The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim OB6
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim OB6

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/product/ob-6/

"The OB-6 is a once-in-a-lifetime collaboration between two of the most influential synth designers in history — Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim. It’s an all-analog, 6-voice poly synth with voltage-controlled oscillators, a state-variable filter, and voltage-controlled amplifiers, inspired by Tom’s original SEM design — the bedrock of his legendary 4-voice and 8-voice synthesizers.
Manufactured and sold by Dave Smith Instruments, the OB-6 features six discrete analog voices with two oscillators (plus sub oscillator) per voice, continuously variable waveshapes with triangle, sawtooth, and variable-width pulse waves, X-mod with 2 sources and 5 destination, a 64-step polyphonic step sequencer, dual digital effects that include faithful recreations of Tom’s acclaimed phase shifter and ring , a full-featured arpeggiator, and a powerful, in-your-face, sonic signature like no other instrument.
This analog is packed into a four-octave, semi-weighted keyboard with velocity and channel aftertouch, making it perfect for stage or studio."

Last edited by wendell r.; 28th January 2016 at 07:56 PM..
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

first
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

Since this was a collaboration with Dave Smith it will probably have MIDI!
Old 21st January 2016
Gear Nut

HOLY!!!!
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

£2,249 according to the link.

sold.
Old 21st January 2016
Gear Maniac

Seriously a great time to be alive
Old 21st January 2016
A.M
Gear Head

you win again dave, time to commence wallet preparations.
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

Bwahaha 4 octave Keybed again!

Yup figured it would use the SEM filter from the Pro 2.
Old 21st January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogberto View Post
£2,249 according to the link.

sold.
Might as well jump (jump!) at that price.
Old 21st January 2016
Gear Maniac
So for the ob inexpierienced, what should I expect to be different from the regular Dave smith offerings? I know my prophet is pretty brassy, my moog is warm and does amazing bass, what's ob famous for?
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

!!!
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

Finally, cover bands can play "Jump" without getting burnt at the stake. $3k seems right for a Tom/Dave love child.
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

Interesting. was not expecting another 6-voice VCO synth by them.. ?!!
Old 21st January 2016
Gear Maniac

This is for me! Excellent.

''a 64-step polyphonic step sequencer, dual digital effects that include faithful recreations of Tom’s acclaimed phase shifter and ring modulator'',.
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

Dave Smith is a stand-up guy! To work with Tom Oberheim - a former serious competitor - is pretty cool. By using Dave's R&D and manufacturing facilities he was able to get a more mainstream (as opposed to the SEM) product to market and hopefully without months/years of backorder delays. I'm actually surprised this hadn't happened sooner. It might be interesting to see if Dave collaborates with other synth "legends" to release updated versions of classics.

I can't wait to hear it!
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

I find this an absolutely astonishing collaboration. I'm even more stunned than last year.

Last edited by wendell r.; 21st January 2016 at 03:22 PM..
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

I love the Oberheim sound ... This is great news ... and confirms a few rumours that I read.

Australians will see this in 2017. Time to move to the U.S.
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

Could this be seen as a P6 with Oberheim filter? Or do you think the VCOs are reworked as well?
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

So people guessed right, this is cool!
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch101 View Post
what's ob famous for?
Everything. As in, "Every position of every control on SEM/OBX is in one huge sweet spot". This will be IMveryHO biggest test for OB6: will it so effortlessly sound so great what ever you do to it, as it's predecessors did? Regardless of this issue, OB6 is new and undisputed king of poly analog kingdom, that goes without saying.
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

Really looking forward to hearing this...
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

OMG!!!!

too bad about the 4 octaves though. did anybody screencap it??
Old 21st January 2016
Gear Maniac
Yeeeessssss!
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundTound View Post
Seriously a great time to be alive
Man... this might be the last expensive a$$ overpriced synth he sells if the likes of Korg keep doing what they're doing. Nobody but diehard gear headz will buy another 6 voice poly when you got a 4 voice with similar specs over there... for 500. Can you imagine if Korg put 6 times the effort in the Minilogue but sold it for $3000? It would come with a personal bodyguard to keep your wife/girlfriend away for 2 weeks.
Old 21st January 2016
Here for the gear
I'm really looking forward to hearing that. (And seeing it)
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

Really excited about this
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear
buying this and matrixbrute.... thats the first 2 albums made in my head!
Old 21st January 2016
Gear Maniac
Somewhat agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Other Guy View Post
Man... this might be the last expensive a$$ overpriced synth he sells if the likes of Korg keep doing what they're doing. Nobody but diehard gear headz will buy another 6 voice poly when you got a 4 voice with similar specs over there... for 500. Can you imagine if Korg put 6 times the effort in the Minilogue but sold it for $3000? It would come with a personal bodyguard to keep your wife/girlfriend away for 2 weeks.
I would say it is not over priced, but Korg can produce that cheap because it is pretty big company compare to dsi, isn't it?

I am worrying that if yamaha, roland, and korg decied to keep develope synth for very affordable price thaf might kill other companies like Dsi, waldorf and few others. Just saying.

I came from South korea and saw how samsung and hyundai dominated little companies, and I don't think that is good for us because we need variety for sure.
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

This is so strange...why a competing product with his own Prophet 6 ?
For Tom it is of course a win situation , everybody knows the manufacturing part is not his best side.
Old 21st January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by zawinul View Post
buying this and matrixbrute.... thats the first 2 albums made in my head!
Slutty setup, indeed!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search