The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mfb dominion 1 vibe on Elektron A4?
Old 2nd February 2016
Mfb dominion 1 vibe on Elektron A4?

Dom 1 sounds so good on demos but I'm sketched out by all the posts about problems. A4 appeals on paper except the lack of knob per function. Pretty sure I'd be happy with either. But the sound of the Dom 1 just pulls me in every time I see a new video. Anyone own both? Are they as different sounding as they seem from videos or is it more of a 'down to the user' thing? With some dirt and a little cutting of high frequencies does the analog 4 catch that Dom 1 vibe? Or even get close to it? I like vintage and sometimes lo-fi sounding stuff. Character... Delia Derbyshire, boards of Canada etc. I know a lot of that is down to tape, but with tweaking does analog 4 get as close to that vibe as a Dom 1? If so someone needs to make some videos showing it
Old 2nd February 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by idm0r View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatifictatter View Post
Dom 1 sounds so good on demos but I'm sketched out by all the posts about problems.
All the posts about problems? Which problems? Been reading pages from 2014? . There's nothing wrong with the dominion. At least not more than with any other synth. If you fall for its sound and workflow, get one . You won't regret it.
Checked the big Dom 1 thread in here today and the most recent threads were someone with step sequencer issues :/ also the cv side is something I'd be getting in to slowly. So I'd have no way of testing that stuff for like a year or so, so that's something I'd prob have at the back of my mind, like 'does everything work OK?!' haha. Guess I'd still be in warranty even then though. Yeah the sound is perfect.. Just the reliability thing that concerns me and also a few a4 features I like. But for UI and sound the Dom 1 is way ahead from what I've seen/heard. Just put this thread out in hope someone could point me toward some a4 vids that get close to Dom 1 vibe.. Guess it probably 'can' get close-ish, but can't find much online... Keep going between the two synths in my head for pros + cons.. Tough choice between them...
Old 2nd February 2016
Lives for gear

totally different
Old 2nd February 2016 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by idm0r View Post
They are so different in sound and workflow though. Analog is "shift"+buttons and looking at a small screen with graphics from the 80's, though with a very massively capable sequencer. Dominion1 is pretty much one knob per function with a 3-digit display from the 60's. You don't have to stare at it as much though :P. Modulation possibilities of dom1 are amazing. FM, RM, patchbay, the filter is seriously unbeatable.

Sorry that I cannot really help you with the comparison. Since the dominion is impossible to test, maybe test the analog somewhere to see if the workflow fits your way of thinking? I read a lot about howit's really a love/hate thing with that way of working. I'm not very objective since I'm a dominion owner and am freakin' ecstatic about it.

Oh and about the patchbay: Been using it without noticable problems so far myself. But if you have a local synth shop, you could always ask them to check and calibrate them. It's all issues that can be resolved imo, IF you have an issue. The thing is build very well. MFB has a long history of modular gear, so I think they probably know what they're doing

Edit: You're first post does say it all though... Check my review about dominion for more info on sound etc and preferences in sound experiment etc.
Thanks for the advice/info. You have a link to your review?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach666 View Post
totally different
Yeah, that's what I expected to hear. A good thing really I guess.. But potentially expensive :/
Old 2nd February 2016
Gear Addict
AK has bonkers modulation capabilities. If you get the chance, look at how they create the bass drum patches on the AK as they are very in depth. They also sound amazing. The multiple envelopes and LFO's have huge amounts of destinations and shape options.

The AK is not a massive amount of shift functions to do things, although there are some but it is intelligently designed so that shift functions are things you will not need to change whilst performing; it's unlikely that you will decide to amend the track from 4/4 time to 3/4 time whilst performing, unless you wish to send your audience insane.

Dom1 looks good tho.
Old 2nd February 2016
Gear Addict

I dont see the point in buying expensive gear with its own sonic identity in the hope of aping other gear.

The correct answer is that you need both, go on, you know it makes sense!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opportunist View Post
AK has bonkers modulation capabilities. If you get the chance, look at how they create the bass drum patches on the AK as they are very in depth. They also sound amazing. The multiple envelopes and LFO's have huge amounts of destinations and shape options.

The AK is not a massive amount of shift functions to do things, although there are some but it is intelligently designed so that shift functions are things you will not need to change whilst performing; it's unlikely that you will decide to amend the track from 4/4 time to 3/4 time whilst performing, unless you wish to send your audience insane.

Dom1 looks good tho.
^Agree entirely. When the Analog Four 'box' came out it was my first foray into world of Elektron and the interface of the AF drove me bonkers because just about all my hardware keyboards and other gear have massive amount of knobs and workflow I am accustomed to since back in 1982.

I bought a Sub 37 a year and half ago and have been inspired beyond wildest dreams. I do ambient with experimenting with Berlin School type stuff and the Elektron Analog Keys a mate has, Elektron made just enough tweaks to that 'box' design for the Analog Keys, aside from the obvious joystick, keys, but easier sound browsing and so guess what?

I am waiting on UPS today to sign for my Sweetwater order that just happens to contain an Elektron Analog Keys. Full circle. Will be able to cv/gate my Sub 37 and Waldorf Pulse 2's cv/gate out will then play my Waldorf Pulse+ with it. Will be able to use the AK multimap/external midi button to play my Waldorf Microwave XT Rack and others routed through a MIDI Patch Bay, and then somehow incorporate my Spectralis 2 in this set-up and sell-off some gear.
I would have ordered and waited for the Dominion had I not immediately purchased the Sub 37 when it first was announced. (no issues here,either)
Have not heard one bad demo of the Dominion. However they are just about "unobtainium" here in the USA, and am sure if Noisebug gets one it's sold in that day.
The Arturia MatrixBrute probably has it's name on some cash in my savings in near future (a year or so), as I do not want to play beta tester upon it's initial release and play 'wait and see', and have still been doing that with the DSI Pro 2 and watching/waiting for important to me, bug fixes.

I'd almost say that the DSI Pro 2 is at least a more available contender or in the Dominion's stead, and cv/gate/seq capabilities. However, the Pro 2 sequencer still does not seem to be what I at least thought it would be according to the manual I read.

Sorry for long post. Just wanted to share my coming around full circle with Elektron A4 and purchasing the Analog Keys, having experienced a vastly easier work flow...can deal with small screen.
Like a good gearslut, I still have my Analog Four 'box', and am really hopeful for a future proper poly chain type of set-up or perhaps learning to multimap and incorporate it into the AK

I hate waiting for the pending shipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urgento View Post
I dont see the point in buying expensive gear with its own sonic identity in the hope of aping other gear.

The correct answer is that you need both, go on, you know it makes sense!
Yeah planning on both eventually, just figuring out which one first which is a sound vs functions thing with these too :/ I'm sure worse quandaries exist tho
Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
^Agree entirely. When the Analog Four 'box' came out it was my first foray into world of Elektron and the interface of the AF drove me bonkers because just about all my hardware keyboards and other gear have massive amount of knobs and workflow I am accustomed to since back in 1982.

I bought a Sub 37 a year and half ago and have been inspired beyond wildest dreams. I do ambient with experimenting with Berlin School type stuff and the Elektron Analog Keys a mate has, Elektron made just enough tweaks to that 'box' design for the Analog Keys, aside from the obvious joystick, keys, but easier sound browsing and so guess what?

I am waiting on UPS today to sign for my Sweetwater order that just happens to contain an Elektron Analog Keys. Full circle. Will be able to cv/gate my Sub 37 and Waldorf Pulse 2's cv/gate out will then play my Waldorf Pulse+ with it. Will be able to use the AK multimap/external midi button to play my Waldorf Microwave XT Rack and others routed through a MIDI Patch Bay, and then somehow incorporate my Spectralis 2 in this set-up and sell-off some gear.
I would have ordered and waited for the Dominion had I not immediately purchased the Sub 37 when it first was announced. (no issues here,either)
Have not heard one bad demo of the Dominion. However they are just about "unobtainium" here in the USA, and am sure if Noisebug gets one it's sold in that day.
The Arturia MatrixBrute probably has it's name on some cash in my savings in near future (a year or so), as I do not want to play beta tester upon it's initial release and play 'wait and see', and have still been doing that with the DSI Pro 2 and watching/waiting for important to me, bug fixes.

I'd almost say that the DSI Pro 2 is at least a more available contender or in the Dominion's stead, and cv/gate/seq capabilities. However, the Pro 2 sequencer still does not seem to be what I at least thought it would be according to the manual I read.

Sorry for long post. Just wanted to share my coming around full circle with Elektron A4 and purchasing the Analog Keys, having experienced a vastly easier work flow...can deal with small screen.
Like a good gearslut, I still have my Analog Four 'box', and am really hopeful for a future proper poly chain type of set-up or perhaps learning to multimap and incorporate it into the AK

I hate waiting for the pending shipment.
Thanks for sharing. Don't think it be disappointed either way so I'm gonna sleep on it and decided tomoro. Though I had forgotten about the matrix brute... Part of me saying hold off for demos/reviews on that.. But that's time wasted in some ways so it'll prob be Dom 1 or A4/Akeys this week
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opportunist View Post

Dom1 looks good tho.
Yeah, having an octatrack and a mininova I'vs gotten used to extensive modulation options... That's a big part of the A4/Akeys attraction for me...
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatifictatter View Post
Yeah, having an octatrack and a mininova I'vs gotten used to extensive modulation options... That's a big part of the A4/Akeys attraction for me...
Yeah, I meant bonkers in a good way! Like a large amount - a bonkers amount.
Old 2nd February 2016
Lives for gear

Dominion 1 beats everything and nothing sounds like.

A4/AK sounds like VA (or worse) with narrow sweet spots and very limited modulation in comparison with Prophet 12 aka mod monster. But Prophet 12 also sounds like VA (or worse).
Old 2nd February 2016
Lives for gear

Got both.

The strength of the A4 is the sequencer and the fx. The oscillator section and the double filters are its weaknesses.

It can not reach the Dominion in terms of sound. Thickness, flexibility, versatility.. the dominion wins in all domains. Also more flexible in terms of oscillator modulation.

You can get nice sounds with the a4 .. its just much more work since it has very close sweetspots which are hard to find. The different filters and envelopes look nice on paper and feature count, but make it really hard to find the areas where the a4 shines.

They make a nice pair tho. Dominions oscillators thru a4's Ladder filter (while bypassing the second filter) sounds delicious. A4 sequencing and modulating DOminion via CV out is cool.

The guy with the sequencer has a broken sequencer which probably will be fixed by warranty. As in any production things can go wrong individually. Overall the build quality of the Dominion is very solid.
Old 5th July 2016
Lives for gear

Never had to use the shfit (Function) key on the A4 while synthesizing a patch.

You just push a button (OSC 1, or OSC 2, or Filter, or AMP, or LFO, or ENV) and then turn a knob. In 10% of instances you'll have to push the same button twice before turning knobs. This is to access deeper parameters like the 2nd LFO page or amplitude modulation.
It's a real workflow killer, that second consecutive button press, and I'd appreciate it if you all sign my Change.org petition to address this modern travesty.

But seriously, after a month's use and a bit of developed muscle memory, you start to "see the matrix", and all the "small screen" complaints shed away into the obscurity of your own deep, rich, yet curiously monophonic soundscapes.
Old 5th July 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by redloheb View Post
A4/AK .... very limited modulation in comparison with Prophet 12
Just like every other synth on the planet beside the Pro 2.

So what's the point in bringing it up in an AK / Dom1 thread?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by redloheb
A4/AK .... very limited modulation in comparison with Prophet 12
Just like every other synth on the planet...
So what's the point in ... AK ...
I like your quoting routine. I could do it to.

Please re-read once again

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatifictatter
Quote:
Originally Posted by redloheb
A4/AK sounds like VA (or worse) with narrow sweet spots and very limited modulation
Note word modulation...

Last edited by redloheb; 5th July 2016 at 10:22 PM..
Old 5th July 2016
Gear Addict

They are totally different, yes.
There is almost no overlap IMO.
D1 does massive fat mono synth tones. AK does bleeps and percussion and weird soundscapes. It does sound analog as well but not "fat" as in tons of harmonics and overtones, like with the D1, more like electric guitar with a clean, primitive base tone but crazy layering possibilities and smooth overdrive.
They are both very good.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I like your quoting routine. I could do it to.

Please re-read once again

Note word modulation...

So ignore the question of what the hell a moot point is doing in this thread?

Neat.
Old 6th July 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
what the hell a moot point is doing in this thread?
If I got it correctly. P12 is doing similar to novation or octatrack i.e. being an example or comparison point.

Sincerely yours, captain obvious.
Old 6th July 2016
Lives for gear
I have both the A4 and the dominion 1.
I love them both, although both are very different beasts.
The Dom is a beautiful sounding synth, as is the A4.
Tbh, if you can afford it get them both. I have cv/gate (ab) connected to the dominion. ...incredible sounds and sequences are capable by connecting the two this way.
Seriously, this will literally give you years of fun
Its just so hard to compare the two.

If I only had the money for one of them....I'd have to go for the Dom.
It's such a beautiful creation (but then again so is the A4
Lives for gear

Quote:

A4/AK sounds like VA (or worse) with narrow sweet spots and very limited modulation in comparison with Prophet 12 aka mod monster. But Prophet 12 also sounds like VA (or worse).

Cool story, bro.
Quote:
Dominion 1 beats everything and nothing sounds like.

I think the vast majority of people would greatly disagree with your opinion here.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by donato View Post
I think the vast majority of people would greatly disagree with your opinion here.
I don't think so.
Lot of people here on GS has spoken already. Second hand prices are constantly falling. Both boxes has fans but they are far from majority.

A4 is regularly getting bashed for coldness, emptiness and small sweetspots over here on GS.
Quote:
I don't think so.
Lot of people here on GS has spoken already. Second hand prices are constantly falling. Both boxes has fans but they are far from majority.

A4 is regularly getting bashed for coldness, emptiness and small sweetspots over here on GS.
Second hand prices on everything that has been out after a few years continues to fall until it finally settles in. I haven't heard anyone say they sound like bad VA's. That's absurd. Neither sound like big VCO synths but I don't think either sound like VA's either.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Second hand prices on everything that has been out after a few years continues to fall until it finally settles in.
Not really. Look at the prices of say second hand SEMs or second hand P6s.

Quote:
I haven't heard anyone say they sound like bad VA's. That's absurd. Neither sound like big VCO synths but I don't think either sound like VA's either.
I think you're not following recent VA progress.
Good VA are sounding so good GSers couldn't distinguish them from big VCO synths. And you agree A4 doesn't sound like any of them.
Old 7th July 2016
Lives for gear

You make it sound like winning a popularity contest is a good thing.
Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right. Ask AUX 88.
Old 7th July 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:

Yea, by you, in this thread, without any real substantive information, anecdotal or not.

Let's hear about your A4/AK experience? What did you like? What did you dislike?
Please be specific. No regurgitation here.

Last edited by AdamJay; 8th July 2016 at 01:44 AM..
Old 7th July 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Let's hear about your A4/AK experience? What did you like? What did you dislike?
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/search.php <--- very useful link

Remember, even replying every my comment itt twice more wouldn't change A4/AK sound.
Old 7th July 2016
Lives for gear

Just as I expected. All talk, no substance.
๐Ÿ“ Reply