The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim OB6
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

If you’re replacing the knobs, I assume they’re like the P6 and upside down, ie the D shape of the shaft is 180 degrees rotated from normal. Collett knobs work fine.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Atlas State View Post
Could one buy sturdier knobs to replace the standard factory ones? Are there any out there that would fit this synth?
There is one modification with blue and red knobs, so they can be changed easily. I don't remember now, whose it was. But it looks superb, by my standards.

Edit: found it!
February 2020 New gear thread

:]
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAXAU View Post
How’s the build quality regarding the OB-6’s pots?

I’ve heard they’re wobbly and not at all like the new Pro 3 which supposedly is sturdy AF

Love the OB-6 sound but if it feels as cheap as my Subsequent 37 I might have to pass on it

I’m pretty heavy handed and want the few synths I have to last the years of twisting abuse
The knobs are not what I'd call wobbly. You can get them to shift very slightly side to side if you're trying to, but IMO it's not an issue.

I generally only notice knobs when they feel particularly cheap or wobbly (like the MS-20 Mini, or the ones with positional detents on the Roland SE-02), or amazingly good (like the ones on my Yamaha CS-10, which is as old as I am and in much better shape). I don't notice the OB-6 knobs because they feel fine…pretty good, actually. They're easy to grab, all have about the same amount of resistance, and don't have large dead zones. Not as nice as the CS-10, but none of my other gear is in that league either.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
The knobs are not what I'd call wobbly. You can get them to shift very slightly side to side if you're trying to, but IMO it's not an issue.

I generally only notice knobs when they feel particularly cheap or wobbly (like the MS-20 Mini, or the ones with positional detents on the Roland SE-02), or amazingly good (like the ones on my Yamaha CS-10, which is as old as I am and in much better shape). I don't notice the OB-6 knobs because they feel fine…pretty good, actually. They're easy to grab, all have about the same amount of resistance, and don't have large dead zones. Not as nice as the CS-10, but none of my other gear is in that league either.
You’re talking about the knobs, I’m talking about the pots
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAXAU View Post
You’re talking about the knobs, I’m talking about the pots
What’s the distinction? It’s obviously the pots that wobble or don’t, not the cap.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
What’s the distinction? It’s obviously the pots that wobble or don’t, not the cap.
Not necessarily, but it’s all good, I feel what ure saying now
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBDA1176 View Post
It's pretty common knowledge that DSI changed the name to Sequential recently, permanently, and that all new stock would bear that name. The OB-6 on their site has shown the sequential logo for quite a while and there must be thousands out there now with it on (OB-6's). Either way I prefer the original in this case
Are You sure about the OB with Sequential logo on the website? I am looking at their site right now and there is still DSI label on the photos.
I have bought my Sequential logo-bearing OB-6 in January. As I was waiting 3 weeks to receive it, I suppose it was being shipped from USA. Sequential logo is also printed on the manual. It has arrived in the DSI-labelled box though.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

The one with the vintage logo sounds warmer.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Perfect.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I did an AB test with 2 separate units and can say with 100 certainty that one with the Sequential logo had a MUCH warmer and more vintage sound. Yeah...that's the ticket!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Question about Track function: Does the track function make the cutoff frequency raise above the set cutoff? So if you set the Track to Full, and the cutoff is set to 50%, and you play a C5, how high above 50% will the filter go? I am having a hard time understanding exactly what Track is doing here. What happens when you play a C1? Does it close the filter under 50%? I have a hard time grasping keyboard track altogether, but the ob6 track seems even more confusing to me. Thanks.
Old 5 days ago
Here's what the manual says about tracking...

Track: off, half, full—Sets the amount of modulation from the keyboard to the filter’s cutoff frequency. Selecting half or full means that the higher the note played on the keyboard, the more the filter opens. This is useful for adding brightness to a sound as higher notes are played, which is typically how acoustic instruments behave. If both half and fullare off, keyboard filter tracking is off, meaning that filter frequency is unaffected by playing higher or lower notes on the keyboard.

They didn't feel the need to provide the precise info that you seem to be looking for. It's more noticeable (or not) depending on which filter type you are using. I do find the tracking feature useful even if it is pretty subtle compared to other synths.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

After two years of pining, saving, and obsessively watching Youtube clips, I finally managed to purchase an OB6. Thanks to the advice on this thread, I shelled out a little more for the keyboard version (open box)--glad I did because the keys are significantly better than anything else I might have currently used as a controller.

Still just exploring the presets and crafting a few preliminary patches, but it far exceeds my expectations. This is my first time playing an Oberheim of any sort, and the filter is truly unique. I especially love the layered, delicate sounds on the high end. There's an almost harpsichord-like quality to the instrument that makes it completely different from anything I own.

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement earlier in the thread. Definitely the most exciting synth purchase of my life.

Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketsofcake View Post
After two years of pining, saving, and obsessively watching Youtube clips, I finally managed to purchase an OB6. Thanks to the advice on this thread, I shelled out a little more for the keyboard version (open box)--glad I did because the keys are significantly better than anything else I might have currently used as a controller.

Still just exploring the presets and crafting a few preliminary patches, but it far exceeds my expectations. This is my first time playing an Oberheim of any sort, and the filter is truly unique. I especially love the layered, delicate sounds on the high end. There's an almost harpsichord-like quality to the instrument that makes it completely different from anything I own.

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement earlier in the thread. Definitely the most exciting synth purchase of my life.

Congratulations!

Been on my want list since 2016. Managed to find a reasonably priced keyboard on Reverb Monday. Waiting for it to get here, probably next week. I also bought an RD8 from the same person as a package deal, so that made the purchase even more attractive. These things are expensive, and I don't spend money easily, so this was a major deal for me.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

next jexus demo is the OB-6 , this will be good.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketsofcake View Post
After two years of pining, saving, and obsessively watching Youtube clips, I finally managed to purchase an OB6 . . .
Congrats! But had you been following my many recent need-to-buy-a-new-Fantom posts, I would've sold you my mint-condition OB-6 keyboard for pretty cheap!
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
Congrats! But had you been following my many recent need-to-buy-a-new-Fantom posts, I would've sold you my mint-condition OB-6 keyboard for pretty cheap!

I'm sure it was in great condition, but I had a lot of Guitar Center credit due to a botched SY77 purchase and some gift cards too. They also just price dropped their open-box OB6s.

Now if you have a Prophet 6 you're looking to part with sometime down the road...
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Hmm...

I could get a 6 month old OB-6 Keyboard for just 2300.-€!
But I already have a PRO2, Prophet 12 Key and a REV2...

Looks like a good buy and if I don’t like it I can sell it for the same price, isn’t it?
It’s like saving money on the bank account but I can have some fun with it...

Thinking...
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandro Ji View Post
Hmm...

Looks like a good buy and if I don’t like it I can sell it for the same price, isn’t it?

Thinking...
You've already made the decision in your head....just pull the trigger and buy! Gearslutz isn't for the faint of heart. When you're on the cliff and surrounded by the Federales, you jump, and hope the river below breaks your fall. The OB6 is a sweet synth by any measure and should serve you well.
Old 22 hours ago
Lives for gear

I bought a Prophet 6 with keys first, then added an OB-6 desktop, and now I kind of wish I had just bought the OB-6 with keys. The Prophet is cool but I’m having a difficult time justifying owning both of these very expensive synths when I tend to go to the OB-6 the vast majority of the time. Kind of a pain to have to sell them both in order to go that direction. But the Prophet 6 is now my main controller for everything because the keybed is by far the highest quality in my collection.
Old 11 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bened View Post
how do you guys store your patches and organize your program banks?
is there an editor where i can move patches around and organize them in the way i want them?

i only found these two editors:
https://www.soundtower.com/ob6/ob6_sa.html
https://codeknobs.com/products.php?id=12

but i'm not really willing to be paying 50/70 dollars, just for organize my patches.

is there another option to do so?
I think you can use the Soundtower demo version to organise patches?
Old 9 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hmm...

Thinking...
Have all synth prices gone up or something? I must have been asleep.

Think I paid £1650 for my used mint OB-6 keyboard version. I see from completed prices on Ebay they are now going for quite a bit more.
Old 9 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
Have all synth prices gone up or something? I must have been asleep.

Think I paid £1650 for my used mint OB-6 keyboard version. I see from completed prices on Ebay they are now going for quite a bit more.
Don’t know about all synth prices, but the OB-6 price has definitely gone up. Thomann has also dropped their flat rate shipping (probably because they’re no longer using DHL and had to switch to UPS). I bought my OB-6 module from Thomann for about 1700 Euro + 50 Euro flat rate shipping (along with an SE-02 and some cables), which was an amazing deal compared to the already massively inflated gear prices in Japan.
Old 9 hours ago
Gear Head

The actual Thomann price for the OB-6 Keyboard is 2.999€
Old 8 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The actual Thomann price for the OB-6 Keyboard is 2.999€
You’re way off. The current Thomann price for the OB-6 keyboard is 2,520.17€. But the module price is now 2015.96€, and that was something like 1711€ when I bought it in October 2019.
Old 8 hours ago
Gear Head

Quote:
You’re way off. The current Thomann price for the OB-6 keyboard is 2,520.17€. But the module price is now 2015.96€, and that was something like 1711€ when I bought it in October 2019.
A screenshot 30 seconds ago...
Attached Thumbnails
Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim OB6-cdea5c1f-63ac-4c83-b49d-650dee077862.jpg  
Old 8 hours ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
What?!
I paid mine 1800€ second hand!!!

Price is now 2399€ VAT(!)
Attached Thumbnails
Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim OB6-screenshot_20200524-155454.jpg  

Last edited by JayPee; 3 hours ago at 08:11 PM..
Old 3 hours ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
A screenshot 30 seconds ago...
The difference is VAT.

Without VAT:
Attached Thumbnails
Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim OB6-screenshot_20200524-210941.jpg  
Old 2 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
How cheap? PM me. Looking to turn my module to a 12 voice.
Old 2 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPee View Post
What?!
I paid mine 1800€ second hand!!!

Price is now 2399€ VAT(!)
I paid $2300 usd for a new module. List price. I decided a few hundred extra vs second hand was worth the one year warranty since I was already spending almost $2000. Peace of mind and all that. Plus I do like new things when possible. It’s the only expensive synth I expect to buy for at least 10 years.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search