The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mfb dominion 1 vibe on Elektron A4?
Old 8th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by redloheb View Post
Once again, quit smoking.

Modulation matrix is matrix where rows are set of modulation sources and columns are set of destinations. Definition comes from ARP2500 and EMS synths. DSI P-12, P-2, P-3 have it, MatrixBrute has it as well as many other synths but AK/A4 doesn't have it. AK/A4 has limited set of destinations like say Juno 106 or MiniBrute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by draconis View Post
What v3.0 ???

Have you ever seen a Matrixbrute?

Access Virus? Deepmind?
Reading is hard for you, I got it.
Here for the gear
Quote:
Reading is hard for you, I got it.
And the knowledge is a difficult thing.

Again: AK/A4 has one of the the most complex modulation matrix (talking about normal keyboard synths)

Exempli gratia: 5 LFOs per voice are "LIMITED" ... :D
Quote:
Once again, quit smoking.

Modulation matrix is matrix where rows are set of modulation sources and columns are set of destinations. Definition comes from ARP2500 and EMS synths. DSI P-12, P-2, P-3 have it, MatrixBrute has it as well as many other synths but AK/A4 doesn't have it. AK/A4 has limited set of destinations like say Juno 106 or MiniBrute.

Comparing the a4 modulation options with minibrute is pretty laughable to say the least.
In a literal sense, yes the a4 does not have a view on screen with rows like a table. But that is definitely not how a mod-matrix is defined.

The midi mod matrices as mentioned above are definitely mod matrices. All lfo's with 2 destinations are definitely mod matrices. It's just not visualized like a table as in your example. It is litteraly a mod source with multiple destinations. In a mod matrix you would use 2 rows for that. There's just a limit in the amount of uses per source.

The performance controls are definitely mod matrixes as well. In a mod matrix you would use a row to set one performance knob to a destination and could repeat that on several rows for that same performance knob. On a4 you can add 5 destinations max to one performance knob. But you have 10 knobs. That is a pretty big modulation matrix. Add tot that the ability to modulate those via midi and things can get pretty crazy. You are bit to hung up on how it is visualized. In gui a mod matrix can be visualized any way you want. It doesn't have to be a table.

But yeah, sure. A4 is totally comparable to minibrue
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by draconis View Post
Again: AK/A4 has one of the the most complex modulation matrix (talking about normal keyboard synths)
It doesn't have modulation matrix at all.
There is no such a thing as "normal keyboard synth".
Here for the gear
Quote:
It doesn't have modulation matrix at all.
There is no such a thing as "normal keyboard synth".
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by idm0r View Post
Comparing the a4 modulation options with minibrute is pretty laughable to say the least.
In a literal sense, yes the a4 does not have a view on screen with rows like a table. But that is definitely not how a mod-matrix is defined.
Exactly It doens't even have modulation matrix at all. It has separate sets of destinations for several sources exactly like on brutes, juno/jps any roland from 80ths or say Dom1. Thanks for not being in denial about it.
Old 8th September 2020
However, to answer the the question in the topic at hand. I have both a4 and d1 and it would be very difficult to mimic the d1 sound on a4. Almost everything on the d1 is strangely unique. Most of all the filter which must have been made with some kind of magic dust. It's a unique sound.

On the other hand a4 can do things the d1 can not touch even by a mile. They are just very different beasts.
Quote:
Exactly It doens't even have modulation matrix at all. It has separate sets of destinations for several sources exactly like on brutes, juno/jps any roland from 80ths or say Dom1. Thanks for not being in denial about it.
You are too hung up on GUI.

have a look at the performance controls setup. That is in fact a matrix just a different GUI representation compared to the matrixes you are talking about.
Here it's 1 row with 5 columns per page (they could have put them underneath each other in stead of separate pages). You are talking about matrixes with multiple rows and 2 columns.

You do understand what a GUI means? And that a mod matrix can be present behind a visual presentation that is not a table?
Lives for gear

Quote:
But sure, I'm not here to win an argument. Better things to do with my life.
You are definitely wrong though have a look at the performance controls setup. That is on fact a matrix.juat a different GUI representation as the matrixes you are talking about.
Matrix is not a GUI but abstract concept and it's well defined. AK doesn't have because not every source can go to every destination.
Quote:
Matrix is not a GUI but abstract concept and it's well defined. AK doesn't have because not every source can go to every destination.
It's not an abstract concept at all. And I'm not saying a mod matrix is a gui. Quite the contrary. Read my post again. Carefully.

And a mod matrix can simply have set sources that can go to multiple destinations. The choice for the source is made at the moment of choosing for which performance control you want to edit the destinations.

in the end it doesn't matter one bit how it is represented. A4 can do loads of modulations to create an endless amount of sounds. All that counts.
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's not an abstract concept at all.
No need to re-invent the wheel.
No need to continue any further.
Start there please https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrix_(mathematics)
Quote:
No need to re-invent the wheel.
No need to continue any further.
Start there please https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrix_(mathematics)
Again, please read my post. You are too hung up on GUI.

Read. Carefully.
I'll repeat:

The choice for the source is made at the moment of choosing for which performance control you want to edit the destinations for instance. It doesn't matter if this is represented as a literal table or that you choose this from a list and then edit the destinations for that row on separate page.

It's really not that difficult.
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
But sure, I'm not here to win an argument. Better things to do with my life.
I'm seeing priorities are changing.
Quote:
I'm seeing priorities are changing.
You were in luck. Had just a couple more minutes to kill
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

This thread gave me a goddamn headache
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
This thread gave me a goddamn headache
when none elektron users argue with elektron users this is sadly what happens

they know the machines because the web told them

what was completely missing from the entire thread was a single demo of the dom so that any a4 owner could, or could not replicate, pitiful and yet typical
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

A4 isn't a mojo monster IME. But it makes awesome kicks
📝 Reply