The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim OB6
Old 10th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0lden View Post
My OB6 arrived yesterday and it had the same creaking noise. Some of the side plate screws were loose as well (no biggie).

Unfortunately, I don't love the sound and will promptly exchange for a P6. It's a thrill to play, but it doesn't work with any of my music. I spent most of the night trying to program the OB6 out of my OB6.

Lesson learned: Trust your research, not the crowd.
Why not give it the 30day treatment it’s already in your studio, who knows?
Old 10th August 2019
My OB-6 module is rock solid. Probably the best build quality of all the synths I have when talking knobs and buttons etc...

O.T.

The P6 has the AS-1. Why no mono version of the OB? Maybe they didn't want to tread into Sem territory when they were still being made?

Seems like a missed opportunity.
Old 11th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't love the sound and will promptly exchange for a P6. It's a thrill to play, but it doesn't work with any of my songs.
Had the same... bought a P6 and an OB6 with the intention of putting them against each other. The P6 won by miles for me. Love the OB6 in principle but not in reality.
Old 11th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricera View Post
I landed on the other side of the ball hair and got the P6. I'm trying to think of some other testicular wordplay to say I'm still itching to get the OB6 too .... no, nothing. Sorry. Actually, does itching work?
I think they both belong in the same baw sack
Old 11th August 2019
Quote:
My OB6 arrived yesterday and it had the same creaking noise. Some of the side plate screws were loose as well (no biggie).

Unfortunately, I don't love the sound and will promptly exchange for a P6. It's a thrill to play, but it doesn't work with any of my songs. I spent most of the night trying to program the OB6 out of my OB6!

Lesson learned: Trust your research, not the crowd.
Its a distinct sound you have to be after. Its definitely a flavour synth. Im buying some outboard just now but I can see a P6 in my future.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Rob Lowe View Post
Why not give it the 30day treatment it’s already in your studio, who knows?
So I revisited my store today and tested the ob6 and p6 they had on the floor - both had a lot of lateral flex and made creaking noises when flexed, so I guess it’s just how they are. Not a problem once flat on a desk so no big deal.

In any event, I am LOVING the sound of the OB6 - exactly the vintage sugary sound I’ve been after in a poly
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Its a distinct sound you have to be after. Its definitely a flavour synth. Im buying some outboard just now but I can see a P6 in my future.
I made a comment that it sounded like 1984 rust, or something like that.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
I made a comment that it sounded like 1984 rust, or something like that.
Thats a good description lol, its definitely not of this century.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I’ve been shopping for an analog poly for several years, I just couldn’t decide. The OB6 is the sound I am most attracted to, but I was afraid that it wouldn’t be versatile enough. I decided I don’t care, I like the sound of it so much. It’s a joy to play. So after spending several months pondering P6? OB6? P6? OB6? I am getting an OB6. Now I will spend a couple of months sweating over keys? desktop? keys? desktop?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljefe View Post
I’ve been shopping for an analog poly for several years, I just couldn’t decide. The OB6 is the sound I am most attracted to, but I was afraid that it wouldn’t be versatile enough. I decided I don’t care, I like the sound of it so much. It’s a joy to play. So after spending several months pondering P6? OB6? P6? OB6? I am getting an OB6. Now I will spend a couple of months sweating over keys? desktop? keys? desktop?
Try to see the desktop in person before you make the decision.

I know some people will disagree with me, but I think the keyboard is smaller than it should be, and the desktop is larger than it should be. I’d recommend the keyboard in a heartbeat for the versatility/portability it offers to a travelling keyboardist.

The desktop is so huge there would be no room on my desk for it, so I would have to put it on a keyboard stand anyway, so it might as well have keys!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by infindebula View Post
Try to see the desktop in person before you make the decision.

I know some people will disagree with me, but I think the keyboard is smaller than it should be, and the desktop is larger than it should be. I’d recommend the keyboard in a heartbeat for the versatility/portability it offers to a travelling keyboardist.

The desktop is so huge there would be no room on my desk for it, so I would have to put it on a keyboard stand anyway, so it might as well have keys!
Interesting! I’ve not seen the desktop in person, I’ve only played the keys. Thanks for the heads up, I will check it out.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Interesting! I’ve not seen the desktop in person, I’ve only played the keys. Thanks for the heads up, I will check it out.
I have always preferred keyboards to oversized modules. I remember seeing Nick Batt's review of the OB-6 module, and I think it was the placibo of it being a module that made me not want to not like it. It is rather large and as mentioned above the OB-6 keyboard is such a convenient size, I see no reason for the module.

I just got an MS2000BR, and I think I may swap it for the keyboard version. I have always had a problem with racks and modules as I don't feel so attached to them when playing. (I think that's quite a common notion). I realise its no different, but theres definitely something better about feeling more connected to the instrument, even if it is a placebo
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

OB 6+6

Some perspective on the size proportions between the Keyboard and Module.

Quote:
Attached Thumbnails
Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim OB6-dsi-oberheim-ob-6-6.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know some people will disagree with me, but I think the keyboard is smaller than it should be, and the desktop is larger than it should be.
I know what you mean. The keyboard has better proportions and feels nicer to use. Still useful to save some cash and space with the module though...
Old 4 weeks ago
Yeah but a $700 premium for it to have a keyboard and a larger case? That, by itself, is almost as much as a new Moog Sub Phatty or a used GM.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaks Dude View Post
Yeah but a $700 premium for it to have a keyboard and a larger case? That, by itself, is almost as much as a new Moog Sub Phatty or a used GM.
And more stripes

(Even though it wouldn't seriously affect my decision to own one, I think the module looks odd with only a few stripes and all that empty space)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
Some perspective on the size proportions between the Keyboard and Module.
Thanks for sharing, but that shot does a terrible job of illustrating the size of the module, due to the depth of field on the lens. It makes the module look much smaller than it is. With the camera you’re using, you would need to lay them both in a table or floor and take a shot from above.

As it is, the module looks tiny in your shot until you follow the depth lines out, and you realize the module is about the width of 3.5 octaves of keyboard and therefore it must be proportionally taller too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for sharing, but that shot does a terrible job of illustrating the size of the module, due to the depth of field on the lens. It makes the module look much smaller than it is. With the camera you’re using, you would need to lay them both in a table or floor and take a shot from above.

As it is, the module looks tiny in your shot until you follow the depth lines out, and you realize the module is about the width of 3.5 octaves of keyboard and therefore it must be proportionally taller too.
Well, 'tis what it 'tis. Perspective is part of our visual reality. You just need to make mental (visual) adjustments as you have, using frames of reference. That above pic shows what it looks like to sit in front of a 6+6 rig. Note, the Keys are slightly angled up in the back, as there are two large rubber wedges under the rear backside - which is sort of like moving the camera a little above a flat lying synth, if you follow. ;-)

Here's another angle which makes the Module look a little bigger.

At 20.75" W the Module is 10.55" narrower than the Keys, which leaves 5.275" on each side. It is actually 1-1/2" narrower than the Prophet-6 Module, but a little beefier in depth, and same height.

I've since added the OB LFE to the 6+6 rig (although haven't had a chance to really use it yet). But, what a fantastic unit from Channelizer!. The LFE and Module are aligned on Odyssey L360 stands behind the Keys and overhang about 1" on each side... looks sweet and very ergo.
Attached Thumbnails
Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim OB6-dsi-oberheim-ob-6-6_side.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Kja
Lives for gear
Quote:
I will give my little two cents, I think you will love it, and if you can stand four octaves I would say deffinetly get the keys, I'm not sure if you have other instruments that cost three grand, but if not then get the keys, you will love it more and bond with it more and it will feel more like the complete instrument that it is. Also, I think you will find it is much more versatile than you think at first, it will show you that you can do sooooo much with a synth even with one lfo if the maker opens up the architecture to so much audio rate modulation options and bipoler attenuverters for the envelopes.. and the envelopes are modeled after original Oberheim envelopes aswell.. you will love it, it's a massive synth.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Wow, thank you for the advices everybody! The desktop version looks quite large.
@ string6theory - That picture of both the keyboard and the desktop is beautiful.
and Kja, thanks for that encouraging post. So nice.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
IMO.. get the desktop. There are a couple of important reasons. 1. You can pair it with a 61 key controller and have an extra octave. Go bigger if you want - you're not limited to 4 octaves. 2. With a controller than supports NRPN - you can map Sequence and Arp start/stops.. and use both at the same time. (This isn't something you can do with the keyboard version). 3. Wait .. that's more than two. But three -- if you pair it with something like a Novation SL.. you can map in Sequences which fire off OB sequences. Arps too. Desktop + SL = same price as the keyed version.

More on the OB-> https://www.dropbox.com/s/2s063vn2p9...01.0.docx?dl=0
Attached Thumbnails
Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim OB6-img_9769.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoo View Post
IMO.. get the desktop. There are a couple of important reasons. 1. You can pair it with a 61 key controller and have an extra octave. Go bigger if you want - you're not limited to 4 octaves. 2. With a controller than supports NRPN - you can map Sequence and Arp start/stops.. and use both at the same time. (This isn't something you can do with the keyboard version). 3. Wait .. that's more than two. But three -- if you pair it with something like a Novation SL.. you can map in Sequences which fire off OB sequences. Arps too. Desktop + SL = same price as the keyed version.

More on the OB-> https://www.dropbox.com/s/2s063vn2p9...01.0.docx?dl=0
I’m going to go back and forth on this for a while, I can tell already.
BTW that doc is fantastic! Much respect. Thank you for that link.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’m going to go back and forth on this for a while, I can tell already.
BTW that doc is fantastic! Much respect. Thank you for that link.
Haha, riding that seesaw is quite normal.

Another vote for the keyboard... it's truly excellent.

+1 on the OB-6 Tips & Tricks link kudos @ JDoo !
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I often feel like I'm programming with one hand behind my back when working with the OB6, and it often doesn't sit that well in the mix. The mod amounts are much too coarse. All the envelopes etc. are too rigid - regimented and digital rather than a little loose and analogue. Six note poly and 4 octaves isn't great either. But I put up with it's limitations because when it hits the spot, there's no other current modern hw instrument that offers the same tone. It takes external fx extremely well too. It's an instrument I just can't fall in love with, but can't get rid of either.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My wife votes for the keyboard version so I think I’ll go with that. They don’t have any in stock nearby, but there’s one in a shop about an hour and a half drive from us. We’re going to make a nice road trip out of it tomorrow so we’ll have a new OB-6 by Monday, which is much sooner than I expected.

I wanted to ask about librarian software for the OB-6. Online I see Sound Tower or MIDI Quest. Edit: I also see one called codeKnobs Synthet. Which do you use and why?

And lastly, I can’t find information on the expression pedal input re voltage, which expression pedals will work with the OB-6?

I’m really looking forward to tomorrow!

Edit again: Tomorrow came and went and we now own an OB-6!
Also, I emailed Sequential and they said both my expression pedals (Mission Engineering SP-25 and Roland EV-5) will work with the OB-6. It's been a good week all around.

Last edited by ljefe; 3 weeks ago at 09:34 AM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search