The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim OB6
Old 24th September 2020 | Show parent
M32
Lives for gear

Also had a rediscovery day with the Ob-6. It's been ignored quite a lot since my time was occupied by the pro3 and modular stuff.
But boy does it sound good. One big sirupy honey-dripping sweetspot.

Somehow giving it a rest and practicing synthesis and patch techniques on other synths has helped me to now get a lot of different great sounds out of it. Especially the X-mod section. I really like tuning osc 2 to a different note, but still have it keytracking. With subtle modulations, it creates so much more life than the single LFO. Less really is more with this beast, i used to be way too ham-fisted to dial into the real sweat-spots.
i wish there was a way to limit the range of the modwheel. For a lot of pitch modulation the best results are in the first cm of travel anyway

I'm never selling this one for something else, no way.

Polybrute-GAS averted.

Now to deal with the black-Matriarch issue (glares at the sub37 cowering in the corner)
Old 25th September 2020
Lives for gear
I totally agree about the mod wheel. It’s probably my biggest beef with the instrument (except perhaps the missing octave).
Old 25th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by infindebula View Post
I totally agree about the mod wheel. It’s probably my biggest beef with the instrument (except perhaps the missing octave).
Shout out for the Yorick LF Expander which is able to modulate amounts with dedicated Amount knobs, that turn positive or negative, facilitating fine tuning control. Not just the M/W, but AT can be in varying destination amounts instead of the same for all. So, for ex, AT to Pitch can be subtle, but AT to Filter Cutoff more obvious. LFO's too obviously. It expertly extends the OB's own modulation matrix controls and a lot of inherent, but otherwise unavailable, sonic possibilities.
Old 25th September 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by M32 View Post
Also had a rediscovery day with the Ob-6 . . .
Yeah, I think the factory patches can lead to some mischaracterized generalizations about the synth's sonic capabilities. I'm not an expert programmer, so it took me a while to understand what it's really capable of.
Old 6th October 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
I bought both of those items listed: SoundTower for the library, Codeknobs to easily assign however many LFOs in my DAW I wanted the OB-6 to have.
Do you find the SoundTower more intuitive and a better workflow for library management vs Codeknobs?
Old 6th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_moon View Post
Do you find the SoundTower more intuitive and a better workflow for library management vs Codeknobs?
I’d suggest being prepared to buy both but starting with one or the other. There’s also a freeware library editor to try out that’s mentioned that n this thread or elsewhere - I’d start with that for library management. It was made after id made my purchases. If it takes care of the library, then skip Soundtower and maybe get the CodeKnobs, but only if you want the vst editor to automate etc in a DAW.
Old 7th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut
As a new owner of an OB-6 (due to arrive tomorrow) I wish the best bits of this thread were easily accessible without having to read 200 pages.

Guess I'm reading the lot.

Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by placebo62 View Post
As a new owner of an OB-6 (due to arrive tomorrow) I wish the best bits of this thread were easily accessible without having to read 200 pages.

Guess I'm reading the lot.

There is an OB-6 BKMs doc that I copied a lot of the content from here, and other threads into. --> https://www.dropbox.com/s/2s063vn2p9...01.0.docx?dl=0

Congrats on your OB-6!

Joe
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoo View Post
There is an OB-6 BKMs doc that I copied a lot of the content from here, and other threads into. --> https://www.dropbox.com/s/2s063vn2p9...01.0.docx?dl=0

Congrats on your OB-6!

Joe
Oh this is awesome, thanks for sharing that!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh this is awesome, thanks for sharing that!
I was trying to think of the name of that when I saw he'd posted it. It's well worth a read.

Here's the unofficial freeware editor someone made I was thinking of: https://forum.sequential.com/index.p...ic,4327.0.html

^ I never really tried it since I'd already bought Soundtower and Codeknobs.

New OB-6? Don't forget to force the tuning a few times in the coming months when your room is at different temperatures.
Old 8th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Don't forget to force the tuning a few times in the coming months when your room is at different temperatures.
By force the tuning is that just running the calibration?
Old 8th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
By force the tuning is that just running the calibration?
Yes. You don't NEED to do it, and certainly not every time, and certainly not for very many days - unless the temp in your studio/room changes dramatically throughout the day. The synth stores tuning for each degree it's used at. Over time.
Old 18th October 2020
Gear Maniac

Anyone know if its possible to turn off outgoing Program Change messages over midi from the OB-6 ?
Old 18th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetica View Post
Anyone know if its possible to turn off outgoing Program Change messages over midi from the OB-6 ?
I don’t think so. I found this annoying too, and don’t remember what I did about it. Generally I don’t have my OB-6 enabled as a MIDI input device, but some DAWs allow you to filter out program change messages.
Old 20th October 2020
Gear Addict

I have an LFE for the OB-6 for sale... if interested, PM me.

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This is NOT an actual song - this was just a 1-hour exercise I did late this afternoon to boost self-confidence as I'm in a dry spell, creatively. It's also not really mixed, and has few effects other than EQ, some compression, and the effects on the OB-6. It's kinda repetitive since I only used a couple notes (my inspiration was The The GIANT and Nine Inch Nails Dead Souls - only by happenstance not intent), but I spread them across different patches I've made on the OB-6 in the form of loops I made on the fly with the same notes. Nothing fancy at all happening effects wise in this. The layers were my focus, not the notes. All sounds but the drums (Damage2+Revolution) and vocals (Ethera Gold) are the OB-6. And, no, I don't know why the drums got out of sync near the start for bit. Wtf.

Plugin effects include ProQ3, MolotGE (drums), Reverberate3 with 1 single AMS nonlinear IR from Inhalt as the only reverb, Lindel TE-100 on the drums, SlickEQ M + Kotelnikov GE + Gulfoss + ProL2 on the mixbus. The OB-6 just sounds GOOD - but can use some EQ to filter out the sub-bass and some highs.

I've had plenty of tasty Italian wine, and feel bold enough to post this exercise to help show that the OB-6 doesn't have to sound totally "vintage" to sound good. I really like the distorted synth/guitar effect using the on-board analog distortion.

Despite the lack of variation in the notes etc. my ears/brain still finds it a little catchy. Hope tomorrow I'm not totally embarrassed. HA!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ke9tuxef7...roned.mp3?dl=0
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is NOT an actual song - this was just a 1-hour exercise I did late this afternoon to boost self-confidence as I'm in a dry spell, creatively. It's also not really mixed, and has few effects other than EQ, some compression, and the effects on the OB-6. It's kinda repetitive since I only used a couple notes (my inspiration was The The GIANT and Nine Inch Nails Dead Souls - only by happenstance not intent), but I spread them across different patches I've made on the OB-6 in the form of loops I made on the fly with the same notes. Nothing fancy at all happening effects wise in this. The layers were my focus, not the notes. All sounds but the drums (Damage2+Revolution) and vocals (Ethera Gold) are the OB-6. And, no, I don't know why the drums got out of sync near the start for bit. Wtf.

Plugin effects include ProQ3, MolotGE (drums), Reverberate3 with 1 single AMS nonlinear IR from Inhalt as the only reverb, Lindel TE-100 on the drums, SlickEQ M + Kotelnikov GE + Gulfoss + ProL2 on the mixbus. The OB-6 just sounds GOOD - but can use some EQ to filter out the sub-bass and some highs.

I've had plenty of tasty Italian wine, and feel bold enough to post this exercise to help show that the OB-6 doesn't have to sound totally "vintage" to sound good. I really like the distorted synth/guitar effect using the on-board analog distortion.

Despite the lack of variation in the notes etc. my ears/brain still finds it a little catchy. Hope tomorrow I'm not totally embarrassed. HA!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ke9tuxef7...roned.mp3?dl=0
Cool, I liked how it built up towards that nice lead near the end.
That bubbly synth early on worked well, was that a tempo synced lfo?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
Cool, I liked how it built up towards that nice lead near the end.
That bubbly synth early on worked well, was that a tempo synced lfo?
Thanks! Yes, tempo sync LFO random assigned to amp, filter freq, and frequency mode. Also some xmod to filter mode, norm-bp, and pw1. But also I have Osc 2 as an LFO, albeit not tempo sync of course.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I've been loving my OB6 for quite sometime. Doesn't always work in every situation but when you want that sound, it works every time. It's all over my latest project, the opening synth is the classic 007 patch but with the filter opened up and a little extra grit. Enjoy your journey to space

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnEUoatJhYA
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I find the SoundTower editor very buggy. It doesn't always correctly gather the data from the synth, the on screen patch doesn't match the actual OB-6 patch, and saving at that time can write incorrect parameters to the synth. I lost a few good patches that way. Now I always save my patch in two places before I open Sound Tower, just in case. The situation is worse when I intend to alter a factory patch, the software works better when I'm in manual mode. Writing sequences is really hit and miss.

Is the CodeKnobs editor more stable? I'm not interested in the "vst in the DAW" aspect, just the library and sequencer functions. I'm using a Macbook Air but I also have an iPad Air v3 I could use for this. Any thoughts?
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljefe View Post
I find the SoundTower editor very buggy. It doesn't always correctly gather the data from the synth, the on screen patch doesn't match the actual OB-6 patch, and saving at that time can write incorrect parameters to the synth. I lost a few good patches that way. Now I always save my patch in two places before I open Sound Tower, just in case. The situation is worse when I intend to alter a factory patch, the software works better when I'm in manual mode. Writing sequences is really hit and miss.

Is the CodeKnobs editor more stable? I'm not interested in the "vst in the DAW" aspect, just the library and sequencer functions. I'm using a Macbook Air but I also have an iPad Air v3 I could use for this. Any thoughts?
I have three SoundTower editors and CodeKnobs. ST is every bit as buggy for me as you say, but CodeKnobs was the worst waste of money by far. Terrible patch management, buggy, etc. I was making a sound set for the Prophet 6 and had bought CodeKnobs instead of SoundTower hoping it would be better. Had to go and buy ST just to finish the set. Lost about 20 patches in one buggy incident.

I'm on a Macbook Pro, btw...same as you, no need for the plugin, just needed the editor and librarian. I am back to using my original ST editor for my OB-6 I'm currently working on. Not great, but I do a lot backups. At least the layout and look make it easier to edit using for visual while moving knobs on the hardware. CodeKnobs was very difficult to look correlate the visual information with what you are doing on the synth.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I use the Ctrlr editor and it’s been great and is free. Maybe it’s missing something and that’s why others aren’t using it?

https://ctrlr.org/ob-6-editor/

EDIT: it doesn’t support the sequencer which I don’t use so I guess that’s a pretty big missing piece.
Gear Nut
This might be a silly question, but is there a way to adjust the overall sensitivity of the keys? Not the aftertouch, I just want to make it so I dont have to press so hard on the keys, is there a way?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll stick with SoundTower.
Old 4 weeks ago
After hearing that P5 V4 comparison video, I'm gonna go hug my OB6.

Soundtower is buggy for sure.
Gear Maniac
Quote:
This might be a silly question, but is there a way to adjust the overall sensitivity of the keys? Not the aftertouch, I just want to make it so I dont have to press so hard on the keys, is there a way?
Velocity curves? On my P6 I found that curve 5 was the most usable for my (seemingly) light touch.
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooderson View Post
Velocity curves? On my P6 I found that curve 5 was the most usable for my (seemingly) light touch.
Thats it, thank you!
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma Face View Post
I've been loving my OB6 for quite sometime. Doesn't always work in every situation but when you want that sound, it works every time. It's all over my latest project, the opening synth is the classic 007 patch but with the filter opened up and a little extra grit. Enjoy your journey to space

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnEUoatJhYA
That song is a riot!

Love it.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I've had my unit for a few days and loving it so far. I've noticed that the LEDs flash a couple of seconds after turning off the unit. Is this normal?

Here is a video of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hrl564i_eI

Someone put my mind at peace please!!
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusr View Post
I've had my unit for a few days and loving it so far. I've noticed that the LEDs flash a couple of seconds after turning off the unit. Is this normal?

Here is a video of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hrl564i_eI

Someone put my mind at peace please!!
Yup, mine does that as well.
📝 Reply