you guys want to drop $3k on a simple mono synth, it's your money, not mine.
Old 17th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
People here don't want objectivity, they want confirmation. I have a ton of analog synths, including the Pro 1, which I do think sounds phenomenal; from videos though, I never found the Minimoog sound that interesting.

Not talking sh*t, just don't see it. I really don't. And it's not about experience, number of years, etc. I have plenty experience with analogs. If you guys want to drop $3k on a simple mono synth, it's your money, not mine.
People aren't wondering if you think it sounds interesting. The people interested already know they like the sound of a minimoog. What they are wondering is how close the reissue comes to the original.
Old 17th July 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
I don't own a moog and not really a fan boy but I've played on one recently as well as the units u mentioned and I'm sorry I think your opinion while you're entitled to it is way off the ranch I totally disagree. The unit looks and sounds beautiful
Old 17th July 2016
tok
Gear Addict

nobody complains about people buying a vintage minimoog for 5 - 10 grand or calls them foolish

now you can have one for 3500 if you like the sound

fair enough

i suppose we'll find out if the model d sound is overrated at worst

but we will be getting model d
Old 17th July 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
The new MiniMoog sounds grand! Very unique sounds that the Voyager is not able to achieve! I love my Voyager but that Mini, Wow!
my sentiments exactly. Thanks for the demo I've been looking forward to that all day!
Old 17th July 2016
Lives for gear

Hi Modulargrey,

Thanks for the cool Mini-Moog D video.

It surely sounds FAAAAT & Lovely (Love those Moog Filters)

I can't wait to get my Mini-Moog D, maybe next week, or the week after.

It will be the Big-Brother of My good old, slick looking Moog Little Phatty Stage II , which sounds great !

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Old 17th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Did a quick demo today, it's a bit all over the place and of course didn't remember to get to everything. Wanted to focus on the raw sound.

Thanks for putting that together!
Old 17th July 2016
Gear Nut

Glad you guys liked it
Old 17th July 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Glad you guys liked it
Yep. Thanks a bunch!
Old 17th July 2016
Gear Maniac

Thanks!
Old 17th July 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:

First off thank you very much for taking the time to demo this for us all. I haven't ever heard a vintage model d before. What is your take on it? What do you think about the sound and the build quality?
Old 17th July 2016
Gear Guru

Somebody just got taken to the cleaner!
Old 17th July 2016
Gear Addict

So far from that video it does not have that"vintage" sound of a real Minimoog. I have a Korg MS 20 kit and it does not sound at all like the real thing either but still very nice.
I just think it's impossible to get the sound of an old Minimoog that's been sitting around for 40 years or so. There's a presence you experience from the real thing Im just not hearing yet form that video. I hope to hear more videos.
Old 17th July 2016
Gear Guru

I don't necessarily hear anything too special, nor do I need a monosynth, pretty sure 99% of the sounds it can make can be made with what I already have..

now having said that, I do want one well built, beautiful looking instrument that I can flick on by it's self to play on a whim without powering up the whole power plant and all the modular cases etc...tracks will be written with it, and it will be passed on to younger members to use without ever really depreciating in value..

So all in all it's probably worth it for those reasons..
Old 17th July 2016
Quote:

Thanks for doing this.

I suspect we're going to here all sorts of new styles of demos now that the Minimoog is more available.

I admit, it was super weird to hear the minimoog sequences, and not some jazz or prog lead.

They need to make that cabinet/body in cherry or walnut. It would look really sweet.

Or check out this cocobolo

#neversatisfied

Pete
Old 17th July 2016
Lives for gear

Faithfully replicating the original Model D is a tall order!
Old 17th July 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
Thanks for doing this.

I suspect we're going to here all sorts of new styles of demos now that the Minimoog is more available.

I admit, it was super weird to hear the minimoog sequences, and not some jazz or prog lead.

They need to make that cabinet/body in cherry or walnut. It would look really sweet.

Or check out this cocobolo

#neversatisfied

Pete
Is that Model D in cocobolo yours? Do you know anything about it or how and who made it? Thanks!
Old 17th July 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by mctoad View Post
Is that Model D in cocobolo yours? Do you know anything about it or how and who made it? Thanks!
I wish.

Synthwood used to make custom synth bodies from nice wood. He disappeared (gave up? died? sick?), though. He stopped answering mail and didn't update the site. Unfortunately, we have only photos.

Custom Synthesizer Woodworking

If he decided to give up, plans or diagrams or something would save me a ton of time/measuring with my Mono/Poly and Polysix.

I don't have a Model D. Maybe some day.

Pete
Old 17th July 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctoad View Post
This may or may not be of any help but my tech has a guy back in the u.k. that builds new and refurbished old cases for minimoogs he builds them in the darker and lighter wood. Not sure about the colored mod wheels though. My case was in rough shape so I've got a brand new case on it and while it may not be original, it looks darned good!
Old 17th July 2016
Gear Guru

@ Modulargrey thanks for taking time to do that, they are some obese oscillators and there's a superb sound in that machine, you should be very happy
Old 17th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

Totally agree. I think it sounds great. It's just very simple and limited, and unless you are playing prog rock solos it's not very useful.
📝 Reply