The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim OB6
Old 29th August 2020 | Show parent
  #6451
Gear Head
 

i have a MIDI question about the OB6:
the OB6 is connected to my MPC X, Midi Out - In / Midi In - Out. Everytime i press the play-start button on my MPC X, it automatically starts the seqencencer on the OB6. Does anybody know how i can avoid this?
Old 29th August 2020 | Show parent
  #6452
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bened View Post
i have a MIDI question about the OB6:
the OB6 is connected to my MPC X, Midi Out - In / Midi In - Out. Everytime i press the play-start button on my MPC X, it automatically starts the seqencencer on the OB6. Does anybody know how i can avoid this?
Set global>midi clock to “off” or “n55” (in, not start/stop).
Old 29th August 2020 | Show parent
  #6453
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer View Post
Set global>midi clock to “off” or “n55” (in, not start/stop).
thank u
Old 29th August 2020
  #6454
This is 99% OB6 on all tracks except for a two note reply line from a JX-8P (Waveaura patch) and a doubling of the bell melodic line at the end with a flutey patch (Lunar Breeze JP8) from the System 8. I also ran almost everything through the Klark Teknik 3rd Dimension for spacial enhancement. Most all the effects are onboard the OB6 and all parts except the manually played melody at the end section are sequenced inside the OB6 step sequencer.



I've had the OB6 for a few years now and as an exercise in discipline, have tried not to use it too much. Saving it for the times when that special mojo needs to be struck. This time I concentrated on putting together a gallery piece highlighting the synth in all it's glory.

A lot of fun to say the least.
Old 29th August 2020 | Show parent
  #6455
Lives for gear
 
TheBrightSide's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindredlost View Post
This is 99% OB6 on all tracks except for a two note reply line from a JX-8P (Waveaura patch) and a doubling of the bell melodic line at the end with a flutey patch (Lunar Breeze JP8) from the System 8. I also ran almost everything through the Klark Teknik 3rd Dimension for spacial enhancement. Most all the effects are onboard the OB6 and all parts except the manually played melody at the end section are sequenced inside the OB6 step sequencer.



I've had the OB6 for a few years now and as an exercise in discipline, have tried not to use it too much. Saving it for the times when that special mojo needs to be struck. This time I concentrated on putting together a gallery piece highlighting the synth in all it's glory.

A lot of fun to say the least.
Very nice.
Some great bell sounds and bass hits.
Old 19th September 2020 | Show parent
  #6456
Gear Addict
 
eddy72's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
It’s at the start of every Retrosound video.
I think it’s a sample or something FM.
Taurus - VP330 - DX7II

Old 20th September 2020
  #6457
Gear Maniac
 
Synthetica's Avatar
 

Lesson learned or why I feel stupid......

So I was struggling with the filter on my OB6. It seemed the filter Frequency knob had absolutely no effect unless the Filter Env amount was set towards the negative side. So I broke out the manual and read about the Filter and that the Filter env amount was bipolar, which I thought i already knew quite well, and couldn't figure out why it was behaving this way and thought surely this cant be how this was supposed to work (or not work in this case). So then while leaning forward I stepped on an expression pedal on the floor and the filter changed. Duh.... I had the pedal all the way open and it is plugged into the Filter Expression jack so in this case the pedal overides the knob. I knew I was not losing my mind but now im not so sure. Sometimes it's the little things we forget.
Old 20th September 2020 | Show parent
  #6458
Lives for gear
 
hogberto's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetica View Post
Lesson learned or why I feel stupid......

So I was struggling with the filter on my OB6. It seemed the filter Frequency knob had absolutely no effect unless the Filter Env amount was set towards the negative side. So I broke out the manual and read about the Filter and that the Filter env amount was bipolar, which I thought i already knew quite well, and couldn't figure out why it was behaving this way and thought surely this cant be how this was supposed to work (or not work in this case). So then while leaning forward I stepped on an expression pedal on the floor and the filter changed. Duh.... I had the pedal all the way open and it is plugged into the Filter Expression jack so in this case the pedal overides the knob. I knew I was not losing my mind but now im not so sure. Sometimes it's the little things we forget.
Indeed. This afternoon a few presets on my OB6 were wobbly. So I picked one & started changing the modulation settings to smooth it out.

Then I realised the mod wheel was half open.

D'oh!
Old 20th September 2020 | Show parent
  #6459
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogberto View Post
Then I realised the mod wheel was half open . . .
That happens to me more often than I like to admit.

By the way, I'm still on the fence about my OB-6. Yeah, it sounds great, but the factory arps when pressing "play" show me that I'm still a programming novice, and perhaps that's my downfall. It's capable of some unique sounds, but again, I find it hard to put them into tracks, whereas the Prophet-X (my new rekindled favorite poly) and Prophet-6 are more effortlessly integrated.

I keep thinking, "sell, sell, sell!" But I'm haunted by the potential, "Why did I sell?" pangs of utter remorse. Again, with the UB-Xa and DS80 on the horizon, plus the new enthusiasm for the Polybrute, it may benefit me to sell this now rather than later.
Old 20th September 2020 | Show parent
  #6460
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
That happens to me more often than I like to admit.

By the way, I'm still on the fence about my OB-6. Yeah, it sounds great, but the factory arps when pressing "play" show me that I'm still a programming novice, and perhaps that's my downfall. It's capable of some unique sounds, but again, I find it hard to put them into tracks, whereas the Prophet-X (my new rekindled favorite poly) and Prophet-6 are more effortlessly integrated.

I keep thinking "sell, sell, sell!" But I'm haunted by the potential, "Why did I sell?" Again, with the UB-Xa and DS80 on the horizon, plus the new enthusiasm for the Polybrute, it may benefit me to sell this now rather than later.
Have you used one of the OB-Xa software synths? If you aren't really liking those, I don't know how excited about the UB-Xa you'd be. If you're not in love with the OB-6, then it doesn't seem worth keeping. Maybe you just don't actually like the Oberheim sound?
Old 20th September 2020 | Show parent
  #6461
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
Have you used one of the OB-Xa software synths? If you aren't really liking those, I don't know how excited about the UB-Xa you'd be. If you're not in love with the OB-6, then it doesn't seem worth keeping. Maybe you just don't actually like the Oberheim sound?
Honestly, I don't know what my problem is with this synth. I think it makes some really great sounds—noodling around with it is always fun. I do love those "Carpenter-esque" sounds of the OB. Yes, I bought OP-X Pro II before I bought the OB-6, and I thought that sounded great as well. Also, I think the OB-6's basses are really good and makes me "need" a Pro3 less. But I just think this synth in particular seems to highlight my lack of programming prowess.
Old 21st September 2020 | Show parent
  #6462
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
Honestly, I don't know what my problem is with this synth. I think it makes some really great sounds—noodling around with it is always fun. I do love those "Carpenter-esque" sounds of the OB. Yes, I bought OP-X Pro II before I bought the OB-6, and I thought that sounded great as well. Also, I think the OB-6's basses are really good and makes me "need" a Pro3 less. But I just think this synth in particular seems to highlight my lack of programming prowess.
I've never used the built-in step sequencer of either of my 2 hardware synths

That's what my PC (or iPhone) are for!
Old 21st September 2020
  #6463
Well, I just checked Reverb, and it seems OB-6 keyboards are still going for a pretty penny. Luckily, I don't have to ask for top-dollar, since I bought it at a good discount. If sold, it would be like waving a magic wand and turning an OB-6 into a Polybrute.
Old 21st September 2020 | Show parent
  #6464
Gear Maniac
 

I think the ob6 kills the polybrute in sound for now. but i get it. versatility.
I love oberheim though :P
i really like the summit these days.
Old 21st September 2020 | Show parent
  #6465
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatWilson View Post
I think the ob6 kills the polybrute in sound for now. but i get it. versatility . . .
No doubt, the OB-6 is something special. For whatever reason, I just never jibed with it. The simple truth is I'll use the PB more.
Old 21st September 2020 | Show parent
  #6466
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
No doubt, the OB-6 is something special. For whatever reason, I just never jibed with it. The simple truth is I'll use the PB more.
... you hope
Old 21st September 2020 | Show parent
  #6467
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
... you hope
Ah well, c'est la vie—vive la différence!

[A while later . . . ]

Well, keep it up VC/BW! You guys may convince me yet. I've been playing my OB-6 all this evening, and . . . yeah. It's pretty sweet. There's been too much synth merry-go-round for me lately anyway. Might just keep it and just let the Polybrute GAS pass.

I'm really not that much of a multi-timbral, sequencing kind of guy anyway. The PB may well be wasted on someone like me. I usually concentrate on that one sound from my analog synths, and go with that—layer with EXs strings from the Kronos or pads from the new Fantom, etc.
Old 21st September 2020 | Show parent
  #6468
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetica View Post
Lesson learned or why I feel stupid......

So I was struggling with the filter on my OB6. It seemed the filter Frequency knob had absolutely no effect unless the Filter Env amount was set towards the negative side. So I broke out the manual and read about the Filter and that the Filter env amount was bipolar, which I thought i already knew quite well, and couldn't figure out why it was behaving this way and thought surely this cant be how this was supposed to work (or not work in this case). So then while leaning forward I stepped on an expression pedal on the floor and the filter changed. Duh.... I had the pedal all the way open and it is plugged into the Filter Expression jack so in this case the pedal overides the knob. I knew I was not losing my mind but now im not so sure. Sometimes it's the little things we forget.
Oh man literally last night I spend forever trying to figure out why I wasn't getting any controller data out of my OB-6 and into the computer. I had switched from USB midi to DIN midi, went in and changed all the setting, and nothing. I tried different midi ports on my Unitor, different cables, changing the setting in the OB-6 back and forth, power cycling, trying USB again, all different variations. I resigned myself to a dead midi out jack and was gonna open it to check the solder joints but tried changing setting one last time and the midi out was set to USB. I swear I changed it to din a dozen different times but there was my stupid mistake.
Old 21st September 2020 | Show parent
  #6469
Quote:
Originally Posted by signalpudding View Post
Oh man literally last night I spend forever trying to figure out why I wasn't getting any controller data out of my OB-6 and into the computer. I had switched from USB midi to DIN midi, went in and changed all the setting, and nothing. I tried different midi ports on my Unitor, different cables, changing the setting in the OB-6 back and forth, power cycling, trying USB again, all different variations. I resigned myself to a dead midi out jack and was gonna open it to check the solder joints but tried changing setting one last time and the midi out was set to USB. I swear I changed it to din a dozen different times but there was my stupid mistake.
I've gotten into the habit of checking the globals twice when I make changes. I've witnessed the settings not sticking more than a few times. So, I change the setting that I need to and exit globals and then go right back in to make sure the settings are correct. A very minor thing as I don't change my globals all that often.
Old 21st September 2020 | Show parent
  #6470
Gear Maniac
 
Synthetica's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by signalpudding View Post
Oh man literally last night I spend forever trying to figure out why I wasn't getting any controller data out of my OB-6 and into the computer. I had switched from USB midi to DIN midi, went in and changed all the setting, and nothing. I tried different midi ports on my Unitor, different cables, changing the setting in the OB-6 back and forth, power cycling, trying USB again, all different variations. I resigned myself to a dead midi out jack and was gonna open it to check the solder joints but tried changing setting one last time and the midi out was set to USB. I swear I changed it to din a dozen different times but there was my stupid mistake.
As a side note, how well does the OB6 work as a controller? I have an inbound Iridium and have thought about also using the OB6 as an outboard keyboard for it. They are both class compliant and the iridium has a USB host port. I could always use a Midi cable if it's not the best I suppose.
Old 21st September 2020 | Show parent
  #6471
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetica View Post
As a side note, how well does the OB6 work as a controller? I have an inbound Iridium and have thought about also using the OB6 as an outboard keyboard for it. They are both class compliant and the iridium has a USB host port. I could always use a Midi cable if it's not the best I suppose.
I've never used it as a controller for something else so unfortunately I'm not helpful there. It wouldn't be my first choice, my biggest peeve with synths is controls not reflecting what's going on, so if I use something as a controller it has to have something like LED ring encoders or faders and bi-directional communication.

I use the OB-6 with a Ctrlr panel in my DAW, so something else controlling the OB-6. I do like to sit at the OB-6 in manual mode and make a patch sometimes though so I need it to output what it's doing so it's reflected in the editor on the computer and can be recalled with the session.
Old 21st September 2020 | Show parent
  #6472
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobustAmerican View Post
I've gotten into the habit of checking the globals twice when I make changes. I've witnessed the settings not sticking more than a few times. So, I change the setting that I need to and exit globals and then go right back in to make sure the settings are correct. A very minor thing as I don't change my globals all that often.
Maybe I wasn't being totally stupid then and can blame the OB-6 for the setting not sticking! Thanks!
Old 21st September 2020 | Show parent
  #6473
Gear Maniac
 
Synthetica's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by signalpudding View Post
I've never used it as a controller for something else so unfortunately I'm not helpful there. It wouldn't be my first choice, my biggest peeve with synths is controls not reflecting what's going on, so if I use something as a controller it has to have something like LED ring encoders or faders and bi-directional communication.

I use the OB-6 with a Ctrlr panel in my DAW, so something else controlling the OB-6. I do like to sit at the OB-6 in manual mode and make a patch sometimes though so I need it to output what it's doing so it's reflected in the editor on the computer and can be recalled with the session.
Thanks, I probably won't use it in the true sense of a controller, as I will stick to the Iridium interface for main control knobs. It would basically be for just keyboard, mod wheel, pitch bend input only I think.
Old 21st September 2020 | Show parent
  #6474
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetica View Post
Thanks, I probably won't use it in the true sense of a controller, as I will stick to the Iridium interface for main control knobs. It would basically be for just keyboard, mod wheel, pitch bend input only I think.
Oh gotcha, I gave a long answer to a question you weren't even asking. Haha. I have the module so I've never tried that either. Totally useless over here.
Old 22nd September 2020 | Show parent
  #6475
Lives for gear
 
string6theory's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetica View Post
As a side note, how well does the OB6 work as a controller? I have an inbound Iridium and have thought about also using the OB6 as an outboard keyboard for it. They are both class compliant and the iridium has a USB host port. I could always use a Midi cable if it's not the best I suppose.
Well, I use it to control an OB-6 module and it is excellent. The FATAR keybed is superb. AT action like butter. Same for the P6.

With a 6+6 cfg, I also run into global menu changes not sticking or changes in the keyboard globals sometimes altering the module's globals, or visa versa. There's a lot of power in these global settings, but they can also hide frustrations that can emerge at seemingly random times - probably user error, but who knows. Overall it's a very evolved & stable system though.
Old 22nd September 2020 | Show parent
  #6476
Gear Maniac
 
Synthetica's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
Well, I use it to control an OB-6 module and it is excellent. The FATAR keybed is superb. AT action like butter. Same for the P6.

With a 6+6 cfg, I also run into global menu changes not sticking or changes in the keyboard globals sometimes altering the module's globals, or visa versa. There's a lot of power in these global settings, but they can also hide frustrations that can emerge at seemingly random times - probably user error, but who knows. Overall it's a very evolved & stable system though.
Yea cool, I really like the keyboard too, that's why I asked. Thanks! The only real global setting issue I have had is forgetting to switch the Midi clk source when syncing with other midi devices. I've learned when a patch is set to use an arp or a sequencer and I hear nothing, check the clock. But that's more of me issue, not the synth.
Old 22nd September 2020 | Show parent
  #6477
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
No doubt, the OB-6 is something special. For whatever reason, I just never jibed with it. The simple truth is I'll use the PB more.
Will you use the PB more ?.... You already have lots of (very high quality) synths, Do you honestly think you will use the PB to it's full potential ? I remember decades ago i had Korg Poly 61, Roland Promars, MC202, Cr8000 and a Yamaha 4track , I was far more productive with that set up than the Oberheims, Prophets etc. i could afford years later. Sometimes less is more. I think you just have gas for PB because it's new and to fund it your trying to justify getting rid of your OB-6. Ultimately up to you but the other week you were gasing for a Moog One and were going to sell xx and x to fund it..... Your going round in circles.
Old 24th September 2020 | Show parent
  #6478
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryankraft View Post
Will you use the PB more ?.... You already have lots of (very high quality) synths, Do you honestly think you will use the PB to it's full potential ? . . . Sometimes less is more. I think you just have gas for PB because it's new and to fund it your trying to justify getting rid of your OB-6 . . .
I thought I would, benefitting from its excellent integration and array of interesting and unique features. My last post in the Polybrute thread was far more critical of it. The OB-6 now looks like a keeper, and after more studied review, I think its tone is superior to that of the PB's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryankraft View Post
Ultimately up to you but the other week you were gasing for a Moog One and were going to sell xx and x to fund it..... Your going round in circles . . .
Yeah, I do that a lot!
Old 24th September 2020
  #6479
Lives for gear
 
jiffybox's Avatar
"Ultimately up to you but the other week you were gasing for a ______ and were going to sell xx and x to fund it..... Your going round in circles . . ."

That’s every single slut on this site, @ ryankraft . Never change, 460
Old 24th September 2020 | Show parent
  #6480
Gear Nut
I'm about to buy one I think.

How are you guys managing your presets? is there a preferred library editor out there?
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 7366 views: 969447
Avatar for lectrojape
lectrojape 9 hours ago
replies: 151 views: 29255
Avatar for znature
znature 6th February 2015
replies: 9312 views: 1121773
Avatar for akajuan
akajuan 2 weeks ago
replies: 151 views: 15680
Avatar for sds1fs1r
sds1fs1r 4th September 2020
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump