All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
SCSI2SD owners how do you make it work?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes w1 View Post
Thanks for the info

How does this work?
First you create the image file "iso" and then you open it with a Chicken Translator?
Hi

I tried with Translator 6 Free version. No success after hours. The program seems to have a logical ways but I think you need to buy it. Or can you do it with a free version?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Thanks for the info

How does this work?
First you create the image file "iso" and then you open it with a Chicken Translator?
- download disk image
- mount disk image with Daemon Tools
- Open Translator (you should now see the disk in Translator)
- convert files from whatever format to whatever format (in this case EMU .e4b)
- Organize files. Translator makes redundant folders a lot of times. Make sure the EMU banks are only one folder deep.
- Insert sd card (SCSI2SD) from EMU into computer - drag n drop the folder onto card. Eject.
- Insert sd card back into EMU..... enjoy.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModMatrix View Post
- download disk image
- mount disk image with Daemon Tools
- Open Translator (you should now see the disk in Translator)
- convert files from whatever format to whatever format (in this case EMU .e4b)
- Organize files. Translator makes redundant folders a lot of times. Make sure the EMU banks are only one folder deep.
- Insert sd card (SCSI2SD) from EMU into computer - drag n drop the folder onto card. Eject.
- Insert sd card back into EMU..... enjoy.

Thanks ModMatrix

Do I need a paid Translator version for this?

I am so near I think.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Thanks ModMatrix

Do I need a paid Translator version for this?

I am so near I think.
Not sure about the differences between paid/unpaid? I will say, well worth the money if you’re going to be converting a bunch of stuff. I’ve done a MASSIVE amount Akai, Roland, Ensoniq, TAL, you name it, into EMU E4 banks.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hi

I tried with Translator 6 Free version. No success after hours. The program seems to have a logical ways but I think you need to buy it. Or can you do it with a free version?
The "free version" of Translator is useless. It's not even a proper demo really, because you can't literally do anything with it. So yes, you need the full version.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I installed the SCSI2SD with success to E-MU E4XT Ultra.

Question:How to bring an E-MU sample cd-rom with the SD card (64gb) to the sampler? It must be something very basic I do wrongly.

1. I open the paid version of Daemon Tools
2. I inserted the E-MU sample cd Vol 1 into Mac's CD drive. And it says "The disk you inserted is not readable". Ok. I click "ignore" and continue.
3. In Daemon Tools I choose: "Grab a Disk" and E-MU cd appears to the Daemon Tool (Drive) as "unknown". Ok.
4. I choose Format ISO and click continue. It succesfully saved as Disk Image named the E - MU1.iso
5. Then I dropped the E - MU1.iso disk image onto FAT-32 formatted SD disk and it copied it.
6. Then I inserted SD into EMU SCSISD2.

E-MU says "unknown format.
???
Does anybody knows?
Step 5 is probably where it goes wrong. Try to write iso to the SD card with the dd command in the terminal. I think you need to unmount the iso image before that as well. I have managed to write several disk images to SD cards for my EMU ESI4000 and Peavey SP samplers that way.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramse View Post
Step 5 is probably where it goes wrong. Try to write iso to the SD card with the dd command in the terminal. I think you need to unmount the iso image before that as well. I have managed to write several disk images to SD cards for my EMU ESI4000 and Peavey SP samplers that way.
Thanks ModMatrix, Soniqfreq Mach1na and cramse.

I managed to convert E-MU sample cds I bought from the net. (Prod. 94-98 in E3 format)
with the free version of Translator using its "convert" function.

Here I describe the simple procedure:

1. I mounted the cd with daemon tools to ISO.file. Saving onto the desktop with a name.
2. Then I opened the Free version of Translator 6. and from its menu "Operations" I chose "Open the Image folder. Then I dropped the ISO file onto it.
3. Then it needed to click the "Refresh"(in Translator column) and I saw below the "Virtual Drives" also the EMU symbol with the arrow. I open it by clicking the arrow and now I see the ISO file (changed to an EMU symbol.)
4. Then I Right click that file and chose "Covert" which then shows all kind of the formats. I this case E3 to E4 and it let me do it:
During the process it says:
"Translating EMU/ESI 32 bank to EMU EOS Bank---
" Finished translating for ex. More Emulator to Emu EOS Bank Format"
Then it asked
" Please input the name of this Physical Drive or Virtual Drive"
It makes a named folder to you onto the desk top: And it put all in.
In this folder you see all those blue E4 files.

I dropped the folder to the Emu formatted Fat SD card ( I formatted it first in the Mac to FAT32 but then I formatted it in the EMU. This is a bit unclear to me; do it needed formatted in mac, emu or both?

Anyway then I inserted SD card in to the Ultra and then I started to play.

May be I later will buy a Translator, if I need other formats than E-MU. It also might have all kind of nice features like an auto sampler etc.

And of course this is The Sampler! To make your own sounds and soundscapes etc. I hope people find these powerful machines. And update them to work in today's studio with the SCSI2SD card system.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

I know I'm about a month late in this conversation. (Can I ask why, regarding using Translator, why don't you guys just ask the manufacturer, Chicken Systems? support AT chickensys.com, or call 320-235-9798. Instead of flailing around, you'd get the facts without spending hours guessing. And a read-through the Translator manual would helped too.)

I represent the manufacturer, and I know, so here's the facts and the REAL way how to do it.

What Johannes is trying to do is take his E3 CD's and put the data on his SCSI2SD SD card and have his Emu E4/EOS-type sampler load it. That's where we start.

First, it needs to be understood that E3 and E4 are different formats. Second, understand the E4 loads E3 banks and "translates" them automatically. Third, understand that a EOS 4.7-equipped has two different file systems - Emu proprietary and EOS FAT.

How the conversation ended up is that Johannes found somewhat by accident that Translator Free DOES convert E3 banks to E4 banks, for free. (So Translator Free is not useless, as you can see, it is quite helpful.) We included this because, hey, the E4 reads E3 banks, so why not allow it.

But all of this was really unnecessary. We recommend the following procedure,

1) Take one of the SCSI2SD ID's and format for Emu Proprietary, either on Translator or the Emu.

2) In Translator, you'll see the Emu ID under Proprietary Drives on the left, and of course your Emu CD(s) there too, or Emu images under Virtual Drives-Emu.

3) Select the Emu CD/Image on the left, you'll see the Banks on the right. Lasso them all, then drag them from the right to left and drop them on the ID on the SD card. This directly copies the Banks, still in E3 format, to the Emu-formatted drive.

Then the E4/EOS sampler will read those banks off the SD card, translating them from E3 format to E4 format. Then you are free - you don't have to, really - to save them onto another ID (in 4.7 could be a EOS FAT-formatted ID), and it'll be in true-blue E4 format.

This is the cleanest way of doing it.
Old 2 weeks ago
PHG
Lives for gear

What SCSI2SD options are available for the Ensoniq ASR-X? Is it best to just keep the SCSI2SD external, or is there a nice way to remove the floppy drive and set the SCSI2SD up there?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickeneps View Post

I represent the manufacturer, and I know, so here's the facts and the REAL way how to do it.

---
How the conversation ended up is that Johannes found somewhat by accident that Translator Free DOES convert E3 banks to E4 banks, for free. (So Translator Free is not useless, as you can see, it is quite helpful.) We included this because, hey, the E4 reads E3 banks, so why not allow it.

But all of this was really unnecessary. We recommend the following procedure,

1) Take one of the SCSI2SD ID's and format for Emu Proprietary, either on Translator or the Emu.

2) In Translator, you'll see the Emu ID under Proprietary Drives on the left, and of course your Emu CD(s) there too, or Emu images under Virtual Drives-Emu.

3) Select the Emu CD/Image on the left, you'll see the Banks on the right. Lasso them all, then drag them from the right to left and drop them on the ID on the SD card. This directly copies the Banks, still in E3 format, to the Emu-formatted drive.

Then the E4/EOS sampler will read those banks off the SD card, translating them from E3 format to E4 format. Then you are free - you don't have to, really - to save them onto another ID (in 4.7 could be a EOS FAT-formatted ID), and it'll be in true-blue E4 format.

This is the cleanest way of doing it.
Hi chickeneps

Thank you for the info: How to do this the easiest and the right way.
And really the free version of the Translator 6 is very useful as you said.
Yes it is very wise to read the manual and I did it. Case was that for me the scsi (scsi2sd) system and even the ISO file was unknown sector and thats why it takes me a lot of time to do it.
The Translator itself seems to have a very powerful and useful logic
The paid version of Translator 6 is definitely worth the money.

So people: read the chickeneps post I quote and not my complicated way to do it.

Johannes
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHG View Post
What SCSI2SD options are available for the Ensoniq ASR-X? Is it best to just keep the SCSI2SD external, or is there a nice way to remove the floppy drive and set the SCSI2SD up there?
Hi PHG

I change the Floppy from my Ultra right away after buying it. I have a modest tech skills and I did it myself.

I noticed also this external:

SCSI2SD v5.5 Plug-In Drive

In this site
https://samplerzone.com/collections/storage
Old 2 weeks ago
PHG
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi PHG

I change the Floppy from my Ultra right away after buying it. I have a modest tech skills and I did it myself.

I noticed also this external:

SCSI2SD v5.5 Plug-In Drive

In this site
https://samplerzone.com/collections/storage
Thanks! I'll check it out.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Also check

https://store.inertialcomputing.com/category-s/100.htm

Considerably cheaper but doesn't come with pre-formatted SD card. I ordered the

https://store.inertialcomputing.com/...si2sd-v5.5.htm

and it works perfectly with my Kurzweil.

As it says at SamplerZone:

" This quality SCSI2SD v5.5 Plug-In Drive works with EVERY SINGLE SAMPLER we know of (which is all of them). All Ensoniq, Akai, Akai MPC, Roland, Emu, Ensoniq, Kurzweil, Korg, Peavey, Synclavier, Fairlight, Waveframe samplers."
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search