The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Kawai K1 transmitting MIDI cc #123 (End all notes). How can I stop this with Ableton?
Old 4th February 2016
Here for the gear

Kawai K1 transmitting MIDI cc #123 (End all notes). How can I stop this with Ableton?

I've been trying to use an old Kawai Keyboard I picked up for cheap as a decent MIDI controller for my soft synths. My band play Tame Impala and Future Islands style alternative synthy-rock so I need a long release on pads and spacey melodies.

However, my K1 seems to be sending an 'end all notes' message after I lift my fingers off the keys. This cuts the sound immediately and sounds pretty jarring.

I've read through the manual and can't seem to turn this off. Is there a feature in Ableton where I can stop MIDI cc #123 from affecting my synths?

If it helps I use TAL-U-NO and Synth1.

Thanks in advance.
Old 9th February 2016
Lives for gear

If you haven't solved this already... try a sustain pedal with the K1. Don't have one here to verify it though.
Old 9th February 2016
Lives for gear

I have owned several K1s and none have sent All Notes Off as you describe. Have you verified that a MIDI message is actually causing the note cutoff you describe?

And are you sure that the synth patches in question actually have long release times?
Old 12th March 2016
Lives for gear

Apologies to the OP, I just ran into this problem with my own K1 -- I never realized it sent All Notes Off!

Was able to fix it last night by using MIDI Ox to filter out the CC messages, along with MIDI Yoke to route the Kawai's MIDI output through MIDI Ox and then to the DAW.

That setup is independent of the DAW, so it should work with Ableton if you're on Windows. I don't know which programs would operate similarly on Mac or Linux.
Old 12th March 2016
Lives for gear

And no, there's no option to turn it off in the K1.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear