The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim OB6
Old 21st January 2016
Gear Maniac

Oberheim synths have something unique, it's no coincidence that the composer and film maker, John Carpenter he used the SEM and other Oberheim synths in his soundtracks.
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolationBlvd View Post
But doesn't the two-pole mode on the Curtis filter as featured on P08 and P12 have very little resonance? See 8.00.
True. I was not quite serious. While the P08 can get to Obie territory I think it is very safe to say that the OB6 will sound quite different in direct comparison.
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knoch View Post
Sweetwater finally has there pictures up that you can magnify with high clarity.

Dave Smith Instruments OB-6 6-voice Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer | Sweetwater.com
There's a button called "WHL Range"

What's that supposed to do?

edit: Wheel range, so pitch wheel range I guess?
Old 21st January 2016
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Old 21st January 2016
Im coming back to earth a bit...

I remember I tried the P6 and wasn't that blown away...

This sounds cool with an awesome feature set and no doubt is a nice instrument, but its still very clean sounding...I think there will still be a market for vintage analogue, and modern ones...but its great to have the choice

Old 21st January 2016
F5D
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
Sounds good !
However...seems to be only 1 LFO...what on earth are they thinking...
The OB-Xa has 3 LFO´s. One for each layer and one global for vibrato.
I agree. Even Matrix 6 / 1000 has two LFO's. It does not really count even if you can assign osc 2 as LFO. I have a little bit mixed feelings with this synth, as with the Prophet 6. These two synths are really nice sounding synths and Dave finally listened to people putting VCOs and VCFs in them. That is good, but it bugs me big time thinking how much better these two synths would be with 2 LFOs! Dave could have easily put 2 LFOs in this, but then it would have been more than in Prophet 6 so he chose 1 LFO. The same with voices, 6 <-> 6, keyboard 4 oct <-> 4 oct etc. This leads to another point, the design. Although it is kind of cool looking synth, it has alot of similarities with the Prophet 6. I would have differentiated the design a little bit more to make it really unique. It looks a little bit like Prophet 6 wearing a sailing coat. Despite these minor shortcomings, I can see this becoming a very popular synth. Why not, the SEM filter sounds fantastic. I already noticed that the with Pro-2, I prefer it to the 24 dB prophet filter. I will probably keep waiting for the next real flagship from Dave that includes all the goodies presented during the last 3 years. In any case, it is fantastic to see which direction the new synths are going and that Dave is doing well. That means that we will see great new synths in the future too, this is not the end, at all. Somehow it feels like this is just the beginning. Imagine a polyphonic Pro-2 (8 voice) + the Prophet VCOs.
Old 21st January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolationBlvd View Post
But doesn't the two-pole mode on the Curtis filter as featured on P08 and P12 have very little resonance? See 8.00.
Yes, it's very subtle, it removes some bass but that is it. Useful for pads though. It's a lot more prominent and, dare I say it, juicy on the SEM style filter on the Pro 2.
Old 21st January 2016
Gear Addict

one LFO
no thx
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear
Aftertouch knob. Lovely touch. I wish all synths had one.
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

should we buckle up for another knob gate? LOL
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
should we buckle up for another knob gate? LOL
I am betting these are good...

Sound should be the reason to buy, but I guess one person who may only want one and like both, the P6 and OB6, might actually use it as the deciding factor...
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

God damn, brilliant stuff this came out of nowhere
Hope there is a rack version as i dont have the space for any more keyboards
Really want a Prophet 12 rack as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. View Post
Dave Smith Instruments OB-6 6 Voice Analog Synthesizer | Musician's Friend

"The OB-6 is a once-in-a-lifetime collaboration between two of the most influential synth designers in history — Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim. It’s an all-analog, 6-voice poly synth with voltage-controlled oscillators, a state-variable filter, and voltage-controlled amplifiers, inspired by Tom’s original SEM design — the bedrock of his legendary 4-voice and 8-voice synthesizers.
Manufactured and sold by Dave Smith Instruments, the OB-6 features six discrete analog voices with two oscillators (plus sub oscillator) per voice, continuously variable waveshapes with triangle, sawtooth, and variable-width pulse waves, X-mod with 2 sources and 5 destination, a 64-step polyphonic step sequencer, dual digital effects that include faithful recreations of Tom’s acclaimed phase shifter and ring , a full-featured arpeggiator, and a powerful, in-your-face, sonic signature like no other instrument.
This analog is packed into a four-octave, semi-weighted keyboard with velocity and channel aftertouch, making it perfect for stage or studio."

Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
Im coming back to earth a bit...

I remember I tried the P6 and wasn't that blown away...

This sounds cool with an awesome feature set and no doubt is a nice instrument, but its still very clean sounding...I think there will still be a market for vintage analogue, and modern ones...but its great to have the choice

Just finished listening to that vid--- I was too caught up in the other one that was pure melancholy ethereal pad sounds. The latter vid I mention shows off less of the precise character and is more convincingly vintage sounding than P6, but yes, this vid posted above is uber-clean sounding and very stable, precise...not my cup of tea, just like the Prophet-6. If I hadn't watched the 15minute layering pad video and just the one above I wouldn't be very interested. Right now I'm thinking OB6 probably sounds fairly modern but can do a better job reproducing some of the sounds of yesteryears when compared to P6. New SEM sounds fairly modern too so it's no surprise, but I still think it sounds much better than most DSI monosynths for example.
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehlord View Post
3-4 of my pals are saying exactly the same as me. Some own a couple of modern synths, some have a fair bit of older stuff too.

In the real world, this stops a lot of oldskool GAS
I've got quite an extensive experience myself with both old & modern analogs from various companies and it's my personal opinion that there isn't anything substantially "vintage sounding" in the sound demos i've heard. if anything i'd say it's more modern sounding due to it's clean output and stable oscillators. My guess is what you and your friends are hearing are retro oriented patches that make full use of the multimode SEM shaping beefy VCOs through on-board old school FX emulations. That is something you haven't heard yet from previous DSi synth demos. Now where I agree with you is this may indeed "stop a lot of oldskool GAS" (see my previous JP-6 comment) just because the architecture & quality of this poly synth rivals a lot of coveted classics.. but for vintage purists i don't think this will be more a substitute then the P6 is to P5 owners, Minilogue vs Mono/Poly etc..
Old 21st January 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klonfocius View Post
There are rumors Behringer is redesigning and redesigning and redesigning! And that AKAI Dan have been fired due to low sales of poly Wolf!
For real?
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

Absolutely positive!
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovebot View Post
In that vid David Smith says they took Oberheim's SEM and made it polyphonic, so I am willing to bet the VCOs and VCAs are different than the ones in the P6... it sounds much richer and warmer to me than the Prophet-6. The sound is dripping with character... reminiscent of OBX but definitely has its own thing going on that sounds really nice thus far. MORE DEMOS PLEASE!!!
I would LOVE to think that's the case but I'd bet otherwise. I'd imagine Dave is saying they "conceptually" shrunk the SEMs. I imagine it's much more likely, from a business standpoint, that he took the Pro 2s filter, popped it into the P6, and figured licensing with Oberheim would create a lot more interest than "prophet 6, SEM edition."

I notice a few things:
- I don't think it sounds better than the Prophet 6 (because I think they both sound fantastic - to my ears the Prophet 6 has a sort of Roland tinge to the tone)

- It doesn't possess that certain raw vintage tone I'm hearing in OB8 and OBXA videos. And that is fine, but leads me to believe it's the DSI prophet 6 technology instead of some ground up redesign.

Again I'd love to discover it was built ground up instead of using the Pro 2 and Prophet 6 parts. Can't wait to find out for sure!
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
I've got quite an extensive experience myself with both old & modern analogs from various companies and it's my personal opinion that there isn't anything substantially "vintage sounding" in the sound demos i've heard. if anything i'd say it's more modern sounding due to it's clean output and stable oscillators. My guess is what you and your friends are hearing are retro oriented patches that make full use of the multimode SEM shaping beefy VCOs through on-board old school FX emulations. That is something you haven't heard yet from previous DSi synth demos. Now where I agree with you is this may indeed "stop a lot of oldskool GAS" (see my previous JP-6 comment) just because the architecture & quality of this poly synth rivals a lot of coveted classics.. but for vintage purists i don't think this will be more a substitute then the P6 is to P5 owners etc..

I both agree and disagree. My 45 year old ears do hear a lot of vintage sound in there. Even if it is because of retro oriented patches (which it's not), the same retro oriented patches haven't captured my imagination on the P6, P08 or any other modern analogue.

Now I will concede that it's still not 100% Prophet 5 or OB-X territory, but it's close enough that one of these will stop me working out how I'm going to get my hands on one of those old monsters. I'm pretty sure it'll be that way for many, many other people too.

But sure, for the purists it'll be an irrelevance.
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

I think it sounds amazing from what ive heard so far, right up my street

Quote:
Just finished listening to that vid--- I was too caught up in the other one that was pure melancholy ethereal pad sounds. The latter vid I mention shows off less of the precise character and is more convincingly vintage sounding than P6, but yes, this vid posted above is uber-clean sounding and very stable, precise...not my cup of tea, just like the Prophet-6. If I hadn't watched the 15minute layering pad video and just the one above I wouldn't be very interested. Right now I'm thinking OB6 probably sounds fairly modern but can do a better job reproducing some of the sounds of yesteryears when compared to P6. New SEM sounds fairly modern too so it's no surprise, but I still think it sounds much better than most DSI monosynths for example.
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

There's a huge power in these demos that's tangible, and that's why people talk about a "spine tingling" reaction that they haven't had with recent synths. The sheer size of the sound goes back to something like the Matrix 12 and OBXA. I can't think of anything that's sounded that large since then.
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern View Post
Quality sounds...
Thanks.
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehlord View Post
I both agree and disagree. My 45 year old ears do hear a lot of vintage sound in there. Even if it is because of retro oriented patches (which it's not), the same retro oriented patches haven't captured my imagination on the P6, P08 or any other modern analogue.
retro oriented patches made on an extensive synth architecture DSi hasn't achieved previously was my point though (up until the P6 you couldn't even do proper osc cross mod on a DSi synth..) anyways i think we agree this appears to be DSi's finest analog poly even toping last year's effort (gotta almost ask is there a reason to pick up a P6 over an OB6 ? )
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
uber-clean sounding and very stable, precise...
Yes. But Maselec clean, not Mackie clean. For some, that's world of difference. For me cleanest sounding new Moog is Minitaur, which I also consider best sounding new Moog, and, this might sound weird, most vintage sounding, that big open clean tone compared to indistinct, chocked, mushy tone that I connect to "modern" stuff. (for me of course, ymmv) Best sounding filter bar none (and I bredboarded every filter known to men and few unknown) is Ebbe&Flut, and it sounds clean. Like, $1000000 type of clean.
About OB-6, can't say until I play, but so far sounds more than promising.
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
(gotta almost ask is there a reason to pick up a P6 over an OB6 ? )
P6 - Sweetness and power

OB6 - absolutely blistering power, "wall of sound" effect

Obviously those are just preliminary impressions of the latter ..
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
retro oriented patches made on an extensive synth architecture DSi hasn't achieved previously was my point though (up until the P6 you couldn't even do proper osc cross mod on a DSi synth..) anyways i think we agree this appears to be DSi's finest analog poly even toping last year's effort (gotta almost ask is there a reason to pick up a P6 over an OB6 ? )
P6 never did it for me, I actually preferred the P08

P08 and OB6 will make a pretty tasty combo
Old 21st January 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthtonic View Post
This synth It borrows the external design from the Pro 6, actually it's the same board, additionally it has the same 64 step sequencer.
WHOA THERE! Before folks get the wrong idea with all this "repackaged P6" nonsense: According to Dave and Tom's video, this is Tom's SEM tech inside, not a rehash of the P6, although the casing seems to be.
Old 21st January 2016
Gear Head

Anyone wants sell their Xpander to have cash for an OB6 please let me know
Old 21st January 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klonfocius View Post
OB6 is an entire P6 without the 24 pole and the P6 SVF (HP) expanded by 2 resistors to get BP and LP modes add a different panel and there you are by carefully reading through and examine the marketing material. It's one very clever marketing thing! I congratulate Tom and Dave for their cleverness.
Bull****. Stop spreading rumours that are assumptions masked as truth.
Old 21st January 2016
Someone needs to take this OB6 and the new Roland 500 series and do a remake of this...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search