The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The actual genesis of this typical snare?
Old 11th February 2016 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
Well, i got basic 909 snare oscillators (triangle waveforms, then distorted, then filtered a little) + noise for the snap part to get a basic 909 tone then i added more noise through envelope for the overlayed noise.
But it was sounding really flat so i kept adding anything from clicks to pops to blips. But still no good.
Then it got a little out of hand and it got really complicated with many distortions and envelopes and whatnot and i almost lost my mind. Came to my senses again and posted what i had. Still no good. :(

The problem i had was mostly with the dynamics of the beginning. It seems to pop in a way i can't achieve in synthesis, no matter what.
Right exactly. That initial pop is really really hard. Maybe someone can figure out how to even get something to sound like that?
Old 11th February 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I'm kinda thinking they layer something over it to get it to hit that hard.
Lives for gear
Quoting myself, especially because the second article describes exactly how the 808/909 snares were made and I think it answers a lot of the questions people are asking...
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by poserp View Post
Quoting myself, especially because the second article describes exactly how the 808/909 snares were made and I think it answers a lot of the questions people are asking...
Okay thanks again. I'll re-read. Kinda just skimmed it before.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by poserp View Post
That's only the schematic look. Getting this to actually sound like a 909 is still a lot of work.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
try sticking Boz's +10dB on it
Lives for gear
Quote:
That's only the schematic look. Getting this to actually sound like a 909 is still a lot of work.
Yes, although the text fills in quite a few details, such as frequencies and such. Also check this one, as it talks about "Bridged T" oscillators, which can be simulated by "kicking" a resonant filter with a click of some kind -- SYNTH SECRETS

I'm putting this together currently on my PC3, will post if/when I've got the goods. I did this once before, but can't find my original patch, so I'm going back through and putting it together again using the "Bridged T" approach.
Old 12th February 2016 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
This is what I made.
Attached Files

0001 10-Audio-69.wav (960.0 KB, 275 views)

Old 12th February 2016

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I suspect this is a digital software drum synth. I'm looking for something for myself, and Sonic Charge Microtonic is looking pretty good ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBiMCccm1sg
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
I suspect this is a digital software drum synth. I'm looking for something for myself, and Sonic Charge Microtonic is looking pretty good ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBiMCccm1sg
Yup. I used to mess with that. Pretty cool. Lots of possibilities. The thing I was missing was, theres a type of 909 snare that sounds more like a tom that I found.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esemjayes View Post
This is what I made.
That's actually pretty popping!
What did you use ?
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
That's actually pretty popping!
What did you use ?
Pretty much a 909 snare, a really abrasive sounding transient that I distorted and filtered to place at the beginning, and white noise. Then compressed and limited.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by besairedt View Post
I think 909's tom is actually the same as 909's snare, just lower pitched, without noise and differently enveloped. The wave sounds (and looks) pretty similar
They are more or less similar

More info with nice link: Synthesize tr 909 tom? | KVR Audio Forum
πŸ“ Reply