The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sub 37 Cookbook
Old 2nd March 2016
Sub 37 Cookbook

Hello,

I have already posted this on the Moog forums, but I was given a heads up that people here might find it interesting, too...

So this is the Sub 37 Cookbook, a resource of free patches and articles for the Moog Sub 37 Synthesizer. Download (and pre-listen to) Sub 37 patches, and submit your own! The site is still relatively new and patch submissions are highly welcome! No registration required.

Go here:
Sub 37 Cookbook โ€“ Get to know your Moog Sub 37

The idea was inspired by the microKORG Cookbook, a site I browsed a lot when I was new to the microKORG.

Cheers,
Frank
Old 3rd March 2016
Lives for gear

Old 3rd March 2016
Gear Addict

Cheers I will check this out!
Old 7th March 2016
Very good idea! it would be great if you can make the patches pre-listenable on the homepage though, so you can easily compare without having to click through all of them.
Old 7th March 2016
Most of them are, at least the ones I made myself. If somebody submits an MP3 along with the patch file, it'll also go on the page. Sometimes I try recording a demo for a submitted patch myself, but then I can't be sure if it's what the patch author had in mind.
Old 7th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbottrop View Post
Most of them are, at least the ones I made myself. If somebody submits an MP3 along with the patch file, it'll also go on the page. Sometimes I try recording a demo for a submitted patch myself, but then I can't be sure if it's what the patch author had in mind.
I mean to display the sound sample on the homepage, so I don't need to open the patch page:
Attached Thumbnails
Sub 37 Cookbook-screen-shot-2016-03-07-19.34.39.jpg  
Old 7th March 2016
Gear Maniac

Wow! Great.
Old 7th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenborder View Post
Very good idea! it would be great if you can make the patches pre-listenable on the homepage though, so you can easily compare without having to click through all of them.
I agree, to listen you have to click on (more...), but I suppose it might bog the site down if it has to load a bunch of clips at once. But maybe then, it could be something like 10 patches/clips per page or something to keep it tidy. Very cool idea though!
Old 8th March 2016
Gear Maniac
if anyone's made a song with a sub 37 please post a link
Old 8th March 2016
Gear Maniac
This is awesome! There are some Sub 37 songs over in the thread for it.
Old 8th March 2016
Gear Maniac
Whats the trick to sending certain Sysex files to certain patch locations? Sorry I am new at all this.
Old 8th March 2016
Lives for gear

^ Sysex files for single patches can be stored and loaded in two ways:

1 - If the sysex file was created with BUFFER SND: SEND, sending it to the synth will place it in the edit buffer, and you can save the patch to a preset location of your choice.
2 - If the sysex file was created with CUR PRESET: SEND, sending it to the synth will store it in the current preset, overwriting any patch that's already stored there.

So if you want to be safe, in case the patch was saved with CUR PRESET: SEND, select a preset where the patch can be stored before sending the sysex file to the synth.
Old 9th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenborder View Post
I mean to display the sound sample on the homepage, so I don't need to open the patch page:
Not a bad idea, done.

There have been a lot of submissions in the last days, thank you all, guys!
Keep it coming
Old 9th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matz67 View Post
if anyone's made a song with a sub 37 please post a link
it's mainly the Sub37 and Avalon

Old 9th March 2016
Gear Maniac
thanks, sounds really good
Old 21st March 2016
Lives for gear

Great thread, hadn't seen this before. Love the Sub 37.
Old 21st March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbottrop View Post
Excellent - thanks a lot!!!!
Old 29th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACID BATTLE View Post
it's mainly the Sub37 and Avalon

Very nice Acid Battle! I assume the acid bassline is from the Avalon?
Old 29th March 2016
Thank you, no the bassline at 0:30 is the Sub37
Old 29th March 2016
Lives for gear

All the bass parts in this are Sub-37 along with the Horn patch. https://soundcloud.com/john-belew/never-master7-24
Old 10th July 2016
Gear Maniac

Snarling Pig

Has anyone tried to make a patch for the Sub 37 like Jordan Rudess' Snarling Pig patch? I searched the cookbook site, but nothing came up. It's at 7:30

Old 10th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowtrain View Post
Has anyone tried to make a patch for the Sub 37 like Jordan Rudess' Snarling Pig patch? I searched the cookbook site, but nothing came up. It's at 7:30
It's a very different synth with a very different feature set and I suspect there's some FX there, but hey, lets try anyway. It's also a good excuse to finally try out the editor/librarian

The attached 5-minute job uses hard sync to get some of that nasal quality, helped by using the 6dB filter slope with some resonance. The resonance shapes the formant further with nasality/snarl, and using a 6dB slope lets the snarl through without dulling it. The filter EG controls the very slight sync sweep as well as a shallow filter sweep. Some multidrive is dialed in to make it a bit less polite.

It's not identical to to Mr. Rudess' piggy by any means, but it could be the pig in the neighboring pen perhaps(?) Further tweaks may bring it closer - I'll leave that to you. As a starting point, use OSC2 WAVE and FILTER RESONANCE to fine tune the base formant, and use MOD2 PITCH AMT and FILTER EG AMT to control the formant dynamics. Tweak the envelopes to suit the riff and playing style. The "Snarling Pig.SYX" file is in the attached ZIP archive below.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Snarling Pig.ZIP (337 Bytes, 28 views)
Old 11th July 2016
Gear Maniac

Thanks a lot Dr Justice! I was hoping that you'd reply. I've been following your posts on the Sub 37 patches with great interest. I'm still learning subtractive synthesis, and you've been a great help. I'll work on this tonight.
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear