The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
A6, VS, or TI
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

A6, VS, or TI

ok, i'm pretty sure my next synth is going to be one of these...

i'm looking for something that has good basic oscillator sound, is tweakable and not impossible to figure out, has a decent keyboard and quality workmanship, and will of course not have too many reliability issues...

i will be using it mainly for deep house etc., i.e., i need something w. lots of warm / organic textures but still a modern sound...

the TI is the one i've demo'd the most, and what puts me off it, and the virus c, is the heavy sonic signature... it is fantastic sounding, but it seems to me its the kind of synth you build songs around, not the kind you fit in to your mixes w. little ear candies here and there...

the vs i've always loved, but of course, there are the reliability issues and the difficulty in getting one fixed.

andromeda is the one i've spent the least time with, is the most expensive, and gets the most mixed reviews...

i'm not slutty enough for all 3... how about one? (ps, i've already got juno, se1, and softsynths....)
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

one thing that im happy with is the TI. just being able to use it as a 16 part multitibral synth plug it freaking great. the sound is also really good and it just came out with new grantable osilators.

its true it has a specific sound. which s also mainly due to the reverb and delay. the delay has an LFO to detune each repeat which also is part of the sound. point is that if u bypass the fxs yyoull wont get much of that sound your talking about.

also, there are plenty of presets you can buy online geared toward specific genre. cause the TI has the same as the C which is geared toward trance and trance from whenn the C was new. too badd you cant delete all those presets and add your own. although it has plenty to build your own. plus the patches you can buy online.

i like its trancegater and arp function as well as the FM on it is sweet
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

A6 please

Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5 View Post
A6 please

nice, but, how do the raw square waves sound?
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

big and warm heh
Old 5th February 2007
Here for the gear

HI Soulman,

I've been hearing that for "ear candies" you just can't beat the Supernova line, talk about "Wow" factor. Holy smokes! I saw one on Ebay, dirt cheap. Seems the guy didn't know what he had. Go figure.

Get off the dope, you big phone.
Mark Levin
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

bah hah...

yeah, supernova all the way....

"quizzlings..."

- wiener nation
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

I think I would get an A6. I'm not a Virus fan though, I'm an analog fan. The VS, if you are talking Prophet VS, is very nice, but different than a standard RA or VA. It's a mix of both worlds. A hybrid of analog and digitial with it's waveforms make it sound really cool. But the A6 will give you tones of possibilities, so it's a tough call.
Old 25th February 2007
Gear Addict

A6 and Virus TI MP3 examples.

I've had an A6 since just after they came out. I just yesterday got the Access Virus TI Desktop.

The TI is wild for sure. The A6 really sings when you take its 16 outputs to a summing box (I use a cheezy SM8), and put that through a good pre-amp (I just use an ART MPA Gold until the TAB Funkenworks one is ready for delivery).

The TI and A6 are very different.

If I had to have one of the two, I'd take the TI, because of the VST Total Integration, and the fact that it's more portable. Oh, also because it's new, and I've had the A6 for years and years.

Here's some all A6 mp3 from years ago (recorded on Soundblaster) so don't expect 'mastering':

The A6 arps:
http://www.paulsop.com/deathray/mp3/Surf%20Syntar.mp3

The A6 driven by Numerology (OS X Sequencer) + Space Designer reverb:
http://www.paulsop.com/deathray/mp3/...Numerology.mp3

An A6 ambient peice. Kind of a baren world:
http://www.ruccas.org/pub/Deathray/Proteus2.mp3

Not all A6, but featuring:
http://www.paulsop.com/deathray/mp3/...0Fresh%201.mp3
http://www.paulsop.com/deathray/mp3/...00-minimal.mp3
http://www.paulsop.com/deathray/mp3/...rc%20March.mp3

Here's an Access TI thing I made last night just for fun:

Access Virus TI Tetris:
http://www.paulsop.com/deathray/mp3/Tetris_Take_2.mp3 (mp3)
http://www.paulsop.com/deathray/mp3/Tetris_Take_2.wav (wave version)

Play em all loud!
Old 28th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Since you have the Juno and SE-1, I would really lean toward the TI. The new version has all kinds of graintable gritty goodness that would mix well with those two. The A6 is nice, but really has a more narrow pallette. You'll really like the software control too. Easiest way to program and organize a synth ever.
Old 4th March 2007
Lives for gear

ok i got the andromeda!!! was delivered this past friday and have been playing with it for a few days now.

sorry to say, but i just love analog; it just sounds more interesting to me. especially if you're going to spend time tweaking sounds, for me, the synth needs to have good basic tones and none of the va's i've tried achieve that... most are pretty thin and make it up in the fx / modulation departments....

will post more as i dig into it...
Old 5th March 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrane View Post
ok i got the andromeda!!! was delivered this past friday and have been playing with it for a few days now.
Do you mean some of the A6 sounds are thin, or on VA's?

Congrats on your A6!
Old 5th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktorfuture View Post
Do you mean some of the A6 sounds are thin, or on VA's?

Congrats on your A6!
all the va's i've played sound thin... not the patches, necessarily, but the raw waves...

oscillators on the a6 sound pretty thick and fat to me...

not the fx though...
Old 5th March 2007
Lives for gear

Where were you able to find one in stock?? I'm trying to score one myself.
Old 5th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneCre8 View Post
Where were you able to find one in stock?? I'm trying to score one myself.
ebay's the way, bruv

i paid $2200 usd with shipping, a s-ram card loaded with all the presets, and the original packaging included...

it is fully mint.

i think i paid at the higher end for what they go. you can get them cheaper.

i saw a guy selling one for $1000... if you could "pick up only" in florida.

new they are hard to find, but i am VERY leery of any a6's under 6 months - 1 yr old as they come from a batch notorious for tuning problems.

i do not know if they will be made again.

i have literally NO idea how to work this thing yet... i'm kind of too much in awe of it still... but i can already tell once again alesis proves why it has a rep for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

if they would have NOT included the fx on this box, let alone load every preset up with them, they would have sold alot more...

those fx could probably make a real steinway piano sound like the piano in the fusion... just like in every synth, you have to hear thru the presets if possible.

the fx do not compare w. the TI, and when 75% of the presets sound comes from the fx, no wonder the andromeda has so many sloggers out there...

from a raw sound standpoint, though, scrolling thru the bass presets, (the only ones w.out fx, btw) it rivals and perhaps surpasses, in some ways, my se1.

i was pretty impressed by that.

i cannot wait to try and pull some oberheim 4 voice and 8 voice sounds out of it, the raw kind of stuff zawinul did on the earlier weather report stuff.... like intro to havona from heavy weather...
Old 5th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrane View Post

new they are hard to find, but i am VERY leery of any a6's under 6 months - 1 yr old as they come from a batch notorious for tuning problems.
I am in the market for an Andromeda as well.

Out of curiosity how do you know that the current production batch of a6's are in full working order? Also how do you know if ure a6 hasn't just been sitting in the back of a store for 6 months to a year? Anyone know any serial number range(s) for these bad a6's or when the new production batch with improved manufacturing began serial number wise or date wise?

congrats on ure a6 soultrane!

If anyone has an andromeda and wants to trade it for my emu sp 1200 black reissue pm me. I'm in west LA . here are some pics of it
http://losangeles.***************/sfv/msg/288486245.html
Old 6th March 2007
Lives for gear

i'm a longtime A6 owner:
you are correct, turn off the FX.
turn off the tuning too, once it's been on for a little while.
Old 6th March 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl516 View Post
i'm a longtime A6 owner:
you are correct, turn off the FX.
turn off the tuning too, once it's been on for a little while.
I agree so much! Turning tuning off and letting it drift a bit adds a lot of magic for sure!

I also, of course, turn off FX if I'm taking it off the main out.

One great idea is to send the 16 voices to a summing mixer. That makes it mega huge, and lets you use your own pre, comps, limiters, etc.. and then it's sheer madness.
Old 6th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuez View Post
I am in the market for an Andromeda as well.

Out of curiosity how do you know that the current production batch of a6's are in full working order? Also how do you know if ure a6 hasn't just been sitting in the back of a store for 6 months to a year? Anyone know any serial number range(s) for these bad a6's or when the new production batch with improved manufacturing began serial number wise or date wise?

congrats on ure a6 soultrane!

If anyone has an andromeda and wants to trade it for my emu sp 1200 black reissue pm me. I'm in west LA . here are some pics of it
http://losangeles.***************/sfv/msg/288486245.html
check the andromeda forum/mailing list... i believe someone up there posted his serial numbers, etc....

my understanding is the bad batch was the last batch; according to the guy i talked to at nova, they had to send them all back; PLUS, no one at alesis knows how to fix it, so they ended up giving everybody credits...

what i would watch for on ebay is the guy who says i've had it for 5 months and i don't know how to use it, its like brand new...

a guy like that, even if he's totally honest, might not even know its got a problem, and without the warranty, you've got troubles.
Old 8th March 2007
F5D
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktorfuture View Post
I also, of course, turn off FX if I'm taking it off the main out.

One great idea is to send the 16 voices to a summing mixer. That makes it mega huge, and lets you use your own pre, comps, limiters, etc.. and then it's sheer madness.
I also own an A6 and love it. However, I don't understand how summing the direct voice outs with an external box would give a better sound? The voices stay analog all the time. If you don't use the digital send fx, the result should be the same and you can connect a preamp or compressor to the A6's main output too if you want. I guess the direct voice outputs cannot be used in multimode very well because A6 uses a different voice chip almost every time you push a new key. I though that these outputs were meant only for troubleshooting.

Dave Smith Evolver uses a/d- and d/a-conversion in the signal path but it still sounds good. I will get a mono evolver keyboard and nord lead 2 rack soon. I am not a big fan of Virus TI due to it's total integration. However, I like the sound of virus synths. Anyway, Virus synths don't have a very good basic oscillator sound. Most of the sounds are made with built in fx.
Old 12th March 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D View Post
I also own an A6 and love it. However, I don't understand how summing the direct voice outs with an external box would give a better sound? The voices stay analog all the time. If you don't use the digital send fx, the result should be the same and you can connect a preamp or compressor to the A6's main output too if you want. I guess the direct voice outputs cannot be used in multimode very well because A6 uses a different voice chip almost every time you push a new key. I though that these outputs were meant only for troubleshooting.

I think I remember Mike Peake from the original Andromeda team saying that the Individual outs and the Aux output on the synth have a slightly purer path. I think the FX are a sidechain and when they are off the FX's Dac's self-noise can be noticeable particularly on quiter patches.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search