The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim OB6
Old 24th July 2019
Serious question but also probably the dumbest question on here today - for someone (me) who has a JP8 and a Juno 60 and 106, is there any advantage to spending $2500-$3000 on an OB6? Every single demo I've heard of these is incredible. I'm wondering if I just have some kind of irrational GAS for one, or if I really have a hole in my rig that an OB6 could fill.
Old 24th July 2019
Lives for gear

To me, it's the filter that has the most impact on the character of an instrument. Nothing else in your arsenal has that classic state-variable SEM-style filter that the OB-6 features. The Jupiter 8, Juno 60 and 106 are all based around the same Roland IR3109 IC so I'm not surprised something different really stands out to you.

Whether you need one or not, however, is something only you can answer.
Old 24th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaks Dude View Post
Serious question but also probably the dumbest question on here today - for someone (me) who has a JP8 and a Juno 60 and 106, is there any advantage to spending $2500-$3000 on an OB6? Every single demo I've heard of these is incredible. I'm wondering if I just have some kind of irrational GAS for one, or if I really have a hole in my rig that an OB6 could fill.
Dude, this is GearSlutz of course fill the hole!
Old 24th July 2019
Lives for gear

I very much agree with LadyGaia. Given that you have several synths using the typical 24dB/Oct filter capable of self oscillation, the SEM filter - 12dB/Oct, state variable, doesn't self oscillate (and hence can produce some really extreme sounds) - will provide sounds you currently can't get. Now add in the OB-6's cross mod section that allows audio rate modulation of the filter cutoff, mode (lowpass<->notch<->highpass) and transition to bandpass and you have something that will extend those differences even further.

Plus, of course, it has that unmistakeable Oberheim character.
Old 24th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
If its of any help, I owned a JP8 + Juno 6 and I prefer my OB6.

It really is a superb sounding synthesizer. Only thing that seems against it is that its new.
Old 25th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
If its of any help, I owned a JP8 + Juno 6 and I prefer my OB6.

It really is a superb sounding synthesizer. Only thing that seems against it is that its new.
I own a Juno 60 and an OB6. No gas the OB6 is absolutely great.
Old 25th July 2019
Deleted a3c6337
OB-6 bby.. I sold mine but only because I like having a complete instrument and made the mistake of getting the module. Keyboard OB-6 is on the horizon. Best sounding synth I've heard in person, nothing compares IMO.
Old 25th July 2019
Lives for gear
My OB-6 gets more use than my JP-6, JX-3P, Juno-106. I’ll never dump any of them but the OB is the one I’d grab if my house was on fire.
Old 29th July 2019
Here for the gear

Hi,

Anyone care to share his set up + settings between the desktop version and Logic?

The external instrument is one way, the other one is with soundtower plugin.

Also making use of the arp..what is the best way and settings for this setup?

Thanks in advance.

Dave
Old 29th July 2019
Lives for gear

3 year and a whole load of synth gas later and I am still absolutely in love with mine. It's so alive. I am a serial synth buyer and seller and often just buy synths to have a year with and move them on but this one is staying forever.
Old 2nd August 2019
Sub octave perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVi View Post
Hi, since a few months I am proud owner of the OB-6, but because of moving to other studio location only now I have time to explore the synth. I found something that is bothering me on some patches for example patch 048 ('Crush On You'). Every 5th note I play sounds different from 1-4 and the 6th note, like the filter is wider open. Is this normal behaviour or should I be worried something is wrong with the voice chip(s)?
I found some weirdness with patches that had the suboscillator engaged and also OScillator SYNC switched ON like 260/760 and also to a lesser extent 507/007 after editing.

If you turn the sub-oscillator to zero does the problem persist?

I have already edited patch 048 but the matching patch on my OB6 i.e. 548 (the preset) is not a SYNC patch, so maybe this doesn't apply. Worth a try though.

That problem has been discussed elsewhere here and on DSI/Sequential forum but yours might be a different issue:
See these vids:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e-x...B&index=7&t=0s
Old 2nd August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
It is irrational gas, but what's wrong with that?
I love my OB6.
Very inspiring and it sounds awesome as well.
Old 2nd August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don’t see much overlap between the OB6 and what you have. I’ve got a Juno60, MKS80 and a Prophet6 among other polyphonic analogs and I now ordered a OB6 desktop. The more I listen to the demos, the more I like the OB6. The sound will complement the rest.
Old 2nd August 2019
The OB is never leaving my studio again. I recently swapped with a friend...He wanted a few days with the OB and I wanted to check out the P6. I actually ended up loving the P6 and it has planted a synth seed somewhere in my brain. But...I love notch filters too much. The OB's ability to mod the filter mode is special in my book.
Old 3rd August 2019
Lives for gear
Some synths are just classics out the gate the OB6 is one of those. I have many and have had money more but the OB6 ain’t ever leaving. It’s a keeper for damn sure
Old 3rd August 2019
I think its the first synth Ive owned that has the sound Im looking for almost the moment I turn it on...even some of the presets are excellent, cant say that about every new synth you buy
Old 3rd August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobustAmerican View Post
The OB is never leaving my studio again. I recently swapped with a friend...He wanted a few days with the OB and I wanted to check out the P6. I actually ended up loving the P6 and it has planted a synth seed somewhere in my brain. But...I love notch filters too much. The OB's ability to mod the filter mode is special in my book.
Ive got the P6 bug after watching everything I could find on it and the OB...I was a ball hair away from buying it instead
Old 3rd August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Rob Lowe View Post
Alright, day 2. Like previously suggested, still in the honeymoon period, but, to my surprise my autistic son,with Aspergers, told me the ob sounds beautiful? Like wow! I play many instruments, vst's vintage acoustic reeds strings, etc etc etc, btw when he says that he means it, very sensitive to sound from day one . This is the kicker though, my wife loves acoustic, she told me walking thru the studio that sounds pretty? Don't turn it down, that sounds pretty, late gotta go do a set
OB6 is still the best, got the stuff right on this one. ^^^ my original review
Old 3rd August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davenomoney View Post
I found some weirdness with patches that had the suboscillator engaged and also OScillator SYNC switched ON like 260/760 and also to a lesser extent 507/007 after editing.

If you turn the sub-oscillator to zero does the problem persist?

I have already edited patch 048 but the matching patch on my OB6 i.e. 548 (the preset) is not a SYNC patch, so maybe this doesn't apply. Worth a try though.

That problem has been discussed elsewhere here and on DSI/Sequential forum but yours might be a different issue:
See these vids:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e-x...B&index=7&t=0s
It was a faulty voice card. I received a new voice card from DSI and everything worked fine afterwards.
Old 3rd August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVi View Post
It was a faulty voice card. I received a new voice card from DSI and everything worked fine afterwards.
Dave Smith Sequential has set the standard for customer service goes as far as I'm concerned. And the concept of a user being able to simply swap out a board is pure genius.

Years ago when I had a new PolyEvolver keyboard, I was having distortion issues on some patches. After numerous emails back and forth and trial and error with support, it was determined by them something on the board was faulty.

Sent me a new board which I swapped with the old one, it eliminated the issue and a very simple process in returning the old board to them.
Made for a happy customer and one who later became a return customer when I bought my OB6.

Thank you Dave Smith Instruments/Sequential. <3
Old 10th August 2019
Gear Nut

I bought an OB6 today and really loving the sound!

One question - when I opened the box and removed the (brand new) synth, there was a very loud creaking noise coming from the chassis when subject to minimal flex. Is this normal? Are there some screws I should tighten? I have never had a creaky synth before, and for A$5k it’s not the best first impression.

Thanks
Old 10th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighzi88 View Post

One question - when I opened the box and removed the (brand new) synth, there was a very loud creaking noise coming from the chassis when subject to minimal flex. Is this normal? Are there some screws I should tighten? I have never had a creaky synth before, and for A$5k it’s not the best first impression.

Thanks
All DSI stuff have sub par build quality imo which is a bummer

Love the sound tho
Old 10th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAXAU View Post

Love the sound tho
Would love to know what you consider "par"...from a (former) repair technician's perspective, there isn't a brand on the planet that's better built for long-term maintainability, full stop.
Old 10th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can't speak to other offerings, but my Prophet X is a top-notch build. Easily in the same ballpark as the tank-like Kurzweils I've owned and free of any of the creaks I experienced with a friend's Moog One.
Old 10th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Love the sound tho
Looking here at my JDXA next to OB6, I'd say the DSI is in another league build quality wise. Everything about it exudes quality.
Old 10th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
Looking here at my JDXA next to OB6, I'd say the DSI is in another league build quality wise. Everything about it exudes quality.
+1

Funny enough Id say the pro 2 feels even better built.

XAs a beast but Roland are plastic fantastic when it comes to build
Old 10th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Ive got the P6 bug after watching everything I could find on it and the OB...I was a ball hair away from buying it instead
I landed on the other side of the ball hair and got the P6. I'm trying to think of some other testicular wordplay to say I'm still itching to get the OB6 too .... no, nothing. Sorry. Actually, does itching work?
Old 10th August 2019
Lives for gear

OB-6 built like a tank here. DSI build quality is awesome, and field serviceability is 2nd to none.
Old 10th August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighzi88 View Post

Thanks
My OB6 arrived yesterday and it had the same creaking noise. Some of the side plate screws were loose as well (no biggie).

Unfortunately, I don't love the sound and will promptly exchange for a P6. It's a thrill to play, but it doesn't work with any of my songs. I spent most of the night trying to program the OB6 out of my OB6!

Lesson learned: Trust your research, not the crowd.
Old 10th August 2019
Lives for gear

Can only speak for Prophet 08 & Pro 2 which I’ve owned with wobbly pots and creaking chassis
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search