The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim OB6 Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 20th December 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
That you can do with any 2 synths.
But all from 1 keyboard? How would that get set up?

If I could get 12 voices along with split and layering on a external 88 key controller I would seriously consider an additional OB-6 module! I can get one new for $1700 right now
Old 20th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wMACKY View Post

If I could get 12 voices along with split and layering on a external 88 key controller I would seriously consider an additional OB-6 module! I can get one new for $1700 right now
There are MIDI splitter boxes you can program for whatever you need.
Old 20th December 2016
Gear Nut
Where can you get a OB6 module for $1700??

Quote:

Old 20th December 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by baronvonellis View Post
Where can you get a OB6 module for $1700??
Opps. I somehow miscalculated. The price is $1840. I made a black Friday purchase and get 20% off my next purchase.
Old 20th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanC3 View Post
I have the 002 and the OB-6. The two of them are very different: both capable of sounds that the other can't come close to. When doing analog sounds the 002 can be very Moogish (hardly surprising given the transistor ladder filter), while the OB-6 is pure Science Fiction. Do the SEM filters in the Omega 8 not get you most of the way there?
I got the Omega at first since i saw the SonOfFourVoice wasn't coming along.
As for sound, i have the Omega 8 but don't have access to an OB6. But from hours of numerous demos it seems like:
1) They don't sound the same (when without fx, to keep it dry vs dry).
2) They don't sound worlds apart either.

The main differences are that the SEM filter on the OB6 is continuously variable, and that could be modulated, the cutoff and resonance interact a bit differently than on the Omega - and on the other hand the Omega gives you 3 lfo's and 3 envelopes.
Old 20th December 2016
Lives for gear

DSI poly chain generally relies on having duplicated patches across devices. When bank/program changes are made on the master, the same change is relayed to the slave. Continuous controller messages are also relayed (cc/NRPN).

AFAIK, voice selection is round robin between devices.

So you could slightly tweak patches to be different to have every other note be slightly different (or radically). The moment you start turning knobs on different patches, all bets are off.

DSI build great controls, but they don't build controllers per say. So anything more fancy you want to do, would need to be handled by something else.

Hope this helps.
Old 20th December 2016
Gear Addict

Soundtower OB6 vst editor available

http://www.soundtower.com/plugse/ob6/index.html
Old 21st December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlou View Post
Soundtower OB6 vst editor available

Dave Smith Instruments - OB-6 PlugSE
It's been out since pretty much the OB-6 release. It's the "official" editor for the OB-6.
Old 21st December 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
It's been out since pretty much the OB-6 release. It's the "official" editor for the OB-6.
Nope, he released the vst plugin eleven hours ago sir.
Old 21st December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nope, he released the vst plugin eleven hours ago sir.
My bad. I didn't catch the VST portion. As a standalone app, it's been out forever.
Old 21st December 2016
Lives for gear

I'm demoing the OB-6 Soundtower Editor right now. The plugin version. They have pretty much crippled the demo completely. Getting the communication working was hindered somewhat by the fact that it says "off line" even when it is "online". The guy in the video on their site about getting the comms working stated that it would say "on line." It doesn't. Take a look at the images on their site. Even their own images still say "off line" if you look close enough. Anyway, I figured out that it was connected and online by accident eventually. Wow...
Really don't have time for things like that.
Old 21st December 2016
Gear Addict

As always, the client is also the beta-tester... What about the other functions ? I'll be fine if automation and presets mgmt work as expected
Old 21st December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
As always, the client is also the beta-tester... What about the other functions ? I'll be fine if automation and presets mgmt work as expected
Yea, those two things are what I need as well. But of course with the demo...

"Writing to the OB-6 is disabled. File saving is disabled. Parameter editing and automation are disabled except for: VCO1 Parameters: Frequency, Sync, Shape, and PW."

They didn't leave much.

Update:
I ended up purchasing both the Stand Alone and the PlugSE. Everything seems great so far. Already needed to contact support once and it was quick and successful.

Last edited by rotundness; 21st December 2016 at 11:10 PM..
Old 28th December 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:

If you had two OB6 modules and an external keyboard controller you could do what you're looking for, but it's a bit fiddly:

12 voices - use the DSI polychaining (with identical or very similar patches loaded into both modules).

Split - set the modules to receive MIDI on two different MIDI channels (e.g., 1 and 2). Set the keyboard to send MIDI on channel 1 on the left side of the split and channel 2 on the right side of the split.

Layer - set the modules to receive MIDI on the same MIDI channel (or "all channels"), and set the keyboard to full keyboard (no split).

Managing program changes for the splits and layers would depend on the MIDI implementation of the keyboard controller. You could do a lot to minimize the complexity by managing the memories of the synths (maybe a split bank and a layer bank in each).

hth
Old 31st December 2016
Lives for gear

Are you finding that the plug in version of the editor is very steppy when recording automation of the knobs? I bought ibothtoo and have been testing with Ableton and when I do filter sweeps, even slow ones, and record the automation it's super, super steppy. Unable actually. Can't trigger sequencer from the plugin either.

Also, in the standalone editor I found a bug with steps 63 and 64 in the sequencer tab. You can't add notes. The lanes are missing. Velocity sliders are there, but the note lanes are missing.
Old 31st December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Opps. I somehow miscalculated. The price is $1840. I made a black Friday purchase and get 20% off my next purchase.
I got a brand new one from ProAudioStar for $1750 during black Friday. I always get the best deals from that place. Not sure how they make money unless they are knocking over delivery trucks. Got two Dynaudio third generation BM-5a monitors for the price of one last year.
Old 31st December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwalkerjr View Post
Are you finding that the plug in version of the editor is very steppy when recording automation of the knobs? I bought ibothtoo and have been testing with Ableton and when I do filter sweeps, even slow ones, and record the automation it's super, super steppy. Unable actually. Can't trigger sequencer from the plugin either.

Also, in the standalone editor I found a bug with steps 63 and 64 in the sequencer tab. You can't add notes. The lanes are missing. Velocity sliders are there, but the note lanes are missing.
Haven't noticed any stepping in Nuendo...I'm using automation lanes to record the OB-6 controllers. It is the only way I've been able to get automation of multiple parameters happening without glitches. Just automated the distortion effect earlier tonight. Glad they brought that one out of the interface and made it easy to automate.
Old 31st December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotundness View Post
Haven't noticed any stepping in Nuendo...I'm using automation lanes to record the OB-6 controllers. It is the only way I've been able to get automation of multiple parameters happening without glitches. Just automated the distortion effect earlier tonight. Glad they brought that one out of the interface and made it easy to automate.
Yea. I've tried logic and ableton and both get crazy stepping on the filter. I'm recording automation how I always do in thosr programs without issue. I reported it. Hope they fix it.
Old 31st December 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
I got a brand new one from ProAudioStar for $1750 during black Friday. I always get the best deals from that place. Not sure how they make money unless they are knocking over delivery trucks. Got two Dynaudio third generation BM-5a monitors for the price of one last year.
AGREED! I got my Keyboard OB-6 on Black Friday for $2499, and they gave me a 20% coupon as a bonus which just netted me a Sub 37 for $1199! One way they save is they do not double box! They just slap on a label and ship in the regular factory box, and that gave me some pause, but I was lucky, and both the OB-6, and Sub 37 arrived in perfect condition, albeit with roughed up factory boxes.

Their operation confuses me. They are a NY store but the OB-6 shipped from Nevada I think, and the Sub from Virginia? Not sure where that stock comes from but both synths were unopened and appeared brand new so...........
Old 31st December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
AGREED! I got my Keyboard OB-6 on Black Friday for $2499, and they gave me a 20% coupon as a bonus which just netted me a Sub 37 for $1199! One way they save is they do not double box! They just slap on a label and ship in the regular factory box, and that gave me some pause, but I was lucky, and both the OB-6, and Sub 37 arrived in perfect condition, albeit with roughed up factory boxes.

Their operation confuses me. They are a NY store but the OB-6 shipped from Nevada I think, and the Sub from Virginia? Not sure where that stock comes from but both synths were unopened and appeared brand new so...........
Mine came from Nevada too. Maybe it's the mob
Old 31st December 2016
Lives for gear
Full declaration- I am now officially an OB-6 fanboy. Really a superb synth.
Old 31st December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

A lot of internet businesses drop-ship packages to their customers.
Old 1st January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium View Post
A lot of internet businesses drop-ship packages to their customers.

That was a first thought, but does DSI have a Nevada warehouse?

But, regardless they got it shipped fast, and for free, were nice to speak with, and cut me a fantastic deal, so I'm all good! I highly recommend them if you are good with no double boxing.
Old 1st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
That was a first thought, but does DSI have a Nevada warehouse?

But, regardless they got it shipped fast, and for free, were nice to speak with, and cut me a fantastic deal, so I'm all good! I highly recommend them if you are good with no double boxing.
By the way, thanks for reminding me about the coupon. I got slutty and bought a Drumbrute today.
Old 1st January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
By the way, thanks for reminding me about the coupon. I got slutty and bought a Drumbrute today.
Old 1st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstino View Post
Full declaration - I am now officially an OB-6 fanboy. Really a superb synth.
It seems to me the world of OB-6 has settled into two camps:

One says: "Why doesn't it have 5 octaves and sound like an OB-Xa?" while the other says: "This is simply one of the finest analog polysynths of the last 40 years".

Good to know which one you and I are in!
Old 1st January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann View Post

One says: "Why doesn't it have 5 octaves and sound like an OB-Xa?" while the other says: "This is simply one of the finest analog polysynths of the last 40 years".

I cured my disdain for the 4 octave keybed by also picking up a Sub 37 with a 3 octave keybed. Now the OB-6 seems rather generous in that regard!
Old 1st January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann View Post

I think u maybe right. Even with 5 octaves and if it was an OB-Xa my feeling is their would still be complaints. Between the sound and on board step sequencer it really is a creative gem to work with.
Old 7th January 2017
Gear Addict

ok so im about to purchase the OB6 but i have a quick question regarding cables since im a cable noob. I have a Firewire Apogee Duet (Two unbalanced high impedance instrument inputs) what cables would I have to get to record the Ob6 properly into my daw?
Old 7th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homunculus View Post
ok so im about to purchase the OB6 but i have a quick question regarding cables since im a cable noob. I have a Firewire Apogee Duet (Two unbalanced high impedance instrument inputs) what cables would I have to get to record the Ob6 properly into my daw?
Instrument cables, unbalanced should be fine.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search