The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
SCSI2SD owners how do you make it work?
Old 4th March 2016
Gear Addict

SCSI2SD owners how do you make it work?

I bought a scsi2sd off ebay with the latest firmware after making sure it worked with the ASR-10, ASR-X, roland s760 and yamaha A5000 samplers.

I have tried with several different SD cards but none of these 4 mentioned devices seem to see the scsi2sd no matter what.

the scsi2sd i power with a usb plugged into a usb wall brick, when i plug it in the light slowly goes from off to bright and then stays off.
Old 4th March 2016
Gear Head

I didn't know it could be powered through the USB for normal operation - I thought USB was just used when connecting to a computer.

I either power mine through an external power supply (same that would power a hard disk) or through SCSI termination power.

I have a Roland S760 and it is powered through the SCSI plug, so no power supply necessary - just connect up the SCSI cable.
My ASR-10 requires a power supply as it doesn't supply power through the SCSI cable.
Old 4th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by big ol shea View Post
I bought a scsi2sd off ebay with the latest firmware after making sure it worked with the ASR-10, ASR-X, roland s760 and yamaha A5000 samplers.

I have tried with several different SD cards but none of these 4 mentioned devices seem to see the scsi2sd no matter what.

the scsi2sd i power with a usb plugged into a usb wall brick, when i plug it in the light slowly goes from off to bright and then stays off.
Did you load the latest firmware from their site and configure the drive[s]?

Maybe this post will help a little bit: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...-question.html
Old 4th March 2016
Gear Maniac
i own several, what board revision do you own?

green = v3
yellow = v4
red = v5.

first thing download the scsi2sd utility and flash the firmware yourself ,

connect scsi2sd via usb to the computer and then upgrade its firmware.

second

use the utility to first limit the size of device 0 to something under 2gb so say 1800 mb.

then on the general settings i used these

then remove the usb connector,
make sure your scsi2sd powers down, then connect it to your chosen sampler via scsi, make sure you are using a molex with v3/v4 boards.

v5 does not need a molex power connector if your sampler correctly sends the power needed to the termination line.

you should be good to go from there. any other questions simply ask, below is my asrx with the settings described.

Old 4th March 2016
Lives for gear

Don't have the scsi2sd device connected up when updating the firmware.

First run the utility, then click on FILE then UPDATE FIRMWARE, then select the update file location (the file will be called something like '***version number***update bundle' if you haven't downloaded the firmware you will need to go to the repository and get it), then connect up your scsi2sd device. At the bottom it says searching for device, then found and then updating (off the top of my head)

I thought I had bricked mine by having it connected up before running the firmware update, led's were flashing like pervs afterwards.
When I got my scsi2sd it didn't work either. Some version of the software deliberately disables itself as it's probably is only there for the bootloader. When I upgraded the firmware it worked perfectly. Even though mine was from a very recent batch it still had an older firmware on it.

Edited with more information

Last edited by apprenticemart2; 4th March 2016 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: updating
Old 4th March 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmey View Post
Did you load the latest firmware from their site and configure the drive[s]?

Maybe this post will help a little bit: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...-question.html

looks like a helpful link but i will check!
i realized it has the latest firmware but when i try to configure it, my changes dont stick.
maybe i should email the scsi2sd guy?

edit: WOW so much helpful support from you guys here!
i am truly appreciative!
ps i have a red version 5 board.
Old 4th March 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyvizier View Post
I didn't know it could be powered through the USB for normal operation - I thought USB was just used when connecting to a computer.

I either power mine through an external power supply (same that would power a hard disk) or through SCSI termination power.

I have a Roland S760 and it is powered through the SCSI plug, so no power supply necessary - just connect up the SCSI cable.
My ASR-10 requires a power supply as it doesn't supply power through the SCSI cable.

I read it can be powered off USB but now I'm not going to be surprised if that is my problem!

I'm worrried about powering it from the molex though as I have some molex to AC adapters I got with external hard drive kits but i think those put out 12v and i don't want to damage the scsi2sd.

thanks again everyone for the super helpful hints. learning a lot!
Old 4th March 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I read it can be powered off USB but now I'm not going to be surprised if that is my problem!

I'm worrried about powering it from the molex though as I have some molex to AC adapters I got with external hard drive kits but i think those put out 12v and i don't want to damage the scsi2sd.

thanks again everyone for the super helpful hints. learning a lot!
if you have a external scsi case (that used to house a hd or cd/dvd then the molex will work perfectly.

on the utility programme what version fo the firmware is reported?

also when you save to device, unplug the scsi2sd afterwards, then plug it back in and hit load from device to check if your settings have sticked.

make sure you completly power the scsi2sd off after you make changes (save to device)

report back and i'll try my bets to help further.
Old 4th March 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpc3kle View Post
if you have a external scsi case (that used to house a hd or cd/dvd then the molex will work perfectly.

on the utility programme what version fo the firmware is reported?

also when you save to device, unplug the scsi2sd afterwards, then plug it back in and hit load from device to check if your settings have sticked.

make sure you completly power the scsi2sd off after you make changes (save to device)

report back and i'll try my bets to help further.

thank you so much for your help man!

i have one of these scsi "avid quietdrive ultra/160" that currently has a 73gb HD in it and i was just waiting for the right adapter to arrive so i can use its 80 pin output.

will extra adapters hurt it, like should i just have the db25 of the 50 to 25 port directly coming out of the hard drive case then?

my scsi2sd says 4.6, thanks a ton for your help, i realy appreciate it!

edit: one more question - do i make my partitions in the scsi2sd tool like your screenshot or do i make them on my device like my asr or roland?
Old 4th March 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
thank you so much for your help man!

i have one of these scsi "avid quietdrive ultra/160" that currently has a 73gb HD in it and i was just waiting for the right adapter to arrive so i can use its 80 pin output.

will extra adapters hurt it, like should i just have the db25 of the 50 to 25 port directly coming out of the hard drive case then?

my scsi2sd says 4.6, thanks a ton for your help, i realy appreciate it!

edit: one more question - do i make my partitions in the scsi2sd tool like your screenshot or do i make them on my device like my asr or roland?
80 pin rear onnection?

if so not really mine has a centronics 50 pin then i got a cable from the centronics to db25, then db25 female adapter, then i use different cables, db25 to centronics for akai s1000/s950. db25 to 50 pin for asrx....

you configure the size with the scsi2sd utility so your sampler see's only that amount, for example the eps may not like things as big so you may need to configure a profile with a size of 100mb (1st gen zip) , i know my emax dont like anything bigger then 100mb, emax 2 can handle more.......

for your asr use the settings i said before as they work with the asrx.

form there its trail and error most will be plug and play but others may be fussy which but with the utility app through trail and error you can find working settings.
Old 18th April 2016
This is the best SCSI product I have ever used. Aside from samplers, of course!

For me things went rather smoothly with Yamaha A3000, and I'm going to try it with K2000, S-760, Emulator 4, and A5000 later. I used Sandisk 8GB SDHC Class 10 card with it. The thing is you have to configure SCSI2SD from your computer first to make it work optimally. Mine came with only 1 SCSI device enabled, so I had to enable other 3 manually, so I could use 4x2GB SCSI "hard disks" with the Yammie A3000. Firmware upgrade wasn't necessary. I can only recommend these guys at Amigakit amigakit.com Amiga store - we ship worldwide to buy your SCSI2SD. I did wait more than a week for it to arrive, but what matters the most is that everything works fine. The only drawback I should mention is that you simply have to download the firmware and the utilities yourself from codesrc here: SCSI2SD - code/src wiki as it doesn't come with any accessories or utilities. This is clearly not a job for the "faint hearted". You have to know at least something about SCSI, computers, and samplers.

On Yamaha A3000 I had to format the SD card manually, of course. I got 4 2GB hard drives, and you can only mount two at once. Each hard drive has to be divided into partitions, and I chose 8 partitions per "HD" because Yammies work better with more smaller [250MB in this case] partitions. Especially because I use tons of smaller samples. If you only use loops then you could format less partitions and it could work just fine with 4x500MB partitions. I haven't tried bigger values yet.

Gosh this works great! No more hard disk noise, and it works fast. Loading seems to work a bit faster than saving. Love it!
Old 19th April 2016
Gear Addict

I agree with Dux, it is the best scsi solution for samplers out there. I haven't found a sampler that it doesn't like yet, they are cheaper than other scsi solutions and having the ability to have 4 hard drives on 1 SD card knocks it out of the park. I have 6 samplers and 3 SCSI2SD. Plus I don't have to worry about powering the device either (bonus).
Old 19th April 2016
I wonder does anybody know if short [3-6ft,1-2m?], normal DB25M to DB25M serial cables will work for external connection to SCSI2SD with Kurzweil and/or Roland S-760? I don't want to fry anything with a dodgy or just wrongly wired cable. I've already got the IDC50F to DB25F adapter for it. Kurzweils and Rolands sport DB25 female connectors, not more modern SCSI-2 half-pitch 68pin female connectors like Yamahas do. I'm having trouble finding proper DB25M-DB25M cables here in Europe, and shipping from the US costs twice the price of the cable [~$35] which is completely unacceptable.

Or if somebody knows somebody who sells proper, short and sturdy SCSI DB25M-DB25M cables here in Europe, please PM me or share the information here.

Cheers!

Edit: I just bought SCSI ZIP 250 drive for 30 euro @eBay, so I got the working ZIP drive, 6 ZIP cartridges, and the SCSI cable for the price of ordering just a cable from the US. This is what I call lovely jubbly! Cheers! But the info about where to get the cable in Europe would be probably appreciated by people who need it. It's much easier to get all other types like centronics and half pitch to DB25 and similar combinations.

Last edited by DuX; 20th April 2016 at 03:03 AM.. Reason: additional info
Old 20th April 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuX View Post
I wonder does anybody know if short [3-6ft,1-2m?], normal DB25M to DB25M serial cables will work for external connection to SCSI2SD with Kurzweil and/or Roland S-760? I don't want to fry anything with a dodgy or just wrongly wired cable. I've already got the IDC50F to DB25F adapter for it. Kurzweils and Rolands sport DB25 female connectors, not more modern SCSI-2 half-pitch 68pin female connectors like Yamahas do. I'm having trouble finding proper DB25M-DB25M cables here in Europe, and shipping from the US costs twice the price of the cable [~$35] which is completely unacceptable.

Or if somebody knows somebody who sells proper, short and sturdy SCSI DB25M-DB25M cables here in Europe, please PM me or share the information here.

Cheers!

Edit: I just bought SCSI ZIP 250 drive for 30 euro @eBay, so I got the working ZIP drive, 6 ZIP cartridges, and the SCSI cable for the price of ordering just a cable from the US. This is what I call lovely jubbly! Cheers! But the info about where to get the cable in Europe would be probably appreciated by people who need it. It's much easier to get all other types like centronics and half pitch to DB25 and similar combinations.
I'm not in Europe, I'm in the US, but Ebay will probably be your best bet. Even out here in the US stores don't sell scsi cables anymore, so we have to rely on Ebay or Craigslist. Another option is thrift stores.
Old 20th April 2016
Lives for gear

Amazon? That's where I got a SCSI cable a week or two ago. US too, though.
Old 3rd May 2016
Gear Nut
Anyone know where to find an idc25 to idc50 adapter or ribbon cable so I can fit the scsi2sd inside my ASR10?
Old 6th May 2016
Lives for gear

watching thread for ASR10 install
Old 16th August 2016
Gear Head
I just started using the the SCSI2SD board in an external SCSI enclosure with my ASR10. I'm able to save stuff, so far so good.

But how do I access the card on the Mac? Does Translator recognise the ASR10 formatted SCSI device on it?
Got the card out of the SCSI2SD and inserting it into my Macbook it's just not showing up
I'm totally in the dark with this one, can somebody fill in the blank on this?

Many thanks.
Old 17th August 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmri View Post
I just started using the the SCSI2SD board in an external SCSI enclosure with my ASR10. I'm able to save stuff, so far so good.

But how do I access the card on the Mac? Does Translator recognise the ASR10 formatted SCSI device on it?
Got the card out of the SCSI2SD and inserting it into my Macbook it's just not showing up
I'm totally in the dark with this one, can somebody fill in the blank on this?

Many thanks.
I order mine last week to use with my Akai(s) and I'm interested in this answer too.

Also, how do I know if my sampler(s) provide power via SCSI?
Old 17th August 2016
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech44 View Post
I order mine last week to use with my Akai(s) and I'm interested in this answer too.

Also, how do I know if my sampler(s) provide power via SCSI?

I read somewhere that the ASR10 does not provide power on the SCSI bus. I also tried it and it seems to be correct. Instead you can power the SCSI2SD from the external enclosure.

Or you can experiment with connecting 2 samplers. I have my MPC3K and the ASR10 connected and the SCSI termination removed on the SCSI2SD. MPC gives the power thus it has to be powered up first then after ~10 seconds you can power up the ASR10.
More info about this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kytXdaK3Q7I
Old 2nd September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimelectric View Post
Anyone know where to find an idc25 to idc50 adapter or ribbon cable so I can fit the scsi2sd inside my ASR10?
LIke this?

https://www.itead.cc/scsi2-50pin-to-...5-adapter.html
Old 2nd September 2016
Gear Maniac

I got mine a few weeks ago (along with several adapters) and got it working fine with my Triton (external 25db) My other sampler is an emu, and it has the 50 pin inside, so shouldn't need it on that one. Did have to order a cable.
Old 15th September 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
That's a DB25 connector to IDC50. I need it to be IDC25 to IDC50.
Old 10th October 2016
Hi guys

I just got an SCSI2SD for my Akai S5000. I'm completely dumbfounded. So far the Akai "sees" it, but it can't use it for anything, it just says unrecognized and I get a lot of error messages.

I've followed the set-up instructions mentioned in this thread. This is as far as I've gotten. I cannot format the SD in the Akai, because although it allows me to start the process, it just ends in an error.

The Akai is terminated, the emulator card is terminated. The firmware on the emulator is the up to date.
Attached Thumbnails
SCSI2SD owners how do you make it work?-20161009_193852.jpg   SCSI2SD owners how do you make it work?-20161009_193926.jpg  

Last edited by Aiyn Zahav; 10th October 2016 at 03:46 AM..
Old 10th October 2016
Lives for gear

Just checking -
Make sure you have the current firmware
Make sure termination is correct (you probably want it on)
I'd format the SD on your computer to assure the sampler can see it
Possibly boot up and do the quick format option

The above worked great on my kurzweil
Old 10th October 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by pounce View Post
Just checking -
Make sure you have the current firmware
Make sure termination is correct (you probably want it on)
I'd format the SD on your computer to assure the sampler can see it
Possibly boot up and do the quick format option

The above worked great on my kurzweil
The Akai is terminated, the emulator card is terminated. The firmware on the emulator is the up to date.

One thing I can't do yet is format the card on my PC. I'm waiting for a usb card reader to come.
Old 10th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyn Zahav View Post

One thing I can't do yet is format the card on my PC. I'm waiting for a usb card reader to come.

do not format on your p.c.

set the scsi2sd as follows to check it;

only enable 1 drive

make it small like 80MB in size

never take the sd out to put in anything else until you get it working on your sampler use them as a paired single entity no matter the sd cards real size keep it at 80MB and only use one drive assignment until you have it working properly.

once that happens pull it back out plug it back into usb and try setting the drive size to 100MB smaller than your sampler max is capable of handling. if that fails use a different sd card if it fails again shrink the hard drive size to half the sampler's max and try again

get a cheap p.c. molex power splitter that has a female input and 2 male outputs. cut the yellow wire out and use this to plug /adapt your scsi2sd to your sampler's molex or scsi cases' molex power cable
Old 10th October 2016
Lives for gear

fwiw I did format and name my SD card on my computer before putting it into the SCSI2SD. (I went with FAT32 to allow me to transfer it between my computer and my EMU sampler).

The SCSI2SD was seen on mine right away and I used different settings in the SCSI2SD utility for the Kurzweil and EMU as appropriate for each. In both cases the SD was seen immediately, so it made me question if your SD card might need to already be in some particular format to even be seen by the sampler even if you were to let the sampler format the SD card again after that.

Making sure the SCSI cable is the correct way and the settings in the scsi2sd itself via the utility program are the next suspects.
Old 10th October 2016
I reduced the size to 80Mb, still the same problem. I'm worried the floppy drive isn't working properly either.
Old 10th October 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by pounce View Post
fwiw I did format and name my SD card on my computer before putting it into the SCSI2SD. (I went with FAT32 to allow me to transfer it between my computer and my EMU sampler).

The SCSI2SD was seen on mine right away and I used different settings in the SCSI2SD utility for the Kurzweil and EMU as appropriate for each. In both cases the SD was seen immediately, so it made me question if your SD card might need to already be in some particular format to even be seen by the sampler even if you were to let the sampler format the SD card again after that.

Making sure the SCSI cable is the correct way and the settings in the scsi2sd itself via the utility program are the next suspects.
I bought a bunch of floppy disks thinking I could update the O.S myself, the s5000 it doesn't interact with the floppies at all, I think they are in the wrong format. I think it just doesn't see the SD card right now, but I really don't know.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search