The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Any justification for waldorf blofeld in this day and age?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synphaera View Post
The Blofeld is absolutely still relevant. I posted this in the workhorse thread, but here it is again, all BLO.

https://soundcloud.com/synphaera/rem...sign-preview-i
nice
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

I wouldn’t be surprised if Waldorf is working on a Blofeld II, or some other all digital synth that’s basically a Quantum without the analog filters. Something to go up against the Hydrasynth and Argon. I think it would be a hit.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I wouldn’t be surprised if Waldorf is working on a Blofeld II, or some other all digital synth that’s basically a Quantum without the analog filters. Something to go up against the Hydrasynth and Argon. I think it would be a hit.
I would hope so

Quantum is a step up and a beauty but in reality how many can they sell? Blofeld was a very reasonably priced synth for its guts and build and I dare say has made them many more times in profit than the quantum ever will.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
I would hope so

Quantum is a step up and a beauty but in reality how many can they sell? Blofeld was a very reasonably priced synth for its guts and build and I dare say has made them many more times in profit than the quantum ever will.
Yeah. They really seemed to miss out on a segment of the market by releasing a $4500 synth with nothing new in the mid or low end.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The Blofeld kicks ass. Not sure I would want a module version myself. The Blo keys is a damn classic if you ask me. Rugged, beautiful, weird. I hate the screen, some 80's looking ****. But it's an amazing synth.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I wouldn’t be surprised if Waldorf is working on a Blofeld II, or some other all digital synth that’s basically a Quantum without the analog filters. Something to go up against the Hydrasynth
Yeah, well... at least in one area Waldorf doesn't stand a chance, and that's "how to launch a product".
In the case of Hydrasynth, suddenly, out of nowhere you are introduced to a synth that comes in two versions, everything works, you are bombarded with multiple videos, walkthroughs, sound demos, you see its functionality, you see different people try it and you can't help but get the feeling that the person who designed it thought almost about everything and didn't dare announce it until it was ready.

The Waldorf way however, is the exact opposite. You are shown a half working prototype at namm, a lot of unknown, this goes on for a couple of years, we are almost finished, sometime by the end of Q4 of the year whatever, then it's delayed, then people order it, it's delayed again, people finally get it and find out it's full of bugs and then a series of OS updates and bugfixes, some more bugs (and in the case of Blofeld - there are some bugs that never got fixed).
So from this point of view alone i wouldn't get my hopes up high about a Blofeld mk2. And even if they did - it would take a lot of time till you actually see one.

Last edited by zahush76; 1 week ago at 10:53 PM..
Old 1 week ago
R7P
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yeah. They really seemed to miss out on a segment of the market by releasing a $4500 synth with nothing new in the mid or low end.
Well they are releasing the Kyra soon even if it isn’t their own design. Supposed to be around $2K. So there’s the midrange. Now we need that Blofeld 2 with upgraded DSP for the $1K market or at least a smaller more compact matrix based Kyra.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowkast View Post
The Blofeld kicks ass. Not sure I would want a module version myself. The Blo keys is a damn classic if you ask me. Rugged, beautiful, weird. I hate the screen, some 80's looking ****. But it's an amazing synth.
Ive never owned a key version of any of them but man, there is something to be said about 'feeling' those wavetable pads on a keybed as opposed to just triggering notes from a sequencer hehe.

The only things I would ever get rid of my Blofeld or XT for are the keyboard versions heh. If I would've had the keyboard, I probably wouldn't have sold my MicroQ last weekend heh.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by R7P View Post
Well they are releasing the Kyra soon even if it isn’t their own design. Supposed to be around $2K. So there’s the midrange. Now we need that Blofeld 2 with upgraded DSP for the $1K market or at least a smaller more compact matrix based Kyra.
Oh yeah, I forgot about the Kyra. That was probably them just punting and using someone else’s design to save the work of doing it themselves. Still, $2k seems a tad high for it. I was considering it when they were projecting $1500. Also, no wavetable scanning. I think that’s pretty important on a synth like that.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
Yeah, well... at least in one area Waldorf doesn't stand a chance, and that's "how to launch a product".
No. Don said they’re awesome at it.

Here’s a way they could probably generate some cash without too much trouble. Make a Largo II that’s just Largo with the missing Blofeld keyboard features. I’d buy it in a heartbeat.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I use my black blo keys daily with rest of herd, and definitely relevant.

Have been looking for a new digital synth, preferably wavetable since recently thinning herd for major move, missed my microwave XT, but I love the Blofeld, but I also missed my yellow q, so I’d been contemplating buying a blo desktop, to have two Blofelds, until ASM Hydrasynth Desktop announced, prepaid, preordered, because it’s different, but I’m still acquiring a blo desktop next year.

Comb Filters and Notch Filters on blo will sheer years off a soul at high volumes.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Don't forget that Blofelds can be polychained with MIDI SOLUTIONS gear.

And the module sits right on top of that "dead space" on the Blokeys.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
... If I would've had the keyboard, I probably wouldn't have sold my MicroQ last weekend heh.
am i right in thinking that the Blofeld is pretty much just a slightly updated MicroQ? same features/parameters/sound pretty much, besides the sample import?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
am i right in thinking that the Blofeld is pretty much just a slightly updated MicroQ? same features/parameters/sound pretty much, besides the sample import?
Yeah that's about right. You can pretty much cover anything you can with the Micro Q in the Blofeld and then some. The Blofeld was a few years after but Im guessing it was born out of the Micro Q/Q code (I remember when they were developing it and it first came out but my memory is crap about all that stuff). Yeah the architecture is almost identical as well, the big differences are no subs on the Blofeld but you get the whole wavetable library so theres that. Man I already can't remember and I was just making patches on it a week ago before I got rid of it but there was something different about the MicroQ's envelope 3/4 compared to the Blofeld (or maybe Im thinking of the XTs extra envelope).. Didn't matter, just a slight difference.

That was pretty much the reason I sold it. I bought it when it came out and just never really used it the entire time, and anything I would do with it I can easily do with the Blofeld/Microwave XT pair, Its now funding an E-Mu I will use until the day I die (or it dies) heh. The MicroQ is still an awesome synth though. Its the little Q so its geared towards virtual analog synth stuff and the wavetables were like a bonus taste-test feature. The Blofeld is like the Microwave and the Q partied together and had a crack baby or something. It goes one step beyond and does the whole wavetable thing the Microwave does along with the VA Q stuff.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
Yeah that's about right. You can pretty much cover anything you can with the Micro Q in the Blofeld and then some. The Blofeld was a few years after but Im guessing it was born out of the Micro Q/Q code (I remember when they were developing it and it first came out but my memory is crap about all that stuff). ...
cool, thanks. that's what i thought i had remembered since its release. i had a blueface MicroQ rack for a few years when that came out that i used for pretty much everything at one point (SH-101 and ESQm in the closet, Juno-106 being used mainly as a controller). i bought it mainly for its multi-timbrality and portability for live use (i was using an ESQm before that), but never really warmed to the sound of it. probably the most complex synth that i had encountered at the time, a great education in modulation features, etc.

now that i think of it though, it must be all over much of what i recorded around that time. i think these are all MicroQ for the synths? i think they're both from 2002:

might be some Novation K-Station in there as well on the first one? trying to remember what i had set up at the time.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Wonder why they don't make a ver2. It's a mystery. They've sold bucketloads, and at the same price point an updated version would likely sell too, even now. I have the keyboard and it's my favourite keybed. I don't really mind the editing that much either. An updated version with a bigger screen, a couple more buttons to improve access, and a beefed-up VA section would be fantastic. They'd have to get rid of those encoders though. They're the worst.

2019, it's still well worth it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search