The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Talk me out of the JDXI
Old 14th May 2016
Talk me out of the JDXI

I am in love with the Supernatural portion of this synth. It sounds fantastic to me. The keys are small, I know. I have plenty of other gear so the drums and Analog portion are just a bonus in my particular case. Am I insane? My plan is use the synth portion as a sound module basically to be sequenced from my MV8000.
Old 14th May 2016
Lives for gear

It sounds class but unfortunately the lack of a knob-per-function Interface means lots of menu diving. This wouldn't be so bad if it had a data entry knob but no, you have to use those stupid plus and minus buttons to change the parameter values by increments of 1 or 10. A massive pain.
Old 14th May 2016
Lives for gear

buy one theyre great. and they are so cheap.
Old 14th May 2016
Here for the gear
Using it as a module is missing the strength of the JD-Xi. It is basically a drum machine, analogue monosynth, digital polysynth and step sequencer in one small unit you can sit on your lap. I have never found anything so good for creativity, everytime I turn it on I produce loads of tunes and ideas.
Old 14th May 2016
I don't need another drum machine! I have enough lol. I am not interested in the drums at all honestly. The analog mono synth is just the icing on the cake for me honestly. I just love the integra sounds and am not buying the new jupiter or integra to get them.
Old 14th May 2016
Here for the gear
Then get the FA-06. The value for money is amazing compared to the integra. Staggering number of sounds.
Old 14th May 2016
Lives for gear
Don't buy it, get a second hand FA 06 or even a Jupiter 50, but don;t ever expect fast editing on these things... all a pain. but they do have a nice sound...
Old 14th May 2016
Gear Guru

personally I would prefer to spend the extra time, effort and patience and save up for the big brother..
Old 14th May 2016
I really love my JD-Xi, but it seems to me that you're looking to buy its weakness rather than its strengths. The sounds are great, absolutely, but there's only a few dozen of the type you seem to want, and you're not going to like them all. Editing capabilities are powerful, but a pain, as others have highlighted. If you're really not interested in the drums, the sequencer and the overall combo of its parts, I think you're going to find much better options out there.

OTOH, a glance at eBay shows that you can get them used in the $325-400 range. If you're just buying it as a sound module and happy with most of those sounds "as-is", that may not be a bad deal for you. After all, with the 2 digital parts, you would be getting 2 tracks of SN sounds at a time.
Old 14th May 2016
Lives for gear

I really like what I hear from the JDXI too, is there a decent editor available for it?
Old 14th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
personally I would prefer to spend the extra time, effort and patience and save up for the big brother..
Word. You'll want a JD-XA at some point.
Old 14th May 2016
Gear Guru

I think you'd be better off with a SonicCell or other Roland module... XV5050 is nice. If you don't mind using software, Omnisphere 2 or Falcon.
Old 14th May 2016
Lives for gear

One word. Fingerprints!!!!
Old 14th May 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTed View Post
I really like what I hear from the JDXI too, is there a decent editor available for it?
I made a pretty decent iPad editor for it using the TB MidiStuff app.

Here's a link to a thread about it in another forum:

Roland Clan Forums • View topic - JD-Xi TB MIDI Stuff iPad Editor

I also posted about it in the JD-Xi forum, here, but it's buried under hundreds of posts.
Old 14th May 2016
The JD-XI is a nice little synth. Having had a JD-XA, I would tell you to get that one instead. Having said that the Roland supernatural synth engine is pretty impressive. I'm guessing by now, most of the bugs have been flushed out compared to when both synths were released.

Watching the videos that are now makes me wish I would have kept mine.

As much as I like my soft synths I don't believe they can produce the same supernatural sounds that Roland is famous for.
Old 14th May 2016
If I spend more than $2k on a synth, its not going to be 4 analog voices.
Old 14th May 2016
Gear Addict

The usual synthesizer parameters, even something as simple as ADSR, involves menu-diving to edit with the JDXI. I'd say don't get it. It sounds awesome, particularly those two digital synths, but if you're looking to do anything in real time more than a filter sweep you gonna be wayyyy disappointed. Just my 2 cents as an owner. Wonderful machine that was absolulety crippled by a really dumb control surface. If it had half of what the JDXA's panel had going on it would be incredible. Side note: great sequencer and drum section
Old 14th May 2016
Lives for gear

just get an intengra 7 which is infinitely better
Old 15th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRAZZ View Post
Old 15th May 2016
meh. I guess I will just get a Jx3p or a Juno 6/60. Whichever I can find.
Old 15th May 2016
Lives for gear

I might be weird but I like mine for the vocoder/voice effects.
Old 15th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloturner View Post
If I spend more than $2k on a synth, its not going to be 4 analog voices.
Well, fortunately, the XA is way more than that, with notably its 64 voices/4 parts of that Supernatural stuff you've fallen in love with, among other things

And in the US it's currently going for $2K, and sometimes less secondhand. Thought I'd mention, although I don't think you're looking for a sweet-sounding hands-on multitimbral power-synth right now.
Old 15th May 2016
Lives for gear

I heared from a friend that has the XI that the cpu/sequener is underpowered and that if your sequenes are busy (with controller data and stuff) navigating the interface screws with timing....
Seems like the MC-303 drama has returned.
Old 15th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
I heared from a friend that has the XI that the cpu/sequener is underpowered and that if your sequenes are busy (with controller data and stuff) navigating the interface screws with timing....
Can anyone confirm this?
Old 15th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexo View Post
Can anyone confirm this?
Yeah, would like to know from other ppl as well.
Old 15th May 2016
Personally, I thought the JD-Xi sounded fantastic. Editing sounds was easy, the ADSR as the single knob was useful 80% of the time (rarely I felt I needed to go into the menu to change the specific ADSR settings). If they made a way to mute drum sounds with a single button versus using the Amp envelope, I would have kept this as my main brains in a groovebox setup. The only other negative was the lack of swing, which is a big one. If you want to use this as a sound module, I think it's a great idea, this way you have access to the sounds, and you can add the ability to have swing and mute individual drum sounds. The drum sounds were great, the supernatural sounds were great, the analogue sound was "meh" but using the compressor and various other effects in the chain you could get it to be useful.

This track isn't mine, but shows what great sounds can be had on the JD-Xi

Old 15th May 2016
Honestly I still think it sounds great, but I am thinking I am going to do exactly as others have said and only like a couple of sounds total and end up selling it after a short time. The supernatural pads are what grabbed me. The drums do sound good, but I have enough drum in my setup currently. My plan now is to get a Jx3p with a pg200 and some sort of Rack Roland. I was not talking bad about the XA, it's just way more synth that I need or want. I just need a poly with some good pads is all. I have everything else sorted. Well I don't NEED, it would just be real nice.
Old 15th May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
Coming up on a year with my Xi and I've never seen this. It's possible that I'm not pushing the sequences as far as your friend did. But I've definitely used all the features, and generally use the Xi as the clock and edit tones on the fly. And presets and add-ons have some complex multitrack sequences with motion effects, so I think if it was a big problem, it would be more obvious.
Old 15th May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRAZZ View Post
I got the white one. No smudges and the labels are much easier to read.

My quick pros/cons list:

PROS:
- Great synth sounds
- Full library of classic Roland drum machine samples
- Very portable

CONS:
- Limited sound set & editing
- Global effects only
- Battery operation would be nice

Look - it is what it is and for the price it's a hell of an instrument. As long as you know what it does and doesn't do going in, you should be a happy camper.
Old 15th May 2016
So I got it and have to say that it sounds fantastic. The 2 Supernatural synths are really great sounding. The don't sound like a toy for sure. Regarding getting it to glitch while in pattern mode, yeap. It will do it if you are running a lot of Arps on both synths. There has to be a way to filter all the data so that does not happen. But with that being said, It was very hard for me to get it to glitch. I had to record 4 takes on the same synth track all with arps running and knob movements in order to get it to glitch. I still want to get a JX, but this will hold me over until then.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search