The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim OB6
Old 5th March 2016
  #2701
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus102 View Post
Am I the only one who is really annoyed by the 1 LFO thing? I feel like having only 1 dedicated LFO really limits what you can do. Even with my Mono/Poly, there are 2, and I can do a lot with that.

I guess the 2nd VCO doubles as an LFO, but still that leaves you with only one usable VCO.
One more LFO would have been good, but it's not that bad when you consider that OSC1 has a sub as well. On the OB-6 it's a square. So you can have two oscillators per voice with two LFOs, although you're limited to one of them being an octave down square wave.

I wonder if the sub osc on the OB-6 is affected by pulse width modulation. Probably not.
Old 5th March 2016
  #2702
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkDX7 View Post
Ya wish it had more LFOs. I also wish it had a full keybed and a few more voices.

Seems like the voices are just on those cards shouldn't have been to hard to just add a bigger main board and plug in a few more.

I still have one on order but if a new OB8 comes out with big keybed and more voices the OB6 will be sold.

I have this sneaking suspicion that these P6 OB6 were to test the waters of selling a full analog poly again for DSI. I wonder if we won't see 8+ voice full keybed version of these in the future. Dave seems to like lots of voices most his older designs are 5 octave with 8+ voice then all of a sudden everything is cut down and 6 voice. I wonder if there is something in the works that will surprise everyone in a few years from them.
This and P-6 are full analog polys. Jupiter 8 had 1 lfo, Odyssey had one lfo, P-5 did (plus polymod), Jupiter 4 did , Minimoog model d did, Original OBX did, CS 80 had one and now costs 15 grand. Original 4/8 voice had 4 octave keys, JP4 did, OB-SX had 4 octaves. OB-6 is what it is .End of.
Old 5th March 2016
  #2703
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryankraft View Post
This and P-6 are full analog polys. Jupiter 8 had 1 lfo, Odyssey had one lfo, P-5 did (plus polymod), Jupiter 4 did , Minimoog model d did, Original OBX did, CS 80 had one and now costs 15 grand. OB-6 is what it is .End of.
Not exactly true about the CS-80. It had separate PWM for each oscillator, and ring mod, in addition to the LFO (sub).
Old 5th March 2016
  #2704
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus102 View Post
Am I the only one who is really annoyed by the 1 LFO thing? I feel like having only 1 dedicated LFO really limits what you can do. Even with my Mono/Poly, there are 2, and I can do a lot with that.

I guess the 2nd VCO doubles as an LFO, but still that leaves you with only one usable VCO.

Considering the OB8 had 3 LFOs, I feel like this is a major letdown. I may actually just save the additional $500-700 and get a used OB8 instead. But the presets and reliability of the OB6 almost gives it an edge. pwinfladfnsvaljhdnsfvlaehjfv

Korg Mono/Poly..... They should have concentrated on getting it to sound any good first before adding an extra lfo......... OB-8 is curtis based.... OB-6 is discrete.
Old 5th March 2016
  #2705
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fay Smearing View Post
The OB8 was much bigger and heavier, so it could cope well enough with the torque reaction when the multiple LFOs in an analogue synth suddenly speed up or slow down.

In smaller modern analogues like the OB6, multiple LFOs could flip the keyboard off its stand, much like revving an old Airhead BMW Boxer twin in neutral on the sidestand, leading to the risk of damage.

Using the second oscillator as a modulation source doesn't pose the same problem, because the two oscillators rotate in opposite directions to somewhat cancel both torque reaction and gyroscopic effect, somewhat like the twin contra-rotating crankshafts in some older race bikes. When some of the riders complained about the change from two rear shocks/springs to one, the designers offered some degree of compensation by using the airbox as a helmholtz resonator.

Some marinas had to ban bands from using a Hammond B3 when playing gigs on smaller boats, after a party to christen a small yacht ended before it started when the keyboard player switched on the tonewheel generator and capsized the boat.

Way more people need to appreciate that designers have to take all sorts of things you'd never even think of into account when they set out to build something new.
This might be the best comment I've ever seen on here.
Old 5th March 2016
  #2706
Lives for gear
 
bobule's Avatar
 

Honestly I think when any of you actually get a chance to play on one all your worries about short keyboard, single lfo whatever will fade away.
This thing sounds and feels right, the filter is really lively and leaps out of the speakers when you crank the res. It's inspiring to play and easy to dial in a great sound.
I am a long time DSI user and I too was a touch disappointed about the limited modulation and lack of modwheel amount as I could not do all my usual tricks.
I am always keen to do patches but I never considered I would want to buy one.. until I played it.

Editing the hours of recordings I took of the OB-6 really underlined for me what a great sounding synth this is. I did not come across a sound I did not like, the only thing lacking was my chops.
Now I am moving heaven and earth to raise the funds to buy one!

I am thinking you could use an external source in either the filter control port or the amp control port to free up the lfo for other things anyway...
Old 5th March 2016
  #2707
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by _AJL_ View Post
Not exactly true about the CS-80. It had separate PWM for each oscillator, and ring mod, in addition to the LFO (sub).
OB-6 has a ring mod....... So what about the other synths i've mentioned...

OB-6 and P-6 have polymod.
Old 5th March 2016
  #2708
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobule View Post
Honestly I think when any of you actually get a chance to play on one all your worries about short keyboard, single lfo whatever will fade away.
This thing sounds and feels right, the filter is really lively and leaps out of the speakers when you crank the res. It's inspiring to play and easy to dial in a great sound.
I am a long time DSI user and I too was a touch disappointed about the limited modulation and lack of modwheel amount as I could not do all my usual tricks.
I am always keen to do patches but I never considered I would want to buy one.. until I played it.

Editing the hours of recordings I took of the OB-6 really underlined for me what a great sounding synth this is. I did not come across a sound I did not like, the only thing lacking was my chops.
Now I am moving heaven and earth to raise the funds to buy one!

I am thinking you could use an external source in either the filter control port or the amp control port to free up the lfo for other things anyway...
Well...I own a Prophet-6, and I regularly find myself wishing it had another octave on the keyboard. But that definitely isn't a deal breaker for it. Not even close. The additions would be nice, and maybe their next project will be an 8-voice, 5 octave analog poly with more modulation, etc. But for now, these are the best synths on the market, without question.
Old 5th March 2016
  #2709
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryankraft View Post
OB-6 has a ring mod....... So what about the other synths i've mentioned...

OB-6 and P-6 have polymod.

I agree with your post, just a small point. I figured out before that a new CS-80 would cost $27,000 adjusted for inflation. So it's in a different category.
Old 5th March 2016
  #2710
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by _AJL_ View Post
I agree with your post, just a small point. I figured out before that a new CS-80 would cost $27,000 adjusted for inflation. So it's in a different category.
Remember a while back when this synthex rebuild project was announced and was cancelled due to lack of orders. Probably didn't help that they didn't
t have a new up and running unit to demo but still so many people didn't put their money where their mouth was.Dave Smith has done his home work... The P-6 and OB-6 fit the price bracket that Smith was aiming for. If you want all the bells and whistles then get a Schmidt at 20k or a modal for 5k.
Old 5th March 2016
  #2711
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryankraft View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by _AJL_ View Post
I agree with your post, just a small point. I figured out before that a new CS-80 would cost $27,000 adjusted for inflation. So it's in a different category.
Remember a while back when this synthex rebuild project was announced and was cancelled due to lack of orders. Probably didn't help that they didn't
t have a new up and running unit to demo but still so many people didn't put their money where their mouth was.Dave Smith has done his home work... The P-6 and OB-6 fit the price bracket that Smith was aiming for. If you want all the bells and whistles then get a Schmidt at 20k or a modal for 5k.
As I've said numerous times in this thread (including on this page), I hope that DSI will soon make an expanded version of the P6/OB-6. Something that has the same features as the Prophet-5 and/or OB-X, along with what's in the new ones. 8 voices, 5 octaves, both filters, split/layer, another LFO (or two) would be ideal.

I'll leave it up to them to figure out how much it would cost and whether it would be viable, but I would sell these to buy it.
Old 5th March 2016
  #2712
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by _AJL_ View Post
As I've said numerous times in this thread (including on this page), I hope that DSI will soon make an expanded version of the P6/OB-6. Something that has the same features as the Prophet-5 and/or OB-X, along with what's in the new ones. 8 voices, 5 octaves, both filters, split/layer, another LFO (or two) would be ideal.

I'll leave it up to them to figure out how much it would cost and whether it would be viable, but I would sell these to buy it.
Just shut up about 8 voices and 5 octaves. Nobody cares. Sooo dull this constant moaning. ..

Days away from seeing, touchING, smelling , tasting and listening to the best new synth in years
Old 5th March 2016
  #2713
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by zawinul View Post
Just shut up about 8 voices and 5 octaves. Nobody cares. Sooo dull this constant moaning. ..
Stop telling people to shut up please. This is now a 91-page thread, and lots of stuff has repeated several times - the same questions, the same videos, and the same "shut up" comments.

Part of the reason you keep seeing the short keyboard rant is because of the rude people who Keep telling the concerned person to shut up instead of letting the conversation take its course.

Seriously there are lots of ways (ignore lists, walking away, etc) to get away from the comments that bug you so badly.

i have brought this issue up as well, and I keep being told to shut up too. It just makes me want you to understand and acknowledge my point more. Obviously some people, including me, feel passionate about this for a reason, so show a little respect.

Most people who don't mind 4 octaves would be just as happy to see it as a module, or with an even shorter keyboard, and don't understand how serious this shortcoming is for many keyboardists, so they speak up GS about that which they don't understand only by telling people to shut up.

Grow some manners please. Surrender the point or argue the point, but don't tell people to shut up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zawinul View Post
Days away from seeing, touchING, smelling , tasting and listening to the best new synth in years
Is THIS the constructive part of your post? Really? Is it because you realized your "shut up" post has no content of value, so you threw in a line of fanboy-ism that is at least as redundant in this thread as the keyboard length complaint?

How old are you?

Last edited by infindebula; 5th March 2016 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: Sp
Old 5th March 2016
  #2714
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by infindebula View Post
Stop telling people to shut up please. This is now a 91-page thread, and lots of stuff has repeated several times - the same questions, the same videos, and the same "shut up" comments.

Part of the reason you keep seeing the short keyboard rant is because of the rude people who Keep telling the concerned person to shut up instead of letting the conversation take its course.

Seriously there are lots of ways (ignore lists, walking away, etc) to get away from the comments that bug you so badly.

i have brought this issue up as well, and I keep being told to shut up too. It just makes me want you to understand and acknowledge my point more. Obviously some people, including me, feel passionate about this for a reason, so show a little respect.

Most people who don't mind 4 octaves would be just as happy to see it as a module, or with an even shorter keyboard, and don't understand how serious this shortcoming is for many keyboardists, so they speak up GS about that which they don't understand only by telling people to shut up.

Grow some manners please. Surrender the point or argue the point, but don't tell people to shut up.






Is THIS the constructive part of your post? Really? Is it because you realized your "shut up" post has no content of value, so you threw in a line of fanboy-ism that is at least as redundant in this thread as the keyboard length complaint?

How old are you?


More LFO's, More OCTAVES, More FILTERS..... I want more and more because i keep demanding it over and over..... DSI will obey my command or else !......like a frikkin broken record.
Old 5th March 2016
  #2715
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryankraft View Post
More LFO's, More OCTAVES, More FILTERS..... I want more and more because i keep demanding it over and over..... DSI will obey my command or else !......like a frikkin broken record.
... and you're no better.

You have nothing to say about the issue actually presented. I would counter sir that it is you who sounds like the broken record - which happens to be a recording of a person saying "broken record".

There's 91 pages of stuff to sift through in this thread, and this is not the first time you've told people to shut up either. Is it so hard to just move along?

And where do you get the "demanding" bit? Maybe some people just want to have meaningful conversations about what these amazing new DSI synths lack for them.

Last edited by infindebula; 5th March 2016 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: sp, tone
Old 5th March 2016
  #2716
Lives for gear
 



Should be a flood of new demos any day now, to settle everyone, now that the synth is out in the wild.
Old 5th March 2016
  #2717
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. View Post


Should be a flood of new demos any day now, to settle everyone, now that the synth is out in the wild.
Agreed - has anybody seen one in a store yet?
Old 5th March 2016
  #2718
Gear Addict
 
musicman666's Avatar
 

I would like to see an ob6 rack....and if you have to lose the effects and onboard sequencer that would be fine with me ....I just want that sound.
Old 5th March 2016
  #2719
Gear Nut
 

Is anyone else going to refer to theirs as an 'Oberheim' OB6 and not a 'DSI' OB6? I know i am.... No offence Dave like.
Old 5th March 2016
  #2720
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zawinul View Post
Just shut up about 8 voices and 5 octaves. Nobody cares. Sooo dull this constant moaning. ..

Days away from seeing, touchING, smelling , tasting and listening to the best new synth in years
I own a Prophet-6. I owned a Prophet '08 before that. I've ordered an OB-6, and I'm waiting for it to ship.

And yet, I still hope they build something bigger and better. Not even close to "moaning". You need to check yourself, pal.
Old 5th March 2016
  #2721
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by infindebula View Post
Is it so hard to just move along to a synth that has an extra octave?
fixed that for you, sir.
Old 5th March 2016
  #2722
Why "hope"? You have a reason to believe DSI won't?
Old 5th March 2016
  #2723
My additive synthesis abilities tell me there will be a 5 octave DSI synth in 2017.
2005 - Poly Evolver
2009 - Prophet 8
2013 - Prophet 12
2017 - ??????
Old 5th March 2016
  #2724
Lives for gear
 
Coorec's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by infindebula View Post
You have nothing to say about the issue actually presented.
Mainly because everything is already said about it.

Main bullets were:
  • Its already in production and will not change anymore
  • there are many other and different options like Modal, vintage OB's, SE Code, midi keyboards ..
  • many are ok with the formfactor as long as it keeps the price tag in check

I understand the 5 oct issue. Would like it too. And 2 more voices, more LFO .. But thats not the synth discussed in this thread.

As a matter of fact, there will not grow another octave, regardless how much we talk.

You wonder how i know? Because all that was discussed for P6 too. And it didnt change (so far).
Old 5th March 2016
  #2725
Gear Addict
 

GS three years ago:

A: I just wish they would make a synth with VCOs.
B: Shut up, DSI will never do that. This is the way things are now.
Old 5th March 2016
  #2726
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
Mainly because everything is already said about it.
You don't get to say that. I mentioned the issue in a P6 thread and was told to shut up. Here in the OB-6 thread I read everything up to page 80-something, then I mentioned my take on the keyboard issue, from an angle that nobody had mentioned before, and I was told to shut up.

I honestly don't care if you don't want to hear it. Stop telling me, and others, to shut up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
Its already in production and will not change anymore
Right ... and how many Evolver models did DSI make? How many Mophos? (yes you can count the Tetra)

Quote:
many are ok with the formfactor as long as it keeps the price tag in check
Sure, me too. But does it really keep the price tag in check? I suspect the margins on the P6/OB6 to be absurdly high, particularly in comparison to previous instruments like the P08/P12.

So what? I don't really know what their margins are, and you don't know how much they save with the stumpy keyboard.

Quote:
I understand the 5 oct issue. Would like it too. And 2 more voices, more LFO .. But thats not the synth discussed in this thread.
Don't be ridiculous. It is absolutely the synth that's discussed in this thread, and the discussion is about design choices.

If there is a synth that this thread is not about it's the Prophet-6, but you keep mentioning that, and... guess what? It's OK. I will listen. Keep going.

And FWIW I disagree with many people who say that the synth should have more LFOs, some of whom have re-stated stuff that's already been said in the last 91 pages, but I am not cutting them off by arrogantly saying that every point they might possibly have has already been made.

Quote:
... it didnt change (so far).
Now that I agree with. So far.
Old 5th March 2016
  #2727
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
Mainly because everything is already said about it.

Main bullets were:
  • Its already in production and will not change anymore
  • there are many other and different options like Modal, vintage OB's, SE Code, midi keyboards ..
  • many are ok with the formfactor as long as it keeps the price tag in check

I understand the 5 oct issue. Would like it too. And 2 more voices, more LFO .. But thats not the synth discussed in this thread.

As a matter of fact, there will not grow another octave, regardless how much we talk.

You wonder how i know? Because all that was discussed for P6 too. And it didnt change (so far).
Well said. I've posted many positive comments regarding OB-6 and DSI in general from the start of this thread. I'm buying the OB-6 without issue. What i'm sick and tired of is numerous comments wanting more and more. The OB-6 is what it is. If you don't like it's features look elsewhere. I didn't jump on the bandwagon and troll. I've been here right from the start of the thread with nothing but positive remarks. I'm still amazed that the OB-6 has actually happened.
Old 5th March 2016
  #2728
Lives for gear
 

Come on new users, shower us with demos of the synth, otherwise this thread will explode with pent-up energy !

Old 5th March 2016
  #2729
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by infindebula View Post
Stop telling people to shut up please. This is now a 91-page thread, and lots of stuff has repeated several times - the same questions, the same videos, and the same "shut up" comments.

Part of the reason you keep seeing the short keyboard rant is because of the rude people who Keep telling the concerned person to shut up instead of letting the conversation take its course.

Seriously there are lots of ways (ignore lists, walking away, etc) to get away from the comments that bug you so badly.

i have brought this issue up as well, and I keep being told to shut up too. It just makes me want you to understand and acknowledge my point more. Obviously some people, including me, feel passionate about this for a reason, so show a little respect.

Most people who don't mind 4 octaves would be just as happy to see it as a module, or with an even shorter keyboard, and don't understand how serious this shortcoming is for many keyboardists, so they speak up GS about that which they don't understand only by telling people to shut up.

Grow some manners please. Surrender the point or argue the point, but don't tell people to shut up.



Is THIS the constructive part of your post? Really? Is it because you realized your "shut up" post has no content of value, so you threw in a line of fanboy-ism that is at least as redundant in this thread as the keyboard length complaint?

How old are you?
I'm sorry but I thought this thread was about an actual product a real synth that exists not your fantasy wishlist. People like you keep repeating yourself when it was boring even the first time let alone the endless repetition. I don't care what you would like, no one cares. What we care about is discussing an actual thing, the ob 6, what it sounds like, etx etc. People like you suck all the joy and fun out of threads..just go and spray your sad comments elsewhere..really enough already
Old 5th March 2016
  #2730
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryankraft View Post
Well said. I've posted many positive comments regarding OB-6 and DSI in general from the start of this thread. I'm buying the OB-6 without issue. What i'm sick and tired of is numerous comments wanting more and more. The OB-6 is what it is. If you don't like it's features look elsewhere. I didn't jump on the bandwagon and troll. I've been here right from the start of the thread with nothing but positive remarks. I'm still amazed that the OB-6 has actually happened.
Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!!!! Sad faced people :-( leave the thread and let enthusiasts actually gain something. ..
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump