The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
SCSI2SD owners how do you make it work?
Old 22nd January 2019
Lives for gear

Does any one have a sure fire way to move files from PC to SCSI2SD or a USB stick with micro SD card?
My scsi2sd card is 8 gigs so it will not show up in translator free with USB stick.
I used a scsi cable and it corrupted.

I always followed the translator free partitioning feature but it bugs out for me, although people get it going its been a battle for me.

I used Total commander and ensoniq plugins, its also having issues like copying 100 empty folders.

Can you mount a USB stick in linux and move files? (Much like how I used my Kurzweil to move files with linux)
Old 29th January 2019
Gear Addict

bought a new 64gb card. does it make sense just to create 4 16gb devices? my k2500 can only see 8gb, my s3000 only 500mb. just to be future proof.
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Addict

ok, i just did that.
Both K2500 and the S3000XL can access the devices.
I used 1 device for a CDROm Emulation.
The S3000 can access thes whole CD, but the K2500 only had see HDD A:?
Are there any Kurzweil Users with an SCSI2SD?
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Hard Drive Compatibility Information | Kurzweil

four 2gb partitions is the max it can see.
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Addict

yeah, i know. i created an 8GB Device just for the K2500.
I created a second device for emulating CD Drives.
When I use a real CD the k2500 can access all the Partitions/Volumes on the CD.

i created the device inside the scsi2sd-util and set the device-type to CDROM.
I gave it 8GB, just for beeing able to load DVD images.
i just copied the whole image onto the mapped scsi2d device.
Attached Thumbnails
SCSI2SD owners how do you make it work?-unbenannt.jpg  
Old 7th February 2019
Here for the gear

Does anyone know a solution to the following issue: I use SCSI2SD v4 with a MicroUSB port and MicroSD card on an AKAI MPC60II and on the machine the SD card works fine but when I want to see it on a Mac Book Pro with High Sierra and place the MicroSD on a USB card reader, my MBP sees it but not the SCSI devices, it shows nothing. I intend to back up on the Mac the sounds I created on the MPC60II and wish to load the SD card with extra sound libraries from my external HD. Does anyone know how to solve this, please?
Old 16th February 2019
Here for the gear

I just got a SCSi2SD v5.1 board up and running on my E-mu ESI32 OS 3.02. (Turbo). I formatted the 16GB SD into (4) 4GB drives with the utility...well the 4th drive is about 2.5GB. Powered via SCSi. No issues once I turn off termination on the board (terminated on external cd-rom).

The problem I’m having is I started to backup my esi/emulator cd-roms to the SD and have run into a bank limit! It seems that regardless of avaialable drive space, a hard drive can have no more than 100 banks on the ESI! After loading 2.5 CDs, I have more than 80% of the partition left but have a disk full message because I have 100 banks on the drive. Any way around this artificial limit? I have searched online and can’t find any solutions. Only thing I can think to do is merge presets, but that is a huge time commitment and real pain. Any ideas?
Old 16th February 2019
Here for the gear

Hi, just came up with the same issue on my ESI32 yesterday. Thought it was due to my OS 2.1.
Will read through the manual once more. It is really a bit annoying!!
Old 17th February 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks Magic64. the 100 bank limit seems so arbitrary. I even have the original SCSI and turbo kit upgrade guides and they have no mention of a bank limit. They just say add an SCSI HDD and format, supports up to 4GB disks in OS 3.02.
Old 17th February 2019
Here for the gear

The manual doesn’t mention it either. They just proudly state that a bank can hold 100 presets. I think at that time they expected that most people would rather use these 100mb discs. That could be exchanged more easily. That is what the manual is actually suggesting.
The ESI is also not supporting partitions (unlike Akai). Hence the maximum you can put on HD would be 3GB (32mb x 100).

If I find the time I will start merging some banks . With os 2.1 I anyhow have 1gb max size. Have however not yet tried to install the four partitions on the SCSI2SD 5.1. Was happy it worked with single drive
Old 21st February 2019
Here for the gear

The workflow I figured out is to copy all the banks on a CDROM to the SCSI2SD drive (about 50-60 banks), load a bank into working RAM, and then start merging presets from the other banks up to the 32mb limit. I then copy that 32mb bank back to the drive and delete the banks I just merged. Repeat until I get about 10, 32mb banks on the drive. Then load up the next CDROM and do it all again. What a pain. Probably better just to use a bunch of 1GB SD cards and call it a day. Not worth the time. I just want to eliminate the scsi CDROM from my setup and try to speed up sample load times. The hot swap feature on the SCSI2SD is helpful for swapping cards easily.
Old 21st February 2019
Here for the gear

Did it now also this way! Backed up all ESI disk to the SD card. I have now four discs on one SD card with around 20 banks each of the four partitions. This makes it also easier to manage. I can take the cd booklet as reference.

The sd card can be read on a PC with EMXP. Should also be possible to merge banks from here.

I will now start converting my Akai discs and buy more 4gb sd cards
Old 26th February 2019
Gear Head

This can flash partitioned sd cards in a minute, partition by partition. For example u can use it to flash sample cd ISOs to sd card partitions:

balenaEtcher - Home

Here i have scsi2sd v6 (7 partitions) card in E-MU E4XT partitioned like this:

1. Partition - hard disc space for samples, preset, banks
2. Partition - flashed ISO (E-mu Production set)
3. Partition - flashed ISO (X-static goldmine)

Cheers!
Old 18th March 2019
Here for the gear
Has anyone successfully managed to get an Akai S3000XL to read a CD image written to an SD card using SCSI2SD?

I can format/read/write a standard HD partition using the software, but when it comes to writing CDs images to the SD the sampler won't read them. I got a step closer by modifying the image and removing the first 16 bytes (to bring the header up like an HD image), but it only half showed volumes with some garbled text later and there was nothing to load.
Old 19th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveystabs View Post
Has anyone successfully managed to get an Akai S3000XL to read a CD image written to an SD card using SCSI2SD?

I can format/read/write a standard HD partition using the software, but when it comes to writing CDs images to the SD the sampler won't read them. I got a step closer by modifying the image and removing the first 16 bytes (to bring the header up like an HD image), but it only half showed volumes with some garbled text later and there was nothing to load.
I do this. I have one Drive where I copy an ISO Image using DD on Linux.
The S3000XL can read the full image, sadly my Kurzweil K2500 only sees the first partition of the CD Image.
Old 19th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveystabs View Post
Has anyone successfully managed to get an Akai S3000XL to read a CD image written to an SD card using SCSI2SD? I can format/read/write a standard HD partition using the software, but when it comes to writing CDs images to the SD the sampler won't read them.
This is intriguing. I asked about this earlier regarding the Akai S5000 - and I got the sense that reading ISO / image files wasn't possible, you'd have to convert them into Akai format programs (.akp) using Translator or something similar.

Apart from that extra hurdle, I've been happy with SCSI2SD - I put in a 60GB card and following instructions it worked right away on my first try, the full storage amount shows up as a 60BG "hard drive" I can add pretty much all my image format sample CDs in there...
Old 19th March 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherun View Post
I do this. I have one Drive where I copy an ISO Image using DD on Linux.
The S3000XL can read the full image, sadly my Kurzweil K2500 only sees the first partition of the CD Image.
Interesting. On the S3000XL does the CD image show like a hard drive e.g. HARD-:A or does it show something CD related? (I've never actually got a SCSI CDROM drive to work with the S3000XL, seems to be picky).

When you write the image, do you pull the SD card out of SCSI2SD and into another card reader to write to it? The problem I have is after "Send To Device" I rarely see any partitions in Windows. Sometimes I do after a reboot, but they're usually the wrong sizes and the partitions come up strange in Disk Management.
Old 20th March 2019
Gear Addict

the Drive where I copy the Image to has the device txype CD-Rom.

I take the card out of the scsi2sd and into a normal cardreader.

I have to try to change the device type to HD and maybe than the K2500 can see the whole thing, thx for the idea.
Old 20th March 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1na View Post
This is intriguing. I asked about this earlier regarding the Akai S5000 - and I got the sense that reading ISO / image files wasn't possible, you'd have to convert them into Akai format programs (.akp) using Translator or something similar.
Theoretically if the SCSI2SD is set to have a CDROM drive partition and you write the raw image to it, the sampler should see it no problem (and I believe S5000 is backward compatible with the older formats). But in practice I cannot get this to work, maybe my SCSI2SD is faulty. What I was aiming to do was get all my Akai CDs on 1gb memory cards. I'm now looking at RASCSI for this.
Old 20th March 2019
Gear Head

i'm using the v5.1 scsi2SD w/an e6400. it took some trial and error to get it to work. had to really push hard on the scsi connecter to get it to connect w/the scsi port on the sampler.

also i had to reformat the SD card to match _exactly_ the scsi ID and sectors for the SCSI2SD card. using the firmware app for the scsi2SD i was able to do this. i have chickensys translator so matching the SD card to the scsi2SD was easy to set up.

also, i found that my emu does not like scsi ID 0. so i used IDs 1, 2, 3, 4 and then ID 5 for my internal drive on the emu. also, i formatted the SD card so it was 4 partitions of 2GB.

i got the scsi2SD from samplerzone which is a link from the chicken systems site.. same company i guess. and they sent explicit instructions on how to set up the scsi2SD in case there's trouble getting things talking. "device 1" on the scsi2SD has to start at sector 20480 i think. and so i formatted the SD card to do the same.. then each total is the same for each device but where the sector starts is different because sector 2 starts where sector 1 ends and sector 3 starts where sector 2 ends.. and so on.

it make sense once you have the app open.

if you're on a mac you can't set up the SD card in disk utility if you are using an OS beyond 10.11. you have to use terminal. like i said.. i used the Translator6 app from chicken systems and it worked perfectly.
Old 21st March 2019
Here for the gear
Finally got this to work (SCSI2SD/S3000XL/Akai CD images). Good to see some samples from the outside world again and not just my own shizzle .

What I've learned:

SCSI2SD didn't like all SD cards, this was the biggest problem. Write was OK in windows, verified OK, checked in hex editor (hxd), but refused to work, then changed it for another SD and voila.

Image must be ISO. Bin has fluff at the start of it and elsewhere, so I used WinBin2Iso to convert.

I wrote the images to SD using Win32DiskImager, which needs a partition on the SD (left unformatted) with an assigned drive letter via Disk Management to see it. As mentioned the SD card needs to be in another attached card reader to write, since SCSI2SD v5.1 doesn't seem to be a fully fledged card reader(/writer) when connected via USB.

Have not tried multiple partitions yet, not sure if I will since the configuration doesn't travel with the card in v5.1 as far as I understand. Nice to hotswap 1Gb cards with different CDs on them, sampler has no problem with that. Also the SCSI2SD config util isn't fussed whether CDROM or HD is set for the drive for Akai, since I believe the format is the same.

Update: I am doing multi partitions on SD now and the best way I have found to do this is have a SCSI card in the PC (Adaptec AHA2940 using 7XXX drivers in Win 10/64 bit, 6 squid off ebay). After saving partition settings to SCSI2SD v5.1 (4 x 800mb is my fixed choice to cover CDs and HDs), plugging it into the PC as a SCSI device (via SCSI cable) it will reveal all 4 partitions that can easily be written to (or read) using HDD raw copy (great tool). Trying to partition the card directly in Win (via external card reader) never worked as it would either buckle trying to partition it or at write stage on partitions after 1st, plus trying to line up sectors to match the config = nightmare.

I am mainly using a combination of 1gb/4gb SD cards with the above config in place (obviously on a 1gb card don’t write past 1st partition in above size setup!). I have PC, Akai S3000XL and Roland S760 plus 4 x SD Card virtual drives (from partitions) in the SCSI chain (that’s my 7 devices) and working well, and so I didnt see a need for SCSI2SD v6. The S760 OS is set up on one SD and it loads instantanious compared to floppy. Have nearly all ISOs on SD now. It’s a great solution but took some fiddling to get the best from it with zero documentation, so hope this helps someone.

Last thing: if ISOs don’t work, used Hxd to look at how they start comparing with one that does. I went through some bad conversion tools (Daemon tools would not convert Akai bin to iso correctly, the afore mentioned one did). Note I am also using samplers natively/writing native format ISOs. Trying to read/write/interperate data on PC is obv another thing using 3rd party tools (I dont do this, happy to sample/work within samplers, then use HDD raw copy to backup raw partions to PC).

Last edited by raveystabs; 18th April 2019 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: More info
Old 27th March 2019
Gear Nut

Was wondering if anybody that has a SCSI2SD installed in a E-MU Ultra sampler can post a screen grab of their scsi2sd-util set up. I'm getting wonkiness with the one I just installed. I've only got one partition, but multiple "drives" are showing up in the Disk Browse screen on my E4XT Ultra. Very weird.

Cheers
Old 28th March 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Crossing View Post
Was wondering if anybody that has a SCSI2SD installed in a E-MU Ultra sampler can post a screen grab of their scsi2sd-util set up. I'm getting wonkiness with the one I just installed. I've only got one partition, but multiple "drives" are showing up in the Disk Browse screen on my E4XT Ultra. Very weird.

Cheers
i had this same problem. it sounds like you have overlapping sectors. did your scsi2sd come w/instructions?

how are you partitioning the SD card?

it's very particular about partitioning. if you are using OS X it's impossible to set up the partitions correctly using disk utility on some versions of OS X.

i used translator6 to get it right. perhaps the demo version of translator will allow to do partitions? or if you're on windows maybe it's easier to achieve

i had to start the first sector not at the beginning of the card so those first bits of data could be used for whatever **** gets written to the card when partitioning.. then each partition is 2GB exactly except for the 1st partition which has that little gap at the beginning.

i'm at work so can't send a screen grab of how i set up the SCSI2sd w/the programming utility but basically i just made it _exactly_ match the way the SD card was partitioned. if there's any overlap in sectors it gets confused. also my e6400 did not like SCSI ID 0.

sampler zone helped me sort it out but i bought the SCSI2sd from them so i'm not sure if they provide support if you didn't buy it from them...
Old 28th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modular_8 View Post
i had this same problem. it sounds like you have overlapping sectors. did your scsi2sd come w/instructions?

how are you partitioning the SD card?

it's very particular about partitioning. if you are using OS X it's impossible to set up the partitions correctly using disk utility on some versions of OS X.

i used translator6 to get it right. perhaps the demo version of translator will allow to do partitions? or if you're on windows maybe it's easier to achieve

i had to start the first sector not at the beginning of the card so those first bits of data could be used for whatever **** gets written to the card when partitioning.. then each partition is 2GB exactly except for the 1st partition which has that little gap at the beginning.

i'm at work so can't send a screen grab of how i set up the SCSI2sd w/the programming utility but basically i just made it _exactly_ match the way the SD card was partitioned. if there's any overlap in sectors it gets confused. also my e6400 did not like SCSI ID 0.

sampler zone helped me sort it out but i bought the SCSI2sd from them so i'm not sure if they provide support if you didn't buy it from them...
Thanks for the info. I'm indeed on a mac. As far as partitions go, I just want one big partition (64gb in this case). I formatted the sd as FAT in my computer, then EOS FAT in the machine. I have an AKAI S5000 with a SCSI2SD in it and I didn't have this problem. Quite weird. Each of the "drives" you can see in the E-MU Disk Browse screen is actually just the same drive but with a different name ("D0, D1, D2...etc"), and each drive says it has @ 60gb of space (???).

Its a headscratcher. Although, honestly I can still use the SCSI2SD just fine.
Old 28th March 2019
Gear Head

^^ oh that's weird.. i had a similar thing happen but each drive had 0 MB of space!

try changing the scsi ID. i had to pick something other than ID 0.

when i get home i'll look at how i set mine up and make a screen grab or just get the important data and post it here. the important part for me was just having the SCSI2SD set up so that it matched the card perfectly. as if you have two maps and lay them on top of each other.

after i set it up that way it worked as expected.

You may try just formatting the card in the sampler and see how it goes?
Old 28th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modular_8 View Post
^^ oh that's weird.. i had a similar thing happen but each drive had 0 MB of space!

try changing the scsi ID. i had to pick something other than ID 0.

when i get home i'll look at how i set mine up and make a screen grab or just get the important data and post it here. the important part for me was just having the SCSI2SD set up so that it matched the card perfectly. as if you have two maps and lay them on top of each other.

after i set it up that way it worked as expected.

You may try just formatting the card in the sampler and see how it goes?
yeah, tried all those already. Even tried physically uninstalling the SCSI2SD and reinstalling. Tried formatting on the computer, not formatting on the computer... tried pretty much every trick there is. I'm sure it's something really stupid I'm overlooking.

But, it does actually work. And I can freely transfer samples and banks.... So I should probably just count my blessings and move on.
Old 17th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Crossing View Post

Cheers
Which version of SCSI2SD are you using in your Ultra? I had installed v5.1 and it did that also...I partitioned as one 16GB SD and it showed up as 4.

When I switched to v6 configured a 64GB SD as a single partition in the v6 util, the ultra saw the single partition. Everything was straightforward to set-up (using FAT32-EOS4.7). I configured it using the directions posted here:

http://www.dogsonacid.com/attachment...mu-pdf.144979/
Old 17th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soniqfreq View Post
Which version of SCSI2SD are you using in your Ultra? I had installed v5.1 and it did that also...I partitioned as one 16GB SD and it showed up as 4.

When I switched to v6 configured a 64GB SD as a single partition in the v6 util, the ultra saw the single partition. Everything was straightforward to set-up (using FAT32-EOS4.7). I configured it using the directions posted here:

http://www.dogsonacid.com/attachment...mu-pdf.144979/

Thanks for the info....

Yeah, v5.1 here. Everything working fine except for seeing multiple drives (which are actually all the same drive).

I’ve got that installation guide from DOA. I hang out there specifically just for sampler talk.

Gonna stick with the 5.1 for now. If for some reason it starts to act up I’ll replace it with a v6. I also have an Akai s5000 w/ a v5 in it and it doesn’t do the multiple drives thing. Definitely a bit of a mystery. I’ve used the Stratos/Artmix drives (DinoMonster, RaizenMonster) and they don’t do it (although they have other issues).

Old 19th April 2019
Here for the gear

Some more tips for E-mu Ultra users out there:
  1. v6 powers off of the scsi bus (or Mac when connected via usb); no internal power connection needed.
  2. Don’t perform any disk operations while the USB is connected to your Mac when a card is in the sampler; it will start messing with the FS, scrambling the contents of your folders/banks.
  3. Format a new SD card in computer first. Then insert SD card into sampler with power off. Connect usb cable and run SCSi2SD Util to configure and create a single partition up to 120GB. Unplug the USB and then power up sampler. ReFormat as FAT32 from sampler (os 4.7 only). If you don’t follow these steps the ultra will format your disk as FAT-16...no good...you will need to run diskutil to repartition.

Old 22nd April 2019
Gear Maniac
Is anybody using one with an XV-5080?

I'd like to be able to use .iso sample packs with mine, but does this work this way and will there be any problems with a sample pack of say 700mb or so, given smart media's limitation to the maxed out 128mb ram size?

Is this the best solution for using sample packs with the XV-5080?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search