The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
CZ-101 - Yes or No?
Old 1st April 2016
Here for the gear

CZ-101 - Yes or No?

So I've been considering many synths recently, but I decided that the things that I HAD to have were poly, mini keys (or normal if its small enough), and 49 or less keys. This is because I am in a new live band and I need the portability.

I of course found the microkorg and the mininova, and I tried them out in person and I liked them but it was slightly off. The programming type and a few other things weren't exactly to my style. However I did like them and I was considering getting one of them when I found the casio cz-101. I liked the programing type better and the sounds that it made better, but my only issue is that its vintage. I'm worried that it will have problems with keys/batteries or whatever because its vintage. I do really like it though.

I was also wondering if there were any other synths besides these 3 that fit my criteria (even loosely). I really do like the korg and nova and the cz101 even more, but I am open to any suggestions as well.
Old 1st April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by nojob View Post
. I liked the programing type better and the sounds that it made better,
Do you really need more incentives than this?

For what it's worth I played live with its big brother the CZ1 for years. Although I bought a nicer unit I still have the old road dog and despite years of abject abuse the only difference between it and the pristine never played before new one is I found the VCA needed a slight calibration when I popped them both open for inspection. The old Casio’s are built like tanks. And about as pretty too

And to sum up the rest of the responses you're likely to get here....
Get the software version.
Get this other new thing that costs a kidney and a testicle plus your first born but won't last a week on the road.
And don't get anything without supersaw.

There's your options
Old 1st April 2016
Lives for gear

yes
Old 1st April 2016
Lives for gear

The software version is pretty awesome, you have to admit.

But I am still keeping my hardware CZ-1000. Have had zero problems with it in ten years or so. Solid build to be sure.

Go for it! No reason no to.
Old 1st April 2016
Lives for gear

Can't you get 3x CZ-101 for less than $500?
If you like it so much just get a couple - bring 2 to the gig in case one breaks and leave a backup at home.
When 1 breaks just get another for $100 = still have 3
This is the perfect solution especially if your band do chee-zee 80's retro
Old 1st April 2016
Lives for gear

I think the Cz 101 is pretty cool, if it's cheap and you dig it get it.
Old 1st April 2016
Lives for gear

I have a google alert for cz-101 set up and they crop up all the time in the US for <$200 Unfortunately I live in Canada. Buy one. If you don't like it sell it to me.
Old 1st April 2016
I have a CZ1 ... took it apart, put in a new battery and cleaned the keys/keybed last fall. Mine was built 7-4-86. Great synth!
Old 1st April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyshaver View Post
I have a google alert for cz-101 set up and they crop up all the time in the US for <$200 Unfortunately I live in Canada. Buy one. If you don't like it sell it to me.
I have a CZ-1000 that I'm not using at the moment if you're interested.

Bonus, I'm not too far away from you.

PM me.
Old 1st April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante View Post
The software version is pretty awesome, you have to admit.

But I am still keeping my hardware CZ-1000. Have had zero problems with it in ten years or so. Solid build to be sure.

Go for it! No reason no to.
I almost had a CZ-1000 for a good price a few years back, but the seller refunded my money because it turned out it didn't work (listed as working). I was surprised that there were actually some honest sellers on Ebay.
Old 1st April 2016
Gear Head

How difficult was it to open up the CZ ( i have a friend who's cz-1000 battery needs replacing)?
Old 1st April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by annelid View Post
How difficult was it to open up the CZ ( i have a friend who's cz-1000 battery needs replacing)?
No battery inside the CZ-1000 (and the CZ-101 as well). When the main D-cell batteries are removed you'll have about 10 minutes to put in fresh ones while the memory is retained. The Boss DR-55 drum machine uses a similar system. There's a capacitor or a supercapactitor in there to keep the memory powered.
Old 1st April 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyshaver View Post
I can only find them for $250 or more! Can you help me set this up?
Old 1st April 2016
Lives for gear

they're so cheap and fun, sound great, easy and quick to program, yes get one man!
Old 1st April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
I have a CZ-1000 that I'm not using at the moment if you're interested.

Bonus, I'm not too far away from you.

PM me.
Unfortunately I have no space for full size keyboards right now. :(
Old 1st April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojob View Post
I can only find them for $250 or more! Can you help me set this up?
Go here https://www.google.ca/alerts
and set up an alert. You may need a google id/gmail address to do so. You can set it up with whatever key words you please. I have them set up for a bunch of gear on my wish list.
Old 2nd April 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
No battery inside the CZ-1000 (and the CZ-101 as well). When the main D-cell batteries are removed you'll have about 10 minutes to put in fresh ones while the memory is retained. The Boss DR-55 drum machine uses a similar system. There's a capacitor or a supercapactitor in there to keep the memory powered.

Ahhh ok....cool. :D
Old 2nd April 2016
JDN
Lives for gear

I own a microkorg and cz-101. I don't think you'll have any issues live but would definitely say use a power supply and keep batteries in it. That being said you'll get WAY more diverse sounds from the Microkorg. There is a reason those were/are so popular. But I get it, it's subjective and maybe you're just looking for that sound.
Old 2nd April 2016
TBS
Gear Addict

I love the CZ-101
...one of my favorite synths

easy, surprising, and fun to use
Old 11th April 2016
The CZ1 is a real PITA to open. Worse to put back together, done it twice now. Lots of little screws and then those side caps. Just keep everything organized and it'll go back together with some patience. The CZ-1 takes a battery - mine is converted to accept a CR2032.
Old 26th April 2016
Here for the gear

I'll also give the CZ-101 a thumbs up. Mine has worked fine over the decades despite some occasional rough handling. The only issue is not having an internal battery to retain custom patches, but you can easily load and save them with a free SysEx program and MIDI connection.

Mike
CZounds - Casio CZ synthesizer patches inspired by 1980s synthpop
Old 28th April 2016
Lives for gear

totally yes. also, the main problem with these happen due to battery leakage. we have one in our inventory with a new display thats backlit. i highly recommend installing a backlit display cause the original cant be seen in the dark.
mini
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

A BOUTIQUE CZ 101 would be nice , I would like 4 of them , are there any synths today with Phase Distortion?

Last edited by LIFEPASS4; 1 week ago at 07:08 AM.. Reason: mistake
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Found one alternative ha , and I have it , Phase 4 Bitwig

Last edited by LIFEPASS4; 1 week ago at 07:18 AM.. Reason: mistake
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIFEPASS4 View Post
A BOUTIQUE CZ 101 would be nice , I would like 4 of them , are there any synths today with Phase Distortion?
Not sure if it's something similar to PD they're doing, but some of the tones out of the recently announced Argon8 sound very CZ-ish. That's one of the reasons I'm interested.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

hellz yeah

101 IS A BEAST
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
on the 101 there limited patch storage and batteries are necessary for saving patches. Heavier than they should be with all those D cells.

But they are fun cool synths. Given your criterea, I'd also consider the reface DX / CS and the poly 800.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricera View Post
Not sure if it's something similar to PD they're doing, but some of the tones out of the recently announced Argon8 sound very CZ-ish. That's one of the reasons I'm interested.

Some Tones do alright ..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold View Post
on the 101 there limited patch storage and batteries are necessary for saving patches. Heavier than they should be with all those D cells.

But they are fun cool synths. Given your criterea, I'd also consider the reface DX / CS and the poly 800.
Yes i was thinking about a reface DX and a Dtronics DT-RDX controller
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

There is a midi breakout box which acts as an editorand preset storage device. I've got one for my CZ1000. It means you can have over 1000 presets, do arps, keysplits and really opens up the capabilities of the synth.

From the website...

The CZ Patch Library (CZPL) is an essential companion for the Casio CZ series of synthesizers. It contains:

2,186 presets. Brasses, basses, pads, leads, percussion, drums, it’s all in there.
10,000 memory slots to store the patches you create on the CZ! No longer are you limited to saving only 16 or 32 patches.
1,000 memory slots to store entire banks of patches. Save and recall the entire memory of your synthesizer at once! Perfect for live performance or building your own custom soundsets.
An arpeggiator with features from the Roland Jupiter-4 and Korg microKORG arpeggiators. The Casio CZ series comes to life when you add an arpeggiator. Latch, keysplit, external and internal trigger.
Now also contains all features of the PL88 – support for all synthesizers that support SysEx!

https://lewismidi.com/czpl/
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search