The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim OB6
Old 3rd June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobustAmerican View Post
Hello Everyone!

Well we've experienced our first host failure since opening our doors back on Dec 16th 2018. For the last 2 days Robust American Patches has been down. If you tried to browse our site or make a purchase in the last 48 hours and it failed we apologize profusely! All we can say at this point is that this outage has also hit Google Cloud so it was somewhat severe and widespread.

Things are back up now and working as expected.

Thanks for understanding and we hope this hasn't inconvenienced anyone.

Randy
Shouldn't this be in some commercial thread outside of the general discussion area? It seems like these synth specific threads have become a fecking free for all.
Old 3rd June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripp2k View Post
Shouldn't this be in some commercial thread outside of the general discussion area? It seems like these synth specific threads have become a fecking free for all.
I had a few users from this forum and this thread ask about the site being down.

Sorry Cap'n!
Old 3rd June 2019
M32
Lives for gear

These are brilliant!
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M32 View Post

These are brilliant!

DAMN, ok that sounds awesome! WOW!
Old 10th June 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by normanion View Post
I will repeat my observation about OB-6 from another thread about different device:

I am surprised that my OB-6 has crippled random LFO when syncing it - which should reset LFO and set new unpredictable value with every key press. Try this: sync LFO (per manual: "the LFO wave cycle is reset when you press a key"), set some longer time (like 1 bar), set to random. Then play some sequence staccato by hand. LFO will give you same value for eternity. It will be random - at first, but being constant, it starts being predictable quite fast.

Just sayin' so some random lost soul, thinking about buying this synth for goa purpose, knows, that if he thinks, that he can make 1/16 with random cutoff values interlaced with 1/8, holding random value for whole note, he might be disappointed. I mean, there's a proper synth here, the best I ever had, with a lot of power and best sound I ever heard, but this one preset at the moment is impossible, despite manual claiming different.

P.S. Sent an e-mail to Sequential, claiming it as a bug.
I wrote my fingers bleedy about this bug in the official Sequential forums but neither the guy who responded nor Sequential/DSI seemed to understand what I've meant.
https://forum.sequential.com/index.p...ic,2771.0.html

Interestingly, on the prophet Rev2, the keytrigger works as it should. So I wonder why this is so hard to get on the OB6?

People have hard times to understand what keytriggered LFO actually means. A few years ago I wrote to the developer of the Studiologic Sledge to get a keysynced LFO and he implemented and understood it that way, that the wave position of LFO2 on keystroke still is "by chance" (or where the LFO position is in the moment after getting once initially started by turning the synth on), but instead one LFO wave affects all pressed keys the same like one single LFO, not independently... which still is totally useless, if you can't start it on a specific point.

Last edited by Jauly; 10th June 2019 at 03:39 PM..
Old 10th June 2019
Gear Addict

Maybe you should read Normanian's follow up post. The LFO wave reset when set to random is working after he updated to the latest available OB-6 OS version.

I've also just tested a REV2 in the office and can confirm that with an LFO set with wave reset on and random shape, a new random value is sent from the LFO on each keypress.
Old 10th June 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmd View Post
Maybe you should read Normanian's follow up post. The LFO wave reset when set to random is working after he updated to the latest available OB-6 OS version.

I've also just tested a REV2 in the office and can confirm that with an LFO set with wave reset on and random shape, a new random value is sent from the LFO on each keypress.
Thank you, I missed this!
Old 10th June 2019
Gear Addict

Sure thing!
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

These are brilliant!
That is so unmistakably OB-6; the kind of otherworldly sounds it does so incredibly well. Others may argue about whether it sounds "vintage" or not, but I like it for exactly what it is.

Tom, Dave, and the good folks at Sequential created an exceptionally good sounding synthesizer.
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

The one thing I'm not convinced about is the ob6's distortion.
It dampens all the high frequencies, thus making it mostly useless.
I much prefer to run in thru fabfilter saturn, gives way better results imo.
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanC3 View Post

Tom, Dave, and the good folks at Sequential created an exceptionally good sounding synthesizer.
I don't like saying this as some may take it the wrong way, but I think there are quite a few older members on here who seem to dismiss this synth because its recent, and its not an OBXa. ...which is a shame.

I honestly can't think of another synth that gets so much praise on this forum as the OB-6.

It is the modern day JP8 sweetspot synth imho. I love mine equally as much as my late Trident (Which those who know me, was my favourite of all time, so that's saying something).

That Luke Neptune Demo is fantastic!
Old 10th June 2019
Kja
Lives for gear
That Luke Neptune sounds good, but the p6 version of most of the exact same patches to me sounds much better... Sorry for the cannon fodder!!

https://youtu.be/v0ZyozQZWp0
Old 11th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Naw son! I find the p6 better at cutting and faster sounds, the envelopes sound faster or smoother? But the ob6 is like a fat opera singer, when she comes onstage, she's undeniable. Glasses break, hearts melt, memories are made. Damn she beautiful!
Old 11th June 2019
Kja
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oekoumene View Post
Naw son! I find the p6 better at cutting and faster sounds, the envelopes sound faster or smoother? But the ob6 is like a fat opera singer, when she comes onstage, she's undeniable. Glasses break, hearts melt, memories are made. Damn she beautiful!
Nah to me the ob6 does a good job of imitating those sounds while the p6 IS those sounds, it is so organic and gooey and bubbly but still dirty.. to me the ob6 always has that oberheim quality that I'm just not a huge fan of, it sounds hollowed out to me, but I'm glad each can get their pick.. now with the super six we even have a good Roland type synth available now too!
Old 11th June 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
I don't like saying this as some may take it the wrong way, but I think there are quite a few older members on here who seem to dismiss this synth because its recent, and its not an OBXa. ...which is a shame.
uhm... there's quite a few older posters, maybe we're not vocal enough? Who absolutely love the OB-6. The OBXA was not within reach for the unwashed masses. $$

Joe
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

I am still a massive OB-6 fan and it has pretty much killed any desire I had for vintage synths. Yes I would still money no object collect them like football cards but as far as getting that vibey sound, jamming with nothing but a pair of speakers and huge smile on my face, the OB-6 is still delivering 3? years later!
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobule View Post
I am still a massive OB-6 fan and it has pretty much killed any desire I had for vintage synths. Yes I would still money no object collect them like football cards but as far as getting that vibey sound, jamming with nothing but a pair of speakers and huge smile on my face, the OB-6 is still delivering 3? years later!
Ditto
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Head

OB-6 was the first hardware synth I ever bought, last fall. A couple of weeks ago I purchased my second one, the Prophet-6 which I had been eyeing online and had some money over in my firm which I spent on the P6 as deductible.

I realize that I might be spoiled as a synth newbie here, but to be honest now I understand what people mean with the OB-6 sounding magical out of the box. The P6 isn't at all that sweet spot-sounding all over, in fact it sounds kind of bland in comparison. I believe I will keep both though, as the P6 does manage to create some quite wonderful pads.
Old 7th July 2019
Lives for gear

How are the highs on this? Mostly only hearing mids and bass in most demos
Old 7th July 2019
Kja
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 191919 View Post
OB-6 was the first hardware synth I ever bought, last fall. A couple of weeks ago I purchased my second one, the Prophet-6 which I had been eyeing online and had some money over in my firm which I spent on the P6 as deductible.

I realize that I might be spoiled as a synth newbie here, but to be honest now I understand what people mean with the OB-6 sounding magical out of the box. The P6 isn't at all that sweet spot-sounding all over, in fact it sounds kind of bland in comparison. I believe I will keep both though, as the P6 does manage to create some quite wonderful pads.
It's not.. but don't let that make you think it's lesser, the more you play it the more you will love it, it takes longer than the ob6 but it gets really great when you start to really know it, it took me about a year to even get why is better than my other synth's and another six months to really learn to use it... Now it amazes me every time I play it.
Old 7th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelican View Post
How are the highs on this? Mostly only hearing mids and bass in most demos
I’d say it has a fair bit of top end sizzle. I often find I roll off the highs when mixing, which I rarely do with analog synths.
Old 7th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
I’d say it has a fair bit of top end sizzle. I often find I roll off the highs when mixing, which I rarely do with analog synths.
In general I’d say it’s highs on the OB-6 are just where they should be. Never lacking, but never harsh or piercing.

I’m usually not a fan of patches that have the filter mode set to just off lowpass (with the highest frequency content bleeding through), but sometimes it comes in handy to make a sound cut through a dense mix.
Old 13th July 2019
Deleted a3c6337
Favorite synthesizer! Wish I had the keyboard version however... Interested in trades if anyone is looking for the module........
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Addict

Anyone had this problem .....after using the pitch control it leaves the ob6 a bit flat ...so then I then have to hit manual zero to recalibrate every time....

Mod wheel calibration and global reset doesn’t fix it...

So what is the fix for this?

Last edited by musicman666; 14th July 2019 at 04:32 AM..
Old 14th July 2019
Quote:

These are brilliant!
late in the game but those were very very good...if Id heard that soundset as a demo I wouldnt have been oohing and aahing about whether to buy the OB6...cant wait for it to arrive in a few days.

listening to the same patches just now for the P6 and its that same impression Im getting from other side by side demos...the P6 is just more detailed and the OB6 is more glued together

dunno how Im gonna get the P6, zero room and I dont want a module...hmmm, maybe time to retire my JX :sad smilie:
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Addict
Funky Startup sounds? Could be ... you have a pedal plugged in, that is open -- causing an LFO to wreak havic until you do a manual zero. https://www.dropbox.com/s/2s063vn2p9...01.0.docx?dl=0 <-- funky startup sounds. Just a wag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman666 View Post
Anyone had this problem .....after using the pitch control it leaves the ob6 a bit flat ...so then I then have to hit manual zero to recalibrate every time....

Old 14th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman666 View Post

I’m assuming by “pitch control” you mean the pitch bend wheel.

I would try recording the full movement of the pitch bend wheel into a DAW or MIDI sequencer, then look at the event list. See if the OB-6 “thinks” the wheel is in the right position when it’s centred. If not, there is something wrong with your pitch bend wheel that calibration doesn’t fix.

Alternatively just try controlling another synth with your OB-6 and see if it also stays flat after you use the bender.
Old 22nd July 2019
Gear Nut

Anyone in australia buy their OB-6 from offshore? Store DJ price is $5k, whereas dv247 is low $3k, including shipping.
Old 24th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighzi88 View Post
Anyone in australia buy their OB-6 from offshore? Store DJ price is $5k, whereas dv247 is low $3k, including shipping.
don't forget the GST and duty that customs will slap on it before you can collect it
Old 24th July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolColJ View Post
don't forget the GST and duty that customs will slap on it before you can collect it
True, true. Although that only takes the price to high $3k at most ... still saving at least $1k. Not sure what Thomann warranty is like though for OS customers.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search