The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
SCSI2SD owners how do you make it work?
Old 22nd May 2019
  #211
Is anyone using the scsi2sd as an external drive for a Yamaha SU700? I just had an AIEB1 card installed on the sampler and maxed out the ram to 64mb. If I’m gonna go with v5.1, is just a matter of getting a good quality scsi cable for connecting the drive and then powering it with a usb? The formatting is for another day, I’m just looking for the hardware config for now. Cheers!
Old 16th June 2019
  #212
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soniqfreq View Post
Which version of SCSI2SD are you using in your Ultra? I had installed v5.1 and it did that also...I partitioned as one 16GB SD and it showed up as 4.

When I switched to v6 configured a 64GB SD as a single partition in the v6 util, the ultra saw the single partition. Everything was straightforward to set-up (using FAT32-EOS4.7). I configured it using the directions posted here:

http://www.dogsonacid.com/attachment...mu-pdf.144979/
Hi Soniqfreg, Zero Crossing, Modular 8

I just bought E-MU E4XT Ultra with EOS 4.7.
There was only a floppy drive involved; no internal hard drive! However, everything seems to work. E-MU and these kinds of scsi and hard drive issues are new to me. So I ask the shopping list to get the E-MU in order.
Where can I buy that SCSI2SD v.6? And then will it replace the Ultra floppy disk?
What kind of internal hard drive should I buy?
What kind of old external scsi cd-rom drive? (I have c.20 E-MU library rom.
I use E-MU most to make my own sounds, instruments and soundscapes.




EDIT
I found these; price difference is big.

https://samplerzone.com/collections/...2sd-v6-0-drive
and
https://www.shapeways.com/product/FU...more-from-shop


Johannes
Old 16th June 2019
  #213
Gear Head
 
ModMatrix's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes w1 View Post
Hi Soniqfreg, Zero Crossing, Modular 8

I just bought E-MU E4XT Ultra with EOS 4.7.
There was only a floppy drive involved; no internal hard drive! However, everything seems to work. E-MU and these kinds of scsi and hard drive issues are new to me. So I ask the shopping list to get the E-MU in order.
Where can I buy that SCSI2SD v.6? And then will it replace the Ultra floppy disk?
What kind of internal hard drive should I buy?
What kind of old external scsi cd-rom drive? (I have c.20 E-MU library rom.
I use E-MU most to make my own sounds, instruments and soundscapes.


EDIT
I found these; price difference is big.

https://samplerzone.com/collections/...2sd-v6-0-drive
and
https://www.shapeways.com/product/FU...more-from-shop


Johannes
Yes, the SCSI2SD will replace the floppy if you get the appropriate mounting bracket. You won’t need an internal drive. Just the SCSI2SD. I use a 64gb sd card with my E4XT Ultra and it’s plenty. You can easily swap out banks to your computer.

You need:
SCSI2SD board (whatever version you’d like)
Mounting bracket for the floppy bay
50 pin SCSI cable @ 18” or so.
And a jumper to terminate the floppy (this is ABSOLUTELY crucial)

I bought my SCSI2SD (v5.1) from Inertial Computing for about $80, but there’s always lots for sale on eBay. The SCSI2SD will be powered from the SCSI buss.
It’s really easy to do. Takes longer to open up the E-MU than it does to hook up the SCSI2SD.

Cheers.
Old 17th June 2019
  #214
Here for the gear
 

I second skipping the internal hard drive. All that adds is noise, heat, and added costs. I bought my v6 scsi2sd and black bracket at Inertial. They’ve been super responsive and helpful. A 64Gb sd card is plenty of space.

The CDRom will take some ebay hunting or borrow from someone who has one. Definitely worth it get those old sampler roms copied onto the SD cards. The nice thing with v4.7 of EOS is that when you format the SD as FAT32, once you copy all your disks on he SD, you can make a digital copy onto your computer in case you need to restore one day. Then sell the ROMs and CD drive to someone else or put them away and never look at them again.
Old 17th June 2019
  #215
Gear Head
Many thanks to you, ModMatrix and Soniqfreq. Your clear answers make me very happy. Gold Advice. Great solutions for using E-MU E4XT Ultra 4.7of EOS. Luckily I found this thread after studying for days.

Johannes
Old 17th June 2019
  #216
Gear Maniac
 

And now, Inertial is offering Scsi2sd v. 5.5 which plugs directly into the external Scsi port for a mere $64!

https://store.inertialcomputing.com/...si2sd-v5.5.htm.

I think this may be just what I need for my multiple synths!

Old 17th June 2019
  #217
Gear Maniac
 

"Technical Specifications

SCSI Interface
DB25 male socket. Connects directly to SCSI host with no cable.

Supports asynchronous transfers only.
SCSI Terminator
Active Terminator.

Always-on

SD Card Interface microSD
USB Interface
Firmware updates and configuration.

USB 2.0 micro-B.

Power 5V via DB25 SCSI connector, or USB.
2.35W maximum (500mA)
To be used without USB 5V adapter,
a host that supplies terminator power on pin 25 of the DB25 socket is required
Dimensions (L x W x H) 7.5cm x 5.5cm x 1.8cm (External case)"
Old 17th June 2019
  #218
Gear Head
 
ModMatrix's Avatar
Definitely what Soniqfreq said about CD-ROM’s. It’s tricky finding one that will work properly.

Another way to do it is with Daemon Tools & Translator 6. Daemon Tools allows you to mount just about any cd imaginable. Translator can read all the different native sampler formats. Then you simply save them as E4 Banks (.e4b) and load them onto your sd card. No cd-rom drive needed. Of course you can also “translate” any other sampler format cd’s (akai, roland, etc) this way too.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #219
Gear Head
That feels like a good alternative to the old scsi-cd rom station. I just downloaded it and will try it.
" DAEMON TOOLS FOR MAC 7
Smart mounting and imaging software"

Thank you ModMatrix.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #220
Gear Head
 
ModMatrix's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes w1 View Post
That feels like a good alternative to the old scsi-cd rom station. I just downloaded it and will try it.
" DAEMON TOOLS FOR MAC 7
Smart mounting and imaging software"

Thank you ModMatrix.
It also works equally well for disc images too.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #221
Lives for gear
 
atma's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftucker View Post

To be used without USB 5V adapter,
a host that supplies terminator power on pin 25 of the DB25 socket is required
What exactly does that mean? I don't follow.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #222
Lives for gear
 
atma's Avatar
So, can anyone explain to me exactly what I need to do to get a v5 board working with an E-MU 6400 Classic? I've literally tried about everything imaginable and the 6400 either has errors or simply never sees the drive. I've spent so many hours messing with it that I've basically given up. That new external v5.5 might be worth a shot.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #223
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
What exactly does that mean? I don't follow.
Check with Inertial to be be certain but, since my Kurzweil’s SCSI port requires a 25-pin connector, I assume this will work but, if the specified pin does not provide the terminator power, I will simply need to use an appropriate USB 5 volt adaptor.

The only other advice I can give is try to calm down. I consider computer problems like a game where you keep getting killed. Think of it as excitement rather than frustration! When you finally get it to work, remember there are even more challenging levels ahead.

Good luck.

Old 3 weeks ago
  #224
Lives for gear
 
atma's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftucker View Post

The only other advice I can give is try to calm down. I consider computer problems like a game where you keep getting killed. Think of it as excitement rather than frustration! When you finally get it to work, remember there are even more challenging levels ahead.

Good luck.

Haha! that's actually pretty funny, but absolutely true!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #225
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bftucker View Post
I consider computer problems like a game where you keep getting killed.
That pretty much sums it up. I like that.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #226
211
Gear Head
 

@ atma ,

Quote:
So, can anyone explain to me exactly what I need to do to get a v5 board working with an E-MU 6400 Classic? I've literally tried about everything imaginable and the 6400 either has errors or simply never sees the drive. I've spent so many hours messing with it that I've basically given up
on my e6400 classic, I had to power the 5.1 board via the floppy connector to make it work. I had strange behaviour without. May be my emu psu is the old one and wasn't strong enough to provide the needed milli amps via the internal scsi ribbon connector.

I removed the floppy and put a jumper.

I didn't had this problem on my e5000 + V6 board on internal connector
Old 3 weeks ago
  #227
Gear Head
Atma

I bought SCSI2SD (v5.1) from the Inertial Computing for my E-MU E4XT Ultra. He also gave suggestions and answers to my questions. I suggest you ask advices from him. By contact email. He seems to know these samplers.

BTW. He also said that v6 is overkill for the Ultra. So I bought v.5.1. But the other samplers might be different.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #228
Lives for gear
 
atma's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 211 View Post
@ atma ,



on my e6400 classic, I had to power the 5.1 board via the floppy connector to make it work. I had strange behaviour without. May be my emu psu is the old one and wasn't strong enough to provide the needed milli amps via the internal scsi ribbon connector.

I removed the floppy and put a jumper.

I didn't had this problem on my e5000 + V6 board on internal connector
Yeah, I've got it powered via the floppy power connector and put a jumper in there so it doesn't scan for the floppy anymore. It does power up, and I've gone through all the various steps to set up/format the v.5 board/SD card via USB. At some point, the 6400 recognized the drive as a read-only CD-ROM (if I'm remembering this correctly), and I think one or two times I got it to see the partitions on the SD card, but I'd get errors trying to access them. Usually, it simply doesn't see the board/card at all. I've tried setting it all the different SCSI numbers, as well as tried formatting the board with earlier firmware versions, etc. It eventually made me a little crazy and I gave up.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #229
Lives for gear
 
atma's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes w1 View Post
Atma

I bought SCSI2SD (v5.1) from the Inertial Computing for my E-MU E4XT Ultra. He also gave suggestions and answers to my questions. I suggest you ask advices from him. By contact email. He seems to know these samplers.

BTW. He also said that v6 is overkill for the Ultra. So I bought v.5.1. But the other samplers might be different.
Ah, great idea! Thanks.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #230
211
Gear Head
 

Quote:
At some point, the 6400 recognized the drive as a read-only CD-ROM (if I'm remembering this correctly), and I think one or two times I got it to see the partitions on the SD card, but I'd get errors trying to access them.
In EOS system setup, scsi tab, did you checked the sampler scsi ID is not the same by one of scsi2sd virtual drive ?
I'd start with only one virtual drive (one scsi ID)
or are your connection is well terminated ?

Your issue looks like scsi id conflict.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #231
Lives for gear
 

I bought an external Chicken Systems SCSI2SD drive last month for my S-760 and was about 100 times smoother than I thought.

I was up and running in less than 5 minutes. It was $200 but the convenience is well worth the money. The SD card even comes pre-formatted for your sampler and they set the SCSI IDs for you.

It was pretty effortless.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #232
211
Gear Head
 

@ Johannes w1
Did you try to run the emu, while scsi2sd is powered by usb ?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #233
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by 211 View Post
@ Johannes w1
Did you try to run the emu, while scsi2sd is powered by usb ?
No. I will try it.

EDIT. No difference.

I still wonder why there is only icon of removed Floppy Disk station?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #234
211
Gear Head
 

Quote:
I still wonder why there is only icon of removed Floppy Disk station?
I've got the floppy icon too, even if the floppy drive have been removed.

this is my settings for e6400 + 5.1, firmware 4.8.03
nothing special, not the best setting, but may help
4 drives from id 1 to 4 (some 4go, other 2go)
Attached Files
File Type: zip SETTINGS-EMU6400.xml.zip (2.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 2 weeks ago
  #235
Gear Head
I misunderstood some guide: When I bought the SCSI2SD Card, they said no extra cable needed.

But just as ModMatrix said:
I need The 50-pin SCSI cable between the SCSI2SD and the E-MU SCSI bus. Enough long.
Then put a jumper on a connector (Data) where Floppy Drive used to be connected.
Old 5 days ago
  #236
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModMatrix View Post
Another way to do it is with Daemon Tools & Translator 6. Daemon Tools allows you to mount just about any cd imaginable.
I installed the SCSI2SD with success to E-MU E4XT Ultra.

Question:How to bring an E-MU sample cd-rom with the SD card (64gb) to the sampler? It must be something very basic I do wrongly.

1. I open the paid version of Daemon Tools
2. I inserted the E-MU sample cd Vol 1 into Mac's CD drive. And it says "The disk you inserted is not readable". Ok. I click "ignore" and continue.
3. In Daemon Tools I choose: "Grab a Disk" and E-MU cd appears to the Daemon Tool (Drive) as "unknown". Ok.
4. I choose Format ISO and click continue. It succesfully saved as Disk Image named the E - MU1.iso
5. Then I dropped the E - MU1.iso disk image onto FAT-32 formatted SD disk and it copied it.
6. Then I inserted SD into EMU SCSISD2.

E-MU says "unknown format.
???
Does anybody knows?
Old 5 days ago
  #237
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes w1 View Post
I installed the SCSI2SD with success to E-MU E4XT Ultra.

Question:How to bring an E-MU sample cd-rom with the SD card (64gb) to the sampler? It must be something very basic I do wrongly.

1. I open the paid version of Daemon Tools
2. I inserted the E-MU sample cd Vol 1 into Mac's CD drive. And it says "The disk you inserted is not readable". Ok. I click "ignore" and continue.
3. In Daemon Tools I choose: "Grab a Disk" and E-MU cd appears to the Daemon Tool (Drive) as "unknown". Ok.
4. I choose Format ISO and click continue. It succesfully saved as Disk Image named the E - MU1.iso
5. Then I dropped the E - MU1.iso disk image onto FAT-32 formatted SD disk and it copied it.
6. Then I inserted SD into EMU SCSISD2.

E-MU says "unknown format.
???
Does anybody knows?
It probably copied the iso to the SD and not the actual emu banks. You probably need Chicken Translator to “copy” the contents of the .iso onto the SD. Unless there is another way to actually copy the banks from the emu cdrom/iso to the SD using Daemon Tools.
Old 5 days ago
  #238
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes w1 View Post
Atma

I bought SCSI2SD (v5.1) from the Inertial Computing for my E-MU E4XT Ultra. He also gave suggestions and answers to my questions. I suggest you ask advices from him. By contact email. He seems to know these samplers.

BTW. He also said that v6 is overkill for the Ultra. So I bought v.5.1. But the other samplers might be different.
I had originally installed v5.1 on my Ultra and could not for the life of me get it to see more than 4Gb partitions on my SD. I bought v6 (since I needed another one anyways) and formatted the SD as a single 64GB partition without issue. Let us know if you could get a partition larger than 4GB recognized by your ultra using v5.1. That would save others a few dollars.

Other advantages of the v6 were the addition of mass storage recognition, which allows the SD to mount directly on a cpu via usb cable (just see my previous notes on this ).
Old 4 days ago
  #239
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soniqfreq View Post
It probably copied the iso to the SD and not the actual emu banks. You probably need Chicken Translator to “copy” the contents of the .iso onto the SD. Unless there is another way to actually copy the banks from the emu cdrom/iso to the SD using Daemon Tools.
Thanks for the info

How does this work?
First you create the image file "iso" and then you open it with a Chicken Translator?
Old 4 days ago
  #240
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soniqfreq View Post
I had originally installed v5.1 on my Ultra and could not for the life of me get it to see more than 4Gb partitions on my SD. I bought v6 (since I needed another one anyways) and formatted the SD as a single 64GB partition without issue. Let us know if you could get a partition larger than 4GB recognized by your ultra using v5.1. That would save others a few dollars.

Other advantages of the v6 were the addition of mass storage recognition, which allows the SD to mount directly on a cpu via usb cable (just see my previous notes on this ).
Ok. When I asked this Inertial Computing only said that people don't do it right.
But I will check this, when I have understood the whole picture.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump