The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim OB6
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I can't boost the volume in my DAW more than 12db. I do hear audio somewhat at that level but barely.

It's a 12db filter.

Concerned? I just add a noisegate that fades out audio below 72db on the input from the OB-6. Also takes care of any electrical hum or whatever that might be lurking or caused by the audio interface etc etc etc.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodboyo View Post
oh thanks! really appreciate the info. oddly enough the second post says the ob6 doesn’t have it. maybe not to the extent but it does have.. honestly i can hear it without gain boosted much. i can hear it when it’s boosted within normal territory for mixing purposes. but for the test i asked others to boost so that it was clearly illustrated.

oh well that clears it up for me. thanks!
Yep the OB6 is the same but quieter and less audible. Honestly not a problem even on the Rev2. Don’t hear it during normal use in the mix...and I use it for very minimalistic music.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshorephatty View Post
Overall I'm loving this beast! I have been playing and recording a lot!

A couple of small naggles with the OB-6. I sent these to DSI via FB.

1- Why hold down rec button to transpose the sequence? You then need to use both hands to transpose and can not tweak knobs. I don't care about playing live notes over the sequence...

My suggestion. Click the record button while sequence is playing, you are now in transpose mode indicated by the record light being lit. Hit record button again to turn off transpose mode. Then you can latch it on on for one hand transposition.

2 - You can not create a sequence with a rest as the first note. This seems like an oversight. If I am using velocity I can make a very quiet first note as a work around.

Russell
Yes please. Can there be an update where I don't need two hands to change keys of a sequence. Such basic functionality. So important. I almost always have my other hand on another keyboard when playing a sequence. Most disappointing thing about this synth.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebnei View Post
Yes please. Can there be an update where I don't need two hands to change keys of a sequence. Such basic functionality. So important. I almost always have my other hand on another keyboard when playing a sequence. Most disappointing thing about this synth.
There already has been an update on this(in OS 1.5.5 or later). If your patch has Unison enabled(can be 1-6 voices), you don't need to hold the record button to transpose the sequencer. Just press a key and the sequencer will transpose to that note.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I have to give another shout out to Sequential support for amazing service. I had an issue where the arpeggiator mode encoder was behaving strangely, sometimes jumping back to the previous setting after changing it. The other encoders were also occasionally skipping values. Once again I got a response within the first hour of their business day. They sent me a newer version of the OS (1.5.9), which fixes the issue and improves the behavior of all the encoders. If anyone else encounters this, contact them through the support page on the Sequential site.

This level of service is almost unheard of these days — even for really expensive stuff. This is the kind of company we need to support.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
I have to give another shout out to Sequential support for amazing service. I had an issue where the arpeggiator mode encoder was behaving strangely, sometimes jumping back to the previous setting after changing it. The other encoders were also occasionally skipping values. Once again I got a response within the first hour of their business day. They sent me a newer version of the OS (1.5.9), which fixes the issue and improves the behavior of all the encoders. If anyone else encounters this, contact them through the support page on the Sequential site.

This level of service is almost unheard of these days — even for really expensive stuff. This is the kind of company we need to support.
Great to hear! I was wondering if you'd describe that issue in a little more detail. For example, on my desktop OB-6, I might turn a knob on the arpeggiator section and nothing happens and I have to turn it again. I might also have had it seemingly "move" to another setting on me, but now I can't remember. I'm currently running 1.5.8.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
Great to hear! I was wondering if you'd describe that issue in a little more detail. For example, on my desktop OB-6, I might turn a knob on the arpeggiator section and nothing happens and I have to turn it again. I might also have had it seemingly "move" to another setting on me, but now I can't remember. I'm currently running 1.5.8.
That sounds exactly like the issue I was having. Sometimes I had to turn the encoder two or three times to get it to go to the next setting. Sometimes it would jump back to a different setting after I stopped moving the encoder.

Contact support…the 1.5.9 update should sort this out. For me it also improved the behavior of the other encoders, some of which would occasionally skip a step, but weren't as bad as the arpeggiator mode.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That sounds exactly like the issue I was having. Sometimes I had to turn the encoder two or three times to get it to go to the next setting. Sometimes it would jump back to a different setting after I stopped moving the encoder.

Contact support…the 1.5.9 update should sort this out. For me it also improved the behavior of the other encoders, some of which would occasionally skip a step, but weren't as bad as the arpeggiator mode.
I did, and they got back to me the next day (thanks, Sequential!!!) with the 1.5.9. I've only had a chance to use it for a bit during a lunch break, but, so far so good. It's not like my synth had a major issue, but it definitely made a difference in the arp section already - it reliably, 100% changes the values now when I move the knobs. It "feels" better to use.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
https://www.instagram.com/p/B-QKNRAg...d=9qp0gjwz5h80

80s with my OB6 and Blackbox lastnight
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga View Post
Yeah right, haha! P6 will likely appreciate in value- the OB6 is NOT a Prophet 6 replacment FFS. Prophet 6 is not an OB6. Right now everyones caught in the hype but lets get real for a mo- these are expensive synths and the proof in the pudding as they say is in the eating..in this instance its in the playing and hearing in person. Fine, love the OB6 but the P6 is one beautiful synth and it might just sound nicer than the OB6 side by side, the OB6 may sound nicer than the P6 (to certain folks ears, ie its a matter of personal taste). lets not be foolish. Edit- Moogs next move will be very interesting!
Man were you defensive throughout this thread, and 4 years later it turns out you were wrong.

There are far more fans of the OB-6 in 2020 (when neither synth is the 'new thing') than the Prophet 6. Most dual owners (you and a handful of others excepted) moved on from the Prophet 6 to the OB-6 and found the analog magic we'd hoped we were getting with the Prophet 6 (but didn't).

It was obvious from the first demos that OB-6 had something going on that the P6 didn't. P6 actually sounds closer to P08/Rev 2 in terms of "analog synth" (not talking about the 12db REV 2's filter's ability to sound like a really lame/weak obie wannabe either), both the Prophets sound stiff and more than a little harsh at times, mechanical, somewhat clinical, almost digital at time.

OB-6 turned out to be a real gem among modern analog synths, nothing (not even Moog One) has usurped its tone yet, in mainstream poly synths at least, and even the famous artists who were using Prophet 6's (for example "Gorillaz"/Damon Albarn) ended up moving up to the OB-6 and using it all over their last albums far more prolifically than the 'here n there' appearances of the Prophet 6.

I still fail to understand why some people can't accept that a VCO analog synth that does a BETTER JOB of being a VCO ANALOG SYNTH than another VCO analog synth is vastly preferred by even casual listeners on youtube, let alone owners of both or owners who've had both.

OB-6, filter difference aside, already sounds like an improved Prophet 6, a revised/updated "we learned we over controlled the tuning on Prophet 6 guys" upgrade. If they had stuck the P6 filter in the OB-6 I guarantee people would still prefer it over the P6 because the VCOs are *so* much better, it's that simple. They actually sound and feel like VCOs while Prophet 6 is more like DCOs (combined with a pretty dull filter and a limited range of sweet spots meaning it makes a lot of sounds but many of them don't exactly scream 'use me' in music).

Ob-6 is everything, musically, emotionally and organically than the Prophet 6 wasn't. As good as the prophet 6 IS, it's time to accept they learned from it and improved the underlying "VCO TECH" for the OB-6 and made it perform like we all wanted from a VCO analog poly.

Stick OB-6 VCOS with the new SSI/SSM filter with Prophet features in a new synth and I bet it would be a lot closer to the famed Prophet 5 vibe/tone than the Prophet 6 is. The foundation of OB-6 is just that much better already. I can't see how they could get much more lively without sacrificing modern stability and tuning expectations, but OB-6 straddles the line perfectly between modern and vintage (not too much of either), while Prophet 6 is 100% modern, there is no mojo, no magic, no analog colour, no fairy dust, no depth, no spine tingling reactions, no tickling the ears, it's just a competent synth that happens to have VCOs, it's 50% better than the Rev 2, OB-6 is 50% better than the Prophet 6... perhaps even 75%.

That you personally ended up not liking the OB-6 as much as the P6 and sent it back (or gave it back to DSI after reviewing or whatever) doesn't mean, objectively, the P6 is a better *analog* synth. Maybe it's more useful to you, or you like it can do a range of boring vanilla bread and butter tones that pretty much can be found in any 4 pole filtered synth, or whatever but for many of us it failed as a big VCO poly where Ob-6 just passes muster (for modern) and any lack of real vintage vibe can be forgiven with OB-6 as it does so much more AND sounds close enough to still have the big poly magic (inspiring).

Had Prophet 6 for 8 months before I had to sell it - it felt unworthy of its cost, had OB-6 around a year now and know I'll never sell it. The difference in day to day use, inspiration, even the feel of the knobs and the much better control panel (not just the layout but the extra space between the bigger knobs as they had more surface to play with without that giant prophet 6 badge stuck on the bottom forcing all the controls up) help add up to why it feels better to use and interact with.

With Prophet 6 I had to try to convince myself of reasons to keep it, and came up short, with Ob-6 I'd have to try to convince myself of reasons to let it go. and also came up short. It's not perfect (thank god cos that would be boring) but its limits are perfect for creative focus and musical flow. Backed by a sound that always just works.

The multiple polls around the net with overwhelming votes for the OB-6 vs P6 (often 3:1) back this up. Had the OB-6 come first I don't see this would have changed things. The P6 just never spoke to a lot of people on pure tone, turns out in reality even the Prophet 5 doesn't speak to many people vs Obie-tone, and P6 is an even smaller/tighter/overly precise/colder version of P5... In 2020 with all the soft synths and VAs it takes AMAZING tone and inspiring VCOs/Filters to justify high costs on real analog hardware. OB-6 more than any has done just that. Prophet 6 was more like 'in theory' or 'on paper', the idea of it was better than the execution of it. The people who don't like the OB-6 just happen to not be after that sound, but the people who don't like the Prophet 6 too much.. WANTED to like the sound (me included), it's a bog-standard 24db LP synth with poly mod, it had one job to do... sound amazing, as it turned out, sonically it was outclassed by low end DCO synths from the 80s (JX-3P to name one), but no DCO synth is out classing the OB-6 anytime soon, in fact even the original Prophet 5 doesn't sound that amazing next to an OB-6 so what chance the Prophet 6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga View Post
The initial hype will die down once the OB6 gets into the hands of customers, then within seconds the criticism will start- the knobs don't turn on centre, the wood is too plastic looking, there's no patch naming, blah blah. watch...some folks will never be happy but will be over the top happy before theyve even tried something in person! go figure.
< deleted by moderator - personal attack, not needed at all > As it turned out both my P6 and OB-6 were solid, the OB-6 feels way better though with the bigger knob caps, bigger turning circle, more spacious layout... yup I even prefer that sexy slimmer dark wood and Tom's signature along the front vs the out-of-proportion Prophet 6/sequential badges that look more pastiche than perfection like OB-6.

People ****ing LOVE the OB-6, you'd be very hard pushed to find any single modern synth, mono or poly, that people are so fanatical about and happy with. I Just wish Moog had followed suit with a similar 6 voice GREAT sounding poly instead of jumping the shark with that kitchen sink behemoth of bad design and vaguely above average tone that is the Moog One!

Accept, Prophet 6 is a decent synth and makes some good sounds, but it will never be a modern classic and it'll never 'hang' proudly with vintage power polys (or monos) like the OB-6 can. OB-6 was a freak occurrence, almost like we didn't really deserve it or were meant to have it. Having owned or sampled the rest of Sequentials (DSI's) modern range, I can't see why anyone would buy anything poly from them other than OB-6 now (the rest is average at best - harsh and tinny at worst)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Right. So it's an all discrete filter design straight from the OB-X / SEM era. No wonder it sounds so good. I still need to comment on the VCOs because for the first time i like the sound of modern Dave Smith oscillators. (not that i dislike Dave Smith, still have Poly Evolver). Point is, these new VCOs are really rich in sound, and routing them into 12dB SVF was an icing on a cake. Definitely a classic.
Exacttly! Those who just want a synth, any synth, won't care about the nuances of the VCOs and filter tone, but those who specifically want a great sounding analog poly will and do care and OB-6 has it going on where Prophet 6 doesn't (and as for P08/rev 2... couldn't sell my Rev 2 fast enough - what a weak osc and filter package that thing has... dressed up in tons of laborious modulation work and FX is the only way to make it sound, even then, just half decent; those recommending over an OB-6 for your big poly needs need their heads and ears checking pronto).

Last edited by Reptil; 5 days ago at 11:17 AM.. Reason: -
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
This was no doubt considered by Dave.

I think we are seeing some P6 bashing here because of the novelty value of the OB6. It's totally new and even more surprising!

But the P6 has a very sweet sound to it. I think it's awesome sounding and hope to get one. It reminds me of the Roland Juno/Jupiter and I don't know why. To me, it has a very pleasant sound.

The OB6 is also awesome. I think it looks better visually, and I have always clicked with the Oberheim "sound."
FYI I've owned every Juno imaginable, multiple times, and the JX-3P is one of my favourite synths ever (esp kiwi modded - near Jupiter level with near juno tone).

My JX regularly outclassed and out-powered my Prophet 6 (and def rev 2) when I had them. The only similarity was the 4 pole filter. In every other respect I find my OB-6 gets me closer to the "Roland sound" IF and when I want it to, trick is to darken down the filter (env amount too) touch of res to brighten it again. No it won't quite get that fully rounded early 80s Roland DCO sound, but tonally the sweetness is there... the OB-6 sings. The Prophet always felt flat and hard trying to do anything other than the handful of things it's actually decent out (muted and fairly unlively pads), the Rolands were better at every other sound, another reaon I didn't mind letting the Prophet 6 go, it served no genuinely useful purpose of it's own... a kind of 'chaMEHleon' if you will...

OB-6 ****s all over the Rolands when its doing its best stuff (which is a larger range of BEST stuff than the Prophet 6 or Rev 2 ever manged), I could technically replace my 3P with the OB-6 and get close enough for most things... I couldn't have done that with the Prophet 6, the P6 is just too small sounding, too strict and tight.. no life or power to speak of.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosacosta View Post
Blue LEDs please. More with the design and, does wonders for my extasy high
Blue LEDs are very bad for your eyes and look tacky AF.

The RED LEDs on the P6/OB-6 are perfect. Exactly as a vintage synth would have been before the day-glo-hipsters moved into town.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by akai_world View Post
https://www.instagram.com/p/B-QKNRAg...d=9qp0gjwz5h80

80s with my OB6 and Blackbox lastnight
Gave that a listen to. Sounds great! This is not helping my gas for OB6 one bit, lol.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I don’t know about all that... but in trying the P6 I really appreciated it. But I didn’t connect with it, and I couldn’t afford that much money for a possible slow-burn love affair. It was hot and heavy with the OB-6 from the first time I saw... er... heard it.

Seriously though, for me, the P6 was an intelligent and good sounding synth. But it was intellectual. The Ob-6 was immediately emotional, even on YouTube. In person the first time. Wow. I’ve only had it 2 months but I’m still learning it and have made 50 presets, some of which are legitimately good (comparing to commercial packs). Being an ITB guy my whole workflow was blown up because it sounds so amazing and I want to use it as the center piece and the supplement with other synths. I’m half tempted to sell some of my soft synths now, but figure months more down the road the love affair may cool. Right?

I wish music was my day job! Of course. Working from home every day now it’s hard to resist taking the dust cover off since it’s right in front of me all the time...
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Prophet 6 is a magical synth. I use it a lot more than the OB6 actually.. Sorry but some people here sound like fanatics. Both synths are super cool, no need to diss one or the other, it makes no sense. They are tools... TOOLS. Oh internet...
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlou View Post
Prophet 6 is a magical synth. I use it a lot more than the OB6 actually.. Sorry but some people here sound like fanatics. Both synths are super cool, no need to diss one or the other, it makes no sense. They are tools... TOOLS. Oh internet...
For sure. I was only talking about my experience. And my experience is no more or less “right” than yours, for example. The P6 was, to me, less magical than many of my soft synths (but I also didn’t have a P6 at home for months). The OB-6 was more magical than any soft synth to me.

If I had the space and money. I’d get a Pro3. After that it’d be a P6. And then I’d be able to sell most soft synths. Ah. Good to have a dream.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

you wanna be starting something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBDA1176 View Post
Man were you defensive throughout this thread, and 4 years later it turns out you were wrong.
*I wasn't wrong, I wasn't right. It was just an opinion which you for some reason are dragging up and trying to assassinate my character. Not cool! Not cool at all.

Quote:
There are far more fans of the OB-6 in 2020 (when neither synth is the 'new thing') than the Prophet 6. Most dual owners (you and a handful of others excepted) moved on from the Prophet 6 to the OB-6 and found the analog magic we'd hoped we were getting with the Prophet 6 (but didn't).
*In your opinion, but how do you quantify 'far more fans?' Evidence?

Quote:
It was obvious from the first demos that OB-6 had something going on that the P6 didn't. P6 actually sounds closer to P08/Rev 2 in terms of "analog synth" (not talking about the 12db REV 2's filter's ability to sound like a really lame/weak obie wannabe either), both the Prophets sound stiff and more than a little harsh at times, mechanical, somewhat clinical, almost digital at time.
*Sorry, it doesn't sound like a REV 2 or P08.

Quote:
OB-6 turned out to be a real gem among modern analog synths, nothing (not even Moog One) has usurped its tone yet, in mainstream poly synths at least, and even the famous artists who were using Prophet 6's (for example "Gorillaz"/Damon Albarn) ended up moving up to the OB-6 and using it all over their last albums far more prolifically than the 'here n there' appearances of the Prophet 6.

I still fail to understand why some people can't accept that a VCO analog synth that does a BETTER JOB of being a VCO ANALOG SYNTH than another VCO analog synth is vastly preferred by even casual listeners on youtube, let alone owners of both or owners who've had both.
*depends if you obsess over these things or not

Quote:
OB-6, filter difference aside, already sounds like an improved Prophet 6, a revised/updated "we learned we over controlled the tuning on Prophet 6 guys" upgrade. If they had stuck the P6 filter in the OB-6 I guarantee people would still prefer it over the P6 because the VCOs are *so* much better, it's that simple. They actually sound and feel like VCOs while Prophet 6 is more like DCOs (combined with a pretty dull filter and a limited range of sweet spots meaning it makes a lot of sounds but many of them don't exactly scream 'use me' in music).

Ob-6 is everything, musically, emotionally and organically than the Prophet 6 wasn't. As good as the prophet 6 IS, it's time to accept they learned from it and improved the underlying "VCO TECH" for the OB-6 and made it perform like we all wanted from a VCO analog poly.

Stick OB-6 VCOS with the new SSI/SSM filter with Prophet features in a new synth and I bet it would be a lot closer to the famed Prophet 5 vibe/tone than the Prophet 6 is. The foundation of OB-6 is just that much better already. I can't see how they could get much more lively without sacrificing modern stability and tuning expectations, but OB-6 straddles the line perfectly between modern and vintage (not too much of either), while Prophet 6 is 100% modern, there is no mojo, no magic, no analog colour, no fairy dust, no depth, no spine tingling reactions, no tickling the ears, it's just a competent synth that happens to have VCOs, it's 50% better than the Rev 2, OB-6 is 50% better than the Prophet 6... perhaps even 75%.

That you personally ended up not liking the OB-6 as much as the P6 and sent it back (or gave it back to DSI after reviewing or whatever) doesn't mean, objectively, the P6 is a better *analog* synth. Maybe it's more useful to you, or you like it can do a range of boring vanilla bread and butter tones that pretty much can be found in any 4 pole filtered synth, or whatever but for many of us it failed as a big VCO poly where Ob-6 just passes muster (for modern) and any lack of real vintage vibe can be forgiven with OB-6 as it does so much more AND sounds close enough to still have the big poly magic (inspiring).
* I never said that- I don't know why you're singling me out. Im honestly not bothered, I just put my opinion up, take it or leave it!

Quote:
Had Prophet 6 for 8 months before I had to sell it - it felt unworthy of its cost, had OB-6 around a year now and know I'll never sell it. The difference in day to day use, inspiration, even the feel of the knobs and the much better control panel (not just the layout but the extra space between the bigger knobs as they had more surface to play with without that giant prophet 6 badge stuck on the bottom forcing all the controls up) help add up to why it feels better to use and interact with.
*Good for you, you found a synth that works!

Quote:
With Prophet 6 I had to try to convince myself of reasons to keep it, and came up short, with Ob-6 I'd have to try to convince myself of reasons to let it go. and also came up short. It's not perfect (thank god cos that would be boring) but its limits are perfect for creative focus and musical flow. Backed by a sound that always just works.
*It was the opposite for me, though I said, i respect the OB6, I actually loved it, but preferred the P6 for MY needs ok?

Quote:
The multiple polls around the net with overwhelming votes for the OB-6 vs P6 (often 3:1) back this up. Had the OB-6 come first I don't see this would have changed things. The P6 just never spoke to a lot of people on pure tone, turns out in reality even the Prophet 5 doesn't speak to many people vs Obie-tone, and P6 is an even smaller/tighter/overly precise/colder version of P5... In 2020 with all the soft synths and VAs it takes AMAZING tone and inspiring VCOs/Filters to justify high costs on real analog hardware. OB-6 more than any has done just that. Prophet 6 was more like 'in theory' or 'on paper', the idea of it was better than the execution of it. The people who don't like the OB-6 just happen to not be after that sound, but the people who don't like the Prophet 6 too much.. WANTED to like the sound (me included), it's a bog-standard 24db LP synth with poly mod, it had one job to do... sound amazing, as it turned out, sonically it was outclassed by low end DCO synths from the 80s (JX-3P to name one), but no DCO synth is out classing the OB-6 anytime soon, in fact even the original Prophet 5 doesn't sound that amazing next to an OB-6 so what chance the Prophet 6?
*yeah because internet polls are always the oracle of all knowledge. You seem to be trying to speak for a lot of people. I know of many producers and live bands using the P6 intensively. Terrace Martin, Matt Johnson, Damon Albarn, Floating Points to name just a few.

< deleted by moderator - personal attack, not needed at all >

< deleted by moderator - reaction >

<deleted by moderator - let's change the angle > I can't work it out. Yes people always complain about niggles, rightly so so not sure why you're denigrating them in advance (re pots at least). As it turned out both my P6 and OB-6 were solid, the OB-6 feels way better though with the bigger knob caps, bigger turning circle, more spacious layout... yup I even prefer that sexy slimmer dark wood and Tom's signature along the front vs the out-of-proportion Prophet 6/sequential badges that look more pastiche than perfection like OB-6.

Quote:
People ****ing LOVE the OB-6, you'd be very hard pushed to find any single modern synth, mono or poly, that people are so fanatical about and happy with. I Just wish Moog had followed suit with a similar 6 voice GREAT sounding poly instead of jumping the shark with that kitchen sink behemoth of bad design and vaguely above average tone that is the Moog One!

Accept, Prophet 6 is a decent synth and makes some good sounds, but it will never be a modern classic and it'll never 'hang' proudly with vintage power polys (or monos) like the OB-6 can. OB-6 was a freak occurrence, almost like we didn't really deserve it or were meant to have it. Having owned or sampled the rest of Sequentials (DSI's) modern range, I can't see why anyone would buy anything poly from them other than OB-6 now (the rest is average at best - harsh and tinny at worst
*in your opinion

Exacttly! Those who just want a synth, any synth, won't care about the nuances of the VCOs and filter tone, but those who specifically want a great sounding analog poly will and do care and OB-6 has it going on where Prophet 6 doesn't (and as for P08/rev 2... couldn't sell my Rev 2 fast enough - what a weak osc and filter package that thing has... dressed up in tons of laborious modulation work and FX is the only way to make it sound, even then, just half decent; those recommending over an OB-6 for your big poly needs need their heads and ears checking pronto).[/QUOTE]

Please see my points above before I report this to the mods...

Last edited by Reptil; 5 days ago at 11:27 AM.. Reason: deleted insult and added quotation tags
Old 5 days ago
Kja
Lives for gear
If anything people are realizing how good the p6 really is these days and that it takes time to understand it, the ob6 was popular out of the gate and floored everyone but after four years... It feels like it's starting to lose is allure somewhat.. or rather, you will never escape it's inherent "sound", and that can become allittle tiring. I think in another five years, people will remember the p6 as the classic just aswell as the ob6.
Man, you sure got allot of hate for the p6.. even claiming the badges are gimmicky? Whole the ob6 signature is class? Lmao!!
Man get over your ob6, we get that you like it, geez...
Old 5 days ago
< moderator message - @ EBDA1176 @ goldphinga please discuss your differences of opinion without resorting to personal judgement? I'm postive you can do that. Thanks! >
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear
I owned an OB-6 before, it has a magical element to it which is amazing on leads and pads. The filter can create a sizzle that no amount of fancy softsynths or sound design could create in a natural way.

It's also the best FX machine to ever exist, dialing in fx and filter sweeps in real-time creates very musical FX and transitions.

Having said all that, it's not really the foundation for which you can write a whole song on. Its character permeates every preset and it sometimes can take a while to land on a "sweet spot".

I sold my OB-6 and bought an Arp Odyssey (korg reissue) and Juno-106 instead as while the OB-6 can achieve a greater sound than the Juno, the Juno has numerous great sounds than can be dialed in within seconds.

I love the OB-6 but most of my time spent with was chasing a "classic" tone that the machine didn't give up easily. I'm hoping the Behringer remake of the OB-Xa is closer to what I imagined the OB-6 to be when I first bought it.

OB-6 is also hands down the most aesthetically good-looking synth ever created.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

It really is a beautiful package, small, lightweight, solid, great keys! I love my OB6 but it’s by no means the end all synth. Someone up top said cover the old Roland sound? I completely disagree. Maybe you can squeeze similar sounds out here and there but no, I’m my opinion not even close
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Syc View Post
It really is a beautiful package, small, lightweight, solid, great keys! I love my OB6 but it’s by no means the end all synth. Someone up top said cover the old Roland sound? I completely disagree. Maybe you can squeeze similar sounds out here and there but no, I’m my opinion not even close

It can get close to a roland sound but it can't do the big open chord voicings with huge bass that a roland is famous for

It's funny cause the OB-6 can do things that quite literally no other soft/hard synth on the planet can do but we're always reduced to comparing it to other classic tones
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevizzles View Post
It can get close to a roland sound but it can't do the big open chord voicings with huge bass that a roland is famous for

It's funny cause the OB-6 can do things that quite literally no other soft/hard synth on the planet can do but we're always reduced to comparing it to other classic tones
Ya, right in line with my thinking as well. It’s the OB6, period. I know it’s a California synth but I really can’t keep this image out of my head when I think of the OB6, what a beaut!
Attached Thumbnails
Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim OB6-e3d8e2e0-8a8e-4c37-9bd0-a303e7d0b74b.jpg   Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim OB6-83f07234-01c1-4ce2-83eb-182bbc20dbd4.jpeg   Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim OB6-eedc2a50-4121-47df-acd7-d385ab6529cc.jpeg  
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

My JX regularly outclassed and out-powered my Prophet 6 (and def rev 2) when I had them. The only similarity was the 4 pole filter.

I couldn't have done that with the Prophet 6, the P6 is just too small sounding, too strict and tight.. no life or power to speak of.
I can't see how the JX would do that, unless you're really talking about the warm saturated tone that most old analogs can produce. I agree with you in that way.

Nowadays I'd rather have the OB6 than the P6, but they both sound very similar to me. I'm more excited right now about the upcoming Behringer synths.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
I have now both. I prefer both.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
Nowadays I'd rather have the OB6 than the P6, but they both sound very similar to me. I'm more excited right now about the upcoming Behringer synths.
I really hope that B's OB-Xa clone satisfies all those dissatisfied with how the OB-6 isn't "vintage" enough, so they can go use that synth instead. I don't do covers or 80s music, so will stick with the OB-6 hardware. There'll be the OB-Xa softsynth from Synapse Audio if I get a hankerin' for a hunk o' vintage.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I had ignored the OB-6 in my search for an analog poly, I don't remember why. One day I decided I should at least give it a listen. I was sitting in the living room surfing videos and Soundcloud files of OB-6 patches, listening out loud, when I came across a patch- a beautiful chord progression played on a filter sweeping pad. I turned around to my wife to say "wow" and she had tears in her eyes. She said "we're getting that one". A few days later we had an OB-6. That's the kind of instrument the OB-6 is.

I don't think anyone is tired of the sounds it can create, I don't think anyone ever will be, they're gorgeous. And I don't find it hard to fit in a mix at all, I think it fits everywhere. I'm not much of a mixer, though, haha. I seriously considered the P6. I like the envelopes, it's a beautiful, powerful synth and I was actually looking for a very versatile poly synth. I came to realize the OB-6 is more versatile than it gets internet credit for. But my decision wasn't rational, the OB-6 grabbed my heart and that was it.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljefe View Post
I had ignored the OB-6 in my search for an analog poly, I don't remember why. One day I decided I should at least give it a listen. I was sitting in the living room surfing videos and Soundcloud files of OB-6 patches, listening out loud, when I came across a patch- a beautiful chord progression played on a filter sweeping pad. I turned around to my wife to say "wow" and she had tears in her eyes. She said "we're getting that one". A few days later we had an OB-6. That's the kind of instrument the OB-6 is.

I don't think anyone is tired of the sounds it can create, I don't think anyone ever will be, they're gorgeous. And I don't find it hard to fit in a mix at all, I think it fits everywhere. I'm not much of a mixer, though, haha. I seriously considered the P6. I like the envelopes, it's a beautiful, powerful synth and I was actually looking for a very versatile poly synth. I came to realize the OB-6 is more versatile than it gets internet credit for. But my decision wasn't rational, the OB-6 grabbed my heart and that was it.
That's a super cool OB-6 story, thanks for sharing it here

Long live the OB-6 it's the new classic
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
I really hope that B's OB-Xa clone satisfies all those dissatisfied with how the OB-6 isn't "vintage" enough, so they can go use that synth instead. I don't do covers or 80s music, so will stick with the OB-6 hardware. There'll be the OB-Xa softsynth from Synapse Audio if I get a hankerin' for a hunk o' vintage.
Synapse is doing an OB-Xa plugin? When is that coming? They did an amazing job on The Legend.

The only other OB-* plugin right now is OB-Xd, which is pretty terrible.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Synapse is doing an OB-Xa plugin? When is that coming? They did an amazing job on The Legend.

The only other OB-* plugin right now is OB-Xd, which is pretty terrible.
As I understand it, it’s “in beta” now. No release date given. I’ll buy it prob on release day. All OB plugins are flawed right now. Given quality of The Legend, I’m hopeful. If nothing else, I bet it’s close to the Behringer version, only software, and not Behringer. I figure the OB-6 hardware + OB-Xa software will be a powerful combo (and maybe use the OB-6 as a controller).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search