The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Any justification for waldorf blofeld in this day and age?
Old 9th April 2016
  #1
Lives for gear
Any justification for waldorf blofeld in this day and age?

Got a chance to get a new one for $375, which is pretty low.
I already have a handful of great analog synths (grp a4, omega 8, perfourmer mkii), and the nord lead 4r for the more digital side. Got plenty of vst's such as komplete, omnisphere 2, xfer serum).
My thoughts are this will go deeper into covering digital, fm, wavetables etc, and even though it has a menu system - it's more hands on than a screen and mouse.
Question is - is its sound dated? Does it have issues (heard something about bugs, problematic encoders, dodgy audio out). Are these true? Is it redundant in my setup? Is it worth $375? Seems almost like the price of a vst as it is.
Old 9th April 2016
  #2
Gear Addict
 
Snorktop's Avatar
 

Yes.
Old 9th April 2016
  #3
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorktop View Post
Yes.
Care to elaborate?
Old 9th April 2016
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Download the 30 day demo.
Waldorf Largo VST Plug In
Old 9th April 2016
  #5
Lives for gear
 
synthguy's Avatar
That's a tough call. Considering that laundry list of gear and softies, you have a lot of bases covered. I think I would still be able to dig up some textures with those Waldorf wavetables that can't be done otherwise.

One thing is that you could get it, and if it doesn't gel with you, you could always flip it for about what you paid for it.
Old 9th April 2016
  #6
Lives for gear
 

I got a waldorf blofeld a few months ago. It's a great instrument, very cool sounds. It does offer something I haven't found in VSTs.

I think one of the main advantages of external digital synths, besides hands-on manipulation of controls, is being able to route them through all sorts of external gear (analog and digital) to get really cool sounds.
Old 9th April 2016
  #7
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Other Guy View Post
I got a waldorf blofeld a few months ago. It's a great instrument, very cool sounds. It does offer something I haven't found in VSTs.

I think one of the main advantages of external digital synths, besides hands-on manipulation of controls, is being able to route them through all sorts of external gear (analog and digital) to get really cool sounds.
Did you experience any of the bugs i mentioned (that i heard)?
Old 9th April 2016
  #8
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
Did you experience any of the bugs i mentioned (that i heard)?
The only thing I experienced was noisy outputs when the USB cable is engaged. Some USB cables, in some configurations, caused the outputs to get noisy. If just using the midi cables, there is no issue.
Old 9th April 2016
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Westlaker's Avatar
$375 seems like a no-brainer -- if only to give it a try. As others have said, you could easily flip it for little or no loss (and, with some luck, a little profit). Extremely powerful and flexible, and there is definitely a Waldorf sound that's nice to have in the arsenal.

But you MUST make sure the encoders are functioning properly. Will you have a chance to try it out? If so, definitely put all the encoders through their paces. If there's any jitter or strange behavior, you should walk away. The problem will only get worse.

EDIT: as others have posted, the new OS (1.22) fixes the encoders problem. Kindly disregard!

Last edited by Westlaker; 12th April 2016 at 04:16 AM..
Old 9th April 2016
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Coorec's Avatar
I'd say you dont have a use for it unless you activate the sample expansion and put some samples of your own as additional waveform-material into it.
Then and only then it can do sounds that you cant do already.
Old 9th April 2016
  #11
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by CfNorENa View Post
$375 seems like a no-brainer -- if only to give it a try. As others have said, you could easily flip it for little or no loss (and, with some luck, a little profit). Extremely powerful and flexible, and there is definitely a Waldorf sound that's nice to have in the arsenal.

But you MUST make sure the encoders are functioning properly. Will you have a chance to try it out? If so, definitely put all the encoders through their paces. If there's any jitter or strange behavior, you should walk away. The problem will only get worse.
Well, i'm talking about new, from the store, packed in a box. I'm buying from perfect circuit audio, so i'm hoping it'll be fine. Already got the analog rytm from them and no problems so far.
Old 9th April 2016
  #12
Trust your ears and buy it.
Old 9th April 2016
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Rogue Ai's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
I'd say you dont have a use for it unless you activate the sample expansion and put some samples of your own as additional waveform-material into it.
Then and only then it can do sounds that you cant do already.
You don't need the SL to load custom wavetables... so you can add custom waveforms for free.
Old 9th April 2016
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
Care to elaborate?
Buy it, you'll be pleasantly surprised. It's not all cold and digi either if you give a teeny weeny bit of effort although the cold digi side is fantastic

Ncoders is old news, o,s sorted it. My output is fine, (kbd version) OK it's not as hot as some of my gear but then again it doesn't matter as it's connected to a double mooger pedal setup, I imagine you've got some processing power ?

Proper external tempo sync will function after may in a new o.s I am told by a friend at Waldorf
Old 9th April 2016
  #15
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
Buy it, you'll be pleasantly surprised. It's not all cold and digi either if you give a teeny weeny bit of effort although the cold digi side is fantastic

Ncoders is old news, o,s sorted it. My output is fine, OK it's not as hot as some of my gear but then again it doesn't matter as it's connected to a double mooger pedal setup, I imagine you've got some processing power ?

Proper external tempo sync will function after may in a new o.s I am told by a friend at Waldorf
Ooo, if they could just hold out one more year they could nail that bug on it's tenth anniversary.

(Get Largo instead)
Old 9th April 2016
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Eric J's Avatar
IDK, I wanted to like it. I just cant justify it over the plugin version.
Old 10th April 2016
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Coorec's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai View Post
You don't need the SL to load custom wavetables... so you can add custom waveforms for free.
I know. And we both know samples and wavetables are different things. So your answer doesnt make much sense in regards to my statement, that rompler like use would be the only increase in his sound arsenal.
Old 10th April 2016
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Rogue Ai's Avatar
You want a rompler? Get a JV/XV or any decent rompler for cheap... you want extra synth waveforms? Custom wavetables are more than enough. If I want samples I'll use my sampler that, you know, actually samples. I got the Blofeld because I wanted a wavetable synth, not for a sampler.
Old 10th April 2016
  #19
Lives for gear
 
login's Avatar
I just got one, it is the second more powerfull digital synth (after the VirusTi) and it has its own character.

The interface is quite good, even if minimal fo what it offers. It lacks DSP (you run out of voices fast if the patch is complex), the fx kind of suck and presets are bad. But if oyu like to program it it's perfect for pads, drones, fx and keys.

The only thing I really hate is that, at leastthe desktop version, has a noise in the outputs, quite low, but IMHo not acceptable for "pro" gear. Anf if you use it USB port it introduces even more noise.


By the way the blofeld is more cheaper at Thomman.de thatatthe US stores, the desktop goes for 366, new.
Old 10th April 2016
  #20
Lives for gear
 
choond's Avatar
I wanted one when Largo stalled at the 32 bit version only, but found it hard to pull the trigger , since I have a Virus Ti. Blofeld is a beautiful sounding synth though, very much a modern classic! Largo add some oscillators, polyphony and EQ, and sounds great too. (now 64 bit).
Old 10th April 2016
  #21
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Other Guy View Post
I got a waldorf blofeld a few months ago. It's a great instrument, very cool sounds. It does offer something I haven't found in VSTs.

I think one of the main advantages of external digital synths, besides hands-on manipulation of controls, is being able to route them through all sorts of external gear (analog and digital) to get really cool sounds.
Bought it yesterday from Perfect Circuit Audio. Now waiting for it to arrive.
Indeed i think of combining it with my analog gear. It could almost be the modal 002 i wanted. I can bypass the filters or have the filter wide open - and then put it into my GRP's audio in and use its analog filters and analog overdrive, or put it in the Omega or Vermona audio in and have wavetables going thru analog filters. Something which is indeed more tricky to achive with vst's.
Old 10th April 2016
  #22
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
By the way the blofeld is more cheaper at Thomman.de thatatthe US stores, the desktop goes for 366, new.
+1 I've found that with all the Waldorf stuff Streichfett included (nudge nudge wink wink ).
Old 10th April 2016
  #23
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
By the way the blofeld is more cheaper at Thomman.de thatatthe US stores, the desktop goes for 366, new.
That's in euros. I got a new one from perfectcircuitaudio for $375.
Old 10th April 2016
  #24
Lives for gear
 
login's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
That's in euros. I got a new one from perfectcircuitaudio for $375.
Nope, it is un USD Waldorf Blofeld - Thomann UK

Change the currency if you dont see it.
Old 10th April 2016
  #25
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
Nope, it is un USD Waldorf Blofeld - Thomann UK

Change the currency if you dont see it.
I just did. When i switch to dollars it says $419.53
Old 10th April 2016
  #26
Lives for gear
 
login's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
I just did. When i switch to dollars it says $419.53

Strange I get other price, maybe the one you see includes VAT?
Attached Thumbnails
Any justification for waldorf blofeld in this day and age?-blofeld-thoman.png  
Old 10th April 2016
  #27
Lives for gear
 

I think when you check out it the shopping cart sees you're not in the EU and will exclude the VAT, mine did exactly that with a recent purchase.
Old 10th April 2016
  #28
Lives for gear
Cool.
Well, whatever the price is, $360 - $370 is pretty nice for what you get. Comes close to plugin price (even lower than omnisphere, although they're not particularly comparable)
Old 10th April 2016
  #29
Lives for gear
 
choond's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
Bought it yesterday from Perfect Circuit Audio. Now waiting for it to arrive..
Congrats! Its a really great sounding synth. Black or white version?
Old 11th April 2016
  #30
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by choond View Post
Congrats! Its a really great sounding synth. Black or white version?
Black
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump