Old 20th May 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
P6 sounds great!

The P6 can out-Moog my Little Phatty in many ways. Mental lol
Old 20th May 2016
Gear Nut

I've just re-uploaded that OB6/Prophet 6 vid i posted earlier as the original one was distorting. It sounds a bit better now

Old 20th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeNeptune View Post
I've just re-uploaded that OB6/Prophet 6 vid i posted earlier as the original one was distorting. It sounds a bit better now
I really liked that track Luke, got a late 80's early 90's NY housey vibe going on, almost early Strictly Rhythm.

Top stuff!

Old 20th May 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac James View Post
I really liked that track Luke, got a late 80's early 90's NY housey vibe going on, almost early Strictly Rhythm.

Top stuff!

Thanks Zac. Yeah that's what i was going for so good to hear
Old 20th May 2016
Gear Head

Ive been getting really good beachy accordions out of the ob6 today very relaxing
Old 20th May 2016
Lives for gear

Just had my first HOLY **** moment with the OB6, in using the Xmod with VCO2 in Low mode, and assigning that to PWM of VCO1, you get these amazingly unstable sounds that pick out little clusters of harmonics.

Will post audio soon.
Old 20th May 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Just had my first HOLY **** moment with the OB6, in using the Xmod with VCO2 in Low mode, and assigning that to PWM of VCO1, you get these amazingly unstable sounds that pick out little clusters of harmonics.

Will post audio soon.
Please do although I feel it'll tip me over the edge!!
Old 20th May 2016
Quote:

Will post audio soon.
Yep! That is how I programmed my 80's PWM pad. Since vco2 xmod is coming from each voice, you get PWM all over the place when playing chords which results in a huge sound. Also added some sub oscillator for extra bottom end.
Old 20th May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeNeptune View Post
Really liken the sounds the mate
Old 21st May 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by djstyleee View Post
Really liken the sounds the mate

Thanks!
Old 21st May 2016
Gear Addict

David against Goliath

demo video

the review (unfortunatel in german language but you can use google translator)
https://www.amazona.de/vergleichstes...berheim-ob-xa/
Old 21st May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy72 View Post
David against Goliath

demo video

Totally winced and braced for a negative impact every time the OBXa finished playing and the OB6 was about to start. But surprisingly, the 6 is really in the same ballpark in terms of weight, heft and punch.

Of course it won't be exactly the same but the family resemblance is strong with these two.
Old 21st May 2016
Quote:
David against Goliath
More like David Cassidy against Goo-goo-ga-ga.

Operator error and too much sloppy programming. Remedial lab work for you!
Old 21st May 2016
Gear Addict

yes sure
Old 21st May 2016
Lives for gear

Ughh, I had the exact same wretched experience at the 14th st. GC yesterday. They had it hooked up to a crappy Roland keyboard amp shooting the sound out at your feet, there were the requisite kids banging out "Chopsticks" 5 feet (er, 1.666 m?) away, and the lighting and positioning of the thing were so bad I had no idea what I was doing.

They want to sell these things, right? The dope SalesDood asked me to turn it down (after I had turned it up a bit because of "ChjopsucKS"). So I asked if I could have some headphones, and he told me I could go up to the counter to get get some. Gee, thanks, don't work too hard, Salesdouche.

OK, we all know how awful GuitarCrapper can be and sorry to rant.

So, my takeaways:

1) It's a lot smaller than I expected.
2) The legibility in low light is awful--screw vintage graphics, give me something I can read.
3) I wasn't that impressed with the sound, but the conditions were not ideal. I guess if I were really serious I would have asked them to put the KB in a good monitoring environment without distractions. Good luck with that.
4) If you're in NYC and want to audition the OB6 in a convivial environment, seek alternatives to GC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYZ View Post
Well, they did still have them when I got there. I had brought my own quality headphones, hoping to audition them properly, most of all the OB-6.

Unfortunately the experience was underwhelming. It didn't sound very special, nothing like what I had heard in the various demos and I'm hoping it's simply because of all the freaking loud noise being made by others .

One guy was a few feet away banging on a piano as loud as he could but there were others too. Even with my closed headphones there is no way I could appreciate whatever was coming out of them. Why do music stores think it's a good idea to hook up all those keyboards and synths to amps? That's just totally ridiculous imho.

What also didn't help was that there was something funky going on with the OB-6 they had on display. For some reason it seemed to be alternating between to different tunings, about 1/2 note apart, about every 10-20 seconds (?). It kept doing that no matter what preset I selected (manual mode was not on, tried that too) and even after cycling the power.

I'm very certain it was not some LFO modulation going on. I'm wondering if perhaps the calibration of the thing was alternating between two different table entries for two different temperatures?

At some point, after about 40 minutes, it suddenly stopped doing this which reinforces my suspicion that it has to do with the calibration. My guess is that the temperature in the store had changed and that it was now picking the same table consistenly. Question to DSI: is there any hysteresis in the 'table-picking' algorithm? If not, perhaps there should be.

The dude on the piano was still there though and the store was actually pretty busy (it was about noon). Unfortunately I had a plane to catch so I couldn't stay any longer.

I guess I'll have to wait a few months until it becomes available in Europe again. Seems like most shops in the Netherlands aren't expecting new shipment until 15 weeks from today! Meanwhile Thomann (Germany) is saying June 3 but I definitely want to audition it first.
Old 21st May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
David against Goliath

demo video

thanks eddy ! Nice work. Once again the 6 emerges sounding much more like the XA than it does the OB-8 in Katsunori's video.

Last edited by wendell r.; 24th May 2016 at 02:54 PM..
Old 21st May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. View Post
thanks eddy ! Nice work. Once again the 6 emerges sounding much more like the XA than it does the OB-8, in Katsunori's video.
For some reason the OB6 sounded embarrassing in the musictrackjp video!
Old 22nd May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Totally winced and braced for a negative impact every time the OBXa finished playing and the OB6 was about to start. But surprisingly, the 6 is really in the same ballpark in terms of weight, heft and punch.

Of course it won't be exactly the same but the family resemblance is strong with these two.
Couldn't have put it better as I had exactly the same reaction - great vid and very much appreciated Eddy72
Old 22nd May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_Jezz View Post
Couldn't have put it better as I had exactly the same reaction - great vid and very much appreciated Eddy72
thank you guys.
Old 22nd May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
David against Goliath...

I really enjoyed that, eddy! Also the review at Amazona!

My favorite moment in the video begins around 6:20 with the filter modulation sequences. This is also where I noticed some of the strongest differences between the OB-Xa and the OB-6. The Xa has this deep, murky almost muffled quality to it that sounds so bad it sounds fantastic. You know what I mean? It's not an easy quality to describe. For me, the OB-6 afterwards sounded too good.

In any case, overall I'm genuinely impressed by the OB-6! I hope I'll have a chance to play one someday! Also, sorry, but I have to say it: it's SO cute!! haha
Old 22nd May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post

My favorite moment in the video begins around 6:20 with the filter modulation sequences. This is also where I noticed some of the strongest differences between the OB-Xa and the OB-6. The Xa has this deep, murky almost muffled quality to it that sounds so bad it sounds fantastic. You know what I mean? It's not an easy quality to describe. For me, the OB-6 afterwards sounded too good.

In any case, overall I'm genuinely impressed by the OB-6! I hope I'll have a chance to play one someday! Also, sorry, but I have to say it: it's SO cute!! haha
I'd best start working on getting more murk out of my OB6 XD
Old 22nd May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post

Hey Clark, thank you for your feedback.
Yes I know what you mean. The Xa sounds a lot deeper as the OB-6. The OB-6 sound is more mid-range but I like it too. I think the OB-6 is the best modern polyphonic analog synth in the moment. The 6 voices is not good. I want 8. And yes he is really cute in comparision to the big battleship Xa.
Old 22nd May 2016
Lives for gear

Randomly ran into Dave Smith after last night's Saturday Night Live taping!

--> Instagram Link
Old 22nd May 2016
Gear Head

Might be having problems with ob 6 staying in tune how would I know for sure if i have a problem?
I have calibrated it a few times by pressing and holding manual then 0 and then letting go with lights flashing afterwards.
i was trying to put it in one my songs but it just seemed really off for some reason playing alongside other things
Old 22nd May 2016
Lives for gear

Hi guys!

I've been pretty ill today and haven't had the energy to shoot a video, however here's some audio of the first 18 patches I've made from scratch.

My jaw couldn't stop hitting the floor when tweaking some of them, so many little sweet spots.

Quite a big mp3 so I put it on mediafire, hope this is ok

OB6 Demo
Old 23rd May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Sounds great, thanks!
Old 23rd May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ADSR_ View Post
Sounds great, thanks!
Cheers! It's a very fun synth.
Old 23rd May 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hi guys!

I've been pretty ill today and haven't had the energy to shoot a video, however here's some audio of the first 18 patches I've made from scratch.

My jaw couldn't stop hitting the floor when tweaking some of them, so many little sweet spots.

Quite a big mp3 so I put it on mediafire, hope this is ok

OB6 Demo
Probably the best and coolest demo I've heard of the OB-6 so far. Sound absolutely stunning!
Old 23rd May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheTop View Post
Probably the best and coolest demo I've heard of the OB-6 so far. Sound absolutely stunning!
Thank you so much, you've inspired me to try and do a whole, at least, 64 patches so that I can offer them as a free download.
Old 23rd May 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thank you so much, you've inspired me to try and do a whole, at least, 64 patches so that I can offer them as a free download.
I was actually just going to ask if you could make some of them available for download..
Anyways, I'm still waiting for my OB-6 but I will of course continue to follow this thread. 64 is a good number.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search