The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Arturia KeyStep (Arp's/Sequencing/Chord Memory), I'm Excited!
Old 17th August 2016
Lives for gear

Can someone help me understand this -

Does this require software to use any of the features? Chord memory, sequencer?

I want to incorporate this into my fully-software setup, it would be great to have chord memory on a device that's not tied to software. The sequencing looks fun aswell, but again - I want the chord and sequencing to come from MIDI in from a USB, not from any software.

This is because I use one midi keyboard device to control multiple VSTs's and don't want to have to re-route the internal soft-midi chain every time I want to swap VSTs. And likewise, I don't want to have to run yet another VST to be able to use a midi keyboard!

Is that the case? Or do you need to run Arturia's software to get access to features and really this is just a dumb controller (much like Maschine would be without it's software)

Cheers

Edit: also, is this classic chord memory like the vintage synths or is this a "chord mode"?
Old 17th August 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Do you think a pro version with 37 keys will be made?
Old 17th August 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plyphon View Post
Can someone help me understand this -

Does this require software to use any of the features? Chord memory, sequencer?

I want to incorporate this into my fully-software setup, it would be great to have chord memory on a device that's not tied to software. The sequencing looks fun aswell, but again - I want the chord and sequencing to come from MIDI in from a USB, not from any software.

This is because I use one midi keyboard device to control multiple VSTs's and don't want to have to re-route the internal soft-midi chain every time I want to swap VSTs. And likewise, I don't want to have to run yet another VST to be able to use a midi keyboard!

Is that the case? Or do you need to run Arturia's software to get access to features and really this is just a dumb controller (much like Maschine would be without it's software)

Cheers

Edit: also, is this classic chord memory like the vintage synths or is this a "chord mode"?
Sequencer is built in (no software required). Haven't played with any chord features yet. I bought it simply because it's just about the cheapest controller with a true MIDI out, all the other features are bonus.
Old 17th August 2016
Deleted User
BeatStep --> BeatStep Pro
KeyStep --> Bring it on, I'm waiting... I hope full size keys and maybe a way to control more devices with a different arp/sequencer each,
Old 29th August 2016
Here for the gear
New firmware available!

https://www.arturia.com/support/updates&manuals

###V1.0.1.15

##Improvements
* Factory reset implemented
* When in external sync, pressing play from pause starts in the beat
##Bugfixes
* Arpeggiator now properly plays when synchronized from 1 step (Gate)
* Proper CV output when in Seq mode while the sequencer is paused
* No more unwanted notes and silences after switching from Seq to Arp while paused
* Appending notes does not play them instantly on the CV output
* Tap Tempo LED blinks in sync in Arp mode
* No more stuck note in Kbd Play mode when switching MIDI channel
* Very rare crash when connecting to a PC for the first time.
* Empty sequences can now be saved
* Real-time recording of rests does not generate tied rests
Old 2nd September 2016 | Show parent
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
Because everybody is still pissed about the bs pro and the fact they gave Arturia another shot?
What's up with the BSPro? I really like mine.
Old 2nd October 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Just got the Keystep. It has some nice features but I dislike the fact that Arturia nerfed it so that they can sell the Pro version sometime in 2017. Simply features I would have happily paid $30-$40 more for:

-on/off switch
-sequencer/arp on/off switch (with external sync it be nice to not have to stop the sequencer every time)
-LCD display

and a few other things I think they decided to save for the "Pro" version.

Last edited by Ninjazz; 3rd October 2016 at 02:48 AM..
Old 9th October 2016
Lives for gear

has anyone else had random pitch bend data being sent from their keystep?
Using Logic Pro 9.2.1 on OSX Yosemite (10.10.5) with Keystep (firmware 1.0.1.15) connected via USB.
(No, I didn't touch the pitch bend ribbon while playing)
I'm playing a simple chord from the Keystep. As you can see it sent a Pitch Bend at position 9.2.3.77

(and strangely from Channel 16?? I don't have any devices on Channel 16 in my setup)
Attached Thumbnails
Arturia KeyStep (Arp's/Sequencing/Chord Memory), I'm Excited!-screen-shot-2016-10-09-5.06.12-pm.png  
Old 21st October 2016
Lives for gear

Although I appreciate firmware updates the list above has a few expected features that should've shipped and bugs that shouldn't ship .
Beat step / beat step pro caused a bit of bad blood with Arturia ( According to forums / internet ) , I hope they continue to improve.
Old 10th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Hi,
Why MMC transport is not working with Ableton??
Old 29th August 2017
Sorry if there's a more recent thread on the Keystep, I looked but couldn't find anything...

Quick question:
Can the Keystep ingest MIDI CCs (say, from a desktop synth's knobs) at its MIDI in port and send them to a computer over USB? The manual is not explicitly clear on this.
Old 9th November 2017 | Show parent
Here for the gear

FYI another thread I have started about a feature request:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...l#post12948361

Regarding some of the points others have raised:

- Held notes (shabbyroad) mine does this occasionally when driving a PandaMIDI Future Impact. Unsure where the problem is. Mostly happens when I make a change to a sequence and then sync or switch sequences

- Timing is fine. I have not had any issues with timing. Clock generated from a Boss ES-8.

- Multiple octave arpeggios? I haven't needed to yet but this would be even easier if KS would receive MIDI notes from external sources...
Old 15th November 2017 | Show parent
EDIT: I've somewhat figured out the problem, it's mostly due to my particular setup, not the Keystep in general. I'm using the Keystep with an Octave CAT, which has one TRS jack on the back for Gate (tip) and Pitch (ring). I think there's something screwy going on from the Keystep's CV when the Gate/Pitch connections share a ground like that. That's my best guess at the moment, because the CAT is fine when using a different MIDI/CV, and the Keystep is fine when controlling a different synth with CV. The problem is only there in one specific scenario.

ORIGINAL POST:
I've noticed a problem with the CV output of my Keystep. I'm hoping someone else can test to see if it is a common issue, or if mine is defective.

When controlling my analog synth from the Keystep's CV outs, the CV pitch output goes slightly sharper when I release the key (note off). It's not noticeable when playing fast - but if I play slowly and turn the envelope release time up on my synth so the notes ring out, it is definitely there and annoying. I can hold down the key and the pitch is steady, but as soon as I lift up it goes a tiny bit sharp.

Last edited by soundxplorer; 15th November 2017 at 12:55 PM..
Old 16th November 2017 | Show parent
OK, found another problem - the CV pitch output varies slightly with the blinking lights on the Keystep, i.e. if the octave down/up lights are flashing I can hear variance in the CV pitch signal. Is this a common problem?
Old 10th December 2017 | Show parent
Gear Addict

I have also problem with Keystep CV/Gate outputs, when i connect them to the Moog Mother 32 or Tonestar it produced really high notes. When connecting midi from Keystep to M32 everything is fine.

I've checked in Midi Center Gate CV output is set to "V-trig 5 V", so as it should i think. So what can cause the problem?
Old 10th December 2017 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Ok, so i think the reason is that although Gate works fine (0-5V), the pitch is 0-10V in Keystep and -5 to +5 in M32 and Tonestar
Old 14th August 2019 | Show parent
Old 17th August 2019
Gear Addict
Firmware : https://downloads.arturia.net/produc...te__1_0_28.led
Manuel EN : https://downloads.arturia.net/produc...l_1_1_0_EN.pdf

Release Notes - 1.1.0.28
KeyStep release notes
V1.1.0.18

New Features

Set the sequence length using Record + 16 first keys
Sequencer / Arpeggiator “Arm” setting - when receiving an external clock, the sequencer will only play if armed
Shift + Rate: Tempo fine-tune, centered on the current tempo, and quantized to integer BPM values
Arp Octave: Shift + Oct buttons to add or remove octaves in the arp
Arp: Global setting for random mode, choose between fully random, random-repeating pattern, or drunken walk algorithm
LED brightness setting in MIDI Control Center, to dim the overall brightness
Clear Steps while keeping sequence length using Shift + both Octave buttons simultaneously
New Tie algorithm, to tie to the next step instead of the previous one

Bugfixes

Transpose Input Channel displayed with ??? in the MCC - Transpose “All” removed and default value set to chan=16 (instead of “User”)
USB packets now properly sent, solves the connection to a USB host such as the FH-2
2PPQ Korg gate length was 15ms, now set to 1.5ms. Better Volca synchronization.
Start in sync after a stop from master when Midi Slaved
BPM estimation improved
When holding a key and playing other notes, voice stealing is now properly handled on CV out
The first tied chord is now properly played when the sequence ends with a tied note and record had been done in append mode
No more stuck CV notes when switching MIDI channels while playing an external midi device
Aftertouch MIDI channel now follows the Kbd play MIDI channel
Old 17th August 2019
Lives for gear

Someone said in the other thread there was a bug with CV and triggering I think?
I will wait to see what happens I think.
Old 17th August 2019
Lives for gear

I don't like mini keys, it would be great if they released a bigger version of the keystep with 5 octaves.
Old 14th June 2020
Here for the gear

Hi, it’s possible to do with it Note repeat like in maschine mikro mk3 ?
Old 5th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbdlugoss View Post
I honestly think they're biting off more than they can chew with the Matrix Brute.
Good call!
Old 8th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I guess this is the main Keystep thread...?

Anyway, new and improved KeyStep 37 rolled out, plenty of vids on Youtube, loopop's:

All nice upgrades.

Funny that. I feel like I dodged a bullet. Last night I was thinking of buying a KeyStep, but then I realized it was 3-4 years old, and they'd made the Pro version recently, so surely they'll update the original soon, maybe I should wait a bit more... and there it is! Perfect timing

edit: usual "I'd like it in black" request.

editedit: this appears to be a midrange product rather than a replacement for the OG.
Old 9th September 2020
Lives for gear

Here's a comparison Arturia Keystep 37 vs Keystep Original

📝 Reply