The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim OB6
Old 21st May 2019
Lives for gear

Kudos!

Just gave these an immensely enjoyable listen and they are VERY creative, unique, evocative and musical! They sound like a lot of fun to play as well. You’ve really stretched out the OB’s sonic capabilities nicely.

Let me get myself organized on this preset collection front and I’ll be popping by your site soon to download these. I’d like them in my sonic music making arsenal. Love the preset names too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobustAmerican View Post

Salutations to All!

All systems are go for Volume I for the OB-6!

We've got the lion's share (79) of the demonstrations finished and up for consumption. I'm too tired to give you the biz at the moment. We ended up not adding all the extra controller info text in these new videos. More time was needed. There is a special introductory offer available for the next 18 days. Here's the YouTube link a dinks so far.

Thanks you guys!

Randy
Old 21st May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
Kudos!

Just gave these an immensely enjoyable listen and they are VERY creative, unique, evocative and musical! They sound like a lot of fun to play as well. You’ve really stretched out the OB’s sonic capabilities nicely.

Let me get myself organized on this preset collection front and I’ll be popping by your site soon to download these. I’d like them in my sonic music making arsenal. Love the preset names too!

Much appreciated String6Theory! It was big fun creating the demos.

Randy
Old 21st May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Much appreciated String6Theory! It was big fun creating the demos.

Randy
I concur, I purchased right away and will be loading them up later this week for the long weekend synth journey.
Old 21st May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwalkerjr View Post
I concur, I purchased right away and will be loading them up later this week for the long weekend synth journey.
Thanks you guys! Sincerely!

Randy
Old 23rd May 2019
Final Robust Demonstration for Volume I - (OB-6)

Hey guys, I just uploaded the final OB-6 Video Demonstration! The demos are now complete with 98 out of 100 patches demonstrated.

The OB-6 Robust Patch List

We've also added a new page to the site that explains the demos in more detail. Stuff like which controllers are being used and when. It includes a snapshot of the midi part so you can see the notes and controllers used for the demo. The page explains itself so here it is. We just started this page so as of right now it only has 1 Patch up.

Thanks for watching!

Randy
Old 26th May 2019
Gear Addict
Went through these patches last night. I was primarily looking for synth & keys inspiration / timbres. This set is loaded with them, along with other great patches. Most everything had aftertouch, good velocity settings, reasonable pitch bend, etc... lot of attention to detail in these patches. I found that by converting a couple of your 'Lead' patches to Poly mode, and dinking with a handful of settings - they became outstanding Poly/Synth patches. Nice. Anyway - gauging the set by the number of keepers I'll be using -- I would give these a solid A+. Very well done, Randy - thanks!

Joe
Old 26th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoo View Post
Went through these patches last night. I was primarily looking for synth & keys inspiration / timbres. This set is loaded with them, along with other great patches. Most everything had aftertouch, good velocity settings, reasonable pitch bend, etc... lot of attention to detail in these patches. I found that by converting a couple of your 'Lead' patches to Poly mode, and dinking with a handful of settings - they became outstanding Poly/Synth patches. Nice. Anyway - gauging the set by the number of keepers I'll be using -- I would give these a solid A+. Very well done, Randy - thanks!

Joe

I can't begin to thank you enough for giving us the chance and then coming here and spewing all that? Really! Just know that your words are what fuels the fire of inspiration. So, I just threw together a little demonstration song made with the OB-6 exclusively. Should be posting it sometime later today.

Thanks again Joe!

Randy
Old 26th May 2019
Lives for gear

Every time this thread pops up I have very severe sellers remorse, I miss my OB6 so badly.

Any way here it is in action and I always listen to this when I miss it.
Old 26th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyP View Post

Every time this thread pops up I have very severe sellers remorse, I miss my OB6 so badly.

Really enjoyed that!
Old 27th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
Really enjoyed that!
Thanks for that Flat
Old 27th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for that Flat
I have no idea why, but I watched Blade Runner 2049 just before I listened to it and it somehow followed on really well. Especially the OB lead riff.

I could imagine the credits going up at the end with that playing.
Old 27th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
I have no idea why, but I watched Blade Runner 2049 just before I listened to it and it somehow followed on really well. Especially the OB lead riff.

I could imagine the credits going up at the end with that playing.
Ah now that would be good company to have s song in.

I've a real notion now to grab an OB6 desktop, but I've spent so much on gear recently I'll just have to be patient and wait til the time and finances are right
Old 27th May 2019
New OB-6 Demo Song (Exclusively OB-6 & The Robust Americans)

Well here's a short song (2:15) produced with the OB-6 and a handful (6) of our more "commercial" patches exclusively. (Everything except the drums and a few fx where noted in the video) This genre is not really our cup of tea. (House) We're working on another demo song/soundscape that should be up soon for those that can't stomach the 4 on the floor thing.

There's lots of info in this video as text...Kind of a moment to moment commentary about what's happening. It may be too much and too fast in some places.

Finally, please listen to this on the best speakers you can muster.

-Edit-
I figured out the weirdness with the laptop sound. The damn thing had every conceivable, crappy audio enhancing fx turned on in the control panel settings. Turned it all off and my mix sounds like it should.

Thanks you guys!

Randy

~
Old 28th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Just popping in to say the OB-6 remains one of the best sounding synths money can buy. It makes me smile every time I turn it on and it’s one of the only synths I never even think about selling. A true modern classic.

These new patches sound great btw. If the OB-6 wasn’t so ridiculously easy to program I might even buy them.
Old 28th May 2019
Deleted cec0d5b
Quote:
Well here's a short song (2:15) produced with the OB-6
That’s a really good idea, Randy and I especially like how you annotated which patches are doing what as the sounds came in. Excellent idea.

More patch designers should do something like this as it gives potential buyers both a sense of context with how the sounds will work in a mix and also a shortcut to hearing many patches in a short amount of time.

Well done and best of luck with your venture.

Old 28th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Analog View Post
Just popping in to say the OB-6 remains one of the best sounding synths money can buy. It makes me smile every time I turn it on and it’s one of the only synths I never even think about selling. A true modern classic.

These new patches sound great btw. If the OB-6 wasn’t so ridiculously easy to program I might even buy them.

Thanks!
Old 28th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks!
What is the patch update that just went out? What changed?
Old 28th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by markodarko View Post
That’s a really good idea, Randy and I especially like how you annotated which patches are doing what as the sounds came in. Excellent idea.

More patch designers should do something like this as it gives potential buyers both a sense of context with how the sounds will work in a mix and also a shortcut to hearing many patches in a short amount of time.

Yea it's a fine line on where to say enough is enough with that stuff. I could have added so much more info...

I'm glad you liked it. I'm thinking these videos could be so much more entertaining as well. Lots of ideas spinning in my head. "Funny" is always good.

At :24 in you hear some real sounding hand claps before all the drums kick in. Those claps are part of our first ever Nano Sample Pack and for a very short time they will be free. They were professionally recorded into Nuendo with an AKG C-414 B-XL II. The Pre-amp was the Audient ASP-880. They sound great and simply work in most arrangements with minimum fuss. You get 8 (24Bit/44Khz) samples in wave format and a basic Groove Agent preset.

Thanks you guys and enjoy the Clap Samples!
Old 28th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwalkerjr View Post
What is the patch update that just went out? What changed?
Hi Mark,

We simply added a SoundTower Editor Bank file to the package. More then a few people have asked about it so we went ahead and added it. We also cleaned up the file/folders structure a little. Nothing new was changed or added to the patches. So, if you don't use the editor...

Thanks Mark!
Old 28th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Mark,

We simply added a SoundTower Editor Bank file to the package. More then a few people have asked about it so we went ahead and added it. We also cleaned up the file/folders structure a little. Nothing new was changed or added to the patches. So, if you don't use the editor...

Thanks Mark!
I do. Thank you.
Old 29th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markodarko View Post

Quote:
Yea it's a fine line on where to say enough is enough with that stuff. I could have added so much more info...

I'm glad you liked it. I'm thinking these videos could be so much more entertaining as well. Lots of ideas spinning in my head. "Funny" is always good.

At :24 in you hear some real sounding hand claps before all the drums kick in. Those claps are part of our first ever Nano Sample Pack and for a very short time they will be free. (Like 24 Hours Only) They were professionally recorded into Nuendo with an AKG C-414 B-XL II. The Pre-amp was the Audient ASP-880. They sound great and simply work in most arrangements with minimum fuss. You get 8 (24Bit/44Khz) samples in wave format and a basic Groove Agent preset.

Thanks you guys and enjoy the Clap Samples!

+1
Old 29th May 2019
Gear Nut
I will repeat my observation about OB-6 from another thread about different device:

I am surprised that my OB-6 has crippled random LFO when syncing it - which should reset LFO and set new unpredictable value with every key press. Try this: sync LFO (per manual: "the LFO wave cycle is reset when you press a key"), set some longer time (like 1 bar), set to random. Then play some sequence staccato by hand. LFO will give you same value for eternity. It will be random - at first, but being constant, it starts being predictable quite fast.

Just sayin' so some random lost soul, thinking about buying this synth for goa purpose, knows, that if he thinks, that he can make 1/16 with random cutoff values interlaced with 1/8, holding random value for whole note, he might be disappointed. I mean, there's a proper synth here, the best I ever had, with a lot of power and best sound I ever heard, but this one preset at the moment is impossible, despite manual claiming different.

P.S. Sent an e-mail to Sequential, claiming it as a bug.

Last edited by normanion; 29th May 2019 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: added post scriptum
Old 30th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Bumping this.

Worth a listen whole way through.

One of those songs you find the lead riff still playing through your head days later
Old 30th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Yep, this discovery was a big disappointment for me. Hope they fix it
Old 30th May 2019
I happen to like the way the LFO is implemented. I can definitely see your points though. I just reach for something else that can do stuff like that if I need it.

It's current implementation offers a few little things that I use often.

1. LFO Sync and the Arp used together with different beat divisions. Tons of variation can be had here. Many synths can accomplish this simple feat but I'm focusing on what the OB-6 can do.

2. Using the MW as a pseudo constant controller. LFO on it's slowest setting using the Rev. Saw Shape. This is as close as you're going to get to connecting the MW directly to a parameter in the LFO destinations.

If I could have one thing added it would be some sort of control over the MW range. Sometimes, in the heat of the moment during a kick ass jam you want to lean in and put some weight behind that MW action. You know, for rock's sake.

But...Just a little too far (millimeters) and your in Circus Fun House Sound FX territory. I know most decent controllers allow this...But if you don't have a controller with this function you have to be careful, and who wants to be careful when they're "feelin it" live on stage? Nobody, you want to be able to throttle that MW without worrying too much about the result.

Obviously, having both options for the LFO would be the ideal scenario. I wouldn't say no to that. I just work with the cards I'm dealt.

Last edited by RobustAmerican; 30th May 2019 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: Added more Rockers to the Jam
Old 31st May 2019
Gear Nut
Well, look at that! I missed, that OB-6 has newer OS. Now I have 1.5.5 installed and everything works as it should. Sorry for false alarm!

RobustAmerican, I agree that we should play with cards that are in deck, but this thing really was implemented against their own design. I knew it should work different since they made it properly in their Prophet X.

BTW: I bought your presets. Sound and list with descriptions is superb.
Old 31st May 2019
Lives for gear

I don’t generally buy presets, but I liked some of these so much that I will be purchasing. Some of that might be due to your presentation, but some no doubt is due to your excellent ear for sound design, and tastes that align with my own. Really nice work.
Old 31st May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Aiken View Post
I don’t generally buy presets, but I liked some of these so much that I will be purchasing. Some of that might be due to your presentation, but some no doubt is due to your excellent ear for sound design, and tastes that align with my own. Really nice work.
Thank You Sir!

Randy
Old 31st May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by normanion View Post
Well, look at that! I missed, that OB-6 has newer OS. Now I have 1.5.5 installed and everything works as it should. Sorry for false alarm!

RobustAmerican, I agree that we should play with cards that are in deck, but this thing really was implemented against their own design. I knew it should work different since they made it properly in their Prophet X.

BTW: I bought your presets. Sound and list with descriptions is superb.
Well that is good news! Time to update me thinks.

Big Thanks Normanion. Obviously you were on the money with this and I'm happy they heard you!

Randy
Old 3rd June 2019
Google Cloud Down as well as Shopify

Hello Everyone!

Well we've experienced our first host failure since opening our doors back on Dec 16th 2018. For the last 2 days Robust American Patches has been down. If you tried to browse our site or make a purchase in the last 48 hours and it failed we apologize profusely! All we can say at this point is that this outage has also hit Google Cloud so it was somewhat severe and widespread.

Things are back up now and working as expected.

Thanks for understanding and we hope this hasn't inconvenienced anyone.

Randy
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search