The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim OB6
Old 29th August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

i have a MIDI question about the OB6:
the OB6 is connected to my MPC X, Midi Out - In / Midi In - Out. Everytime i press the play-start button on my MPC X, it automatically starts the seqencencer on the OB6. Does anybody know how i can avoid this?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bened View Post
i have a MIDI question about the OB6:
the OB6 is connected to my MPC X, Midi Out - In / Midi In - Out. Everytime i press the play-start button on my MPC X, it automatically starts the seqencencer on the OB6. Does anybody know how i can avoid this?
Set global>midi clock to “off” or “n55” (in, not start/stop).
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer View Post
Set global>midi clock to “off” or “n55” (in, not start/stop).
thank u
Old 29th August 2020
This is 99% OB6 on all tracks except for a two note reply line from a JX-8P (Waveaura patch) and a doubling of the bell melodic line at the end with a flutey patch (Lunar Breeze JP8) from the System 8. I also ran almost everything through the Klark Teknik 3rd Dimension for spacial enhancement. Most all the effects are onboard the OB6 and all parts except the manually played melody at the end section are sequenced inside the OB6 step sequencer.

I've had the OB6 for a few years now and as an exercise in discipline, have tried not to use it too much. Saving it for the times when that special mojo needs to be struck. This time I concentrated on putting together a gallery piece highlighting the synth in all it's glory.

A lot of fun to say the least.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindredlost View Post
This is 99% OB6 on all tracks except for a two note reply line from a JX-8P (Waveaura patch) and a doubling of the bell melodic line at the end with a flutey patch (Lunar Breeze JP8) from the System 8. I also ran almost everything through the Klark Teknik 3rd Dimension for spacial enhancement. Most all the effects are onboard the OB6 and all parts except the manually played melody at the end section are sequenced inside the OB6 step sequencer.

I've had the OB6 for a few years now and as an exercise in discipline, have tried not to use it too much. Saving it for the times when that special mojo needs to be struck. This time I concentrated on putting together a gallery piece highlighting the synth in all it's glory.

A lot of fun to say the least.
Very nice.
Some great bell sounds and bass hits.
Old 19th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
It’s at the start of every Retrosound video.
I think it’s a sample or something FM.
Taurus - VP330 - DX7II

Old 20th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Lesson learned or why I feel stupid......

So I was struggling with the filter on my OB6. It seemed the filter Frequency knob had absolutely no effect unless the Filter Env amount was set towards the negative side. So I broke out the manual and read about the Filter and that the Filter env amount was bipolar, which I thought i already knew quite well, and couldn't figure out why it was behaving this way and thought surely this cant be how this was supposed to work (or not work in this case). So then while leaning forward I stepped on an expression pedal on the floor and the filter changed. Duh.... I had the pedal all the way open and it is plugged into the Filter Expression jack so in this case the pedal overides the knob. I knew I was not losing my mind but now im not so sure. Sometimes it's the little things we forget.
Old 20th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetica View Post

So I was struggling with the filter on my OB6. It seemed the filter Frequency knob had absolutely no effect unless the Filter Env amount was set towards the negative side. So I broke out the manual and read about the Filter and that the Filter env amount was bipolar, which I thought i already knew quite well, and couldn't figure out why it was behaving this way and thought surely this cant be how this was supposed to work (or not work in this case). So then while leaning forward I stepped on an expression pedal on the floor and the filter changed. Duh.... I had the pedal all the way open and it is plugged into the Filter Expression jack so in this case the pedal overides the knob. I knew I was not losing my mind but now im not so sure. Sometimes it's the little things we forget.
Indeed. This afternoon a few presets on my OB6 were wobbly. So I picked one & started changing the modulation settings to smooth it out.

Then I realised the mod wheel was half open.

D'oh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogberto View Post
Then I realised the mod wheel was half open . . .
That happens to me more often than I like to admit.

By the way, I'm still on the fence about my OB-6. Yeah, it sounds great, but the factory arps when pressing "play" show me that I'm still a programming novice, and perhaps that's my downfall. It's capable of some unique sounds, but again, I find it hard to put them into tracks, whereas the Prophet-X (my new rekindled favorite poly) and Prophet-6 are more effortlessly integrated.

I keep thinking, "sell, sell, sell!" But I'm haunted by the potential, "Why did I sell?" pangs of utter remorse. Again, with the UB-Xa and DS80 on the horizon, plus the new enthusiasm for the Polybrute, it may benefit me to sell this now rather than later.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
That happens to me more often than I like to admit.

By the way, I'm still on the fence about my OB-6. Yeah, it sounds great, but the factory arps when pressing "play" show me that I'm still a programming novice, and perhaps that's my downfall. It's capable of some unique sounds, but again, I find it hard to put them into tracks, whereas the Prophet-X (my new rekindled favorite poly) and Prophet-6 are more effortlessly integrated.

I keep thinking "sell, sell, sell!" But I'm haunted by the potential, "Why did I sell?" Again, with the UB-Xa and DS80 on the horizon, plus the new enthusiasm for the Polybrute, it may benefit me to sell this now rather than later.
Have you used one of the OB-Xa software synths? If you aren't really liking those, I don't know how excited about the UB-Xa you'd be. If you're not in love with the OB-6, then it doesn't seem worth keeping. Maybe you just don't actually like the Oberheim sound?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
Have you used one of the OB-Xa software synths? If you aren't really liking those, I don't know how excited about the UB-Xa you'd be. If you're not in love with the OB-6, then it doesn't seem worth keeping. Maybe you just don't actually like the Oberheim sound?
Honestly, I don't know what my problem is with this synth. I think it makes some really great sounds—noodling around with it is always fun. I do love those "Carpenter-esque" sounds of the OB. Yes, I bought OP-X Pro II before I bought the OB-6, and I thought that sounded great as well. Also, I think the OB-6's basses are really good and makes me "need" a Pro3 less. But I just think this synth in particular seems to highlight my lack of programming prowess.
Old 21st September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Honestly, I don't know what my problem is with this synth. I think it makes some really great sounds—noodling around with it is always fun. I do love those "Carpenter-esque" sounds of the OB. Yes, I bought OP-X Pro II before I bought the OB-6, and I thought that sounded great as well. Also, I think the OB-6's basses are really good and makes me "need" a Pro3 less. But I just think this synth in particular seems to highlight my lack of programming prowess.
I've never used the built-in step sequencer of either of my 2 hardware synths

That's what my PC (or iPhone) are for!
Old 21st September 2020
Well, I just checked Reverb, and it seems OB-6 keyboards are still going for a pretty penny. Luckily, I don't have to ask for top-dollar, since I bought it at a good discount. If sold, it would be like waving a magic wand and turning an OB-6 into a Polybrute.
Gear Maniac

I think the ob6 kills the polybrute in sound for now. but i get it. versatility.
I love oberheim though :P
i really like the summit these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatWilson View Post
I think the ob6 kills the polybrute in sound for now. but i get it. versatility . . .
No doubt, the OB-6 is something special. For whatever reason, I just never jibed with it. The simple truth is I'll use the PB more.
Lives for gear

Quote:
No doubt, the OB-6 is something special. For whatever reason, I just never jibed with it. The simple truth is I'll use the PB more.
... you hope
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
... you hope
Ah well, c'est la vie—vive la différence!

[A while later . . . ]

Well, keep it up VC/BW! You guys may convince me yet. I've been playing my OB-6 all this evening, and . . . yeah. It's pretty sweet. There's been too much synth merry-go-round for me lately anyway. Might just keep it and just let the Polybrute GAS pass.

I'm really not that much of a multi-timbral, sequencing kind of guy anyway. The PB may well be wasted on someone like me. I usually concentrate on that one sound from my analog synths, and go with that—layer with EXs strings from the Kronos or pads from the new Fantom, etc.
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Oh man literally last night I spend forever trying to figure out why I wasn't getting any controller data out of my OB-6 and into the computer. I had switched from USB midi to DIN midi, went in and changed all the setting, and nothing. I tried different midi ports on my Unitor, different cables, changing the setting in the OB-6 back and forth, power cycling, trying USB again, all different variations. I resigned myself to a dead midi out jack and was gonna open it to check the solder joints but tried changing setting one last time and the midi out was set to USB. I swear I changed it to din a dozen different times but there was my stupid mistake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by signalpudding View Post
Oh man literally last night I spend forever trying to figure out why I wasn't getting any controller data out of my OB-6 and into the computer. I had switched from USB midi to DIN midi, went in and changed all the setting, and nothing. I tried different midi ports on my Unitor, different cables, changing the setting in the OB-6 back and forth, power cycling, trying USB again, all different variations. I resigned myself to a dead midi out jack and was gonna open it to check the solder joints but tried changing setting one last time and the midi out was set to USB. I swear I changed it to din a dozen different times but there was my stupid mistake.
I've gotten into the habit of checking the globals twice when I make changes. I've witnessed the settings not sticking more than a few times. So, I change the setting that I need to and exit globals and then go right back in to make sure the settings are correct. A very minor thing as I don't change my globals all that often.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
As a side note, how well does the OB6 work as a controller? I have an inbound Iridium and have thought about also using the OB6 as an outboard keyboard for it. They are both class compliant and the iridium has a USB host port. I could always use a Midi cable if it's not the best I suppose.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
As a side note, how well does the OB6 work as a controller? I have an inbound Iridium and have thought about also using the OB6 as an outboard keyboard for it. They are both class compliant and the iridium has a USB host port. I could always use a Midi cable if it's not the best I suppose.
I've never used it as a controller for something else so unfortunately I'm not helpful there. It wouldn't be my first choice, my biggest peeve with synths is controls not reflecting what's going on, so if I use something as a controller it has to have something like LED ring encoders or faders and bi-directional communication.

I use the OB-6 with a Ctrlr panel in my DAW, so something else controlling the OB-6. I do like to sit at the OB-6 in manual mode and make a patch sometimes though so I need it to output what it's doing so it's reflected in the editor on the computer and can be recalled with the session.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobustAmerican View Post
I've gotten into the habit of checking the globals twice when I make changes. I've witnessed the settings not sticking more than a few times. So, I change the setting that I need to and exit globals and then go right back in to make sure the settings are correct. A very minor thing as I don't change my globals all that often.
Maybe I wasn't being totally stupid then and can blame the OB-6 for the setting not sticking! Thanks!
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I've never used it as a controller for something else so unfortunately I'm not helpful there. It wouldn't be my first choice, my biggest peeve with synths is controls not reflecting what's going on, so if I use something as a controller it has to have something like LED ring encoders or faders and bi-directional communication.

I use the OB-6 with a Ctrlr panel in my DAW, so something else controlling the OB-6. I do like to sit at the OB-6 in manual mode and make a patch sometimes though so I need it to output what it's doing so it's reflected in the editor on the computer and can be recalled with the session.
Thanks, I probably won't use it in the true sense of a controller, as I will stick to the Iridium interface for main control knobs. It would basically be for just keyboard, mod wheel, pitch bend input only I think.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks, I probably won't use it in the true sense of a controller, as I will stick to the Iridium interface for main control knobs. It would basically be for just keyboard, mod wheel, pitch bend input only I think.
Oh gotcha, I gave a long answer to a question you weren't even asking. Haha. I have the module so I've never tried that either. Totally useless over here.
Old 22nd September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, I use it to control an OB-6 module and it is excellent. The FATAR keybed is superb. AT action like butter. Same for the P6.

With a 6+6 cfg, I also run into global menu changes not sticking or changes in the keyboard globals sometimes altering the module's globals, or visa versa. There's a lot of power in these global settings, but they can also hide frustrations that can emerge at seemingly random times - probably user error, but who knows. Overall it's a very evolved & stable system though.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
Well, I use it to control an OB-6 module and it is excellent. The FATAR keybed is superb. AT action like butter. Same for the P6.

With a 6+6 cfg, I also run into global menu changes not sticking or changes in the keyboard globals sometimes altering the module's globals, or visa versa. There's a lot of power in these global settings, but they can also hide frustrations that can emerge at seemingly random times - probably user error, but who knows. Overall it's a very evolved & stable system though.
Yea cool, I really like the keyboard too, that's why I asked. Thanks! The only real global setting issue I have had is forgetting to switch the Midi clk source when syncing with other midi devices. I've learned when a patch is set to use an arp or a sequencer and I hear nothing, check the clock. But that's more of me issue, not the synth.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Will you use the PB more ?.... You already have lots of (very high quality) synths, Do you honestly think you will use the PB to it's full potential ? I remember decades ago i had Korg Poly 61, Roland Promars, MC202, Cr8000 and a Yamaha 4track , I was far more productive with that set up than the Oberheims, Prophets etc. i could afford years later. Sometimes less is more. I think you just have gas for PB because it's new and to fund it your trying to justify getting rid of your OB-6. Ultimately up to you but the other week you were gasing for a Moog One and were going to sell xx and x to fund it..... Your going round in circles.
Old 24th September 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryankraft View Post
Will you use the PB more ?.... You already have lots of (very high quality) synths, Do you honestly think you will use the PB to it's full potential ? . . . Sometimes less is more. I think you just have gas for PB because it's new and to fund it your trying to justify getting rid of your OB-6 . . .
I thought I would, benefitting from its excellent integration and array of interesting and unique features. My last post in the Polybrute thread was far more critical of it. The OB-6 now looks like a keeper, and after more studied review, I think its tone is superior to that of the PB's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryankraft View Post
Ultimately up to you but the other week you were gasing for a Moog One and were going to sell xx and x to fund it..... Your going round in circles . . .
Yeah, I do that a lot!
Old 24th September 2020
Lives for gear

"Ultimately up to you but the other week you were gasing for a ______ and were going to sell xx and x to fund it..... Your going round in circles . . ."

That’s every single slut on this site, @ ryankraft . Never change, 460
Old 24th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut
I'm about to buy one I think.

How are you guys managing your presets? is there a preferred library editor out there?
📝 Reply