The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Jack Swing synths
Old 6th February 2007
Here for the gear

New Jack Swing synths

Can anyone help me identitfy what synth was used for these New Jack Swing tracks from back in the 80's? I'm assuming it's the same in both songs. Just pay attention to the orchestra hits, piano, and I'm assuming the synth-string back-drop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vD-_pTlELI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhV0uS55ADA

Thanks
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Could be a number of synths Roland Jupiter series, Prophet 5 maybe, even Oberheim

here is another badass tune from them 80's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IucfxP-XJ0
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

The hits on the jeff redd tune sound like an ensoniq mirage believe it or not.
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Check this song (not so much the drummer) Chuckii Booker remember him...lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xljb...elated&search=

And here are some Tritons in action....lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZRiacQSUjQ

Don't get me started bro!
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Head

It's not the same for all sounds.

Orchestral stabs -- sounds like a Synclavier on the Johnny Gill track, Ensoniq Mirage on the Jeff Redd track.

Piano -- sounds like either a CS-80, or a Yamaha electric grand on both. Not sure.

Solo trumpety sound towards end of the one track -- might even be a DX7 or TX81Z.

The rhythm in that one track reminds me a lot of that track "Poison".
Old 7th February 2007
Here for the gear

I don't hear prophet or oberheim on the first two tracks at all - more like roland d50 - it's that teddy riley/guy sound.

But the cheryl lynn encore track definitely sounds like oberheim to me
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thetrouble View Post
I don't hear prophet or oberheim on the first two tracks at all - more like roland d50 - it's that teddy riley/guy sound.

You know you're right. D70 and JV 80 were not out yet but they also have that sound.
Old 7th February 2007
Here for the gear

I thought it was Roland too. As for the orchestra hits, they're pretty distinct considering they sound different than most.

Thanks everyone.

@ Syki - I heard a rumor that along with Teddy Riley's attempt to bring back the swing with that tour (it's over now, but it featured Guy, Blackstreet, Wrecks-N-Effect, and others), Guy's coming back together to do a retro new jack album later this year. If this is true I will lose all bowel control and poop myself in excitement.
Old 8th February 2007
Here for the gear

Do any of you know where the strings come from? That's what I'm particularly trying to find out.
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Maniac

I know that Teddy Riley was a user of the Casio Proffesional line. I believe he used the FZ-1 and FZ-10 samplers and I also believe that many of those records used the CZ and RZ Series synths...
Old 24th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thetrouble View Post

By then the 2nd half of the 80s, the sound had degraded to tinkly digital crap recorded dry save for gated snares. No classic synths at all, something digital and/or one of the samplers of the day like Casio or Mirage, usually using stock unmodified sounds over and over again such as the orchestra hits.

Cheryl Lynn track was recorded a few years earlier around '83-84 before the sound changed, by Jam & Lewis during the analog heyday before samplers took over with canned sounds. Oberheim OB-8, DMX drums & bass guitar; no canned samples.
Old 27th March 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk View Post
It's not the same for all sounds.

Orchestral stabs -- sounds like a Synclavier on the Johnny Gill track, Ensoniq Mirage on the Jeff Redd track.

Piano -- sounds like either a CS-80, or a Yamaha electric grand on both. Not sure.

Solo trumpety sound towards end of the one track -- might even be a DX7 or TX81Z.

The rhythm in that one track reminds me a lot of that track "Poison".
Almost definately not a Yanaha electric grand, sounds too thin. Sounds much more like a CS-80 if anything, not a CP-70. It might also be that electric hammer-action piano Ensoniq made for a few years.

I think you're dead on with the Mirage. I played with one for months while working at a music store part time. It has the sound.
Old 27th March 2007
Here for the gear

From Teddy's own mouth, he used a multitude of things. This is a rundown of the equipment he's mentioned he uses in an interview back in 1992:
  • New England Digital Synclavier
  • Fairlight (Michael Jackson, Kool Mo Dee)
  • EMU Proteus 1 and 2
  • Ensoniq VFX (which is probably what he used for those hits)
  • Akai MPC-60
  • Ho-hner Clavinet
  • Roland D50, D70, and JD800
  • Yamaha DX7 (used on Keith Sweat)
  • Roloand TR-808
  • Alesis drum machine (Bobby Brown's My Perogative)
Now go back, listen to his music. You can then hear a lot of this stuff.

God bless.
Old 3rd April 2013
Lives for gear

Anyone know the drum machine on Poison and the choir sound?
Old 3rd April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennaOkoye View Post
Anyone know the drum machine on Poison and the choir sound?
I thought there was a thread on this already???
Old 25th November 2018
Here for the gear

I knew someone who was working closely with teddy riley back in the day he had about 4 roland d 50 And a few korg M1 akai s900 emu sp 12 turbo
And a Macintosh SE for sequencing
Old 26th November 2018
Lives for gear

I was at the Red Bull Music Academy lecture in NYC a few years ago, I can’t remember what he said about gear but might be worth watching on YouTube.
Old 26th November 2018
Terry Riley: lots of Roland D-50, Korg M1, Yamaha DX-100, Yamaha DX7, Roland D-70, and an Akai sampler.
Babyface and LA Reid: D-50, DX7, Casio CZ-101 (eg Bobby Brown ‘Girlfriend’ and Pebbles ‘Mercedes Boy’ basslines), Ensoniq Mirage, Akai MPC-60, M1, JX-10, Minimoog (basslines), Roland Juno-106.
Everyone else: D-50, DX7, M1, Yamaha TX-81z, Proteus-1, Emax II, Roland SC-55 (on tight budgeted stuff), Roland S-50, Akai S-612, Casio FZ-1, CZ-101, Casio CZ-3000, DSS-1, DW-8000.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search