The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Really don't like the modern analogue synths, gonna have to be vintage Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 3rd March 2016
Lives for gear

Are you 100% sure what you want is a raw vintage synth output and not a synth + some old recording gear and effects + audio knowledge of world famous recording studio owner/employee(s) ?
Just remember that on old songs all these synths werent vintage yet - they were brand new.

BTW IMHO it is pretty easy to make a modern synth sound vintage...
Old 3rd March 2016
Gear Maniac

Thanks fromthepuggle

2 of the YouTube demos that represent the sound I want on the Obxa are by

JMPSynth and Retrosound
Old 3rd March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecjd View Post
Thanks fromthepuggle

2 of the YouTube demos that represent the sound I want on the Obxa are by

JMPSynth and Retrosound
This one ?

Sorry to disappoint you, but that is DEFINITELY not how the synth sounds when connected directly to your audio interface.

The Retrosound demo is better, but i have some suspicions about some subtle reverb and delay in the mix.
Old 3rd March 2016
Gear Maniac

That's the one!
Old 3rd March 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy View Post
There are supposed to be some demos which have been done, but I can't find any blind tests of this. Even Google isn't any help. The one thing I have found is someone being tricked into thinking a Prophet~5 he was playing sounded so right in contrast to a P~6. Except that it was a Virus. I thought I might try to call in some favors and do a blind test of my own, but that may take some time.

I'm still not sold on this notion that new synths clearly lack some kind of magical something or other, especially in a piece of music. These kinds of threads seem more like calls for justifications of someone's impression.
What I like best, is when I read a post by someone who's so convinced that vintage is the only way to live, to go to the OB8 vs Diva thread and see that they guessed that Diva was the hardware.

I know it's a very personal choice, but when I read something like, "I really don't like the sound of the OB6" it sounds similar to when someone says something like, "I don't like ice cream." I understand it's possible, but it's hard to grok. Synths like the Prophet 6, OB6, Omega 8 and C.O.D.E. 8 sound about as good as I can imagine a synth sounding. Andromeda too, but I've read too many posts describing the problems that can besiege it.

To me, any extra "vibe" you'd get from a vintage synth is totally negated by the fact that I've got crazy things like velocity and aftertouch available on my instruments. Oh well. Nothing to get all bent out of shape about. Good luck to the OP.
Old 3rd March 2016
Gear Addict

OK, so we've established that the OP doesn't really know what vintage tone sounds like, but no shame in that, we can all learn from each other.

To the OP: What you hear there in the clip above is heavily effected, drowned in reverb, and from around 0:45 heavy phasing as well. With that much effects you could make a Volca Keys sound similar bar the Oberheim trademark filter sweep. An OB-8 plugged straight in will not sound like that without external effects, however an OB-6 could sound like that straight in since it has built-in effects with phaser and reverb.
Old 3rd March 2016
Lives for gear

Every single time someone on Gearslutz says "I like this better than that" a bunch of weirdos feel compelled to show up and start yelling "OH NO, YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE SUCH A PREFERENCE!!!! THEY ARE THE SAME!!! THE SAME!!! AND IF THEY ARE NOT, THEN AT LEAST YOUR CHOICE IS NOT THE CORRECT ONE BECAUSE IT'S NOT THE SAME AS MINE!!!"

It really is a ****ing freakshow.
Old 3rd March 2016
Gear Nut
I have a Jupiter-4 and while I love it, you have to understand that going the vintage route takes a fair bit of commitment. A few years ago I wound up doing a big recap job on it and there's still some issues I need to fix (the keyboard needs a good cleaning, the VCO scaling is slightly off, etc.).

On the other hand I have a modern analog (specifically a KARP) and I love it to bits as well. The fact that it uses modern components is nice as I won't have to worry about it for a fairly long time.

I've also tried out the Prophet-6 a few times and I really like it, so I wouldn't dismiss the modern analog stuff just because they aren't vintage or have that "vintage sound" (whatever that is).
Old 3rd March 2016
Lives for gear

Someone should invent a time machine and take a handful of modern synths back 30 years and then pull them out of storage for instant vintage!

Problem is, can't fit too much in a DeLorean.
Old 3rd March 2016
Here for the gear
Of your list, the Polysix is the only VCO synth I have.
I got it quite recently, in a non-working condition.
A week's repair later, and it sounds sweet again.

Fixed a great deal of my VCO cravings

If you really want something, just get it!
Just ignore everybody elses preferences.
Simply because they are not yours!

Oh, and I got it for a price I couldn't resist...!
Old 3rd March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
Someone should invent a time machine and take a handful of modern synths back 30 years and then pull them out of storage for instant vintage!

If it were only this simple. You do realize that without the electrons from 30 years ago they won't sound vintage anymore.
You can fit a heck of alot of batteries in the DeLorean though. Just go back 30 years and bring back as many UPS batteries as you can and power your synths from UPS' with those batteries. Then you'll have vintage electricity and that's the only way to get REAL vintage sounds from modern synths
Old 3rd March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post

I have a Tardis for sale in the classified's section, if your interested.
Old 3rd March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
So having listened to loads of demo's of the new OB6 it doesn't do it for me. I prefer the Prophet 6 but it still hasn't got that vintage tone.

Really like the Matrixbrute too but it's not poly.

Has anyone got any of the following:-

Roland Jupiter 4
Korg Polysix
Sequential Circuits Prophet 600
Alesis Andromeda A6

I really like the tone of these. Ultimately I want an Oberheim OB-XA but don't know if I can justify spending £5,000.

If you have any of the others, how have you found them?

Thanks

Chris

Hey Chris had all those other synths you mentioned and have the Jupiter 4 just got it, it's amazing sound by the way. O, this may help, I personally love the 70's sound, all though I make tech house, I have an sh5, prophet 5 tev2 and arp odyssey mk3 and jo4 been through loads of analogues and these are my desert islands, my moderns are a Kawai k5000s my controller and pad machine, Virus A desktop, jv1080 is rack art.

I basically have been through loads of modern synths, poly evolvers, most dsi stuff and what I found is I just prefer the old tone and simplicity, when I had the andromeda, Poly Evolver I loved them, but I spent more time programming them, than making music.

My set up now is ableton with Push 2, apogee symphony 16, Dynaudio monitors, that's it sold all my out board equipment that's it. It's pure simplicity and workflow, I record lots of parts from the old analogues and jam and sequence in ableton, use soft synths Uad plugins and a load of effects, think max for live. So my point is, you can have a few old analogues, mix and match into the modern world and make music quick. I personally like a lot of modern synths like dsi Pro 2, Boomstars and Moog sub 37, but I consider them a new sound, so it's all just personal taste and when I have too many synths I get bamboozled.

Get what you want and like the tone of mate, don't listen to anyone.....
Attached Thumbnails
Really don't like the modern analogue synths, gonna have to be vintage-image.jpg  
Old 3rd March 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
I have a Tardis for sale in the classified's section, if your interested.
That's not yours, I'll take that Tardis back 10 years to when it was mine. And pick up a dirt cheap ProOne on the fly by.....
Old 3rd March 2016
Tardis? How boring, it doesn't even have a flux capacitor or gull wing doors - snore
Old 3rd March 2016
Lives for gear

It will be interesting to see what Behringer comes up with.

Someone mentioned a rumour that they are particularly working on the VCA stage.

They certainly have the resources to do the R+D.

It will be funny if Behringer is one that cracks the code - just to give it to all the Gearslutz that talked smack about him for so many years.
Old 3rd March 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
Cant dev just make a chip that minimalistically fluctuates modern synth's oscillators' pitch, filter cutoffs, volumes etc. depending on the room's temperature, the synth's orientation on a stand etc. and put it in directly tied to the sound generation engine? Instant vintage if you ask me.
Actually, this is done with circuit and component modeling to the bone, a MUST in every new modern (analog and digital) synthesizer IMHO.
Lots of people have tried but nobody has got it right yet (DSI has the Slop feature, many soft synths claim to do stuff like this too). There's still something about the tone and life of old school analogue designs that hasn't been captured. It's also interesting that modern analogue synths made in the style of old ones are the only ones that capture it (Macbeth, AJH modular etc.) Doesn't mean newer synths don't also have something to offer...
The Analog keys is a very good synth for creating movement. There is a wealth of modulation possibilities to the oscillators including a OSC drift feature. But best of all is the poly mode..where each voice can have different patches or the patch can be altered to have individual modulations per voice. Adding slight PMW and Pitch mods on each voice and playing those poly-phonically is wonderful.

I loved the JX-3P because like most other vintage gear, it doesn't sound static. But having the option and control to go beyond that ultimately sounds better and is way more fun.

Im actually feeling the opposite to the op, where I find myself preferring modern analogs in many ways. Really enjoy that extra little brightness and clarity in the sound.
Old 3rd March 2016
Gear Maniac

I guess the problem with all these synths is I only have you tube demos to go by.

Incidentally I also have a Korg Kronos X 88 and a Novation Bass Station 2.
Old 3rd March 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha View Post
Every single time someone on Gearslutz says "I like this better than that" a bunch of weirdos feel compelled to show up and start yelling "OH NO, YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE SUCH A PREFERENCE!!!! THEY ARE THE SAME!!! THE SAME!!! AND IF THEY ARE NOT, THEN AT LEAST YOUR CHOICE IS NOT THE CORRECT ONE BECAUSE IT'S NOT THE SAME AS MINE!!!"

It really is a ****ing freakshow.
It sure is. I think though, that it's a bit trollish to announce that you don't like some well regarded synths (Prophet 6, OB6) before you launch into what you're looking for. Why not just say, "I'm considering x, y, and z. Thoughts?" Then if someone says, "Get an OB6" well maybe they're a tad out of line, but opening up with an attack is just setting yourself up for a sh!tshow.

This is some of the juiciest sounding synth sounds I've heard in the past 40 years.

I can't even help myself but to comment. It somewhat feels like an attack, like there's something broken in me where my brain is saying, "Man that sounds like some vintage goodness" and someone is standing next to me saying, "you're wrong."

I mean have at it. Makes no difference to me what anyone buys, but if you attack something on a public forum, prepare yourself for alternate opinions. If someone gave me a Jupiter 4 I'd sell it and buy a OB6 in a heartbeat.
Old 4th March 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
If someone gave me a Jupiter 4 I'd sell it and buy a OB6 in a heartbeat.
No reason why you can't have both (speaking as a JP-4 owner who is also highly interested in an OB-6)...
Old 4th March 2016
Gear Addict

"hobbyist decides spending more money will somehow bring contentment"

good luck with that
Old 4th March 2016
Lives for gear

i got rid of many of my vintage synths because i want to make music, not fix synths. right now i have 2 synths that need bags of parts installed. i'd rather make music than do the work to get the parts installed.
Old 4th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
i got rid of many of my vintage synths because i want to make music, not fix synths. right now i have 2 synths that need bags of parts installed. i'd rather make music than do the work to get the parts installed.
Blinky909 if you're still looking there's an Alesis MMT-8 on CL for $100
Old 4th March 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloBoy View Post
No reason why you can't have both (speaking as a JP-4 owner who is also highly interested in an OB-6)...
Sure, if you have the money for both, of course. I'm not actually trying to convince anyone to buy anything. For a lot of us, though, that kind of financial outlay is a major chunk, so a lot of thought needs to go into it as it could very easily be the only analog poly in the studio. That's why I'd tend to go for something with a bit more flexibility even if it was lacking a modicum of mojo. I also personally find that a keyboard that supports velocity feels a lot more expressive and that supports the type of music I play. For fun I called up a demo of the Jupiter 4 and it did sound great to me. It wouldn't work in my world, but undeniably great.
Old 5th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
...I know it's a very personal choice, but when I read something like, "I really don't like the sound of the OB6" it sounds similar to when someone says something like, "I don't like ice cream." I understand it's possible, but it's hard to grok...
I think this is one of the best lines I have ever read on GS.
Old 5th March 2016
Lives for gear

Sometimes it's not really an option. If in a pro studio environment a client wants a vintage sound from an old board, the smart move is getting what they want. Most artists don't give a s....t about options, it's the juice that matters. It's like if in a vintage movie someone is wearing a digital watch, when what is really necessary for an accurate representation, is a scratched old clock that tic-tocks. If you want to take a picture with a digital camera and put on top some aging filters with photoshop and convince yourself and your friends that is a vintage photo, that's fine, however don't expect to fool a professional, unless you have plenty experience meticulously faking vintage pictures. Just keep in mind that a vintage camera with old stock film will take you there faster and accurately

https://youtu.be/xih8aiacRSk?t=796
Old 5th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
Blinky909 if you're still looking there's an Alesis MMT-8 on CL for $100
picked one up locally last spring. thanks for the heads up.
Old 5th March 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
So having listened to loads of demo's of the new OB6 it doesn't do it for me. I prefer the Prophet 6 but it still hasn't got that vintage tone.

Really like the Matrixbrute too but it's not poly.

Has anyone got any of the following:-

Roland Jupiter 4
Korg Polysix
Sequential Circuits Prophet 600
Alesis Andromeda A6

I really like the tone of these. Ultimately I want an Oberheim OB-XA but don't know if I can justify spending £5,000.

If you have any of the others, how have you found them?

Thanks

Chris
In fairness I remember when the andromeda came out saying it wasn't doing it for people. It's almost like until a product becomes unavailable it becomes more desirable like an artist who's only appreciated when he passes away. I think if the prophet 6 was discontinued tomorrow it would be a classic and thr OB-6 to my ears so far sounds pretty compelling.
Old 5th March 2016
Lives for gear

I don't get why people are stressing out so much over whether or not they like the OB6 and P6. It's not like they are the only options out there for analog stuff. If you don't like them, just relax and buy something else.

I can only guess that these people are terrified of maintenance issues with vintage gear... but for the price of new DSI stuff, you could buy a Polaris or P600, break it, and repair it multiple times.
Old 5th March 2016
Gear Maniac

Come on guys, we are talking about subtractive synthesis here. Why do you want to use the old vintage synths, wich always they have endless problems and issues, exactly because they are old. The new analogues are better, more reliable, equipped with modern features, digital effects and perfect midi implementation. The Pro 6 and OB 6, for instance, are almost the perfect analogue synths, obviously for those who can afford those kind of things....

And, all these modern analogues have been made using modern circuits which are more reliable and durable. Even the cheap Arturia Microbrute as a whole (Amazing 64 step sequencer and other capabilities) is a better synth than the vintage synths from the 70's and 80's.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search