The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Arturia KeyStep (Arp's/Sequencing/Chord Memory), I'm Excited!
Old 23rd February 2016
Gear Maniac
Arturia KeyStep (Arp's/Sequencing/Chord Memory), I'm Excited!

I'm surprised there aren't more threads about The KeyStep. The midi keyboard Arturia announced at NAMM this year.

I'm excited. Finally a controller that can do Arp's/Sequencing stuff as well as Chord memory! Plus it has real midi ports (not just USB)

What does everyone else think?
Old 23rd February 2016
Gear Guru

Because everybody is still pissed about the bs pro and the fact they gave Arturia another shot?

That's just a guess, could be way off.
Old 23rd February 2016
Gear Addict

Close but no banana. It would be perfect with:
  • Full-sized keys
  • Mod wheel, velocity and aftertouch CV output simultaneous, instead of any one of those assignable
I purchased a Beatstep a month or so before the BSP was announced. I'm pretty reluctant to purchase from Arturia now, particularly if the product seems to be a cutdown product, so I'm hoping they announce the Keystep Pro at some point. In the meantime, I'm using a Doepfer MIDI-CV converter which in fact has all these these features.

I'm kind of hoping that someone releases a really nice programmable CV controller that isn't Arturia. They seem to have some issues with customer relations/impression management/QC that are something of a turn-off.
Old 24th February 2016
Gear Maniac

Im definitely buying one to program my System-1 live on stage, ala SH101 style finally!
I also use a BS on stage, but i offing hate the rotary's on it jumping all over the place all the time, its amateur stuff.

I hope the keystep is better than the BS/pro stuff...otherwise this will also be my last ever purchase from them.

For €100 its going to be worth the gamble.

Not out in stores until March 23.

Last edited by VinceWatson; 3rd June 2016 at 03:06 PM..
Old 24th February 2016
This is the problem with arturia, much as I like the stuff I own, and dig the stuff theyre trying to put out they need to fix whats already out their or their user base will just disappear.
I remember beta testing Spark 2 and having an RC land in my email full of bugs...they were fixed 6 months after release. At least they were fixed mind you.
I've totally been put off being a dead cert for a BSPro, and its unlikely I give this a whirl as Im almost 100% positive it will be rushed too.
Old 24th February 2016
It sounds like a kool piece of gear. If you can, try to get some hands on before you buy it. I have a BSP Pro but still need to read the manual to learn how to use it.
Old 24th February 2016
Lives for gear

If the keystep works as it's supposed to i'd swap my Microbrute SE for one as I only use it as a modular controller anyways.
Old 24th February 2016
Gear Maniac

Its one thing paying down €120 for a little midi controller and it not working...but can you imagine the carnage there is going to be if people paying €1800 for a Matrixbrute get the same QC?

Last edited by VinceWatson; 3rd June 2016 at 03:06 PM..
Old 24th February 2016
How many bars/steps does the keystep's sequencer offer?
Old 25th February 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceWatson View Post
Its one thing paying down €120 for a little midi controller and it not working...but can you imagine the carnage there is going to be if people paying €1800 for a Matrixbrute get the same QC?
Yeh, Arturia have pretty much bet the house on the Matrix being a success. If they fudge that one then it's all over IMO.
Old 28th March 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapedseams View Post
Yeh, Arturia have pretty much bet the house on the Matrix being a success. If they fudge that one then it's all over IMO.
I honestly think they're biting off more than they can chew with the Matrix Brute.
Old 28th March 2016
I have so many uses for this exact form factor and feature set. I ordered it a few weeks ago (from Sweetwater), but they really had no idea when it would actually be arriving. It will be the perfect companion to my Boutiques, Anode MeeBlip, Novation Circuit and some older gear such as my CZ-101 and Yamaha Portasounds. Hope it lives up to its specs because it's just one of those things that I really wanted a few years ago, and couldn't believe it didn't yet exist.
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaintjohn View Post
I have so many uses for this exact form factor and feature set. I ordered it a few weeks ago (from Sweetwater), but they really had no idea when it would actually be arriving. It will be the perfect companion to my Boutiques, Anode MeeBlip, Novation Circuit and some older gear such as my CZ-101 and Yamaha Portasounds. Hope it lives up to its specs because it's just one of those things that I really wanted a few years ago, and couldn't believe it didn't yet exist.
I ordered mine from Kraft Music and they said they were expecting it in early May.

I was already sold by the fact it was a mini keyboard controller with real midi ports. Everything else was just icing on the cake.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapedseams View Post
Everyone seems to have forgotten about their revolutionary audio interface (announced last year) as well.

Hope I can give this a whirl at the Messe, I love SH101/JX3P style sequencers.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbdlugoss View Post
I honestly think they're biting off more than they can chew with the Matrix Brute.
I honestly think they'll pull it off, they have learned a hard lesson on hardware synths and I think they will hold this one until ready and good. We watch and wait eh. . Good luck Arturia
Old 28th March 2016
Gear Nut
My biggest problem with this tool is the selection of sequences -- a rotary knob?!?

What do I do when I need to change from sequence 2 to sequence 6 on the same beat at the end of the measure? They should've provided 8 push down buttons.

I also hope they provide the option to calibrate the cv output.
Old 1st April 2016
AGP
Gear Nut
Do you think they have shot them selves in the foot with this slightly? after the beatstep pro issues that are widely reported on here are people going to be very hesitant to buy one especially with the inevitable keystep pro that will materialise in a year or so?

(im still going to buy one)
Old 1st April 2016
Gear Nut
This release got me thinking a lot. The market has a big gap for a product like this. I've been looking for something similar forever.

As of now, synth modules and full modular synthesizers are very popular. The drawback, is that performance has be stripped out of synthesizer hardware (keys, arpeggiators, sequencers). In a way that's great because we're not restricted by an SH-101 built-in sequencer or a Pro-One built-in arpeggiator, we can connect whatever we want. The problem is what?!?

To me, a reasonable controller like this would at least have these features:

- Midi/CV out. The CV out needs to provide calibration settings (Kenton users know what I'm talking about) if you want to control pitch and be in tune. Maybe even presets for different rigs.

- A solid arpeggiator that also includes syncopated patterns (Bass Station II, Roland MC-80). It would be awesome to be able to create/modify patterns.

- A sequencer that can store multiple patterns with at least 64 steps each. Quick sequence selection in the middle of a performance would be key. The new sequence would either start on the next beat or get chained.

- Syncing through MIDI/CV as master or slave.

- Arpeggiator/Sequencer can be gated or not.

- Basic global settings done on the hardware, not through a computer!

As of now, there's nothing out there that have all (or even most of) these features in one product.

Last edited by Man-Machine; 2nd April 2016 at 12:23 AM..
Old 2nd April 2016 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Machine View Post
- Midi/CV out. The CV out needs to provide calibration settings (Kenton users know what I'm talking about) if you want to control pitch and be in tune. Maybe even presets for different rigs.
I have a similar concern. I just got a Moog Minitaur, and its CV is 0 to +5V. Turns out that my Beatstep's output voltage would have attenuated because it's 10V. I hope the KeyStep is somehow adjustable. The description does say "CV supports 1Volt per octave, Volt>Hz modes, Gate output 5V or 12V for modern or vintage gear support", so that's a good sign that they've learned.

ADDED: New document on the Arturia site. Based on this and the dates I'm seeing on some retailer sites, it looks like the KeyStep will be out within a few weeks!

https://www.arturia.com/faq/utilizat...function-chart

Last edited by rsaintjohn; 2nd April 2016 at 01:25 AM..
Old 2nd April 2016
Lives for gear

I want this purely because of the form factor and it has MIDI din plugs. So many mini/micro controllers out there with just USB connectors.
Old 2nd April 2016
Gear Maniac
question
will i be able to forgo buying a kenton to do midi to cv from my mpc 4000 to my sh 101 with this?
if so it’s a deal and a steal with all of those other features
Old 2nd April 2016
Lives for gear

Agreed getting shafted by the original BS, no matter how good it looks I'd NEVER buy another Arturia product until well after release. Pre-order folks I admire your....faith
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy_1 View Post
question
will i be able to forgo buying a kenton to do midi to cv from my mpc 4000 to my sh 101 with this?
if so it’s a deal and a steal with all of those other features
The website says:

Quote:
KeyStep also integrates a socket for a sustain pedal, sync input and output to follow or send a clock signal, and MIDI input to use an external keyboard or use KeyStep as a MIDI to CV converter.
So it looks like you (and a lot of us!) could be in luck. Indeed an extra, unexpected bonus.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez View Post
Agreed getting shafted by the original BS, no matter how good it looks I'd NEVER buy another Arturia product until well after release. Pre-order folks I admire your....faith
meh, I've got a ****e load of Arturia hardware - the only problem I ever had was the Minibrute keys, and they replaced the whole synth with a new one, no questions asked.

I'm pre-ordering this sucker - it will be an excellent tool.
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaintjohn View Post
The website says:

So it looks like you (and a lot of us!) could be in luck. Indeed an extra, unexpected bonus.
as i’m sure most of you know there are ZERO cv to MIDI boxes in the 100 dollar price range which has baffled me.
hard to believe the parts and tech are that expensive in 2016

I really hope this thing isn’t a POS like all the other arturia gear
I sold my minibrute to a friend and bought a BS2 which i find a lot more fun and useful.
my friend hates the mini too and is mad at me for selling it to him
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranzee View Post
meh, I've got a ****e load of Arturia hardware - the only problem I ever had was the Minibrute keys, and they replaced the whole synth with a new one, no questions asked.

I'm pre-ordering this sucker - it will be an excellent tool.
you got a ****e load, I got a load of ****e just goes to show YMMV

glad someone's out on the bleedin' edge though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez View Post
I'm looking at it this way: I know that they've been hit and miss on hardware. It's all been "hit" for me, but that reputation has kept me from buying anything much beyond $100 from Arturia. I'd love to get one of the big KeyLabs, but reviews are so mixed. I'd love to be first in line for the MatrixBrute, but I can't gamble $2000 when their reputation for hardware -- and worse, support -- is so bad. I had one support question, once, though, and got a fast answer (just not one I wanted). So many questions go unanswered in their Support Forums, and to me that's the first place to look to see if a company is changing its priorities. I haven't seen them change yet.

The KeyStep is a relatively small gamble with (for me) a big payoff. But if it is not perfect out of the box, and if it does not live up to its specs, they can kiss any interest I might have in the MatrixBrute goodbye. I don't have that much faith.
Old 25th April 2016
Gear Maniac
I am starting to question whether this thing will ever come out. Just got an email saying this won't be out until early to mid June.

After first being told mid April then late May...
Old 25th April 2016 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbdlugoss View Post
I am starting to question whether this thing will ever come out. Just got an email saying this won't be out until early to mid June.

After first being told mid April then late May...
God help us if they say they have to get the MatrixBrute out first.
Old 26th April 2016
Gear Nut
I'm good with waiting if it means a stable firmware and most of the features I mentioned earlier available.

I really want the arpeggiator to go beyond simple up and down. I really like the rhythmic syncopations I can create with the Bass Station II...
📝 Reply